Stealers - please stop the thievery! - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Stealers - please stop the thievery!

Quote Originally Posted by WAJ View Post
    Cant find it no-one has them - phoned the whole world allready....
    What year model is yours?

Look on GUD website, it's excellent.Name:  Screenshot_20190531-203642_Samsung%20Internet.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  29.4 KB
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

3. The Following User Says Thank You to duncang For This Useful Post:

WAJ

For people with vehicles under warranty the dealers has got us by the ..... IMHO you should be able to keep your warranty if you do repairs/services at any RMI accredited workshop.
    Chris

Current - 2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser with some extras
    Ex - 2015 Ford Ranger XL Plus 4x4 D/C P/U RSI Canopy
    Ex - 2014 Suzuki Jimny - Amada Xtreme 40mm suspension upgrade and Eezi-awn k9 roofrack (sold )

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ungie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    I found Kia and Hyundai were identical. Find the equivalent to Sorento
    That will be the Santa Fe you are looking for.
    Renault Duster 1.5Dci 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    Look on GUD website, it's excellent.Name:  Screenshot_20190531-203642_Samsung%20Internet.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  29.4 KB
    Works nice - I found the part number of the specific filter the KIA uses, but so far could not find a spares shop that has that specific one in stock. I guess the search continues.
    Last edited by WAJ; 2019/06/03 at 07:45 AM.
    Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4
    Platkar - Haaihoendaai i20 1.4]

Ex'es
    KIA Sorento 2.5 Crdi 4x4 (diesel guzzler of note)
    Nissan Terrano II 2.7
    Mazda Drifter DC 2.5 4x4
    Toyota 60 series 5.7 V8
    Daihatsu Rocky 2.8

I needed a rear disk for my BMW 1200 bike, BMW asked R4750 fitted. Bike tyre warehouse fitted one for me @ R1300.
    the stealers are a bloody rip off, period.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnna For This Useful Post:

Some of them can be quite reasonable with certain parts

And then want a couple of gold bars for others

How about a single CV half shaft
    So inner and outer CV and shaft and you then have to assemble it
    R9,750

Imported 2 complete ones fully assembled for quite bit less than half that
    Last edited by Veneficus; 2019/06/03 at 09:27 AM.
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

The ridiculous discrepancies are not just in SA.

Two years ago in USA, I noticed a whine and clunk on the D3 V8 I was using, and diagnosed front wheel bearing. Was replacing and balancing a couple of tyres, and had the diagnosis confirmed.

I can't remember the name of the tyre shop, but I do recall we ended up paying for both front bearings LH and RH at about $180.00 per side, and they would do the job there and then, whilst it was on the hoist.

Over the road was LR Sacramento, so I took a little stroll over to compare pricing - $700-800 per side, and we could book it in for two days time.

I was using that vehicle three weeks ago, up in Washington State. It does about 500 miles a week on average, half highway, half very twisty roads in the Cascades, and often well loaded. Wheels still running silently.
    Ex - 109 SIIA R6 pickup, rebuilt from a kraal find, still thrashing around in the Zim Lowveld.
    1972 88 Safari SW petrol - Mellie
    1995 Disco I 300TDi - Daisy
    Ex - 2003 Face Lift Disco II Td5 auto - d'Arcy. Now living by the sea in KZN.
    2003 Defender 110 Td5 - Bruce
    Ex - 2005 D3 V8. Still in the family in Washington State USA.
    Ex - 2007 Freelander Td4 HSE. Still in the family in Bury St Edmunds, UK

Life is a journey. Have you determined your final destination?

Over the weekend my mothers Ford Figo gave up (my mother was amendment that it wasn't the battery, she tried to jump and bump start it) - her insurance took it to Ford Greenstone.

I found out Yesterday morning that the diagnosis was R5000 for a new battery and a cracked and leaking radiator reservoir bottle.
    I went there to check, they pointed to some scuff marks on the bottle - the bottle wasn't cracked and wasn't leaking. I couldn't believe how arrogant the service adviser was - I told them they were lying criminals - they then wanted R2000 for a new battery - I asked them for a boost - drove across the road to TWT and bought a battery for R1000 also with a 24 month warranty.
    Last edited by BrusselSprout; 2019/06/04 at 08:34 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BrusselSprout For This Useful Post:

Yeah I have seen some serious abuse of prices by dealers.

Around 5 or 6 years ago, I had a Nissan Terrano 2.7 tdi. It needed an injector since its injector number one has some sort of sensor in it that talks to the computer (unlike the hardbody with mechanical injection). Since it was a full import by Nissan, only they had the specific injector. The dealers wanted R22k for just that one injector, and around another R8k for the other 3 which only the tips are being replaced.

I flipped and used some choice words at them. Through a friend of a friend of a friend who knew someone at the Roslyn factory, I managed to get that injector for just under R2k - and it wasnt some special discount, its just that the factory does not sell to the public unless you have a contact. So the dealers probably also pays that price and sommer added a 1000% as their markup ! WTF?

I managed to get a replacement cabin pollen filter for my KIA. I went to a GUD filter place and took the measurements of the plastic cartridge frame and eventually got the correct filter spec number - AC81 - and the GUD website had it wrong as they said its the AC75 which is way too large. Got the box with the 2 filters for R190 - much better that the R1200 at the stealers !

Ex'es
    Nissan Terrano II 2.7
    Mazda Drifter DC 2.5 4x4
    Toyota 60 series 5.7 V8
    Daihatsu Rocky 2.8

Mmmm, yes they can be expensive, but not always. Many years ago when money was still worth something, I wanted a link for a VW Jetta, the little plastic one on the gears. Scrapyard charged R50, VW charged R8.50 for a brand new one.

I buy all the filters for my Ford Ranger 2.5TD at Ford(Paardeneiland), their filters are cheaper than the aftermarket ones from Autozone etc. I don't have a contact, but I always have a joke with the salesmen, so maybe I get a good discount or something.

Flip side of the coin, the glow plug relay on it went belly up. They wanted R2880, Mitshubishi right next door sells the same thing, but still wanted R1600. I went home, opened the relay and saw the contact points must have bent back from many thousands of hits, I bent them back towards each other and it's been going perfectly for about 3 years now.

By no means in defense of the dealers as I believe there is always room for improvement. Here are some factors/calcs used in determining parts and parts prices:

1. Parts pricing have a component based on a Service Level % and Probabilities. For instance, if a part has to be available at all locations on demand, this would be a SL of 100%. The Z Score for 99.9999% is 3.44. Compare this to a part that has to be available at a 50% SL, the Z is 0.00. Using 50% as the base line price, say R10.00, then at a 100% availability, simplistically, R10 x 3.44. = R34.40. However, not all dealers have all the parts available 100% of the time, hence the room for improvement.

2. Parts Holding Policy of 10 years for all models sold during that period adds to the carrying cost of the parts within the total parts system

3. Being Brand specific limits the parts spread so where a Midas can carry 500 different types of brake pads, a dealer only carries 10. The bulk buying of volume across the widest range of makes and models results in better pricing from suppliers for the Midas guys.

4. The industry is a Push based model where the factory dictates the number of vehicles a country will take and that in turn is pushed down to dealer level, tying up cash in stock. The factories also dictate the parts holding per vehicle, termed a ''recommended parts holding'' and split into categories such as ''A''parts (Service high volume parts) up to D and beyond (parts you might sell) and of course being restricted to a single source of supply, an area where the generalists such as Midas, are not restricted and can negotiate better pricing from manufacturers.

There are other factors, the nett result being that Brand specific dealers have a number of inefficiencies within their parts systems, mainly as a result of the business model. These could be improved but the resultant savings would probably go to profits and not be passed on to the customer in any event. Its a model that is ripe for a disruptor and keep in mind, one fueled by customer ego. (How many of us have replaced a vehicle in = or <5 years on the basis of wanting a newer model with glitzier gadgetry and to pull one over the colleagues in the office parking lot?)

If you want lowest cost motoring while the above environment prevails, you will have to buy one of the mid-range popular brands and models where high volumes have been sold and the replicators are churning out parts hands over fist.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

I think Estee has given some interesting insight. There is also the fundamental supply and demand economics. The dealers tend to make their money on servicing more than selling new vehicles (I assume this is still the case.) As such it is very much in their interests to keep the workshop busy.

If they loose enough turnover to lower cost competition, then economic reality suggests that they would have to offer more competitive pricing. I think one of the biggest changes, would be loosing their "service plan" and as mentioned above, loosing the ability to tie you to their franchise during the warrantee period as is the case in the US. There was rumbling about this being introduced locally some years back, but I guess that the auto lobby is too strong, so the legislation never got off the ground?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    I think Estee has given some interesting insight. There is also the fundamental supply and demand economics. The dealers tend to make their money on servicing more than selling new vehicles (I assume this is still the case.) As such it is very much in their interests to keep the workshop busy.

If they loose enough turnover to lower cost competition, then economic reality suggests that they would have to offer more competitive pricing. I think one of the biggest changes, would be loosing their "service plan" and as mentioned above, loosing the ability to tie you to their franchise during the warrantee period as is the case in the US. There was rumbling about this being introduced locally some years back, but I guess that the auto lobby is too strong, so the legislation never got off the ground?
    I also forgot exchange rates and duties in some instances.

The sales of new vehicles is seen as a means of increasing the vehicle pool or population in order to leverage the revenue streams from servicing, you quite right there. The risk is migration to other dealers, (loss of revenue) and when services will take place (variation in parts holding requirements). Both these areas can be addressed with sizzling customer loyalty programmes for the former and statistical analysis and forecasting for the latter.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    I also forgot exchange rates and duties in some instances.

The sales of new vehicles is seen as a means of increasing the vehicle pool or population in order to leverage the revenue streams from servicing, you quite right there. The risk is migration to other dealers, (loss of revenue) and when services will take place (variation in parts holding requirements). Both these areas can be addressed with sizzling customer loyalty programmes for the former and statistical analysis and forecasting for the latter.
    This post, and your previous one are all well and good, but they only address the thinking behind pricing and do nothing to explain what is, without putting too fine a point on it, price gouging in most cases.

If the "Right to Repair" movement gains traction in SA, the dealers will only have themselves to thank because they have for all intents and purposes grown the tree and even cut the stick for their own backs.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Quote Originally Posted by WAJ View Post
    Works nice - I found the part number of the specific filter the KIA uses, but so far could not find a spares shop that has that specific one in stock. I guess the search continues.
    NASCAR will order for you

Toyota Etios 2014 model

4 shocks:

Toyota - R6400 after discount excl. fitment

Monroe - R3900 incl. fitment
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
    This post, and your previous one are all well and good, but they only address the thinking behind pricing and do nothing to explain what is, without putting too fine a point on it, price gouging in most cases.

If the "Right to Repair" movement gains traction in SA, the dealers will only have themselves to thank because they have for all intents and purposes grown the tree and even cut the stick for their own backs.
    I agree 100%, hence my opening statement on not defending the dealers and that there is room for improvement. I also mention that the business model is ripe for a Disruptor like the right-to-repair movement and personally, I cant wait. I fear that the manufacturers will hold the Gov to ransom with the threats of Job losses when they raise the right-to-repair issue.

Its a racket for sure

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    NASCAR will order for you
    The one on the GUD website is the wrong filter for my specific vehicle.

Went to a filter specific store and took the measurements of the plastic frames these filters sits in and paged through their GUD book and found one with the correct specs but they did not have stock of it, so went to a small local spares shop and they had a pair of them for like R190.

The Sorento uses the same ones as a Hyundai Tucson and some other Korean cars as well.

Ex'es
    Nissan Terrano II 2.7
    Mazda Drifter DC 2.5 4x4
    Toyota 60 series 5.7 V8
    Daihatsu Rocky 2.8

To add my 2 cent, recently my V8 tdi treg went for 135k lube service at VW ermelo. ( As I drive from Swaziland I wait in ermelo the whole day) I asked them along with the basic service of oil and filter to check if the can re seat LHS plastic wheel arch trim as it seems to have missed a plastic clip.

at around 2pm I get a call from a service advisor that the quote for the service is coming to R 43 500 odd rands.

Natural I said hold your horses, Im just around the corner finishing lunch will be there in 2 min to see what is this all about. Expecting a big problem with the car.

The quote was like this:

Front brake pads sensor and discs came to around R 18K - these I got from Goldwagen for a total of R 3000 for disks pads and sensors.

To re seat the front plastic wheel arch they quoted two amounts of around R 5000 so a total of R 10 000 to take it our and put it in ( seems like the plastic wheel arch inner needs to come out )

Front wipers wear reasonable costed at R 270 each

Rear wiper however was quoted at R 5500 as it involved some effort to remove out reinstall.

I authorized them to proceed with the lube service which came to R 2300 including labour.

At least the service book gets a stamp keeping it " Full Franchise service history"

2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast