Again robbery Ihaha - Page 3





Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 64
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    41
    Thanked: 11

    Default Re: Again robbery Ihaha

    Camped at Ihaha last week in our roof top tents with no problems.
    Some feedback for those who may be considering going there:
    - A police vehicle was patrolling regularly from around 22h00 through to 05h00 - not sure how effective this vehicle is but at least the patrols are happening and there is a permanent police camp site near the camp office.
    - The ablution block was in working order with nice hot water for showers
    - We set up a motion sensor lamp in our campsite and the only thing that set it off was a lioness that walked past our vehicle.

    This is a beautiful area with a lot of animal life and we are happy we went there.

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lanners For This Useful Post:


  3. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    699
    Thanked: 253

    Default Re: Again robbery Ihaha

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    ... unless you are alerted and ready, you will not have a chance on a well orchestrated robbery.
    So, would a passive Infra-Red alarm system be of any use ?

    I know that you will have some false alarms from animals, and possibly disturb other campers, but at least you won't be caught unawares.

    Also, some of these alarms just have buzzers/chimes which wouldn't disturb other campers but will warn you.
    Discovery 1 1995 V8i 3.9l (Sold, owned for 20 years); Freelander 2 2013 SD4 SE; Discovery 4 2014 SDV6 SE; Bushlapa Boskriek


  4. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    41
    Thanked: 11

    Default Re: Again robbery Ihaha

    Quote Originally Posted by Jola View Post
    So, would a passive Infra-Red alarm system be of any use ?

    I know that you will have some false alarms from animals, and possibly disturb other campers, but at least you won't be caught unawares.

    Also, some of these alarms just have buzzers/chimes which wouldn't disturb other campers but will warn you.
    We bought a Campguard Lantern that senses an intruder at 10 meters and lights up, either silently or with an audible alert. We certainly felt more secure with it at Ihaha and believed it to be effective on audible mode against petty thieves. We plan to use it in future in silent mode in more remote camps when we want to be alerted to large 4 legged visitors.

  5. #44
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    699
    Thanked: 253

    Default Re: Again robbery Ihaha

    Quote Originally Posted by Lanners View Post
    We bought a Campguard Lantern that senses an intruder at 10 meters and lights up, either silently or with an audible alert. We certainly felt more secure with it at Ihaha and believed it to be effective on audible mode against petty thieves. We plan to use it in future in silent mode in more remote camps when we want to be alerted to large 4 legged visitors.
    Where did you get that, I saw them on Amazon but the seller would not ship to SA ?

    What I did try was the Yale wireless door chime : https://www.takealot.com/yale-motion...e/PLID41688758

    You can get it cheaper at Builders.

    The main benefit of this is that you can keep the receiver next to your bed and have the sensor outside at a strategic position, I have two of these.

    The main problem is that it is too sensitive, when you get woken at 03:00 by a rabbit 30 metres away then you are not too impressed.

    That said, it will definitely warn you, with a chime, of more dangerous predators (ie, not lions, leopards, hyenas).
    Discovery 1 1995 V8i 3.9l (Sold, owned for 20 years); Freelander 2 2013 SD4 SE; Discovery 4 2014 SDV6 SE; Bushlapa Boskriek


  6. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    41
    Thanked: 11

    Default Re: Again robbery Ihaha

    Quote Originally Posted by Jola View Post
    Where did you get that, I saw them on Amazon but the seller would not ship to SA ?

    What I did try was the Yale wireless door chime : https://www.takealot.com/yale-motion...e/PLID41688758

    You can get it cheaper at Builders.

    The main benefit of this is that you can keep the receiver next to your bed and have the sensor outside at a strategic position, I have two of these.

    The main problem is that it is too sensitive, when you get woken at 03:00 by a rabbit 30 metres away then you are not too impressed.

    That said, it will definitely warn you, with a chime, of more dangerous predators (ie, not lions, leopards, hyenas).
    I bought the Camp Guard lantern for $50 on Amazon and fortunately could get it delivered to someone who was visiting the US at the time. It's designed as an anti-bear device so is not overly sensitive to small animals and resets itself if activated, but you have to climb down from your tent to move it or switch it off. Only downside is it can sense movement behind tent gauze (but not canvas). The Yale chime is interesting, for both home and camp use - will look at it next time at Builders.

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Helderkruin
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,886
    Thanked: 385

    Default Re: Again robbery Ihaha

    Ek die Yale by builders gekoop vir die kamp

  8. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Midrand
    Age
    59
    Posts
    2
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Again robbery Ihaha

    Hello, First time here. My son and I are going to Botswana for the first time and would love to stay at Ihaha. Any advice?

  9. #48
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ghanzi, Botswana
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,815
    Thanked: 837

    Default Re: Again robbery Ihaha

    Quote Originally Posted by jillmann View Post
    Hello, First time here. My son and I are going to Botswana for the first time and would love to stay at Ihaha. Any advice?
    Just make sure you do the basic safety rules, lock your vehicle when you go to sleep, keep all the valuables in the car. There are security patrols now, you can travel.

    _______________________________
    2011
    VW Amarok BIturbo TDI 4Motion
    2019 Land Cruiser 79 4.2 S/C
    _______________________________

  10. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Pretoria (PvR)
    Age
    40
    Posts
    670
    Thanked: 4

    Default Re: Again robbery Ihaha

    Quote Originally Posted by jillmann View Post
    Hello, First time here. My son and I are going to Botswana for the first time and would love to stay at Ihaha. Any advice?
    We staid there in Jan 2020 for 2 nights.We got a 2 legged visitor around 23:00 on our last night.Luckily we were prepared with some tripwires and mobile beams, as we heard stories of robberies there.I will not visit Ihaha again, well unless they make a plan.The patrols being done there are useless and of no help.
    Albert Gravett
    Isuzu KB6 3.0 D-Teq D/C 4x4 Auto
    ORRA Call Sign B66

  11. #50
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Pretoria (PvR)
    Age
    40
    Posts
    670
    Thanked: 4

    Default Re: Again robbery Ihaha

    Quote Originally Posted by PAT n WOLF View Post
    Just make sure you do the basic safety rules, lock your vehicle when you go to sleep, keep all the valuables in the car. There are security patrols now, you can travel.
    That patrols are useless...
    Albert Gravett
    Isuzu KB6 3.0 D-Teq D/C 4x4 Auto
    ORRA Call Sign B66

  12. #51
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Pretoria (PvR)
    Age
    40
    Posts
    670
    Thanked: 4

    Default Re: Again robbery Ihaha

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertG View Post
    We staid there in Jan 2020 for 2 nights.We got a 2 legged visitor around 23:00 on our last night.Luckily we were prepared with some tripwires and mobile beams, as we heard stories of robberies there.I will not visit Ihaha again, well unless they make a plan.The patrols being done there are useless and of no help.
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...notes-on-Ihaha
    Albert Gravett
    Isuzu KB6 3.0 D-Teq D/C 4x4 Auto
    ORRA Call Sign B66

  13. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ghanzi, Botswana
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,815
    Thanked: 837

    Default Re: Again robbery Ihaha

    AlbertG i know you were terrified and understand your response. BUT to say patrols are useless to me is over reaction. US we need those patrols. YES there are human errors, and those thieves could have passed unnoticed and had access to the camp.
    I want to educate most of the travellers here, its not ONLY Ihaha campsite that is affected in that area. There are lots of Mobile Safari operators in that area, MANY. Ihaha is one of the special places in Chobe and I wont be skeeping staying there.

    _______________________________
    2011
    VW Amarok BIturbo TDI 4Motion
    2019 Land Cruiser 79 4.2 S/C
    _______________________________

  14. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East London
    Age
    66
    Posts
    4,588
    Thanked: 2811

    Default Re: Again robbery Ihaha

    Pat, I too have been a dogged defender of the virtues of Ihaha as a camping destination in the Chobe National Park. The game densities and the campsite views over the Chobe River had always surpassed any of my doubts about security.

    In the past I have been reassured by the patrols against thieves carried out by the BDF. However there continue to be ongoing reports of intruders and robberies in this campsite despite the patrols, which do not appear to be totally effective. The private operator (Kwalate) itself appears to be doing nothing themselves to beef up campsite security. By now one would have hoped that they would have stationed a number of their own security guards along the river front to protect against robbers, presumably crossing the Chobe from Caprivi. Because of the danger from both intruders and wild animals the guards would presumably need to be armed. Kwalate have also done little, since they took over this campsite, to maintain and upgrade the ablutions. The other private operators of DWNP campsites in Botswana have invested considerably in maintenance and improvements.

    Perhaps the only way to force Kwalate to be proactive would be for them to suffer economically when the numbers of campers at Ihaha drop markedly?
    Landcruiser 76SW.

    “Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

    At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

    Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

  15. #54
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ghanzi, Botswana
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,815
    Thanked: 837

    Default Re: Again robbery Ihaha

    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Pat, I too have been a dogged defender of the virtues of Ihaha as a camping destination in the Chobe National Park. The game densities and the campsite views over the Chobe River had always surpassed any of my doubts about security.

    In the past I have been reassured by the patrols against thieves carried out by the BDF. However there continue to be ongoing reports of intruders and robberies in this campsite despite the patrols, which do not appear to be totally effective. The private operator (Kwalate) itself appears to be doing nothing themselves to beef up campsite security. By now one would have hoped that they would have stationed a number of their own security guards along the river front to protect against robbers, presumably crossing the Chobe from Caprivi. Because of the danger from both intruders and wild animals the guards would presumably need to be armed. Kwalate have also done little, since they took over this campsite, to maintain and upgrade the ablutions. The other private operators of DWNP campsites in Botswana have invested considerably in maintenance and improvements.

    Perhaps the only way to force Kwalate to be proactive would be for them to suffer economically when the numbers of campers at Ihaha drop markedly?
    TRUE Stan, but its an issue of Government, Park Regulation and Rules. Rules and Regulations of National Parks gives Wildlife Department and the Army SOLE responsibility of guarding national parks. Kwalate Safaris WOULD NOT be allowed to have ARMED security guard in the part, let alone enter with a gun. Secondly, they would have to apply to to Government to be allowed to operator guns and other security tools like drones and others equipments like quard bikes used in those terrains.
    Kwalate is allowed to employee camp staff only relevant to specifically campsite management.So, its up to the government to beef up security at Ihaha and also envolve their Namibia counterparts, maybe to assist on their side.

    _______________________________
    2011
    VW Amarok BIturbo TDI 4Motion
    2019 Land Cruiser 79 4.2 S/C
    _______________________________

  16. #55
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East London
    Age
    66
    Posts
    4,588
    Thanked: 2811

    Default Re: Again robbery Ihaha

    Thanks for the explanation Pat, makes a lot of sense.

    I must say after a few visits since their deployment, the government patrols by vehicle appear predictable, easy to avoid and fairly ineffective. Sometimes they have been more regular than at other times. I will still visit Ihaha with my lockup and alarmed vehicle and rooftop tent, but completely understand why others are a little leary.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

    “Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

    At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

    Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

  17. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Hermanus
    Age
    59
    Posts
    879
    Thanked: 353

    Default Re: Again robbery Ihaha

    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Thanks for the explanation Pat, makes a lot of sense.

    I must say after a few visits since their deployment, the government patrols by vehicle appear predictable, easy to avoid and fairly ineffective. Sometimes they have been more regular than at other times. I will still visit Ihaha with my lockup and alarmed vehicle and rooftop tent, but completely understand why others are a little leary.
    I am with Stan on this. I love the campsite but never sleep well there. You need to be very vigilant. I am not 100% certain it is always people from over the border.

  18. #57
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    39
    Posts
    70
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Again robbery Ihaha

    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Pat, I too have been a dogged defender of the virtues of Ihaha as a camping destination in the Chobe National Park. The game densities and the campsite views over the Chobe River had always surpassed any of my doubts about security.

    In the past I have been reassured by the patrols against thieves carried out by the BDF. However there continue to be ongoing reports of intruders and robberies in this campsite despite the patrols, which do not appear to be totally effective. The private operator (Kwalate) itself appears to be doing nothing themselves to beef up campsite security. By now one would have hoped that they would have stationed a number of their own security guards along the river front to protect against robbers, presumably crossing the Chobe from Caprivi. Because of the danger from both intruders and wild animals the guards would presumably need to be armed. Kwalate have also done little, since they took over this campsite, to maintain and upgrade the ablutions. The other private operators of DWNP campsites in Botswana have invested considerably in maintenance and improvements.

    Perhaps the only way to force Kwalate to be proactive would be for them to suffer economically when the numbers of campers at Ihaha drop markedly?
    I don’t agree with you. We where at the same campsite with Albert when this happened. A couple of point to show that these visitors will continue to rock up in campsites.

    1. The so called “patrols” is nothing more than 8 guys with AKs chatting away on the back of a Land Cruiser driving with head lights on at 40km/h. Any thief with half a braincell will be able to work around it.

    2. The attitude of both the BDF and Kawalte when the incident was reported. They are more concerned about you filling in the register with the Park Permit number. So it all about collecting the money and at R5000 plus for a two night stay (park fees included) it not worth it.

    3. We also suspected that these “visits” might be a inside job. This was after we got a visit to our camp by the BDF the night before. But that will be a story for other day.

    4. Ihaha is a very nice spot but I will not put my family at risk again, the next headline could read “Camper Killed at Ihaha” until then stay away and let your money do the talking. Maybe when there are no more visitors they will make a real effort of solving the problem.
    If you have men who will only come if they know there is a good road, I don't want them. I want men who will come if there is no road at all. David Livingston

  19. #58
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ruimsig
    Age
    56
    Posts
    4,539
    Thanked: 4444

    Default Re: Again robbery Ihaha

    Has anyone thought of using the paintball claymores or mines? Reuseable, make a noise and cover an object in paint.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

    2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

    FJ: One day when I am big

    Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

  20. #59
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    50
    Posts
    948
    Thanked: 784

    Default Re: Again robbery Ihaha

    One of the stupid mistakes in life is to underestimate peoples level of stupidity!

  21. #60
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    21
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: Again robbery Ihaha

    Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    Has anyone thought of using the paintball claymores or mines? Reuseable, make a noise and cover an object in paint.
    That is one sure way to piss off an elephant...
    2017 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Raider 4X4 M/T D/C

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •