Discovery 4 Tyre Advice

Default Discovery 4 Tyre Advice

Good day Everyone

We will be departing to Mabuasehube in 4 weeks time. In the past we never took extra spare tyre with and (touch wood) never experienced any tyre issues there. However on my last couple of trips with my old D2 I took an extra spare tyre with. Never used it. Now with my D4 I struggle to find space for an extra spare tyre. Would it be foolish not to take an extra tyre? I do have a good tyre repair kit. We will only spend 4 nights in Mabua, the rest will be in the South African side. I run the standard 255/55R19 Cooper ZEONs on the Disco.

Thanks
    Andre
    2011 Discovery 4 V8 HSE

Default Re: Discovery 4 Tyre Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Fourie110 View Post
    Good day Everyone

We will be departing to Mabuasehube in 4 weeks time. In the past we never took extra spare tyre with and (touch wood) never experienced any tyre issues there. However on my last couple of trips with my old D2 I took an extra spare tyre with. Never used it. Now with my D4 I struggle to find space for an extra spare tyre. Would it be foolish not to take an extra tyre? I do have a good tyre repair kit. We will only spend 4 nights in Mabua, the rest will be in the South African side. I run the standard 255/55R19 Cooper ZEONs on the Disco.

Thanks
    Andre
    Andre, I cannot answer your question regarding if you should or should not. I do carry a second spare on the roofrack whenever I do these trips. What I can share, which I copied sometime ago from somwhere on the forum, is the tyre pressures for our low profile Discovery tyres. I keep this saved on my phone and since adhering to it have not had any punctures.

TYRE PRESSURES - Discovery 4 - 255/55R19

LIGHT LOAD : Front & Rear

Bitumen: 100% :
    2.3 Bar & 2.5 Bar

Gravel: 10 15% :
    2 Bar & 2.25 Bar

Corrugated dirt tracks: 10 15% :
    2 Bar & 2.25 Bar

Sharp rocks: 10 15% :
    2 Bar & 2.25 Bar

Smooth rocks: 20 50%:
    1,8 - 1.15 Bar & 2 - 1.25 Bar

Mud: 25%:
    1.7 Bar & 1.9 Bar

Sand: 50 60% :
    1.15 Bar & 1.25 Bar

HEAVY LOAD : Front & Rear

Bitumen: 100% :
    2.5 Bar & 2.9 Bar

Gravel: 10 15% :
    2.25 Bar & 2.6 Bar

Corrugated dirt tracks: 10 15% :
    2.25 Bar & 2.6 Bar

Sharp rocks: 10 15% :
    2.25 Bar & 2.6 Bar

Smooth rocks: 20 50%:
    2 - 1.25 Bar & 2.3 - 1.45 Bar

Mud: 25%:
    1.9 Bar & 2.18 Bar

Sand: 50 60% :
    1.25 Bar & 1.45 Bar
    Rudi
    2014 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE
    Afrispoor Cheetah

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rudi P For This Useful Post:

Hi Rudi

Thanks very much. That is a great help. Just one question regarding driving in soft sand and lowering tyre pressures. I will obviously get a warning on my dash saying my tyre pressures are too low. Do I just ignore it or is there another way of dealing with it.
    2011 Discovery 4 V8 HSE

Hi Rudi

Thanks very much. That is a great help. Just one question regarding driving in soft sand and lowering tyre pressures. I will obviously get a warning on my dash saying my tyre pressures are too low. Do I just ignore it or is there another way of dealing with it.
    I just ignore it, but then I have a TPMS that shows me every tire individual pressure.
    Rudi
    2014 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE
    Afrispoor Cheetah

When visiting Mabua a few years ago, I never deflated my Disco4s tyres (also standard but the Duratracs). I ran them at 2.5bar and never had any problems getting stuck in the thick sand. We also towed a BushLapa into Mabua and on our way out took the dreaded Tsabong sand road - no deflation of tyres at all.
    Bush Lapa Miskruier: B116

I would say your only real risk is if you shred a tyre through overheating (or throwing the tread), or through a tree stump or sharp rock sidewall (or even tread) gash. Then you no longer have a spare.

Personally, I always throw a spare tyre (only) on longer trips on top of the roof top tent and go through the hassle of removing and replacing every time we make/break camp. Its worth it to save the hassle of finding a replacement in the odd sizes that we generally have.

But if it was me, I would go to Mabua with just the standard spare, compressor, tyre irons, plenty string plugs, and some radial gaiters and solution (the gaiter solution is not the same as that for the string plugs, although I have used string plug solution for gaiters). Its a short trip and not too far from Upington if you really are in a fix. IMHO.....

Its not too difficult to get the tyre off the rim and repair it from the inside with a gaiter if you have a minor gash, just so you still have a spare.
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
    2007 Fortuner 3.0 D4D

8. The Following User Says Thank You to zoneout For This Useful Post:

Good day Everyone

Thanks
    Andre
    Andre

I dont think you should be concerned about an extra spare, you are using Cooper Zeons which is perfect for Mabua , but you will need to carry a lot of extra fuel.

http://www.overlandworx.com

Take Care
    Stay frosty (Be alert at all times: We Live in a war zone)
    Peter Street

2013 Disco 4 SDV6 HSE 8sp AKA " Gr8 White Induna"
    2019 Disco 5 TD6 HSE AKA Disco V

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tgwinduna For This Useful Post:

After a stressful incident in Kgalagadi, where I lost two tyres (low pressure & hit a small rock), I try to always carry an extra spare.

BTW, I may have a good condition 255/55R19 Cooper ZEON on a 19" D4 rim, if you are interested. PM me.

I carry the spare tyre on a small Thule roof rack, plus some extra fuel if required.

Discovery 1 1996 V8i (Sold, owned for 20 years); Freelander 2 2013 SD4 SE; Discovery 4 2014 SDV6 SE; Bushlapa Boskriek

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jola For This Useful Post:

When visiting Kgalagadi (Disco4 and Disco5) I never deflate the tyres. Yes I know its against the rules, but then again I have never lost a tyre.
    Bush Lapa Miskruier: B116

14. The Following User Says Thank You to HJB01 For This Useful Post:

Thanks for all the replies. Jola I will send you a PM. Yes thanks Peter, I think the rest should be fine. I spoke to Jonathan and would like to rent that Bush Repair Kit from you guys at Overland Worx that include a iCarsoft tool. I do have an extra 80 litre fuel thank. That will be 160 Litres in total and I might get an extra double jerry can holder for an additional 40 litres.

Cheers
    Andre
    2011 Discovery 4 V8 HSE