Robbery at Manyane (Pilanesberg) - 1 robber killed

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Robbery at Manyane (Pilanesberg) - 1 robber killed

Saw this doing rounds on FB and according to the comments it's confirmed.

Luckily the chalet occupant had his FA and killed 1 and wounded another robber.

Name:  FB_IMG_1560106451134.jpg
Views: 1874
Size:  70.0 KB
    Stephan
    "All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Groenman For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Robbery at Manyane (Pilanesberg) - 1 robber killed

Ai, as hierdie korrek is, is misdaad in SA nou heeltemal buite beheer.
    Discovery 1 1996 V8i (Sold, owned for 20 years); Freelander 2 2013 SD4 SE; Discovery 4 2014 SDV6 SE; Bushlapa Boskriek

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jola For This Useful Post:

Finding it really difficult to even contemplate this!...have been there so multiple times without the remotest feeling off threat ...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Finn McCool For This Useful Post:

Not something you want to happen on a weekend.

But weldone to that man, 2 out of 5!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to carlp For This Useful Post:

I was in pielansberg end of April and the visitors center was robbed, saw them repairing the carnage and cashier was telling me the story.

Wel gedaan aan die skieter! Alhoewel hy/sy waarskynlik 'n baie traumatiese nagevolg gaan h hiervan, en berading sal moet soek, is dit ook 'n teken aan die kriminele dat hulle nie altyd wegkom nie. Hoe meer die algemene publiek terug baklei hoe beter.

Die skieter wat gewond is sal twee keer dink vor sy volgende rooftog, in daardie opsig het die skieter homself/haarself gered sowel as die volgende teikens/lede van die publiek.
    *** ADMIN REMOVED ***

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OomD For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OomD View Post

Die skieter wat gewond is sal twee keer dink vor sy volgende rooftog, in daardie opsig het die skieter homself/haarself gered sowel as die volgende teikens/lede van die publiek.
    Het die naweek daar gekamp net onder die Chaley's. Het die skote gehoor en aangeneem hulle skiet op peste. Nie besef dit was rowers nie. Eers die die middag toe ons kamp afslaan gehoor by ons bure langs ons.

I was the individual that posted the original post on Facebook. I just put up the posts for info and not sensationalism. I want people to know whats happening in Manyane and the greater Pilansberg reserve,as the staff seem to want to sweep every incident under the carpet. I stuck to the facts on Facebook so as not to open myself up to any litigation etc.

We were in chalet 2a and the incident happened in chalet 58, about 10 chalets away from us (100 odd meters). When the shoots were fired (7 shots in rapid succession) I thought it was anti-poaching or a poaching incident. This was 9.04pm. Then after a few minutes realised that most poachers rifles would not be semi automatic and that we had been told by the rangers that they are armed with shotguns. I then called security and the woman on the other side nonchalantly told me that there had been an armed robbery at chalet 58 and that one attacker was shot in the head but not yet dead and one was shot in the leg and had fled. At that time the info suggested only 2 attackers and they were looking for the other guy and had called the police. This was 9.15pm.

Naturally we were not too keen to rush off outside to go and see what was happening especially with one wounded attacker running around. I did eventually go outside and there were a lot of the staff walking to and from the restaurant facility past out chalet to go and see what the commotion was about. I asked a few about what had happened and they confirmed there was one person shot in the head inside the chalet. He at that stage was still alive.

At 10.10pm the first police vans arrived. I was outside when a couple walked past. They had seen the blue lights and wanted to report a robbery. The lady was staying in one of the permenent tents, No. 21, and they had been burgled of all their possessions. Clothes, food and all electronic equipment. She had 3 of her grandchildren with her, but was braaing with friends in another part of the caravan park.

At 10.45pm the first ambulance arrived. By this time the attacker in the chalet had died. Lets hope the injured one can lead the police to the other 3 attackers.

The next morning a guy who was also in the chalets asked about the incident and was told by the reception staff that there had been an incident but the guy in the chalet had fired off some warning shots and scared the attackers away. Clearly it was bulls#it, obviously they had been briefed to keep it quite.

Something like this is extremely traumatic, it evokes so many emotions which are usually very opposite. I was thankful that the gentleman had shot the guy as it could have been me and my wife as we only got back to our chalet at 8.40pm. I was angry at Golden leopard Resorts for the lack of security and the way they handled the incident. No one called our chalet, no one came around to tell us what was happening, there were people walking around that were oblivious to the shooting. I was in a state of shock as it makes you realise what a broken country we live in. The word s#ithole comes to mind.

To the gentleman that bravely protected his family. SIR i salute you, you are a real hero. You deserve a medal. You stopped a gang of attackers and without doubt you most definitely saved someones life when you decided to take the action you did. Those guys were armed with knives at the very least and they were not afraid to use them if they had to.

To the scum that had his brains blown out, I find it hard to have compassion for you. There is a special place in Hell waiting for you, hope you rot there for eternity.

Sorry my post is so long, but I want you all to get the word out, tell your friends and family about this. Make sure that when people want to go to Manyane, that they know about the problems there. If there are any journalists out there, follow up the story, apparently theres been more than a few cases in the last few years. Golden Leopards need to jack up their security or people will not go there. They will never see me again thats for sure.
    Toyota Hilux 2.4 GD6 D/Cab 4x4

Thanks for the full info Caracal.
    Stephan
    "All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

Let me just add that the music from the neighbouring Mogwase continued until 4.30am yesterday morning.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Caracal For This Useful Post:

My son was robbed by two guys with knives at Bakgatla a couple of years back. They ripped his tent open with something sharp and took all his stuff except his car while one threatened him with a knife. I suspected that it was an inside job but could not prove it. Golden Leopard resorts at that stage were just as useless and offered no help whatsoever. They just tried to sweep it under the carpet and shift blame. Not nice if something like this happens.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johan Myburgh For This Useful Post:

This is actually really disturbing. As a fairly regular visitor to the camping section it makes you think twice.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

I have sent an email to both the GM of Leopard Resorts and the Manyane's camp manager asking how they will improve security to their resort. Awaiting reply and will post here if and when I get a reply.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caracal For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Caracal View Post
    I was the individual that posted the original post on Facebook. I just put up the posts for info and not sensationalism. I want people to know whats happening in Manyane and the greater Pilansberg reserve,as the staff seem to want to sweep every incident under the carpet. I stuck to the facts on Facebook so as not to open myself up to any litigation etc.

We were in chalet 2a and the incident happened in chalet 58, about 10 chalets away from us (100 odd meters). When the shoots were fired (7 shots in rapid succession) I thought it was anti-poaching or a poaching incident. This was 9.04pm. Then after a few minutes realised that most poachers rifles would not be semi automatic and that we had been told by the rangers that they are armed with shotguns. I then called security and the woman on the other side nonchalantly told me that there had been an armed robbery at chalet 58 and that one attacker was shot in the head but not yet dead and one was shot in the leg and had fled. At that time the info suggested only 2 attackers and they were looking for the other guy and had called the police. This was 9.15pm.

Naturally we were not too keen to rush off outside to go and see what was happening especially with one wounded attacker running around. I did eventually go outside and there were a lot of the staff walking to and from the restaurant facility past out chalet to go and see what the commotion was about. I asked a few about what had happened and they confirmed there was one person shot in the head inside the chalet. He at that stage was still alive.

At 10.10pm the first police vans arrived. I was outside when a couple walked past. They had seen the blue lights and wanted to report a robbery. The lady was staying in one of the permenent tents, No. 21, and they had been burgled of all their possessions. Clothes, food and all electronic equipment. She had 3 of her grandchildren with her, but was braaing with friends in another part of the caravan park.

At 10.45pm the first ambulance arrived. By this time the attacker in the chalet had died. Lets hope the injured one can lead the police to the other 3 attackers.

The next morning a guy who was also in the chalets asked about the incident and was told by the reception staff that there had been an incident but the guy in the chalet had fired off some warning shots and scared the attackers away. Clearly it was bulls#it, obviously they had been briefed to keep it quite.

Something like this is extremely traumatic, it evokes so many emotions which are usually very opposite. I was thankful that the gentleman had shot the guy as it could have been me and my wife as we only got back to our chalet at 8.40pm. I was angry at Golden leopard Resorts for the lack of security and the way they handled the incident. No one called our chalet, no one came around to tell us what was happening, there were people walking around that were oblivious to the shooting. I was in a state of shock as it makes you realise what a broken country we live in. The word s#ithole comes to mind.

To the gentleman that bravely protected his family. SIR i salute you, you are a real hero. You deserve a medal. You stopped a gang of attackers and without doubt you most definitely saved someones life when you decided to take the action you did. Those guys were armed with knives at the very least and they were not afraid to use them if they had to.

To the scum that had his brains blown out, I find it hard to have compassion for you. There is a special place in Hell waiting for you, hope you rot there for eternity.

Sorry my post is so long, but I want you all to get the word out, tell your friends and family about this. Make sure that when people want to go to Manyane, that they know about the problems there. If there are any journalists out there, follow up the story, apparently theres been more than a few cases in the last few years. Golden Leopards need to jack up their security or people will not go there. They will never see me again thats for sure.
    Was also at Manyane (camping) this weekend was not a very nice experience with kids outside around a fire. I also assumed that poachers were engaging with the APU and phoned Perry to inform her, only later to find out that a robbery took place. On Sunday night we joined the in laws as they have a chalet unit at Bakgatla when we left this morning @ 6am both booms were lifted the gates was open all the lights was of in the guard house and no person insight. My 14 years of visiting both Bakgatla and Manyane has probably come to an end after this weekend @ Manyane.

PS. Bakgatla's campsite still looks like sh*t!!!

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JJP For This Useful Post:

I have sent an email to both the GM of Leopard Resorts and the Manyane's camp manager asking how they will improve security to their resort. Awaiting reply and will post here if and when I get a reply.
    Please let me have contact details and I will do the same if that is OK with you.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

BMW R1200R

You could also post your detailed rundown on Tripadvisor which has an international audience.
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2009 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Best would probably be to write an article about this incident and submit it to all the well known magazines, Golden leopard resorts does not deserve to operate until they address al there problems.
    Last edited by JJP; 2019/06/10 at 02:07 PM.

Very sad to see. I have sort-of always felt safe whilst in a resort or camping, obviously not knowingly taking chances. This however raises the personal safety awareness as one will have to rely on your own means of protection as clearly demonstrated by this incident, the resort will not.

It is even sadder to know it is in the Pilansberg area as we love to go there
    Dirk Theron
    Land Cruiser 200 V8 4.6 petrol
    Land Cruiser FJ - You Beauty
    Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4
    BL865 Ratel4
    Lifes a yourney, enjoy the ride

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Please let me have contact details and I will do the same if that is OK with you.
    Will pm them to you.

Will pm them to you.
    Thanks have sent to them and copied you.

BMW R1200R

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast