Robbery at Manyane (Pilanesberg) - 1 robber killed - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Robbery at Manyane (Pilanesberg) - 1 robber killed

This is definitely no good. I am unarmed and has no plans. May the armed campers keep shooting, maybe we'll be left alone once the criminals know the campers are armed. Nobody wants to experience something like this ever.

2015 3.2TDCi Ford Ranger WildTrak 4x4 Auto
    2011 3.0TDCi Ford Ranger WildTrak 4x4 Manual
    2006 4.0L V6 Ford Ranger 4x4
    2005 2.5L Turbo Mazda S/C 4X2

Golden leopard resorts are/were fully aware of the issues at both Bagatla and Manyane, it is unlikely that anything will be done, in a post a few years back I was ridiculed by many for my complaints on the condition of both sites and the deterioration over the years and lack of professionalism amongst there staff. This was inevitable , the state of the restaurant is anything but professional and this is meant to be the face of the NW to foreign visitors, the Pillansburg center is a disgrace and it is a top prime site.

If you want to see what Pillanesburg will look like in a few years go look at borakalolo past Brits...

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hawkeye For This Useful Post:

The problem at Borakalo - one if my favourite places - is that their two camps were designed, set up and funded via the support of the former Bop. Govt as influenced, supported and guided by uncle Sol, Sun City and its sophisticated team. There was an understanding and appreciation of the importance of tourism and particularly international tourism by the "team" of the fledgling independent State of Bop. and the Sun City team - leaving aside the fact that Bop. was doomed never to be recognised internationally as an independant State and its status as such would never last. That never entered the minds of "the team" in those days with their single minded focus on maximising the tourist potential of the area - and lets face it - they did it with a flair and brilliance not experienced anywhere else in the country (except maybe on Durbans grand hotel mile) and in the process they spared no expense. This was the same with the camps in Pilansberg.

Inevitably the changes came, many things changed and radically. Sun City's business model had to adapt and change from the heady grand vision it was and with it there is now little interest in the camps in the Pilansberg and no interest in the camps at Borakalalo. Borakalalo is now also just another provincial nature reserve there mainly to provide a measure of protection to the dam and local water source it constitutes. This also paved the way to sell off the business rights to the camps in Pilansberg and Borakalalo (with the existing already paid for infrastructure) to no doubt those with links to the politically empowered. They, in turn, have just milked the profits with just the bare minimum being plowed back re maintenance (forget any improvements) and in the case of the infrastructure at the camps at Borakakalo nothing has been put back - the tents, ablutions and other structures have just slowly degraded and become more and more unusable over time. Even the efforts of the Friends of Borakalalo seem to have come to an end as being pointless. The tar road route to Borakalalo the nearer you get is crumbling more and more to dirt.

But here is the thing - Borakalalo will remain a nature reserve, is an awsome birding site, is a great drive and has great walks along the river and at least in this regard will remain. Ironically it is now more a place for self sufficient overlanders with rooftop tents or vehicles converted to sleep in. If you want to camp at the river camp at a good spot by the river you will probably still be required to pay for a standing tent - but forget sleeping in it (I had a bed collapse on me in one) the tents are falling apart more and more. Just camp next to it. The gas geysers in the ablutions are finished (last time I was there). Rather use your wild camping shower system. And yes some local little sh-ts probably living in the staff village in the reserve might possibly come by at night to see if they can take a gap so bring your gun, pepper spray and bullwhip and tell the camp attendant (nice guy) when you arrive to spread the word that if anyone tries anything they will wind up dead so they had better stay away - and then enjoy.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Roadman For This Useful Post:

Most of the parks in South Africa, specifically in the historic Transvaal have gone down the tubes, I am involved in many of them and can say that there is absolutely no commitment from management or staff to run a tight clean and efficient reserve . They have little understanding of economics and the bearing there attitude has on the income generated. The staff have the general attitude of “you owe me” ……… and I can do as I please.

They have little realisation that when the funds dry up there will not be any thing for them.Golden Leopard resorts is no different ……… there management is bad from the top down , reason for this conclusion is simple , few years back (20) the place was very different, the restaurants at both Manyane and Bagatla were decent with active and willing staff, now it seems as if the staff are doing you a favour by helping with anything, this is indicative of bad management.

I personally believe that the only way to correct the situation is to stay away , complaining won’t help so hurt their pockets. I have many visitors from abroad and at one stage loved going to one of the resorts at Pillanesburg , now I seldom go to Pillanesburg , never mind the bad resorts. In the days of Peter Leitner, (NW Parkboard) I could actually speak to him about concerns , and something would be done, even though golden leopard was not part of the reserve, now nothing happens at all, I now take foreign visitors to private reserves and lodges. There is absolutely no way I can support a derelict and inefficient environment.

I may be the only one complaining but believe me I am not the only one thinking like this, in my environment I talk to people daily who have similar passions to myself and without fail those that have been to Pillanesburg have similar experiences.

Ivory tree lodge and Kwa Maritane are in a different leagues as well as Bakubang but ultimately if the security issue is not addressed successfully it will impact the larger Pillanesburg area as well, as they already have a serious poaching problem and this is an obvious precursor to wilder things to come.

The recent shooting at Manyane is sad, not for the perpetrator but for the victim, who was the victim, well defiantly not the dead guy. Weather the management like to believe it or not, this incident is going to have a profound effect on tourism from a South African citizen perspective.
    Last edited by Hawkeye; 2019/06/13 at 02:20 PM.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hawkeye For This Useful Post:

Golden Leopard Resorts (SOC) LTD Registration Number 1988/070093/30
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Non-Executive Directors: Mr T Shai (Chairperson), Ms M Matabane, Executive: Ms. S Mudramuthoo (Acting Chief Executive Officer) Tel: 014 555 1000 Postal Address: PO Box 6651 Rustenburg 0300 Page 1 of 2

11 June 2019 Media Release

Security upgrades to be fast-tracked following Manyane Resort robbery incident

Security upgrades to be fast-tracked following Manyane Resort robbery incident The planned installation of an electric fence with security cameras will be fast-tracked following a robbery incident at the Manyane Resort on Saturday 8 June 2019. At approximately 21:00 that evening, a group of four or five assailants gained access to one of the chalets through an open door. The attackers bore knives and threatened the married couple. After attempts by the husband to chase out the attackers were unsuccessful, he fatally shot one and wounded another. The remaining assailants fled on foot with a laptop and its bag. Resort security, management and the local police were swiftly on the scene. While SAPS members took statements and processed the scene, the Resortís Management supported the couple and moved them to another chalet, where a security guard was also posted. In the months leading up the incident, Golden Leopard Resorts engaged with Pilanesberg management on the security challenges following breaches in the latter part of 2018 and early 2019. Thanks to that, the patrolling of the perimeters and at the Resort have increased. An additional measure is the installation of electric fencing around the camp. Work has already begun in the clearing of the bush and the digging of the trench. The management of Golden Leopard Reports will ensure that this project is fast-tracked and additional manpower from our sister resorts are acquired to speed up the construction. An ongoing concern for the resort is that of a nearby tavern operating into late hours on Friday and Saturday nights. On many occasions has the resort raised its concerns regarding the tavern with the municipality and the local police station. Apart from the noise disturbance, there is a huge consumption of alcohol and rowdiness at the tavern, which seems to correlate with incidents at the resort on Friday and Saturday evenings. Golden Leopard Resorts will intensify its efforts to come to an amicable agreement regarding the tavern. From security tracking, it can be seen that footprints lead into the park and disappear in several directions near the fence towards the main roads. It can be assumed that these criminal elements have found ways to breach the Park fence bordering the local towns and trek through the park towards lighted areas such as Manyane. Golden Leopard Resorts assures its guests that it is considering all possible measures to increase the security in its resorts and improve the safety of its guests. As an immediate intervention, the resort has recalled all security staff from leave and off days so that there is more security on sight during the upcoming long weekend and school holidays. Our security personnel from our sister resort in Mahikeng will also be re-deployed to Manyane adding

Page 2 of 2
    to more warm bodies patrolling. The main gate to the camp as well as the entrance gate will close at 20h00 and any guest wishing to exit or leave the resort to access nearby facilities such as Sun City must produce a special pass out signed by either the Security Manager or the Resort GM. Guests arriving late to the resort must please ensure they have their reservation booking as confirmation and notify our reception so that they can alert the security. Every vehicle entering the resort at both gates will be thoroughly searched and we ask guests to exercise patience when there are queues. We value our guests and their experiences and will endeavour to ensure that we do everything in our power to provide a safe and secure environment, we are aware that criminal elements will try to find ways to overcome such and therefore we want to also advise our guests and day visitors to please be vigilant and if at any point you notice anyone or anything that seems suspicious, please immediately bring it to our attention via the front office, security or resort manager.

Release ends

For enquiries contact

1. Manyane Resort General Manager Stephinah Tshehla [email protected] 066 481 0601
    2. Marketing Manager Mirriam Phalatse [email protected]
    Attached Files Attached Files

Perhaps in time once Africa Parks have sorted out their National Parks projects in Malawi and other countries they might add a focus of smaller provincial reserves including in RSA. This might be a practical positive.

I don't see anything in the resort company directorate statement to the effect that any and all director and senior management bonuses and salary increases and dividends to shareholders will be cancelled and the money employed as operating capital until all promised security upgrades and permanent security strategies are in place and fully paid for/financed/covered going forward. That constitutes real accountability, accepting responsibility and putting your money where your mouth is. Remember your paying guest could have been the one killed - and then ?

Quote Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
    I don't see anything in the resort company directorate statement to the effect that any and all director and senior management bonuses and salary increases and dividends to shareholders will be cancelled and the money employed as operating capital until all promised security upgrades and permanent security strategies are in place and fully paid for/financed/covered going forward. That constitutes real accountability, accepting responsibility and putting your money where your mouth is. Remember your paying guest could have been the one killed - and then ?
    In what dreamworld do you live There will never be a director or shareholders that will forfeit any money Shareholders invest for profit nothing else and directors don't work for love and charity, if and when they work.
    Worst reality is that conservation is low on the priorities list and being a provincial park makes it even lower on the line for public funding. Had it not been that Pilanesberg was somewhat of an international cash cow it would have looked the same as Borakolalo. More than one camper has been robbed and even killed in this little birding gem. You go there in daylight and get out before the sun sets

Pilanesberg has come a long way, I remember huge herds of springbok and impale on the open plain at Mankwe dam with herds of up to 20 sable being regular sightings. Then the hunting took first spot, lion Families were reduced and even one of the packs of wild dogs were taken out ( competition for the hunters). The dogs were relocated to Marakele where they broke out a few times and one even got shot by a farmer, presently they find themselves being looked after by a Chinese zoo. Incidently the Tuli ellies also found refuge in Marakele. Anyhow the park was hunted to the point that one would find the odd Zebra and a skittish impala or 6 with huge stands of kakibos all over.

The park has bounced back and at present it is doing pretty well, I have not seen the herds of sable or any sable for that matter but allover I think things are doing well. Bakgatla's camp is not bad and the bathrooms are clean and in good order, I have seen security patrolling the cam and never had problems but we live in different times now so be prepared and vigilant. Being on the edge of the park the resorts are prime target for makaboelies and the area surrounding the camps is not the safest. The resorts need to up security but do they have budget for long term upgrades...... I wont put my hopes too high
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

Hbannink, If it were not for the hunting in the park , the park would not exist ! ....the wild dogs were removed because they had worked out that it was easy to capture and kill game alongside the fences , the hunting took place in an area that is not accessible to the general public.... And it still does...... The populations of plains game was increased and were not hunted so that more lions could be kept and also to decrease the predation on Sable and similar game.

the biggest issue Pillanesburg has with decreased game numbers is poaching .... ! And if the willingness was there it would be easy to stop.
    Last edited by Hawkeye; 2019/06/17 at 12:51 PM.

Is there a website one can go onto to book hunting in Pilansberg National Park which lists the cost for each species that may be hunted in the park and where one can stay in the park eg hunting lodges?

That's wierd , googled hunting in Pilansberg National Park - nothing - I can't find any info. Any help?

These hunts are sold at international conventions , normally in conjunction with an international outfitter ..... At exorbitant US$ rates..... Many years back you could book hunts through the NW parks board ....... Even Borakalolo was hunted through tenders and local outfitters...not sure if that still happens.

You might get luckier if you know someone who works with or in SANParks, and they might know someone.

Is there really hunting happening in Pilanesburg? I find this a little odd? They must have very small, restricted areas that theyre using for this then surely so as not to be anywhere near a tourist/road?
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8

I agree with previous statements, however unfortunate the consequences, vote with your wallet.
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2009 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

Security measures are being fast tracked .... yet there are complaints on tripadvisor since 2017 .... okay then

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    You might get luckier if you know someone who works with or in SANParks, and they might know someone.
    Its not a SANParks National Park

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    Its not a SANParks National Park
    I know, hence I said "better off getting someone from SANParks". I'd MUCH rather hunt in the Kruger than Pilanesberg.

All very interesting - RSA citizens can go to Pilansberg and pay good money as game viewing tourists any time (and run the risk it seems of being robbed or worse) but when it comes to hunting in Pilansberg it seems us good citizens are effectively shut out - this being the preserve of the connected international rich and famous and who, it is argued, through their hunting activities are responsible for Pilansbergs continued existence. Does anyone else see anything wrong with this picture?

Quote Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
    All very interesting - RSA citizens can go to Pilansberg and pay good money as game viewing tourists any time (and run the risk it seems of being robbed or worse) but when it comes to hunting in Pilansberg it seems us good citizens are effectively shut out - this being the preserve of the connected international rich and famous and who, it is argued, through their hunting activities are responsible for Pilansbergs continued existence. Does anyone else see anything wrong with this picture?
    I don't, so you'd have to explain.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast