CTek D to DC charger - Page 7





Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Results 121 to 133 of 133
  1. #121
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Walker Bay
    Age
    75
    Posts
    8,886
    Thanked: 861

    Default Re: CTek D to DC charger

    My Ctek has performed superbly for eight years.
    I would buy another tomorrow except for the price. Maybe it is worth it after all!

    ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

  2. #122
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    50
    Posts
    779
    Thanked: 664

    Default Re: CTek D to DC charger

    Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    I bought two WRND dc/dc chargers from 4x4 Direct Centurion almost two years ago and they served me well. During the last few days I noticed that my Aux battery is not charging as always. Looks like the WRND is just putting the load from the alternator/main battery through and might be faulty. Any ideas from the guys in the know-how? 14V when vehicle is running. Attachment 532641Attachment 532642
    Something tells me the answer lies with that extra thin red wire and intelligent alternators! Will try and connect it and see what happens.
    One of the stupid mistakes in life is to underestimate peoples level of stupidity!

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Polokwane
    Age
    53
    Posts
    530
    Thanked: 337

    Default Re: CTek D to DC charger

    Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    Something tells me the answer lies with that extra thin red wire and intelligent alternators! Will try and connect it and see what happens.
    The unit worked well for two years, what has change in your setup in the last few days?

    I would start by checking the battery. Take it out and check the fluid levels and then give it a descent charge with a 220v/12v charger. Check the SOC after about 30 minutes when the load has settled.

    In the meantime try another battery as see what happens?

    Check the normal stuff like fuses, feed current to unit, connection etc.

    Hope you can get it sorted.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

  4. #124
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    50
    Posts
    779
    Thanked: 664

    Default Re: CTek D to DC charger

    Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    The unit worked well for two years, what has change in your setup in the last few days?

    I would start by checking the battery. Take it out and check the fluid levels and then give it a descent charge with a 220v/12v charger. Check the SOC after about 30 minutes when the load has settled.

    In the meantime try another battery as see what happens?

    Check the normal stuff like fuses, feed current to unit, connection etc.

    Hope you can get it sorted.
    I moved it from my sold hilux to a new ranger. Spoke to 4x4 Direct, they advise to connect this red to ignition power point. Will be visiting the shop later on.
    One of the stupid mistakes in life is to underestimate peoples level of stupidity!

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Luka For This Useful Post:


  6. #125
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    White River
    Age
    70
    Posts
    1,087
    Thanked: 710

    Default Re: CTek D to DC charger

    Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    I bought two WRND dc/dc chargers from 4x4 Direct Centurion almost two years ago and they served me well. During the last few days I noticed that my Aux battery is not charging as always. Looks like the WRND is just putting the load from the alternator/main battery through and might be faulty. Any ideas from the guys in the know-how? 14V when vehicle is running. Attachment 532641Attachment 532642
    So does this mean your starter battery was not receiving any charge, it was all going to the aux battery?
    2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon 3.8

  7. #126
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    50
    Posts
    779
    Thanked: 664

    Default Re: CTek D to DC charger

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    So does this mean your starter battery was not receiving any charge, it was all going to the aux battery?
    No, looks like at the moment both batteries are basically connected in parallel. Need to test some more to know exactly.
    One of the stupid mistakes in life is to underestimate peoples level of stupidity!

  8. #127
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    White River
    Age
    70
    Posts
    1,087
    Thanked: 710

    Default Re: CTek D to DC charger

    At a guess I would say the new Ranger has one of those new fangled alternators and you need to connect that small spare wire to the ignition.
    2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon 3.8

  9. #128
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    50
    Posts
    779
    Thanked: 664

    Default Re: CTek D to DC charger

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    At a guess I would say the new Ranger has one of those new fangled alternators and you need to connect that small spare wire to the ignition.
    Looks like it.
    One of the stupid mistakes in life is to underestimate peoples level of stupidity!

  10. #129
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    50
    Posts
    779
    Thanked: 664

    Default Re: CTek D to DC charger

    Ok, so this morning I connected and started the small snomaster on the battery but disconnected power to the WRND. The battery charge obviously dropped by this afternoon. I checked the V on both the Main and Aux battery which was different. Connected the WRND to the Aux and started to the engine. It started loading the battery normally. This without connecting the thin wire to an ignition-power point. It seems the volt meter on the NL box showed a lower than actual float charge which made me think the WRND did not charge. In fact the battery seemed to have sufficient charge for the WRND not to charge the aux. Hope this can help!
    One of the stupid mistakes in life is to underestimate peoples level of stupidity!

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Luka For This Useful Post:


  12. #130
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    White River
    Age
    70
    Posts
    1,087
    Thanked: 710

    Default Re: CTek D to DC charger

    Good news, I'm glad you came right. My NL battery box definitely understates the float state of the aux battery.
    2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon 3.8

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyP For This Useful Post:


  14. #131
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Molopo
    Posts
    365
    Thanked: 73

    Default Re: CTek D to DC charger

    Luka I had similar struggles when I moved my older (pre smart alternator) WRND charger from old Hilux to Amarok. Bought the new version like yours, connected the thin red wire to live, and VOILA issues solved. Connect that wire!

  15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HannoK For This Useful Post:


  16. #132
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    50
    Posts
    779
    Thanked: 664

    Default Re: CTek D to DC charger

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    Good news, I'm glad you came right. My NL battery box definitely understates the float state of the aux battery.
    Interestingly, I made a home made led braai light with a gate-motor battery. On the battery box I installed the same volt indicator (I think lumeno), and this one overstates the float charge.
    One of the stupid mistakes in life is to underestimate peoples level of stupidity!

  17. #133
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Polokwane
    Age
    53
    Posts
    530
    Thanked: 337

    Default Re: CTek D to DC charger

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    So does this mean your starter battery was not receiving any charge, it was all going to the aux battery?
    The WRND dc-dc charger can not "bypass" the main battery to only charge the aux battery.

    Most smart alternators have a extra wire somewhere on the battery that when disconnected takes the "smart" out and it will charge like a normal alternator.

    Best is to have a small multi-meter to check voltage and do fault finding. They are cheap and really helps a lot.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:


Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •