Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: CTek D to DC charger

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    This maybe the important part message.
    You're a great help JLK
    2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon 3.8

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyG View Post
    Overcomplication. Just get a good smart (or 'intelligent' or 'multi-step' or whatever other term the marketing dept. dreamt up) charger and connect it directly to the battery for A/C charging.
    I agree, but if you already have a 12v PSU in your caravan and a dc-dc charger why not using them if posible.

So you it won't damage your chargers if you connect a ac charger and a c-tek dc-dc charger together to a battery, ac for when 220 are availible and 12 v when driving ?

I think I know the answer but these chargers are expensive and I want to be sure before I connect them and see 5k going down the drain.
    Last edited by JacoK; 2019/06/19 at 09:22 PM.
    Fortuner D4D
    Yamaha XT 1200 ZE Super Ténéré

Quote Originally Posted by JacoK View Post
    I agree, but if you already have a 12v PSU in your caravan and a dc-dc charger why not using them if posible.

So you it won't damage your chargers if you connect a ac charger and a c-tek dc-dc charger together to a battery, ac for when 220 are availible and 12 v when driving ?

I think I know the answer but these chargers are expensive and I want to be sure before I connect them and see 5k going down the drain.
    I'm too stupid to know the proper answer, but if you are talking about a DC-DC charger that can draw 20A and a 12V power supply rated at 8A, I feel like bad stuff could be in your near future. An A/C charger isn't all that expensive, you can get decent ones starting around R600. If I compare that to how much was spent on the battery, box,,power sockets, USB sockets, breakers, wiring, fuses, DC-DC unit, etc. it doesn't seem like all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by rob wilson View Post
    Despite travelling for about 7h daily, they were struggling with fridge capacity, and it was not very hot. If there was no AC power at night, the fridge would shut down before dawn the day.
    Something seems a little off with this scenario. My WRND can "only" give the aux battery 20A max when powered by the alternator. By contrast, my 120W solar panel cannot hope to supply anything close to 20A, and yet when I'm camping it has my battery full within 4-5 hours of sunrise, even on a cloudy day. That's with my fridge set up under my canvas tent, which gets pretty hot. So I'm not sure how they are struggling to keep an aux battery full using a DC-DC charger to run a fridge in a (presumably) air conditioned vehicle.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HeavyG For This Useful Post:

For any one interested. Mida have the PSA008 2/8amp 9 stage smart charger on special at the moment for 999. Bargin price for an excellent little charger

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mplester For This Useful Post:

So after 6 pages of advice, for which I'm extremely thankful, I have decided to go the WRND route mounted to the side of my NL battery box. Although some posts indicated other routes, many members have done this and are all very happy with their set-up.
    Thanks to every contributor, it is highly appreciated.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TonyP For This Useful Post:

I do agree with HeavyG. Setup with wrnd charger and 240W solar panel. I have tested my setup for a week. Battery in paralell - one bat dying while the other one does the work can only happen when you connect to B1 + and -. If you connet B1+ and B2 - they are charging and discharging pretty equal. Good decision Tony.
    2002 Discovery td5

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nambro For This Useful Post:

I'm too stupid to know the proper answer, but if you are talking about a DC-DC charger that can draw 20A and a 12V power supply rated at 8A, I feel like bad stuff could be in your near future. An A/C charger isn't all that expensive, you can get decent ones starting around R600. If I compare that to how much was spent on the battery, box,,power sockets, USB sockets, breakers, wiring, fuses, DC-DC unit, etc. it doesn't seem like all that much.
    I would think in this case, the PSU would basically be your alternator. It can only deliver a max of 8 amps and that's it.

The dc to dc charger in turn can deliver a maximum of 20 amps when the volts input to it are sufficient. It cannot "draw" more than what can be delivered by the PSU.

I see no problem with this.
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

Something seems a little off with this scenario. My WRND can "only" give the aux battery 20A max when powered by the alternator. By contrast, my 120W solar panel cannot hope to supply anything close to 20A, and yet when I'm camping it has my battery full within 4-5 hours of sunrise, even on a cloudy day. That's with my fridge set up under my canvas tent, which gets pretty hot. So I'm not sure how they are struggling to keep an aux battery full using a DC-DC charger to run a fridge in a (presumably) air conditioned vehicle.
    Agree with this. There are too many other possible scenarios as to why they struggled with that setup.

One has to know the exact circumstances applicable to each case to make a correct diagnosis, (fridge not ventilating adequately, opening the lid 20 time an hour, continuously adding warm foodstuffs to it, not taking thermal capacity into account, inadequate wiring, standing in direct sunlight at times, faulty batteries, batteries not having full SOC when the trip began......the list goes on and on)
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Die SwartKat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    So after 6 pages of advice, for which I'm extremely thankful, I have decided to go the WRND route mounted to the side of my NL battery box.
    I do believe you did the right thing.

For the price of the C-Tek (in Souf Effrika) it is hugely overpriced and do NOT do what it is advertising and supposed to do 100%.

I am yet to hear anyone explain how the charging curve and charging voltage can be the same for a flooded lead acid battery and an AGM Deep cycle battery. The chemistry is slightly different and so should the charging profile be. BUT IT IS NOT. The C-tek has no way of telling which chemistry your battery is. Unless someone can correct me?

The $190 for the WRND then seems to do the same job at a lot less $$$.

I have sent WRND an email about a week ago and then a follow up email. Have not heard back from them with regards to full specs and also if they will ship to Oz.
    Does anyone have a contact there perhaps?
    No more Jeeps for me for a while.
    2009 Ford Ranger PK 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by jdjoubert View Post
    I have sent WRND an email about a week ago and then a follow up email. Have not heard back from them with regards to full specs and also if they will ship to Oz.
    His cell number is on the website. I liaised with him via phone call and WhatsApp when I was arranging to buy mine a couple of years ago as there was some problem with his payment processor at the time. I can't see why he would object to shipping to Oz.
    Last edited by HeavyG; 2019/06/25 at 01:51 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to HeavyG For This Useful Post:

His cell number is on the website. I liaised with him via phone call and WhatsApp when I was arranging to buy mine a couple of years ago as there was some problem with his payment processor at the time. I can't see why he would object to shipping to Oz.
    Thanks, I will have a look at the website and try ringing him rather.
    No more Jeeps for me for a while.
    2009 Ford Ranger PK 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by jdjoubert View Post

Try https://4x4direct.co.za/dc-to-dc-cha...olar-mppt.html ask if they ship internationally.

Edit:

DELIVERY

Shipping Terms & Conditions
    4x4 Direct ships parcels World Wide.
    For local courier we use "The Courier Guy" and BEX
    For international couriers we use BEX

https://4x4direct.co.za/content/1-delivery
    Last edited by DC Polokwane; 2019/06/25 at 02:03 PM.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

Now for the next question to all you boffins.
    I have the WRND controller hooked to my 105a/hr Dixon aux battery. What solar panel would you guys recommend?
    I see guys are ranging between 120W panels to 240W panels. WRND say anything from 50W to 250W

Depending on needs I would look at 2x 80w or even 2x 100w.
    The open circuit voltage on a 240 will be 38v or so which is to high I think for the wrnd. Panels upto 150w are usually a max of around 18v which is not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    Now for the next question to all you boffins.
    I have the WRND controller hooked to my 105a/hr Dixon aux battery. What solar panel would you guys recommend?
    I see guys are ranging between 120W panels to 240W panels. WRND say anything from 50W to 250W
    I use 2 x 120w panels. (240w/12amp theoretical) Panel in parallel.

I would suggest that you first check your space for transporting them then visit a site like 4x4Direct for the sizes of the panels.

Keep in mind that a 80w panel will give you about 4amps. 100w/5amps 120w/6amps (best case scenario)

How much do you need to replace per day?

Some campsites will only allow 4 or 5 hours of direct sunlight.

I use the panels from 4x4Direct.

Light fold-able panels like Flexopower are very nice but rather expensive.

There are also semi-flexible panel which it somewhere in between.

PS. Keep in mind that during the day when you are on solar you need to feed the fridge (2-4amp) and have enough xtra to also charge the battery.

Example: Your fridge use 3amps average, 2 x 80w panels can give you 8amps, so the xtra 5amps is going into the battery. During the night (18:00- 08:00) you used 42 amp/h (3amp/h x 14) You now need to replace the 42/5amps=8 hours of good direct sunlight.

8 hours of direct sun is scares.

That's why Fluffy suggested that one should work on 4 hour in planning ones setup.

So 240w (2 x 120w) will give you 12amps minus the 3 of the fridge is 9amps into the battery. 42/9amps = 4.6 which means that theoretically you can fill up your battery in 5 hours.

There are a LOT of variables on this scenarios so don't take it as gospel but rather just as an indication.

Hope it helps.
    Last edited by DC Polokwane; 2019/06/26 at 12:31 PM.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

Thanks Mark and DC, exactly the info I needed. I'll check around for a few options based on your guide lines.

WRND unit arrived to day, so I'll be busy wiring it all up tomorrow. I'll report back once done.
    Congrats to 4X4 Direct, excellent service and got exactly what I ordered when it came to clamps, BH plugs etc
    Last edited by TonyP; 2019/06/28 at 04:59 PM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to TonyP For This Useful Post:

I bought two WRND dc/dc chargers from 4x4 Direct Centurion almost two years ago and they served me well. During the last few days I noticed that my Aux battery is not charging as always. Looks like the WRND is just putting the load from the alternator/main battery through and might be faulty. Any ideas from the guys in the know-how? 14V when vehicle is running. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190701_161711.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	532641Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190701_161708.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	532642
    One of the stupid mistakes in life is to underestimate peoples level of stupidity!

Will be returning my WRND to 4x4 Direct soon as it failed this holiday on our Wildcoast trip. Had to rely on my trusted Victron MPPT regulator and function without the vehicle dc-dc charge option. Bit frustrated but will ask them what went wrong. It shows standby but does not send any voltage through even if vehicle pushes 14.4V and pv panel output on 21.1V.
    Jannie
    2007 Fortuner D4D 4x4
    2017 Fortuner GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast