Range rover sport 4.2 strange noise

Default Range rover sport 4.2 strange noise

Hi All
    I have a strange sqeecking noise when going uphill or on kickdown , when the car is cold no noise only at normal temp. It sounds like a exhaust manifold leak. I replaced all the belts tensioner pulleys and waterpump yesterday and still the same. At normal cruising speed level no noise , Anybody that had the same problem on the Range Rover. The cost to replace the exhaust manifolds only parts will be about R16 000 , and I don't want to take the body off and then discovers it's not the exhaust.
    When the car is standing parked and you rev it no noise , only when making power uphill or on kickdown.
    Range Rover Sport SC 4.2 V8 ( FATBOY )
    Disco1 V8 ( LAZYBOY )
    Austin Mini 1380cc ( Finiky )

Default Re: Range rover sport 4.2 strange noise

On the 4.2 you can see the exhaust manifolds through the wheelarches. Look for signs of black soot around them. The heat shields strip off quickly for an inspection.

You do not need to take the body off to replace the exhaust manifolds. It will be easier but it is not absolutely necessary. It takes about 4 hours per side. And a bit of skin off the knuckles.

Good luck. Hopefully it is something small.
    Last edited by JeandreDiedericks; 2019/06/05 at 07:03 PM.
    2005 Land Rover Discovery 3 V8 (Will allways end up with an V8)
    1967 Land Rover Series 2A 3.5 V8 (The Green Machine)
    196? Land Rover Series 2 V8 100" (The Coiler)
    2007 Subaru Forester XT 2.5T (The Daily)

Ex.
    1996 Land Rover Discovery 1 Tdi
    1997 Land Rover Discovery 1 V8
    2001 Land Rover Discovery 2 V8
    2006 Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6
    2007 Land Rover Freelander 2 TD4

Quote Originally Posted by JeandreDiedericks View Post
    On the 4.2 you can see the exhaust manifolds through the wheelarches. Look for signs of black soot around them. The heat shields strip off quickly for an inspection.

You do not need to take the body off to replace the exhaust manifolds. It will be easier but it is not absolutely necessary. It takes about 4 hours per side. And a bit of skin off the knuckles.

Good luck. Hopefully it is something small.
    Thanks , I will take off the front wheels and see if I can pick up something , it appears to be on the drivers side of the motor but I can be wrong.
    Disco1 V8 ( LAZYBOY )

Try putting an action cam in various places(either zip tied in place, taped to something or using suction mounts) and filming the the engine whilst going for a drive. It's a very helpful diagnostics tool, using an action cam recently helped me solve a suspension knock I just couldn't get to the bottom of.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Try putting an action cam in various places(either zip tied in place, taped to something or using suction mounts) and filming the the engine whilst going for a drive. It's a very helpful diagnostics tool, using an action cam recently helped me solve a suspension knock I just couldn't get to the bottom of.
    Thanks for this advise
    Disco1 V8 ( LAZYBOY )