What Can A Scorpio Do?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What Can A Scorpio Do?

So I finally bought the Scoprio, had it for a month now and have done 7000kms in it and now need to test it out on some trail or other.

What are they capable of? I havent done De Wildt, would it manage that? Beraka I think is a bridge too far at this stage as its stock. Hennops? How is the Wedge - it looks more like an ostacle course than a trail.

Basically just want to get an idea of the capabilities of the car at this stage. Appreciate the feedback from them that know.
    '19 Scorpio S11

Default Re: What Can A Scorpio Do?

Assuming your Scorpio is 4x4, Try out the Groenkloof trail, Hennops has 2 trails, de Wildt is good. The Thar has the same diff and transfer case as the Scorpio and that moves smoothly on those trails. Some of it very challenging but the vehicle is more than capable, it normally is the driver that is a bit bang. I speak for myself too. If you need someone to team up with, let me know.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using SA 4x4 Community Forum mobile app

Watch for the clearance and tupperware! Other than that, hook low range and enjoy. Please send pics of what you did.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

Quote Originally Posted by VaalPens View Post
    Assuming your Scorpio is 4x4, Try out the Groenkloof trail, Hennops has 2 trails, de Wildt is good. The Thar has the same diff and transfer case as the Scorpio and that moves smoothly on those trails. Some of it very challenging but the vehicle is more than capable, it normally is the driver that is a bit bang. I speak for myself too. If you need someone to team up with, let me know.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using SA 4x4 Community Forum mobile app
    Hi VaalPens, didnt stipulate 4X4 but yes it is.

I last did Groenkloof eight or nine years ago and was under the impression that it was now closed or unsafe or something.

Thanks anyweay, will let you know if I can get an opening this weekend.
    '19 Scorpio S11

havent been let down by my 2.2 4x4 yet
    It has alot more talent that I do

Did Hobbypark's courses without any issues. Want to still try dewilt

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20190601-WA0003.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	529840Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20190601-WA0004.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	529841

So finally got a chance to take the Scorpio to De Wildt and I came away massively impressed.

Managed to do all of the obstacles bar Gert se Klip, basically cos I didnt want to damage the running boards. We also didnt manage to do the first obstacle up the hill with the massive cross axle ditches, again due to fear of damage, but also I dont think the Scorpios limited articulation and lack of diff lock would get us through.

Otherwise, very impressive. Low Range 1st is very low which is great, and the diesel motor is excellent at low speed work. Enough power to do pretty much everything apart from wild stuff.

I would like to get a diff locker put in at sometime, but for now I am very impressed.

Only dinged the front nudge bar at the bottom coming over an obstacle and dented it against a rock, otherwise no issues.

Pics, which seem to rotate by themselves, show limited articulation, so taking the right line is key.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190601_133840.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	315.2 KB 
ID:	529836   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190601_123227.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	444.3 KB 
ID:	529837   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190601_123249.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	485.9 KB 
ID:	529838   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190601_124605.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	375.0 KB 
ID:	529839  
    Last edited by ChrisTarby; 2019/06/02 at 12:08 PM.
    '19 Scorpio S11

It has a diff lock of sorts, it's called an eaton diff and I have figured out exactly how it works and it works well.

As a scorpio owner from a wetter part of the world, I'll tell you one thing i won't do in mine, and that is water deeper than the wheel bearings for any length of time.

What I have seen over here is a lot of people complaining about their wheel bearings failing, and this can lead to a broken rear axle and the rear wheel actually coming off. Yet other people seem to get 100's of thousands of kilometers with no wheel bearing issues.

Till one day the penny dropped, i think i have figured it out. Everybody who has had wheel bearing failures, takes their scorpio through rivers and deeper water. My theory is that scorpios may be prone to hub cooling and sucking water into the bearings. Not 100% certain i am correct, but in anycase, i keep mine out of water as much as i can, and at 117,000 kms, wheel bearings still good. Touch wood.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTarby View Post

So finally got a chance to take the Scorpio to De Wildt and I came away massively impressed.

Managed to do all of the obstacles bar Gert se Klip, basically cos I didnt want to damage the running boards. We also didnt manage to do the first obstacle up the hill with the massive cross axle ditches, again due to fear of damage, but also I dont think the Scorpios limited articulation and lack of diff lock would get us through.

Otherwise, very impressive. Low Range 1st is very low which is great, and the diesel motor is excellent at low speed work. Enough power to do pretty much everything apart from wild stuff.

I would like to get a diff locker put in at sometime, but for now I am very impressed.

Only dinged the front nudge bar at the bottom coming over an obstacle and dented it against a rock, otherwise no issues.

Pics, which seem to rotate by themselves, show limited articulation, so taking the right line is key.
    Nice photo's, thank you for sharing!

I just love the look of the Scorpio and as expected it is very capable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi 4x4 View Post
    It has a diff lock of sorts, it's called an eaton diff and I have figured out exactly how it works and it works well.

As a scorpio owner from a wetter part of the world, I'll tell you one thing i won't do in mine, and that is water deeper than the wheel bearings for any length of time.

What I have seen over here is a lot of people complaining about their wheel bearings failing, and this can lead to a broken rear axle and the rear wheel actually coming off. Yet other people seem to get 100's of thousands of kilometers with no wheel bearing issues.

Till one day the penny dropped, i think i have figured it out. Everybody who has had wheel bearing failures, takes their scorpio through rivers and deeper water. My theory is that scorpios may be prone to hub cooling and sucking water into the bearings. Not 100% certain i am correct, but in anycase, i keep mine out of water as much as i can, and at 117,000 kms, wheel bearings still good. Touch wood.
    Hey Kiwi

Agree with you re the water. I generally have stayed well clear of it and mud in all my cars and if I do have to wade then it's changing all the oils in diffs and boxes.

Regarding the lockers, we only get the Eaton diff in the pickups and not in the SUV for some strange reason. They are available to buy from Eaton and I am currently awaiting a quote from them. If it's not too much $$$ then I will put it in.

Nonetheless, I have always enjoyed the challenge of no lockers but would like to do Baboons pass in Lesotho and not sure I could do it without.
    '19 Scorpio S11

Didn't know that about the SUV's.

If it's affordable, I would recommend getting the eaton diff. Many a time I've had a wheel spinning, then you feel it kick in and off you go. However if getting one as an add on, i guess you need to factor in what you are willing to pay for the convenience, most situations there is another way out.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTarby View Post
    So I finally bought the Scoprio, had it for a month now and have done 7000kms in it and now need to test it out on some trail or other.

What are they capable of? I havent done De Wildt, would it manage that? Beraka I think is a bridge too far at this stage as its stock. Hennops? How is the Wedge - it looks more like an ostacle course than a trail.

Basically just want to get an idea of the capabilities of the car at this stage. Appreciate the feedback from them that know.
    We did Beraka a few years ago. Friend of mine did it with a stock standard Mazda 2.5td....

No lift, nothing. Can be done if you're carefull.

Are you happy with your Scorpio SUV Chris? Am also looking at getting one ... Any negatives so far?

Check out my video on youtube. Give a thumbs up (or down) please

https://youtu.be/JqCHKqYZzoU

This is me at Mabalingwe having fun on the mini track they have there. I only did this part on the track and skipped the others as I still had a long way to travel and didn't want to break anything. Good line and correct gear counts a lot as can be seen by the video

Hi Chris, that Pikup has the Eaton Locker (MLD) on the rear diff, you did not give it enough time to engage. That vehicle can go up the first line you took, just give it time to engage by itself, meaning you have to let the loose wheel to spin for a second or two and then it will engage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
    Check out my video on youtube. Give a thumbs up (or down) please

https://youtu.be/JqCHKqYZzoU

This is me at Mabalingwe having fun on the mini track they have there. I only did this part on the track and skipped the others as I still had a long way to travel and didn't want to break anything. Good line and correct gear counts a lot as can be seen by the video

This video shows how the MLD engages. https://youtu.be/VLEFerXnJQI
    Hi Chris, that Pikup has the Eaton Locker (MLD) on the rear diff, you did not give it enough time to engage. That vehicle can go up the first line you took, just give it time to engage by itself, meaning you have to let the loose wheel to spin for a second or two and then it will engage.

Official video my Mahindra
    https://youtu.be/m-Vsk1flhbU

Wow. That jerk the vehicle gives would scare the bedinges out of me.

I am opening the diff up this weekend as I need to replace the fluid anyway. I will take pics and post.

Regarding the above posts about the wheel bearings not liking water, would servicing them according to the service schedule not prevent that?

Here is my latest video. The DC LDV is a pretty comfortable vehicle going up and down the rough track. I am driving up to the lookout point on the Pitsi road at Mabalingwe.

https://youtu.be/yAehwiQjcy4

Please like and subscribe

Quote Originally Posted by StevenDB View Post
    Are you happy with your Scorpio SUV Chris? Am also looking at getting one ... Any negatives so far?
    Sorry Steve, only saw your query now.

I love it, TBH. I recommend it to everybody I meet.

What other 8 seater 4X4 can you get for the price?

Its economical, its comfortable and I am pleasantly surprised what it can do offroad.

It has its drawbacks - it's not as quick as my BILs Everest. Its plasticky. Its noisier than an Everest. Its bouncier too. But I can have two Scorpios for one Tuna or Everest.

Consumption is good - ave 8.7l/100 driving at 130 for the last 25000 kms. Drive train seems bullet proof as does engine.

It sits all day long at 130 on the cruise control. It's on road handling is good. It's got a lot of space without the third row of seats in. It tows very well.

So yes, I am liking it more and more. If it lasts ten years and 500,000 kms, I really couldn't care about aftermarket sales and value.
    '19 Scorpio S11

Andrew Saint Pierre White calls it " cute as a button"
    He must have looked at this image because next to the cutie I see a Brute
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	button.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	318.8 KB 
ID:	541638
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Don't let schooling interfere with your education.
    Mark Twain

2012 SUZUKI GRAND VITARA
    EFS, 4X4 DIRECT SNORKEL, 5 X 225/70R17 MAXXIS 980
    FUTURE - ROOF RACK or METALIAN MINI IN TOW

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast