Again robbery Ihaha

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Again robbery Ihaha

Posted on Facebook DriveBots · Just to all persons that may be booked into campsites at Ihaha please be careful. An incident happened on Friday night where they cut a tent and gained access @ 01h30 with the occupant in the tent and proceeded to take some valuables, the occupant screamed and they fled.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sylvia000 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Again robbery Ihaha

Hie Sylvia. If its the same incident we talking about, the one i heard about, it happened at a Mobile Safari campsites at HATAB ground near Iaha, but NOT exactly at the Ihaha Campground.

VW AMAROK BITURBO TDI 4MOTION

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PAT n WOLF For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the response. I really don t know just read it on the facebook group; drive bots and just copied it to inform people. Maybe someone here on the forum knows where it happened. We will be there in a few weeks hope they still do the night patrols

Seems like BDF needs to step it up in the area!

Might not be good for relations between Bots and Nam

This was just posted in the DriveBotswana facebookgroup ;

Be very careful and vigilant when camping at Ihaha and make sure you lock all valuables in your car. We were robbed in the early hours of the 27th June 2019 whilst asleep in our ground tent (campsite 2). They slit open our tent with a knife/sharp object at ground level and stole two of my bags. We discovered the lost bags and hole in the tent early when we awoke and found a number of our belongings scattered around the campsite and at the adjacent campsite 1. Unfortunately they got away with a number of valuables including our passports! We had heard a few noises throughout the night but we were all thinking they were hyenas, honey badgers etc and the last thing on our minds was that we were being robbed. Important that word gets out that you need to be very careful as you are a sitting duck at that campsite as it is very isolated and people have very easy access across the border. We were told there would be patrols during the night but when I asked if they had been done I was told that they decided to not patrol that night!

Twice in a matter of weeks using the same modus operandi ! Seems the robbers know when the patrol is not happening . Coincidence . or have they figured out how the patrols work ?

Another thread about this, started by the person the incident happened to:

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...01#post4174701
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Another thread about this, started by the person the incident happened to:

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...01#post4174701
    Very unfortunate situation. The authorities should thoroughly address before it gets out of hand.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PAT n WOLF For This Useful Post:

I stayed at Ihaha and was conscious of the issues.

Is there any other camp site in Chobe for Self Drives?

Quote Originally Posted by Katanga View Post

https://chobenationalpark.co.za/chobe-camping/

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Roberto Betta For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Katanga View Post

In Chobe, there are as listed in the above comment. In the Chobe River front though,where all is currently happening, Ihaha is the only for self drivers, but there are campsites for Mobile safari operators, that you can ONLY stay there, once you are book through them.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PAT n WOLF For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PAT n WOLF View Post
    ...The authorities should thoroughly address before it gets out of hand.
    I agree Pat. Ihaha is one of Botswana's iconic and well known campsites.

One can still cope with the baboons and fairly low standard ablutions in order to experience the area and the feel of the campsite. But most people will draw the line at human caused safety issues.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

If I would worry to much about issues like this, a lot of camping areas in Europe would have to be excluded as well. It can happen but damage can be prevented or limited. We were twice in Ihaha and no problems. First time (2015) there were military, second time (201 we did not see any. Just keep valuables away from easy reach (maybe even some goodies nearby just in case to satisfy any robbers). Don't carry too much cash since it is not necessary with all the ATM's (as long as there is no major power failure) in towns like Kasane and Maun and outside those, no place to spend it (and many options for creditcards).

Drive Bots facebook group yesterday a group of 20 persons was robbed ( So joining together does n t really help )

We cancelled our booking today for august 7 en 8 of campsite 4 or 7 we are not sure about the number . So availabilty in high season !!, We keep our parkfees and drive in from Kasane. 5 robberies in a few weeks is too much for us. It s holiday don t think i can have a good night over there or relax .. It s not about money and pasports or telephones. Machetes and knifes and threatened at gun point is n t my kind of holiday. ofjcourse it can happen every where but again was mentioned that yesterday there were no patrols.. keeps you thinking

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sylvia000 For This Useful Post:

With respect all this is so boring. Thefts and robberies have been going on at Ihaha for years. It must be the most police / military patrolled game park campsite in the world. Every time a theft/robbery happens there and the incident is posted on the forum the predictable responses follow:

- I am never going there again/I am cancelling my booking
    - I cant see anything wrong, I was there a few nights recently, place was guarded, felt safe and nothing happened
    - authorities need to up patrols
    - hey this is Africa, get used to it, stop complaining.
    - There is a big meeting taking place at Kasane between Botswana, Namibia, Angola, Zambia and Zimbabwe and the incident is on the agenda, do not worry guys it will all be sorted out, believe me I know, I am important.

Here is what I know and have said before and been shot down for:

Just move the camp site inland.

But Botswana would never do that because like the giant Botswana flag on their island in the river, Ihaha campsite in plain view of the Caprivians is also an in your face "stuff you". It's a political thing. To move the camp site would be to loose face and admit defeat and it would otherwise just encourage further poaching by the rural Caprivians in this area.

Caprivians for the most part are an impoverished, rebelious, traumatised lot hell bent on still trying to fight for their independence. In this respect they think they are special and entitled and have some sort of right to do as they please. The Namibian Govt deliberately does not promote advancements in the area besides for nature conservation efforts in order to neutralise the ability of another armed uprising by Caprivians being capable of being successful.

So for years many Caprivians have resorted to fishing the rivers and poaching to survive. In the process they do not care about respecting international boundaries or sticking to legal fishing methods, conservation etc etc. They just do as they damn well please and could not care less. Any campers who camp in a vulnerable situation-well they are just fair game as well.

The rest of Namibia has had enough of them including those Caprivians trying to make an honest living/trying to conduct honest business and trying to improve the area. So has Botswana and Zambia. Patience is clearly running out fast. Something is going to happen but when, what and by whom remains unknown.

Thats pretty much it.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roadman For This Useful Post:

Roadman, everything you say about the Caprivians are true and has been known by many for quite a long time.

In a way I agree that moving the camp site is a solution, but I could never figure out the reason why Serondela was closed in the first place and how the location of Ihaha was decided upon.

I can, however understand that people are cancelling their bookings. Yes camping anywhere carries risk especially so close to human presence. It is for each to decide how risk adverse he want to be.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Posted on Drivebots by N. Mallinson

"Big groups don’t scare them off... we were part of the group where people got robbed recently and they came back a second time during our stay... we were 5 tents and 20 people.

Disturbed them the first time (without realizing they were there), 2nd time we were more aware and jumped up quickly but they were gone ASAP. The patrols mean nothing and don’t even have spotlights to check around them as they patrol. Their vehicle is so noisy too, anyone can hear them coming from a mile away."

Quote Originally Posted by sylvia000 View Post
    Drive Bots facebook group yesterday a group of 20 persons was robbed ( So joining together does n t really help )

We cancelled our booking today for august 7 en 8 of campsite 4 or 7 we are not sure about the number . So availabilty in high season !!, We keep our parkfees and drive in from Kasane. 5 robberies in a few weeks is too much for us. It s holiday don t think i can have a good night over there or relax .. It s not about money and pasports or telephones. Machetes and knifes and threatened at gun point is n t my kind of holiday. ofjcourse it can happen every where but again was mentioned that yesterday there were no patrols.. keeps you thinking

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Dold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Roadman, everything you say about the Caprivians are true and has been known by many for quite a long time.

In a way I agree that moving the camp site is a solution, but I could never figure out the reason why Serondela was closed in the first place and how the location of Ihaha was decided upon.

I can, however understand that people are cancelling their bookings. Yes camping anywhere carries risk especially so close to human presence. It is for each to decide how risk adverse he want to be.
    Serondela was perfect-high up against a cliff and with a great view. But as I understand it and as experienced when walking around the ruins there the place eventually for some reason became infested with fireants.

I am not sure why the Ihaha site was chosen but it clearly occurred at a time when with major international donor funding many of the camp sites in Botswana received a major upgrade in ablution blocks with solar geysers being introduced etc - was probably spearheaded by former President Ian Khama.

I reckon the site was chosen because it was a combination of near the river, water from this spot drawn from the river was reliable, the spot was easily accessible but sufficiently far from the main river road to be nice and quiet and it had some big trees.

Easy to talk in hindsight but given the onging situation across the river, choosing this spot was naive and the condequences have been suffered ever since.

I agree it is up to each camper to assess the risks and make their own decision. Perhapd it is a question of making the decision eyes wide open than eyes wide shut.

The stretch along the river in Chobe as we all know is one of the iconic game drives in Africa - a real bucket list experience and camping half way along it at Ihaha - an awsome experience.

It is just that campers there seem to have become and remain a pawn in a twofold struggle - one relating to the more immediate day-to-day struggle to survive and the greater political and socio-economic tension and stand-off.

It seems the situation has degenerated into one where everytime there is a big outcry regarding a theft/robbery at Ihaha it serves the pupose of the Caprevian seperatist movement it that it embarasses both the Botswana and Namibian Govts and serves to bring attention to the plight of Caprevians. My concern is to what extent locals are being encouraged by local separatist politicians to pillage and plunder across the river into Botswana and in the process target places such as Ihaha.

I reckon the Namibian Govt also needs to embark upon a campain to make it clear and re-inforce the fact that a separate State for the Caprivi area is just not feasible, is not on and will never happen and so accept it and move on. Just like Trump has persuaded the Mexicans that it is in their interest to get off their backsides and secure their southern border, so the Namibian govt needs to be persuaded to do their bit towards deterring illegal river crossings along the Chobe river front area.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Roadman For This Useful Post:

Some very valid points, Roadman.

For what it is worth, I loved Serondela, not a fan of Ihaha but not due to the robberies.

Could be that we camped there in December, we had one violent thunderstorm after the next (one thing the Caprivi was useful for at that time was that you could see the next storm coming for miles and time your braai) and we never had hot water because the staff kept stealing the batteries for the geyser starters to power their radio for a non-stop party. So if I think of Ihaha, I remember cold, wet and lots of baboons.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

I in fact have stayed at both Serondela in the distant past, and many times at Ihaha. I prefer Ihaha for a few reasons, including the view.

If I recall correctly, the Chobe Riverfront campsite was moved further west due to fears about congestion on the riverfront between Kasane and Serondela. Most would appreciate that this was and is a potential problem.

I personally would continue to stay at Ihaha, but would lock all my possesions in my vehicle. We have a rooftop tent which helps as far as safety is concerned. If I camped in an offroad caravan setup I would likewise feel relatively safe. It depends how risk-averse you are. And yes I am aware of all the robbery reports over time, including the most recent ones.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    I in fact have stayed at both Serondela in the distant past, and many times at Ihaha. I prefer Ihaha for a few reasons, including the view.

If I recall correctly, the Chobe Riverfront campsite was moved further west due to fears about congestion on the riverfront between Kasane and Serondela. Most would appreciate that this was and is a potential problem.

I personally would continue to stay at Ihaha, but would lock all my possesions in my vehicle. We have a rooftop tent which helps as far as safety is concerned. If I camped in an offroad caravan setup I would likewise feel relatively safe. It depends how risk-averse you are. And yes I am aware of all the robbery reports over time, including the most recent ones.

Unfortunately the roof top camping gives a false sense of security, also the locking of valuables in the car is a doubtful endeavour.

A friend of mine was robbed of his possessions in Nata Bird Sanctuary whilst he was sleeping on top of the vehicle.
    They were 4 campers in 2 RTT on the same vehicle and noticed some strange movements and sounds, By the time the opened the zip and descended the robbers were running., They found the window smashed and the bags containing their stuff missing, one was dropped on the way to the gat and they found it in the morning.

(We later found out that is was the cattle herders staying in the proximity of the camp outside the gate)

So, unless you are alerted and ready, you will not have a chance on a well orchestrated robbery.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast