CTek D to DC charger

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default CTek D to DC charger

Good day Gentlemen, I have been looking around at DC to DC systems for my Jeep and the CTek D250S charger/controller seems to come highly recommended. What are the feelings of you clever guys on this forum. I am completely dumb on this subject, and therefore finding out the best way forward is important to me.
    Last edited by TonyP; 2019/06/10 at 09:46 AM.
    2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon 3.8

Default Re: CTek D to DC charger

Tony, they are great. I have 2 and no issues.
    2016 LC 200 VX, 2014 D4 SDV6 HSE(sold),2015 Suzuki Jimny, 2019 VW Tiguan 4mtion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), "A little Red Car", Swambo 2013 A3 Sportback Quattro, Bush Lapa Baobab 1873, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

Thanks Bruce, at a little over R5000, I can't afford a mistake so your input is highly appreciated

The only negative thing I can say about them is the relative low input voltage (23V) they can take on the solar input. That will limit your choice in solar panels.

Have a look at these. Awesome support.

https://www.nationalluna.com/product...or-and-charger
    Gavin

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gavpike For This Useful Post:

Worth the money and does not skip a beat
    '01 Isuzu Frontier 280 4x4
    63mm Bosal downpipe/Powerflow freeflow exhaust system
    2"lift
    Rancho S9000 adjustable front shocks
    Camil coil-over rear shocks
    TJM alu front bumper
    Madman EGT/water level monitor
    Extreme Lights Night Raider LED spots
    BFG KO2 AT 235/85/16

Look at the new National Luna one, it's brilliant and you can get (optional) display monitor.
    Geoff Craig
    '98 Suzuki Samurai - Sami the Samurai
    '09 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 (M)
    '10 Conqueror Comfort

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Wave For This Useful Post:

Ctek - excellent.
    There are cheaper alternatives now.
    Lots of posts in the forum.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Dold For This Useful Post:

Did you have a look at the WRND charger - for me its money better spent, CTEk and the NL is just to expensive

https://4x4direct.co.za/dc-to-dc-cha...olar-mppt.html
    Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 DI-D 4x4
    BL925 - Ratel 4

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charlie100 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie100 View Post
    Did you have a look at the WRND charger - for me its money better spent, CTEk and the NL is just to expensive

https://4x4direct.co.za/dc-to-dc-cha...olar-mppt.html
    I thought so too until I looked at the specs of the NL, it's designed to be installed in an engine bay, it's got its waterproof rating, it can take the engine bay heat and that monitor screen is just brilliant, you can see any voltage at anytime.
    Geoff Craig
    '10 Conqueror Comfort

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wave For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wave View Post
    I thought so too until I looked at the specs of the NL, it's designed to be installed in an engine bay, it's got its waterproof rating, it can take the engine bay heat and that monitor screen is just brilliant, you can see any voltage at anytime.
    Not really the best place to mount your charging unit - heat and charging isnt good friends - you would want your unit (whichever you choose) to not be close to heat - but thats your choice - or if possible mount it in front of the radiator to get air cooled - WRND i suspect also has an IP rating, not sure what it is - I have seen some mounted in the engine bays, and they have been running fine for the last 3000 odd kms

PS - what are you going to do with the info of the monitor... not like you can make it charge faster or slower, its just going to keep on doing what it should and programmed to do
    BL925 - Ratel 4

Not really the best place to mount your charging unit - heat and charging isnt good friends - you would want your unit (whichever you choose) to not be close to heat - but thats your choice - or if possible mount it in front of the radiator to get air cooled - WRND i suspect also has an IP rating, not sure what it is - I have seen some mounted in the engine bays, and they have been running fine for the last 3000 odd kms

PS - what are you going to do with the info of the monitor... not like you can make it charge faster or slower, its just going to keep on doing what it should and programmed to do
    Yes, but you can take corrective action if there is a problem and be forwarned if there is a problem and fix it, or if it is a load problem change your useage profile.

Information is valuable. Would you be happy if your car had no instruments and you had to guess how fast you where going, how much fuel you had, that it may or may not be overheating, that the alternator had stopped charging and that you had left a turn signal indicator on.

The display tells you the present status of your battery, your load characteristics, and your charge characteristics. At least you will know if something is wrong and not find out when your meat is vrot and your beers are warm. Things like a faulty/loose/unconnected connection from the alternator or Solar panel, faulty or unconnected fridge. Knowing the batteries status and capacity helps you to manage the situation.

Basically without a display you are blind stumbling around in the dark hoping for the best.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Yes, but you can take corrective action if there is a problem and be forwarned if there is a problem and fix it, or if it is a load problem change your useage profile.

Information is valuable. Would you be happy if your car had no instruments and you had to guess how fast you where going, how much fuel you had, that it may or may not be overheating, that the alternator had stopped charging and that you had left a turn signal indicator on.

The display tells you the present status of your battery, your load characteristics, and your charge characteristics. At least you will know if something is wrong and not find out when your meat is vrot and your beers are warm. Things like a faulty/loose/unconnected connection from the alternator or Solar panel, faulty or unconnected fridge. Knowing the batteries status and capacity helps you to manage the situation.

Basically without a display you are blind stumbling around in the dark hoping for the best.
    Yes I realize my comment was incorrectly stated, information is required

There is cheaper options and not necessarily "goed koop is duur koop" options

For the R6000 that the NL is going for you can buy the following - not listed is the 150W solar panel at R1500 that was out of stock and could not be added to the list - i might have missed one or 2 things, its just that for R6000 you can get a total solution OR just a NL (with a monitor) OR a D250s (without a monitor)
    Name:  WRND with accesories.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  81.2 KB
    BL925 - Ratel 4

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie100 For This Useful Post:

Yes I realize my comment was incorrectly stated, information is required

There is cheaper options and not necessarily "goed koop is duur koop" options

For the R6000 that the NL is going for you can buy the following - not listed is the 150W solar panel at R1500 that was out of stock and could not be added to the list - i might have missed one or 2 things, its just that for R6000 you can get a total solution OR just a NL (with a monitor) OR a D250s (without a monitor)
    Name:  WRND with accesories.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  81.2 KB
    Correct, and that is a good choice. However just be aware that you aren't comparing apples with apples. There are some major and very important differences.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Ok, so now I'm even more foncused than before, however all the input is highly appreciated. I guess it goes along with the old saying, there are more that one way to skin a cat.
    Not knowing very much on this subject, I would rather listen to you guys who have been there, done that than some slick salesman. So the question is where to from here.
    I need to charge my second battery that runs my fridge and maybe a light or two. I want to be able to do this in the most economical way and not have to worry too much about having flat batteries.
    I do not spend days at a particular camp sight and prefer to keep on the move. I just don't think that the alternator can handle the charging on it's own and probably need some additional charging capability.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    Ok, so now I'm even more foncused than before, however all the input is highly appreciated. I guess it goes along with the old saying, there are more that one way to skin a cat.
    Not knowing very much on this subject, I would rather listen to you guys who have been there, done that than some slick salesman. So the question is where to from here.
    I need to charge my second battery that runs my fridge and maybe a light or two. I want to be able to do this in the most economical way and not have to worry too much about having flat batteries.
    I do not spend days at a particular camp sight and prefer to keep on the move. I just don't think that the alternator can handle the charging on it's own and probably need some additional charging capability.
    What is your budget?
    Do you already have a second battery?
    If yes, what type of battery is it?
    Is everything just going to be in the car, or is it for a caravan?
    Do you already have the wiring and fuses?
    BL925 - Ratel 4

I agree with you fully, the OP asked about the Ctek, now comparing that price range to the NL unit there is not much between them, for a little more investment the OP will have a premium DC to DC charger that can be mounted anywhere, and have the display (benifits pointed out above)

Yes the WRND is a brilliant unit for the price, I just recall it no being waterproof and it prefers being away from engine bay heat. HCDP also make a similar unit. These are great, especially for mounting in a caravan or trailer, as then the NL monitor is useless as in a different vehicle as such.

I just think the NL is tops at the price level it sits at in the market, and if the dual battery system is mounted in a vehicle then the access to all that info is, to me, worth the investment.
    Geoff Craig
    '10 Conqueror Comfort

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Wave For This Useful Post:

Tony the fact that you are installing the 2nd battery in your Jeep tells me it's going inside the vehicle. Personally I would go Wrnd as it's half the price, does what you need and when using solar it has an auto switch. I have my aux in the back of mine with an hcdp unit and as much as I love it the manual switch is something I don't like.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to mplester For This Useful Post:

What is your budget?
    Do you already have a second battery?
    If yes, what type of battery is it?
    Is everything just going to be in the car, or is it for a caravan?
    Do you already have the wiring and fuses?
    Yes, I have one of the NL battery boxes with built in solenoid.
    The battery is a 105ah Dixon
    The fridge and battery are in the car usually, but I also carry them in the trailer from time to time.
    The cable and fuse from the starter battery to a BH plug in the back of the car is already in place. When I put the fridge and battery in the trailer I have an extension with BH plugs on either end to run from the car to the trailer.

The Jeep's alternator isn't a hugely powerful piece of kit in terms of output and I just feel it needs a bit of assistance in keeping both batteries full. When the fridge and battery are in the car I can cope because I don't like sitting in one place and tend to drive around quite a bit, however if SWAMBO feels the need to sit and chill for a few days I need to get juice to the battery.
    The way I see it, there is a choice of a plug n' play unit like the Ctek or NL or a build from the various components. Electricity is not my game so I am leaning towards the plug n' play option.
    Last edited by TonyP; 2019/06/11 at 06:46 AM.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast