Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: Robbery at Manyane (Pilanesberg) - 1 robber killed

It's seems that the Facebook post was very quickly removed?
    2013 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4 Auto
    ZS6DCP

Quote Originally Posted by Caracal View Post
    I have sent an email to both the GM of Leopard Resorts and the Manyane's camp manager asking how they will improve security to their resort. Awaiting reply and will post here if and when I get a reply.
    Dont hold your breath

I suppose National Parks will chase the guy who did not declare his weapon.
    2018 Hilux Dakar fully kitted.
    2016 Metalian Parthian
    2021 Suzuli Swift 1.2 GLX Swambo's shopping trolley.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pwgg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pwgg View Post
    Manyane is not in the park.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2019/06/11 at 04:23 PM.
    Tony Weaver
    2010 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 3.2l diesel
    Previously
    1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line 3.5l V8; 1968 2.25l Land Rover SII; 1969 2.6l SIIA; 1973 2.25l SIII
    1983 Toyota HiLux 2l 4x4

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pwgg View Post
    Pilansberg is not like Kruger. You declare but keep on carrying

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carlp For This Useful Post:

Not good news - we are going to Bakgatla for both long weekends in August and September - already paid full camp costs

Will remember to take the firearm with and be more aware
    Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 DI-D 4x4
    BL925 - Ratel 4 - Sold
    Ratel replaced with a Stealth Bush Lodge

At both campsites, make sure your site is in the middle.
    Stay away from boundary areas.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to duncang For This Useful Post:

Curious... after investigation is over and dust has settled will the reserve continue to rent the chalet the perp died in and must they disclose? Been wanting to visit for some time and don’t think I’d want to rent that specific chalet.

We have had a chalet on time share for many years ; never had any problems so far ; disappointing to hear about this ; however the security appears to be very loose ; on coming to the resort we have to sign on the friday that we come in ; but going to town for shopping or even to the caltex station just outside the gate for petrol , wood , ice etc we dont have to sign again ; nor does anyone open the boot or check up the bakkie for that matter ; for years we stay outside the challet at night around the fire ; my last year visit i stayed outside because of the moon eclipse till 1 am ... ; golden leopard needs to engage a professional security company and relook at a new whole strategy asap; immediate corrective action to contain then preventive action to cement and change things as they stand now.

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    It's seems that the Facebook post was very quickly removed?
    Its still on Kamp Mal but taken down on Sleep Saam until they verify the facts.

if you have access to Netwerk24 there is an article on their website. I will try and get the link and post it here. Quotes me on a number of issues I raised with the North West Development Corporation (They administer the Pilansberg and the 2 resorts, Bakgatla and Manyane) and the Management at Manyane in an email I sent then earlier today.
    Toyota Fortuner 4.0 V6 4x4
    2011 Mazda 2 Auto "Die Dorp Karretjie"

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Caracal For This Useful Post:

if you have access to Netwerk24 there is an article on their website. I will try and get the link and post it here. Quotes me on a number of issues I raised with the North West Development Corporation (They administer the Pilansberg and the 2 resorts, Bakgatla and Manyane) and the Management at Manyane in an email I sent then earlier today.
    I still think you should post your experience on Tripadvisor.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson, A Schrodingers Douche Bag GOF

''In Western society, it is not the facts or the truth that are important, but the correct presentation of information, even if it is a lie.''

Clank, a 1979 Ex-SADF Series III 109 SW powered by a Toyota 2B Oil Burner

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    I still think you should post your experience on Tripadvisor.
    Will do.

As posted on GOSA FB page (not sure if this is the N24 article)

Must say, the unwillingness of management to acknowledge and address the issue is of huge concern.

Gas by Pilanesberg-oord skiet rower in chalet dood

Deur Susan Cilliers 10 Junie 2019

’n Gas by die Manyane-oord in die Pilanesberg Nasionale Park het Saterdagaand ’n rower doodgeskiet in die chalet waar hy en sy vrou tuisgegaan het.

Volgens lt.kol. Amanda Funani, polisiewoordvoerder in Noordwes, het die man sy wapen gevat toe hy hoor hoe vermoedelik vyf rowers inbreek.

“Die rowers het in die chalet ingekom en was met messe gewapen. Die man het op hulle geskiet en een noodlottig gewond. Die ander vier het gevlug en is steeds op vrye voet.”

Die man se skootrekenaar is gesteel.

Die polisie ondersoek sake van gewapende roof en moord. Funani sê dis amptelik die gebruik om in gevalle soos dié ’n moordsaak in te dien.

“Niemand is nog in hegtenis geneem nie. Die staat moet nog aandui of hulle gaan vervolg en of dit selfverdediging was.”

Die gas wat die rower doodgeskiet het, was blykbaar tevore ’n polisieman.

’n Personeellid by die oord het Maandag gesê hy en sy vrou wil nie met die media praat nie.

Dit is onduidelik hoe die rowers tot Manyane toegang verkry het.

Die oord met sy 55 chalets is omhein en wagte patrolleer die terrein. Volgens ’n betroubare bron was daar sedert Desember 2018 twee inbrake.

Richard Pickering, wat in een van die ander chalets tuisgegaan en die skote gehoor het, sê die oord het hom oor die gebeure ingelig nadat hy navraag gedoen het.

Hy is bekommerd daaroor dat nie die veiligheids- of ander personeel by die oord glo na die chalets gegaan en die ander gaste ingelig het nie.

“Van die ander inwoners was nog tot drie ure ná die voorval onbewus daarvan en het ondanks die dreigende gevaar (van ontsnapte rowers) in die oord rondgeloop.”

Pickering voel die bestuur van Manyane moet meer doen om mense bewus te maak van die misdaad daar. “Bewerings van rooftogte, pogings tot rooftogte en ander misdrywe die afgelope jaar by die oord word op sosiale media gemaak. Mense is egter grootliks onbewus hiervan, tensy hulle self daardeur geraak word of iets op sosiale media sien.”

Volgens Pickering het personeel by die ontvangsafdeling die noodlottige gebeure Saterdagaand teenoor sommige mense ontken. “Hulle het net gesê iemand het waarskuwingskote afgevuur toe hy gesien het hoe ’n inbreker in ’n chalet probeer inkom.”

’n Ontvangsdame by Pilanesberg het aanvanklik ook telefonies aan Netwerk24 gesê veiligheidswagte het iemand betrap toe hy probeer inbreek het en dat die inbreker kort daarna in hegtenis geneem is. Personeel by die Manyane-oord het egter die polisie se weergawe van die gebeure bevestig.

Pickering het gesê Manyane sal hom, sy familie en vriende “nie weer sien nie” totdat die oordbestuur die versekering gee dat hierdie soort voorvalle, of enige diefstalvoorval, nooit weer sal gebeur nie. “Die omheining is nie voldoende om inbrekers buite te hou nie. Ek wil weet wat die oord gaan doen om dit veiliger te maak.”

Die bestuur van die Pilanesberg-natuurreservaat het Maandag nie onmiddellik op ’n versoek om kommentaar gereageer nie.
    Stephan G

4x4: 2018 Isuzu KB250 D-Teq 4x4 DC
    Platkar: 2019 Suzuki Baleno GLX

"All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars"

Quote Originally Posted by Groenman View Post
    As posted on GOSA FB page (not sure if this is the N24 article)

Must say, the unwillingness of management to acknowledge and address the issue is of huge concern.

Gas by Pilanesberg-oord skiet rower in chalet dood

Deur Susan Cilliers 10 Junie 2019

’n Gas by die Manyane-oord in die Pilanesberg Nasionale Park het Saterdagaand ’n rower doodgeskiet in die chalet waar hy en sy vrou tuisgegaan het.

Volgens lt.kol. Amanda Funani, polisiewoordvoerder in Noordwes, het die man sy wapen gevat toe hy hoor hoe vermoedelik vyf rowers inbreek.

“Die rowers het in die chalet ingekom en was met messe gewapen. Die man het op hulle geskiet en een noodlottig gewond. Die ander vier het gevlug en is steeds op vrye voet.”

Die man se skootrekenaar is gesteel.

Die polisie ondersoek sake van gewapende roof en moord. Funani sê dis amptelik die gebruik om in gevalle soos dié ’n moordsaak in te dien.

“Niemand is nog in hegtenis geneem nie. Die staat moet nog aandui of hulle gaan vervolg en of dit selfverdediging was.”

Die gas wat die rower doodgeskiet het, was blykbaar tevore ’n polisieman.

’n Personeellid by die oord het Maandag gesê hy en sy vrou wil nie met die media praat nie.

Dit is onduidelik hoe die rowers tot Manyane toegang verkry het.

Die oord met sy 55 chalets is omhein en wagte patrolleer die terrein. Volgens ’n betroubare bron was daar sedert Desember 2018 twee inbrake.

Richard Pickering, wat in een van die ander chalets tuisgegaan en die skote gehoor het, sê die oord het hom oor die gebeure ingelig nadat hy navraag gedoen het.

Hy is bekommerd daaroor dat nie die veiligheids- of ander personeel by die oord glo na die chalets gegaan en die ander gaste ingelig het nie.

“Van die ander inwoners was nog tot drie ure ná die voorval onbewus daarvan en het ondanks die dreigende gevaar (van ontsnapte rowers) in die oord rondgeloop.”

Pickering voel die bestuur van Manyane moet meer doen om mense bewus te maak van die misdaad daar. “Bewerings van rooftogte, pogings tot rooftogte en ander misdrywe die afgelope jaar by die oord word op sosiale media gemaak. Mense is egter grootliks onbewus hiervan, tensy hulle self daardeur geraak word of iets op sosiale media sien.”

Volgens Pickering het personeel by die ontvangsafdeling die noodlottige gebeure Saterdagaand teenoor sommige mense ontken. “Hulle het net gesê iemand het waarskuwingskote afgevuur toe hy gesien het hoe ’n inbreker in ’n chalet probeer inkom.”

’n Ontvangsdame by Pilanesberg het aanvanklik ook telefonies aan Netwerk24 gesê veiligheidswagte het iemand betrap toe hy probeer inbreek het en dat die inbreker kort daarna in hegtenis geneem is. Personeel by die Manyane-oord het egter die polisie se weergawe van die gebeure bevestig.

Pickering het gesê Manyane sal hom, sy familie en vriende “nie weer sien nie” totdat die oordbestuur die versekering gee dat hierdie soort voorvalle, of enige diefstalvoorval, nooit weer sal gebeur nie. “Die omheining is nie voldoende om inbrekers buite te hou nie. Ek wil weet wat die oord gaan doen om dit veiliger te maak.”

Die bestuur van die Pilanesberg-natuurreservaat het Maandag nie onmiddellik op ’n versoek om kommentaar gereageer nie.
    Yep one and the same.

Below is the link to the article on Netwerk24's website. I am not subscribed so cant access it.

https://www.netwerk24.com/Nuus/Misda...-dood-20190610

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Caracal For This Useful Post:

My wife couldn't find it on Facebook/Kamp Mal?

On Beeld newspaper's front page today!

PS. I believe a Facebook group/page can hide a post but the original poster and friends can still see it.
    Last edited by DC Polokwane; 2019/06/11 at 11:10 AM.
    2013 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4 Auto
    ZS6DCP

Not the first time....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	manyane.jpg 
Views:	817 
Size:	168.5 KB 
ID:	530584  
    1997 Discovery 1 300tdi "Pussy Galore" SOLD
    1996 Discovery 1 V8 - Mr Creosote
    1983 W123 240D Mercedes Benz - Oksana SOLD
    1984 W123 230E Mercedes Benz - James
    1998 Discovery 1 300tdi "Pussy Galore II"

“When I dine after a hard day’s work, I like serenity, calm, good food, cold beverages.” – Winston Churchill

24. The Following User Says Thank You to MickeyBlue42 For This Useful Post:

This is so sad to me. We love Pilanesberg and spend many happy hours there just for the day, camping or in chalets when my son was young. When I think of Pilanesberg I think of happy family times and my little boy.

Robberies, shootings and neglect are just tragic in such a gem of park
    Christa

2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT - sold

Bushlapa 78 - sold

26. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by carlp View Post
    Pilansberg is not like Kruger. You declare but keep on carrying
    I kept carrying in the Kruger - AFTER declaring. Pistol was tied up with some crappy cable that I simply slipped off the hammer by pulling the trigger. From there it was slipped off the grip and it simply hung loose through the trigger guard. I kept it empty for the duration (not one-up), but mag in and holstered it for the duration of the trip. No problems. When I left they had nothing to cut the cable with, so I ended up cutting it off with my Leatherman in the car park.

EDIT: Oh, on Pilanesberg. Was there Jan 2018, IIRC. Won't go back in a hurry. Roads were in disrepair, bathrooms smelly and dirty. Wasn't very impressed at all.
    Last edited by Toxxyc; 2019/06/11 at 11:24 AM.

We stayed at a well-known lion farm near Brits years ago. We had visited the farm a couple of times before with no problems whatsoever. On this specific occasion robbers gained entry to the premises and climbed through an open chalet window, liberating a laptop, while the occupants were sleeping. The farm owner and personnel responded as quickly as possible, putting themselves at risk to pursue the attackers in the dark but they didn't manage to apprehend the robbers.

My point is, they were also caught off-guard but they tried the best they could.

Blaming the resort management is maybe not 100% fair, unless its an inside job they didn't make the incident happen. If the staff ran around, telling all the guests that somebody has just been shot, panic would have followed. I suspect they tried to keep everybody calm while trying to handle the situation behind the scenes. I know that is what I would do if I was in that situation.
    Attempting to recover from engine transplant.

Quote Originally Posted by albertvl View Post
    We stayed at a well-known lion farm near Brits years ago. We had visited the farm a couple of times before with no problems whatsoever. On this specific occasion robbers gained entry to the premises and climbed through an open chalet window, liberating a laptop, while the occupants were sleeping. The farm owner and personnel responded as quickly as possible, putting themselves at risk to pursue the attackers in the dark but they didn't manage to apprehend the robbers.

My point is, they were also caught off-guard but they tried the best they could.

Blaming the resort management is maybe not 100% fair, unless its an inside job they didn't make the incident happen. If the staff ran around, telling all the guests that somebody has just been shot, panic would have followed. I suspect they tried to keep everybody calm while trying to handle the situation behind the scenes. I know that is what I would do if I was in that situation.
    With all due respect, have you seen the fencing around Manyane? A 10 year old could access the place with ease.

Again, with all due respect, there were guests walking around the resort during and after the shooting who were unaware of the situation. The very least the staff could have done was send security around to ask them to just return to their chalet/caravan/tent as they had a security situation that they needed to handle.

The fact that there are now other incidents of crime surfacing on platforms like tripadvisor/facebook proves that its been an ongoing issue at Manyane and as I stated earlier, it is my wish that the general camping/chalet going person is aware of the risks, and most importantly, that no one has to die or get injured at the resort ever again.

My wife and I could have been victims here, and we realise how close we were. We will be forever grateful to the gentleman in chalet 58 who pulled the trigger.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caracal For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast