Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4 - computer fuel calcs are rubbish?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4 - computer fuel calcs are rubbish?

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone else has a similar experience with their GV with regards to the on-board fuel calculations.
    1. My consumption reading when I fill my tank is never accurate - it always reads optimistically compared to my actual calculations - ie it appears that consumption is better than it really is.

2. My 'tank empty' light comes on when I have barely used 3/4 of a tank and I am easily able to drive a further 200km before I really need to fill up.

This can be quite disconcerting when doing long trips where fuels stations are spaced far apart. For me the computer it is just a gimmick as I may as well not have it.

Can these things be re-calibrated?

Default Re: Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4 - computer fuel calcs are rubbish?

Weird

Mine is ok. But it depends how you fill up. Do you fill up to first click, second click or to the brim when you shake the car till the fuel spills out.

I fill up to first click every time and calculate like that.
    Sent from my iPhone

Do you reset your avg consumption after every fill up?
    Last edited by FWM; 2019/06/04 at 08:09 PM.
    2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2019 Suzuki Baleno 1.4 GLX platkar

Quote Originally Posted by Killarneyracer View Post
    Hi All

Just wondering if anyone else has a similar experience with their GV with regards to the on-board fuel calculations.
    1. My consumption reading when I fill my tank is never accurate - it always reads optimistically compared to my actual calculations - ie it appears that consumption is better than it really is.

2. My 'tank empty' light comes on when I have barely used 3/4 of a tank and I am easily able to drive a further 200km before I really need to fill up.

This can be quite disconcerting when doing long trips where fuels stations are spaced far apart. For me the computer it is just a gimmick as I may as well not have it.

Can these things be re-calibrated?
    Same here. Computer is optimistic by about 1 L per hundred. Low fuel warning at 1/4 tank. Most irritating part is fuel gage drops to 3/4 after driving like 15k after filling up. Over the years I've learnt to use fuel gauge as a guide only. It's only empty when needle is in middle of the E.

Hi,

I agree with the comments re fuel gauges and warning lights. Some manufacturers get it right, and oh so wrong, all within their own product range...

My daily ride is a Chevy Aveo 1.6 Auto sedan. Nice basic car, but the fuel gauge is a joke! I have deduced over the last 2 years that half a tank is actually reflected by a 2/3 tank reading on the gauge. I drive 300km on a 1/3 of a full tank, and then 300km on the next 2/3 of a tank, go figure. Also, the gauge can live below empty for 50-60km before the fuel light comes on, and then you have a further 50 km of driving left....

Seems we don't have linear fuel gauges as a manufacturing requirement by many manufacturers these days.

Interestingly enough, my Jimny is the exact opposite, 40lt - 400km - 100km per 1/4 tank, and pretty much spot on all the time over the last 7+ years....
    Eric L
    ---------------------

ME_______ - '09 SUZUKI JIMNY - Pipe Bumper / Under body Protection / Winch / Snorkel / Roof Rack / VHF+UHF Comms
    SWAMBO__ - MAHINDRA BOLERO - Feels like an SJ / loads like a truck / tows like a tank!
    RETIRED___ - '99 Gen 1 Grand Vitara / 1.6 Vitara JLX ...x2 / SJ413 SWB ...x3 / SJ413LWB ...x1 / SJ410 ...x2.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    Weird

Mine is ok. But it depends how you fill up. Do you fill up to first click, second click or to the brim when you shake the car till the fuel spills out.

I fill up to first click every time and calculate like that.
    Full to the brim as I have done with all my cars for the last 30 years. I am a bit pedantic with figures and always apply the same set of 'rules' when recording consumption. But even if I was not, why is my reserve coming on at 1/4 tank?

Quote Originally Posted by GKE View Post
    Same here. Computer is optimistic by about 1 L per hundred. Low fuel warning at 1/4 tank. Most irritating part is fuel gage drops to 3/4 after driving like 15k after filling up. Over the years I've learnt to use fuel gauge as a guide only. It's only empty when needle is in middle of the E.
    Yes I forgot to mention that. After 40km I have used 1/4 of a tank

Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post
    Yes I reset everything to 0

Just use your trip odo, by now you have a fair idea of the normal range on a tank..............

Had the same on my GV. so inaccurate, it is just a gimmick! But the GV is still a guzler, irrespective of this.
    Last edited by hatjohan; 2019/06/05 at 05:53 PM.

The attached are the results of tests carried out by SASA wrt the GV fuel tank.I run at about 10.4l/100km as an average, the most I have achieved after the low fuel light comes on is a further 90km
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 SUZUKI GRAND VITARA 2,4 A/T
    WIZERD LIFT KIT, WIZERD BASH PLATES,
    WIZERD TRANSFER CASE PROTECTOR,
    WIZERD ROCKSLIDERS, 235/65/17 BRIDGESTONE A/T
    1984 SUZUKI SJ 410

I think they wanted the GV to be able to do 100km with the low fuel light on..... and that is about a 1/4 tank

Quote Originally Posted by StevenG View Post
    The attached are the results of tests carried out by SASA wrt the GV fuel tank.I run at about 10.4l/100km as an average, the most I have achieved after the low fuel light comes on is a further 90km
    Interesting. Any idea why this test was carried out? Were there maybe questions about tank size?

I think it was to determine the distance capabilities of the GV once the low fuel warning light has come on. Possibly questions were raised even then as to the low fuel light coming on at what seems very early.

My "range" normally reads 40km just before the warning light comes on followed by ---, but even then I can safely drive another 70km's.
    2008 SUZUKI GRAND VITARA 2,4 A/T
    WIZERD LIFT KIT, WIZERD BASH PLATES,
    WIZERD TRANSFER CASE PROTECTOR,
    WIZERD ROCKSLIDERS, 235/65/17 BRIDGESTONE A/T
    1984 SUZUKI SJ 410

Default Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4 - computer fuel calcs are rubbish?

Happy with my 2008 GV 2.4 fuel computer - usually about 0,5l/100km optimistic.
    Can usually add about 5l to totally fill after initial auto-stop.
    Doing this I drive 50 to 70 km before the fuel gauge moves below fill.
    Reserve light comes on just above empty - if I then totally refill car it takes 52l or 53l
    This equates to a reserve of around 16l

The GV is specified to take 66l however I suspect it is possible to get about 70l in when totally fill.

I don't drive aggressively and generally get 8l/100k on the open road
    Last edited by Mike_P; 2019/06/09 at 07:22 AM.

Apologies for coming in a bit late here.....
    FWM, are you saying that it's possible for the owner to re-calibrate the average fuel consumption? My GV is about a year old now. Since new the average fuel gauge read a very optimistic figure compared to the actual consumption (kms traveled divided by the litres used). So when I had my first service I asked the dealer to re-calibrate according to my own calculations. This they did without any ado.

So it does seem that any figure can be programmed into this gauge and it seems to stay like that indefinitely??
    My reserve light illuminates at the correct position on the fuel gauge....no problem with that.

Quote Originally Posted by shfish View Post
    Apologies for coming in a bit late here.....
    FWM, are you saying that it's possible for the owner to re-calibrate the average fuel consumption? My GV is about a year old now. Since new the average fuel gauge read a very optimistic figure compared to the actual consumption (kms traveled divided by the litres used). So when I had my first service I asked the dealer to re-calibrate according to my own calculations. This they did without any ado.

So it does seem that any figure can be programmed into this gauge and it seems to stay like that indefinitely??
    My reserve light illuminates at the correct position on the fuel gauge....no problem with that.
    On the GV you have an option to reset the average fuel consumption manually OR after every startup OR after every fill up if I remember correctly.
    So if its set to manual reset and you never reset it, it will be inaccurate.
    If its set to "After every startup" it will be calculated on that single trip only until you start it again
    If its set to "After refuel" it will be calculated on that one tank only until you refuel again.

Interesting! Guess I must read my owners manual properly. Thanks FWM.

On the GV you have an option to reset the average fuel consumption manually OR after every startup OR after every fill up if I remember correctly.
    So if its set to manual reset and you never reset it, it will be inaccurate.
    If its set to "After every startup" it will be calculated on that single trip only until you start it again
    If its set to "After refuel" it will be calculated on that one tank only until you refuel again.
    Mine is selected on this one. Very nice.
    Sent from my iPhone

A heads-up for fellow Grand Vitara 2.4 owners regarding fuel consumption.

I have just completed a trip of just under 5000km in my GV and my average usage was 11.0km/lt or 9.1lt/100km.

We were two people with associated baggage for 3 weeks. I generally travel between 105-115km/h with quite a light foot (very aware of the $$$). The trip consisted of 70% tar roads, lots of dirt where speeds ranged from 60-80km/h, 6 days in national parks and many stop-starts for birding.

Thought this may give an indication of consumption over a typical long trip. How does this compare with others' experiences and also other similar vehicles?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast