Border crossings Zimbabwe/Zambia.

Default Border crossings Zimbabwe/Zambia.

Can the moderators make this subject a sticky as information on this subject is important but it is scattered all over all the pages of the Zambia/Zimbabwe threads.

It is well known that Chirundu is the difficult border where a Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) was required. In posts about a year ago there were also posts about additional certificate(s) being required.

In 2013 from Zambia to Zimbabwe at Kariba we would have had trouble getting through without PCC's and getting clearance from the so-called Interpol officials operating outside from the boot of a car).

At none of the other borders I ever had problems or requests for a PCC (e.g. Sesheke ,Kazungula, Nyamapanda).
    I have not been through Chirundu but hope to go through end of June 2019.

Since 2013 I always got a PCC after getting a Vehicle Clearance Certificate (VCC). The VCC is fairly easy to get but the police do not want to issue PCC's as they say you only need it if you want to sell the vehicle in another country. I really had to spend a lot of time to get it out of them.
    The SAPS says that you only need a VCC to go on a journey outside RSA.

The VCC states that the vehicle has not been reported stolen but also states that it does not replace the PCC.

In some recent reports I saw that people went through Chirundu without problems with only the VCC.
    (by the way I had to get my vehicle data- dotted in 2013 before the police would issue the VCC.)

Can we please get recent information on this. The SAPS station at Brakfontein, Centurion where I used to get my VCC (and PCC) has closed.

I think getting a VCC would be fairly easy at another office (e.g Waltloo) but do we still need the PCC for Chirundu and Kariba or did members went through with only the VCC.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kobus P Venter For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Border crossings Zimbabwe/Zambia.

I just got myself the "CHECKING SLIP STOLEN STATUS" Police Clearance form for my vehicle today 29 May 2019, from the Langlaagte Licensing Department in Johannesburg. It was a painless process, cost nothing, no data dots asked for. See my full report below:

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...92#post4153692

I don't know how it's done in other cities in South Africa, but this form, as far as I'm aware, has been handed out at Langlaagte to vehicles travelling across the borders temporarily since at least 2011. I know it's been used successfully in the past for police clearance issues at the Zim/Moz Nyampanda border at that time (2011).

I'm lead to believe this is an accepted document at the Zim/Zam Chirundu border as well (I'll be testing it next week!), see below:

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...48#post3885748

Hope this helps someone.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WillH For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by WillH View Post
    I just got myself the "CHECKING SLIP STOLEN STATUS" Police Clearance form for my vehicle today 29 May 2019, from the Langlaagte Licensing Department in Johannesburg. It was a painless process, cost nothing, no data dots asked for. See my full report below:

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...92#post4153692

I don't know how it's done in other cities in South Africa, but this form, as far as I'm aware, has been handed out at Langlaagte to vehicles travelling across the borders temporarily since at least 2011. I know it's been used successfully in the past for police clearance issues at the Zim/Moz Nyampanda border at that time (2011).

I'm lead to believe this is an accepted document at the Zim/Zam Chirundu border as well (I'll be testing it next week!), see below:

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...48#post3885748

Hope this helps someone.
    I see on their website the AA quotes the PCC as a requirement for Chirundu specifically. Hope yours works!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AlbertT For This Useful Post:

Does anyone know where one can obtain a "Checking slip stolen status" from the police in the Pretoria area.
    I will also get a Vehicle Clearance Certificate (VCC). WillH when will you be able to report back? Thanks.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kobus P Venter For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kobus P Venter View Post
    Does anyone know where one can obtain a "Checking slip stolen status" from the police in the Pretoria area.
    I will also get a Vehicle Clearance Certificate (VCC). WillH when will you be able to report back? Thanks.
    Hi Kobus,
    I'll be back late June. Will let you know how it goes.
    I am however pretty content that I'll get through Zim/Zam/Moz border police with this form based on my own experience in 2011 at Nyampanda and FransBR's experience in 2018 at Chirundu where they showed him that exact form that they were looking for.

It does appear to be Langlaagte's form in both cases, so there may well be other variations issued by other SAPS centre's. I have no knowledge on this.

Regards
    Last edited by WillH; 2019/05/30 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Wrote the wrong border name. Corrected.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WillH For This Useful Post:

I am still working on the " checking slip stolen status" certificate in Pretoria.
    My normal contact say that they do not know such a document.
    Does anyone know where one obtain the Vehicle Clearance Certificate at Waltloo, Pretoria East? I remember some directions to a specific SAPS office on the site but cannot find it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kobus P Venter For This Useful Post:

Kobus,

As you enter Waltloo testing station, you must turn right (Northern side) towards the large parking/waiting area (there are usually a few buses standing there) where the roadworthies are done (Large high steel structure with corrugated/IBR? roof). On the right. underneath the large roof, there is a 'portacamp' for Police Clearance. First door is for PCC (that is if you want to export or sell or change (engine/color etc.) vehicle and second door (further into roof area) is for 'Temporary Police certification' which is what you apparently need for border crossings when going on holiday.

No cost, take your passport or ID and vehicle paper RC1 and do not get upset with the most annoying, irritating SAPS officer (middle aged white male 'DROL'!!!) who will do the certificate. The African gentleman doing the actual vehicle VIN checking with his torch, is actually an extremely pleasant chap!! I was told that, for the Temp certificate, I do not require microdot on my trailer (car already had it)! That was after paying R400 for the microdot nearby Waltloo (skoolgeld).

Actually, except for the DROL, an easy painless process at the SAPS Clearance Station, if early morning, 20-40 minutes in& out!! I was there yesterday!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ELU For This Useful Post:

ELU, Directions and information really appreciated!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kobus P Venter For This Useful Post:

Hi Kobus,
    I'll be back late June. Will let you know how it goes.
    I am however pretty content that I'll get through Zim/Zam/Moz border police with this form based on my own experience in 2011 at Nyampanda and FransBR's experience in 2018 at Chirundu where they showed him that exact form that they were looking for.

It does appear to be Langlaagte's form in both cases, so there may well be other variations issued by other SAPS centre's. I have no knowledge on this.

Regards
    Report back. Ended up going into Zambia via Bots/Kazangula Ferry. On the Zambian side there is an INTERPOL desk there that needs vehicle paperwork and does vehicle inspection. They were happy with my "CHECK STOLEN VEHICLE STATUS" paper issued by Langlaagte SAPS Johannesburg.
    They checked the paper, checked the RC1 (ownership paper), checked the VIN number through the windscreen, I filled in the vehicle log book at the INTERPOL counter and the INTERPOL process was done (there are plenty of other books to fill in and officials to visit before you are done at Kazangula on Zambian side, do the research before you go).

Cheers
    WillH

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WillH For This Useful Post:

Post Re: Border crossings Zimbabwe/Zambia.

Related to Crossing borders into Zambia, here's my recent experience at Kazangula.

We went from Bots to Zambia on a Sunday around 11am, it was not very busy by my personal "busy border" standards.

Driving through with a Subaru Forester GP/RSA licensed and registered/fully-paid in my name. South African Passport holders in the vehicle.

On the Botswana side we went though immigration and then customs:
    At the customs counter we were issued with a TEP (Temporary export permit). My understating is this was necessary because we had paid for a multi-entry vehicle permit for Botswana at Martins Drift. We handed back the TEP when we re-entered Botswana later on in the trip.
    (Earlier in the week, Kwa Nokeng Lodge had pre-sorted out the Bots Customs papers at Martins Drift and made life just a little easier at that border http://www.kwanokeng.com/vehicle-permit/ ).
    NO CHARGES on the Bots side of Kazangula for exiting.

We took the Botswana ferry as it was the next one to depart. Paid cash Pula to the Boatmaster on the Ferry, given a receipt. Initially the expected price was 200Pula, but then he decide the Subaru was not a Landcruiser and charged only 150Pula (Sedan rate I think?).

Zambian Side:
    We were carrying USD, Pula and Rand. But could not get Kwacha until arrival in Zambia (no Bureau de change in Bots cared for the Kwacha).
    So we needed:
    1. To change Money
    2. Go through Immigration (RSA passports, no charge)
    3. Buy 3rd Party Insurance for the vehicle (Kwacha)
    4. Visit Interpol for the vehicle (no charge, needed RC1 & Police Clearance/Stolen status paperwork, see previous posts in this thread)
    5. Acquire TIP for the vehicle(Temporary Import Permit, no charge)
    6. Pay Carbon Tax for the vehicle (Kwacha)
    7. Pay Council Levy for the vehicle (Kwacha)
    8. Pay Toll Fees for the vehicle (US Dollars)

Now I'd done my best to work out the sums and locations of all these offices/services ahead of time, but if you have not done this particular border dance before it is a maze of offices both informal and formal.

Option 1 is to try and do it all yourself:
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...03#post3212603
    https://www.zambiatourism.com/media/Border-crossing.pdf
    I have also attached my best aerial view of the border layout to try better orientate the uninitiated, but it is a place with lots of badly placed counters. Sometimes you go around the building, sometimes through it, sometimes out at the Entrance and in at the Exit, trying to get to the next counter/office/log book. At all times trying to ignore people trying to offer assistance.
    GOOD LUCK!

Option 2:
    There are however "runners/agents/fixers", whatever you want to call them, that can help with the process for a fee (negotiated of course). This may be controversial, but I quickly decided that this was the best course of action for 2 reasons: 1. the place really is a maze and missing a step can cost you down the road at a road block, 2. the "official" runners all have lanyards around their necks with ID cards attached identifying themselves as border assistants. Ask the nearest ferry driver or government employee to tell you which of the bunch haggling by your window is the one to pick, and go with them. They will walk you from office to office, official to official, log book to log book and definitely make the process smoother, especially for a first timer to this border, and possibly even more so if it is busy. Normal rules apply regarding keeping track of you possessions (Passports, vehicle documents etc) and expect a bit of haggling and potentially some misinformation (from them, not the officials), so know the fees ahead of time, see attached the official paper handed out at Zambian Customs to travellers with all the current fees to pay.
    Ended up using an agent by the name of Berry who approached on the Bots side offering 3rd-party insurance assistance. His initial 3rd-party price was 50 Kwacha above the normal 30day 3rd-party rate (162 ZMK), but when questioned he agreed his sums were wrong and from there on out was straight as an arrow.
    If you don't have Kwacha yet, they will possibly pay for all your Kwacha fees on your behalf (keep track of what they pay, you get the receipts). There is a bureau de change in the immigration building and outside the border gate next to the 3rd party insurance sales containers, current official rate 13ZMK:1USD. It being a Sunday, both of these were closed but there was a money changer on the road outside the Bureau de change, and Berry made sure to show us through the window of the official rate written on the wall inside the Bureau before we engaged with the street money changer.

With all the fees paid, paperwork issued (stapled together in a bundle for future road blocks and toll gates), log books filled and passports stamped we proceeded out of the gate where we procured 30 days of 3rd party insurance with Berry's preferred company (GENERAL ALLIANCE INSURANCE ZAMBIA) for 162 ZMK, which was then stuck to the inside of the windscreen.
    We then changed USD with the street agent (use you own calculator, and have a travelling colleague double check your working and recount the money, if possible). With USD changed for Kwacha we refunded Berry his Kwacha outlay, offered him 50ZMK for his services which he agreed without protest then rounded up to the nearest 50ZMK, so all in the runner cost around 78 ZMK, well worth it.

EXTRA NOTE:
    If you make use of the Zambian Ferry (we did going South at a later date), note that you pay at the Zambian Ferry offices located on the Zambian side of the border and show the ferry master the receipt before boarding (preferably pay in Kwacha, all other currencies make it more expensive). It was 150ZMK for the Subaru, but I think Land Cruisers and the like pay 200ZMK. The question that kept getting asked by the ferry operators was "how many seats does this car have". My best guess to the reasons for this question was that Fortuners/Prados/Discos/Cruisers and the like all have capacity for a third row of seats, a Forester does not. No idea how they would charge for a Wrangler or Jimny.

Hope this helps someone entering Zambia at Kazangula.
    Remember the bridge is well on it's way to completion (2020 I think), so any guess how long this info will be relevant.

MAX SPEED LIMIT IN ZAMBIA IS 100KPH, seldom signposted, but it never goes higher than that, only lower, mostly without cancellation signage.
    3M red and white reflective tape strips for your bumpers are required (6cm length each), MIDAS sells the tape by the meter at around R30/metre.
    Approach all road blocks with hazards flashing (to prove your car has working hazard lights, amongst other safety reasons).
    The Mazabuka to Lusaka stretch of main road (Livingstone to Lusaka road), has potholes the size of bathtubes, do not recommend driving at night and if it looks like a pothole, SLOW DOWN! The rest of the main road infrastructure in the South is pretty good.

Cheers
    WillH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kazangula Ferry Zambia Jun2019.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	530503   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ZambiaKazangulaBorderFeesJune2019.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	138.5 KB 
ID:	530504  

20. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to WillH For This Useful Post:

WillH, Thanks for this. It is now the first time I hear Interpol is also at Kazangula and require the Stolen Vehicle Certificate. We plan to enter at Vic Falls and then out again at Kariba and into Zambia again at Chirundu, because of the fuel uncertainty and the poor Binga -Kariba road.
    I have the Certificate and wonder what will happen at Vic Falls and Chirundu. According to Tooi there is an insurance scam going at Katima. I will look for General Alliance or Phoenix at Vic Falls.

Related to Crossing borders into Zambia, here's my recent experience at Kazangula.

We went from Bots to Zambia on a Sunday around 11am, it was not very busy by my personal "busy border" standards.

Driving through with a Subaru Forester GP/RSA licensed and registered/fully-paid in my name. South African Passport holders in the vehicle.

On the Botswana side we went though immigration and then customs:
    At the customs counter we were issued with a TEP (Temporary export permit). My understating is this was necessary because we had paid for a multi-entry vehicle permit for Botswana at Martins Drift. We handed back the TEP when we re-entered Botswana later on in the trip.
    (Earlier in the week, Kwa Nokeng Lodge had pre-sorted out the Bots Customs papers at Martins Drift and made life just a little easier at that border http://www.kwanokeng.com/vehicle-permit/ ).
    NO CHARGES on the Bots side of Kazangula for exiting.

We took the Botswana ferry as it was the next one to depart. Paid cash Pula to the Boatmaster on the Ferry, given a receipt. Initially the expected price was 200Pula, but then he decide the Subaru was not a Landcruiser and charged only 150Pula (Sedan rate I think?).

Zambian Side:
    We were carrying USD, Pula and Rand. But could not get Kwacha until arrival in Zambia (no Bureau de change in Bots cared for the Kwacha).
    So we needed:
    1. To change Money
    2. Go through Immigration (RSA passports, no charge)
    3. Buy 3rd Party Insurance for the vehicle (Kwacha)
    4. Visit Interpol for the vehicle (no charge, needed RC1 & Police Clearance/Stolen status paperwork, see previous posts in this thread)
    5. Acquire TIP for the vehicle(Temporary Import Permit, no charge)
    6. Pay Carbon Tax for the vehicle (Kwacha)
    7. Pay Council Levy for the vehicle (Kwacha)
    8. Pay Toll Fees for the vehicle (US Dollars)

Now I'd done my best to work out the sums and locations of all these offices/services ahead of time, but if you have not done this particular border dance before it is a maze of offices both informal and formal.

Option 1 is to try and do it all yourself:
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...03#post3212603
    https://www.zambiatourism.com/media/Border-crossing.pdf
    I have also attached my best aerial view of the border layout to try better orientate the uninitiated, but it is a place with lots of badly placed counters. Sometimes you go around the building, sometimes through it, sometimes out at the Entrance and in at the Exit, trying to get to the next counter/office/log book. At all times trying to ignore people trying to offer assistance.
    GOOD LUCK!

Option 2:
    There are however "runners/agents/fixers", whatever you want to call them, that can help with the process for a fee (negotiated of course). This may be controversial, but I quickly decided that this was the best course of action for 2 reasons: 1. the place really is a maze and missing a step can cost you down the road at a road block, 2. the "official" runners all have lanyards around their necks with ID cards attached identifying themselves as border assistants. Ask the nearest ferry driver or government employee to tell you which of the bunch haggling by your window is the one to pick, and go with them. They will walk you from office to office, official to official, log book to log book and definitely make the process smoother, especially for a first timer to this border, and possibly even more so if it is busy. Normal rules apply regarding keeping track of you possessions (Passports, vehicle documents etc) and expect a bit of haggling and potentially some misinformation (from them, not the officials), so know the fees ahead of time, see attached the official paper handed out at Zambian Customs to travellers with all the current fees to pay.
    Ended up using an agent by the name of Berry who approached on the Bots side offering 3rd-party insurance assistance. His initial 3rd-party price was 50 Kwacha above the normal 30day 3rd-party rate (162 ZMK), but when questioned he agreed his sums were wrong and from there on out was straight as an arrow.
    If you don't have Kwacha yet, they will possibly pay for all your Kwacha fees on your behalf (keep track of what they pay, you get the receipts). There is a bureau de change in the immigration building and outside the border gate next to the 3rd party insurance sales containers, current official rate 13ZMK:1USD. It being a Sunday, both of these were closed but there was a money changer on the road outside the Bureau de change, and Berry made sure to show us through the window of the official rate written on the wall inside the Bureau before we engaged with the street money changer.

With all the fees paid, paperwork issued (stapled together in a bundle for future road blocks and toll gates), log books filled and passports stamped we proceeded out of the gate where we procured 30 days of 3rd party insurance with Berry's preferred company (GENERAL ALLIANCE INSURANCE ZAMBIA) for 162 ZMK, which was then stuck to the inside of the windscreen.
    We then changed USD with the street agent (use you own calculator, and have a travelling colleague double check your working and recount the money, if possible). With USD changed for Kwacha we refunded Berry his Kwacha outlay, offered him 50ZMK for his services which he agreed without protest then rounded up to the nearest 50ZMK, so all in the runner cost around 78 ZMK, well worth it.

EXTRA NOTE:
    If you make use of the Zambian Ferry (we did going South at a later date), note that you pay at the Zambian Ferry offices located on the Zambian side of the border and show the ferry master the receipt before boarding (preferably pay in Kwacha, all other currencies make it more expensive). It was 150ZMK for the Subaru, but I think Land Cruisers and the like pay 200ZMK. The question that kept getting asked by the ferry operators was "how many seats does this car have". My best guess to the reasons for this question was that Fortuners/Prados/Discos/Cruisers and the like all have capacity for a third row of seats, a Forester does not. No idea how they would charge for a Wrangler or Jimny.

Hope this helps someone entering Zambia at Kazangula.
    Remember the bridge is well on it's way to completion (2020 I think), so any guess how long this info will be relevant.

MAX SPEED LIMIT IN ZAMBIA IS 100KPH, seldom signposted, but it never goes higher than that, only lower, mostly without cancellation signage.
    3M red and white reflective tape strips for your bumpers are required (6cm length each), MIDAS sells the tape by the meter at around R30/metre.
    Approach all road blocks with hazards flashing (to prove your car has working hazard lights, amongst other safety reasons).
    The Mazabuka to Lusaka stretch of main road (Livingstone to Lusaka road), has potholes the size of bathtubes, do not recommend driving at night and if it looks like a pothole, SLOW DOWN! The rest of the main road infrastructure in the South is pretty good.

Cheers
    WillH
    Hi thanks for the useful information. I am planning a trip from SA to the Victoria Falls, through Zambia route. I would like to find out about a few things if possible.
    1. Which boarder will be best to use
    2. What is expected at the specific boarder, Tips for not getting scammed for insurance etc.
    3. Which roads will be the best to drive on, Day and Night driving. Fuel availability and Road conditions etc.
    4. If possible could you recommend places for Accommodation in or areas close to the Vic falls
    5. Could you suggest any useful tips for the trip

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sent2 View Post
    Tips for not getting scammed for insurance etc.
    You can get your insurance online from Phoenix. Pay by card (not AMEX although they say they accept but I had problems) I used mastercard. You get an invoice with a temp disc by email. When you have crossed you go to the Phoenix office on the Zambia side at Kazungula or Livingstone and they give you the disc that you attach to your windscreen.
    Pete

ADVENTURE BEFORE DEMENTIA

2002 Mitsubishi Colt Rodeo 3.0

24. The Following User Says Thank You to petewill For This Useful Post:

Hi all , please put me on the right path here.Have just been to get police clearance and they say only need it if vehicle is financed ? If the vehicle is mine and registration papers in my name no need for clearance ? Is this true ?

Quote Originally Posted by patrick miller View Post
    Hi all , please put me on the right path here.Have just been to get police clearance and they say only need it if vehicle is financed ? If the vehicle is mine and registration papers in my name no need for clearance ? Is this true ?
    The police clearance paper is to show the 'interpol' agent at some of the border crossings the car is not stolen. They may be less fussy if it is your own car vs. financed/on loan, but it can still potentially be a point of contention with the 'interpol' if things are not just right and they are having a bad day.
    They have never said to me, 'oh it's your car, never mind the paperwork', better safe than sorry I say.

Maybe others have experience with Interpol & no clearance paper & own car.

Hope that helps, though I agree it's difficult if your local SAPS has their own mind about these things. Langlaagte has never given me issue about getting clearance for my own vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick miller View Post
    Not True.

I was held up at Chirundu for a couple of hours before I was finally allowed to go. My vehicle has never been financed. I had the normal SAPS Private Vehicle Verification document and my original Registration papers but I did not have the Interpol Not Stolen report.

Even if SAPS say you do not need it get them to give you both the above docs at the same time. Procedures for police clearance differ at different border posts. Some require the above docs all the time, some only sometimes and some never.
    Pete

ADVENTURE BEFORE DEMENTIA

2002 Mitsubishi Colt Rodeo 3.0