Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Default Re: Robbery at Manyane (Pilanesberg) - 1 robber killed

Not on my Bucket List >> Pilansberg
    Hilux 2.5 Litre DC 2015 4x2
    Summit Everest Trailer Full House

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Betts For This Useful Post:

We stayed at Bakgatla on the long weekend beginning of April and had a fantastic time. The campsites are still pretty much the same and they still had a water problem but they had a huge water truck coming every couple of hours to top up somewhere so we never had a problem with water.

The ablutions are still old and run down but even with the campsite at about 80% capacity everyone managed and they were kept rather clean except for some of the toilets which often stop flushing and then become a mess.

The little shop at the campsite was a disappointment. It hardly had anything and even on the long weekend when they could coin it they didn't have wood, eventually they got wood later in the weekend.

Pilanesberg camp sites could be one of the best, the park is awesome the roads inside not so much, but it is managed like a spaza shop.
    2012 Pajero Sport 3.2 A/T
    2020 Forester 2.0IS CVT
    EX: 2001 colt V6, 2010 jimny

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to whatyamacallit For This Useful Post:

Manyane restaurant and reception burnt down a few months ago.

Google it, not sure what the state of the resort is now days.

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...0-Manyane-fire there, I found it
    Last edited by Caracal; 2024/04/23 at 08:54 AM.
    Toyota Fortuner 4.0 V6 4x4
    2011 Mazda 2 Auto "Die Dorp Karretjie"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Caracal For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Please let me have contact details and I will do the same if that is OK with you.
    Please also let me have contact details of the CEO.
    We used a Chalet & a Campsite at Bakgatla, in December 2023, to celebrate an 80 year old family members birthday.
    We specifically booked a Chalet, because we wanted the elderly person to be comfortable - we used the Campsite ourselves, which is what we prefer.
    What a mistake!!
    This was during a heatwave - the aircon didn't work in the Chalet,neither did the Stove.
    We complained, and we were moved to the Chalet next door - so we had to pack up everything and unpack again after the first night.Nobody offered to assist us with the move.
    We got into the new Chalet,and the Aircon also didn't work along with the Stove & the Fridge....We complained again, & were given 2 Fans that moved the 38 Deg air around! These four nights cost nearly R 10k
    When we left we attempted to complain at Reception - I told my wife not to waste her time - I was going to report everthing to the CEO of Golden Leopard.
    That's why I need his email address - I trawled the internet,but couldn't find his contact details.The best I could find was a letter written by him to "all Bakgatla visitors" apologising for the poor conditions & service at Bakgatla.
    This letter was in response to dozens of letters of complaint from visitors - all declaring that they would never return.
    What's interesting about this robbery,is that the client had his firearm with him - I wonder if it was declared,as it's illegal to bring firearms into the park otherwise.
    I always do exactly the same thing,for exactly the same reason......and I don't bother to declare it.
    What a place we live in!

Quote Originally Posted by SafariCamper View Post
    Please also let me have contact details of the CEO.
    We used a Chalet & a Campsite at Bakgatla, in December 2023, to celebrate an 80 year old family members birthday.
    We specifically booked a Chalet, because we wanted the elderly person to be comfortable - we used the Campsite ourselves, which is what we prefer.
    What a mistake!!
    This was during a heatwave - the aircon didn't work in the Chalet,neither did the Stove.
    We complained, and we were moved to the Chalet next door - so we had to pack up everything and unpack again after the first night.Nobody offered to assist us with the move.
    We got into the new Chalet,and the Aircon also didn't work along with the Stove & the Fridge....We complained again, & were given 2 Fans that moved the 38 Deg air around! These four nights cost nearly R 10k
    When we left we attempted to complain at Reception - I told my wife not to waste her time - I was going to report everthing to the CEO of Golden Leopard.
    That's why I need his email address - I trawled the internet,but couldn't find his contact details.The best I could find was a letter written by him to "all Bakgatla visitors" apologising for the poor conditions & service at Bakgatla.
    This letter was in response to dozens of letters of complaint from visitors - all declaring that they would never return.
    What's interesting about this robbery,is that the client had his firearm with him - I wonder if it was declared,as it's illegal to bring firearms into the park otherwise.
    I always do exactly the same thing,for exactly the same reason......and I don't bother to declare it.
    What a place we live in!

These were the details in 2019. when I started this thread. Not sure if they are still the same.

GM of Golden Leopard Resorts: [email protected] and the Manager of Manyane: [email protected]
    Toyota Fortuner 4.0 V6 4x4
    2011 Mazda 2 Auto "Die Dorp Karretjie"

As jy na die omgewing kyk daar kan jy niks anders verwag nie.

What a sad state of events, well done to the Responsible Armed Person that did the right thing, defended his family and in the process quite possibly saved many more lives. My final decision to leave South Africa was on the 13th Nov last year and I still look into to the terrible state where my fellow citizens have to live and how their and my former "home" has sunk into a Sh.th.le of note. I so feel the pain for those going through this.

At 60 it was tough to move, not being able to speak the language and starting over but it was worth it a million times over. May the victims receive the respect from the Courts and the support from the Community. Because as sure as night follows day some idiot leftie will prattle on about "guns" and "white privileges'".

I thought I'd share a bit while sitting at Manyane sipping a beer at 14:00 on a Tuesday in the middle of May.

We are here on a timeshare week that's been in the inlaws family for years.

The Manyane reception is now at the education centre. Our unit is clean, all appliances working and in good condition. The "4 sleeper" unit is one bedroom with two single beds and a sleeper couch in the living room. The unit is really weird in terms of layout, and a bit cramped.

But it's really all we need for 4 nights.

There are a few campers (probably 15 sites or so occupied). From what I can see, there are about 4 chalets occupied (mostly old people).

Probably 12 or so chalets burnt down last year in September. (Coincidentally, I was also here that weekend, camping for a Sun City golf tour).

Then the main reception, restaurant and entertainment area also burnt down in Feb this year.

All the burn sites are just surrounded by a green shade net. There has been no work done on any of these sites.

The place feels neglected, but I can't say that it's bad. I would stay here again, and the campsite is all good. (I popped into the ablutions, and everything looks clean).

Pilanesberg rewards with great sightings. This morning we saw elephant, a lot of rhinos, a brown hyena, 2x buffalo sightings (each time a lone bull) and lots of general game.

Dinokeng has much better camping options, but cannot compare on game viewing.
    Stephan G

4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

"All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Groenman For This Useful Post:

Tonight is our last night at Manyane. While sitting outside this afternoon, two ladies in dresses and boots stroll past, notepads in hand. They greet and enquire if all is well.

One introduced herself as the resort GM (I missed her name). We chat, and there's clearly some uncertainty whether the shareholders will front up the money to fix everything.

We saw lions stalking waterbuck yesterday right next to Mankwe dam. This afternoon the big 5 was rounded off by a leopard sighting. So we really enjoyed our stay and the week in Pilanesberg.

Safety wise - there's a security guard patrolling. He just told me everything is quiet tonight, and I don't have to worry he is right nearby. Honestly speaking, with the camp so quiet, one does feel exposed knowing what has happened in the past. It's sad that it's so quiet, but without a new plan and a new vision I can't see it getting better - and that's a shame, because in my mind I can imagine what a Sanparks camp (like Satara or Shingwedzi) would feel like here. It would be booked out 24/7!
    Stephan G

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Groenman For This Useful Post:

Anyone been here the last month, is it safe and can you recommend it? Want to take the kids to Sun City for a day or two, but we're happy campers. If not safe, is there any other camping options near sun city

Quote Originally Posted by Jorrie1979 View Post
    Anyone been here the last month, is it safe and can you recommend it? Want to take the kids to Sun City for a day or two, but we're happy campers. If not safe, is there any other camping options near sun city
    As above, we were there for a week.

In the school holidays there will be quite a few more campers, so should be fine.
    Stephan G

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Groenman For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6