Wrangler 4dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 3.6 V6 - buying used for overlanding

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 3.6 V6 - buying used for overlanding

Good day.

I am considering replacing my Ranger with a petrol 4x4. Vehicle will be used as a daily drive as well as for holidays and over-landing. I drive about 10 to 20 km a day. Usual overlanding trips would entail 2 camping trips a year to places like Namibia, Botswana (Moremi, Savuti, Chobe), Kgalagadi and maybe Kaokoland or Zambia at some stage. I am also considering a Toyota FJ Cruiser, but is seems that for the same price or cheaper I can get a lower mileage Sahara model. Budget is around R300 k (give or take).

My questions are:
    1. Is it easy to fit a long range fuel tank or will the Jeep require a lift?
    2. How reliable are these vehicles for trips into Moremi? My Ranger dropped me in Moremi with transfer case motor issues and I would like not to have a repeat.
    3. I take it that parts won't be available in places like Maun, Botswana?
    4. What is considered high mileage for a 3.6 V6 model? Should I look at less than 100 000 km? Or should it be fine if I buy one with about 120 000 km? I do about 15 000 km per year and intend to keep if for about 10 years (or longer). This places the mileage close to 300 000 km. Are these engines good for 300 000 km or more?
    5. What are the known issues and what preventative maintenance can be done?
    6. Cost of services? I am in Pretoria so can take it to Bulli.

Thank you!
    Chris

Current - 2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser with some extras
    Ex - 2015 Ford Ranger XL Plus 4x4 D/C P/U RSI Canopy
    Ex - 2014 Suzuki Jimny - Amada Xtreme 40mm suspension upgrade and Eezi-awn k9 roofrack (sold )

Default Re: Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 3.6 V6 - buying used for overlanding

To be honest, I wouldn't overland in a Wrangler.

Just too many issues with modifications and spares and and and ......... and no decent roof rack.

Just buy a nice used Toyota LC105 or even LC80. Talk to Petri.
    Or get the FJ.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Long range tank is an easy fit. Runs in the chassis opposite the std tank. This can be purchased from frontrunner, as can the roof rack. Fitted a frontrunner rack to my 2door Rubicon. Although the rack can take the weight the vehicle didn't like the extra weight that high up. Had to stiffen springs as it would hit the bump stops to easily. I am unable to confirm this with regards to a 4door but there are plenty of people with them fitted

Front Runner Auxilary Fuel Tanks are for Diesel models, as I was told by Front Runner.
    Have installed a Maniac 65 l tank on my model. Works without lift.
    The Front Runner roof rack is in my opinion the very best for a Wrangler. No issues so far
    Here is further info on the Pentastar 3,6 l engine : https://www.pentastars.com/engines/tech.php
    See recall list : http://www.jeepproblems.com/

Known recalls to me :

O Ring on oilfilter housing leaking
    Thermostat Plastic Housing replacement
    Clock Spring replacement
    Air Bag recall

Slainte

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Slainte For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slainte View Post

Known recalls to me :

O Ring on oilfilter housing leaking
    Thermostat Plastic Housing replacement
    Clock Spring replacement
    Air Bag recall
    Crank Position Sensor Harness mod
    All early cylinder heads have a 240,000km warranty due to sand casting issues in Mexico.
    Percivamus

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mplester View Post
    Long range tank is an easy fit. Runs in the chassis opposite the std tank. This can be purchased from frontrunner, as can the roof rack. Fitted a frontrunner rack to my 2door Rubicon. Although the rack can take the weight the vehicle didn't like the extra weight that high up. Had to stiffen springs as it would hit the bump stops to easily. I am unable to confirm this with regards to a 4door but there are plenty of people with them fitted
    Agree, if you have weight on the roofrack you are going to hit the bumpstops. You need to beef up the suspension!

Agree....fully loaded roof rack plus auxiliary tank full of fuel will definitely require beefing up suspension.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrepb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    To be honest, I wouldn't overland in a Wrangler.

Just too many issues with modifications and spares and and and ......... and no decent roof rack.

Just buy a nice used Toyota LC105 or even LC80. Talk to Petri.
    Or get the FJ.
    Jelo,

So I take it that spares and service centres are not common in Botswana and Namibia?

The roof rack does not seem to be too much of an issue - Frontrunner makes a short one and long one for the Wrangler.
    Chris

Ex - 2014 Suzuki Jimny - Amada Xtreme 40mm suspension upgrade and Eezi-awn k9 roofrack (sold )

Quote Originally Posted by Ungie View Post
    Jelo,

So I take it that spares and service centres are not common in Botswana and Namibia?

The roof rack does not seem to be too much of an issue - Frontrunner makes a short one and long one for the Wrangler.
    One dealer in Gabs

One dealer in WH

And I don't like drilling holes in a removable top. It sort of makes, well, holes.
    Percivamus

One dealer in Gabs

One dealer in WH

And I don't like drilling holes in a removable top. It sort of makes, well, holes.
    Had same thoughts, but 4 years later fully happy, never a leak.
    In comparison to the wobbly US roof racks, which are supported down at the ladder frame or rear bumber, with a load of side play, sturdy, no wind noise. With the table and table slide underneath, perfect, I would buy another Front Runner rack.
    General, roof racks at the top of a car are not meant to be loaded with tons of stuff. Keep gravity down, close to ground.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Slainte For This Useful Post:

I had no leaking roof issues with both my JK Wrangler Jeeps.
    Regards
    HeinrichC

One of my bolt holes is leaking water onto rear seat.....time to use some silicone sealer. But yes, FR roof rack mounting method used on Wranglers is probably better than most other makes.

Some gutter mounted roof racks are really scary.

Question Re: Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 3.6 V6 - buying used for overlanding

Hi Gents.

I am still seriously considering the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I also spoke to Bulli (Andre) from Auto Technic in Silverton about potential issues, cost of services etc.

My next question:

What is the influence of the higher axle ratio of the Rubicon model with regards to open road cruising and fuel consumption?
    Chris

Attached is my fuel profile of our 2016 Jku Rubicon. Vehicle has a 2.5inch lift, running 33inch m/t tyres.
    We do a monthly get away with the 4x4 club and I tow an off road caravan with her also about once a month. These figures are an average of 50000kms

22. The Following User Says Thank You to mplester For This Useful Post:

H
    Hi Gents.

I am still seriously considering the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I also spoke to Bulli (Andre) from Auto Technic in Silverton about potential issues, cost of services etc.

My next question:

What is the influence of the higher axle ratio of the Rubicon model with regards to open road cruising and fuel consumption?
    According to Jeep they claim Rubicon 11.6 lt/100 and Sahara 11.3 lt/100

Reality is much higher in standard form..... My Sahara gets around 15lt/100 around town and 13.5lt/100 on highways at <120 kph. Once you add muds and other mods...consumption can go way up.

Personally don’t think fuel consumption (saving) should be your deciding factor in the final choice, rather end use.
    In my case I would have preferred a Rubicon but deal I got on my Sahara was just too good. Also after 6 years of ownership that not many places that I couldn’t do that a Rubicon could.

Have a great day.

As indicated, only between 0.5 and 2L/100km depending on driving style.

In fact, keep it under 120 on the open road and I doubt the difference would be significant.

Add a lift and larger rubber and you are no longer comparing apples with apples.

We get 12.5 in mixed driving, and around 11 on the open road @ 120 on our JKUS.
    Percivamus

As indicated, only between 0.5 and 2L/100km depending on driving style.

In fact, keep it under 120 on the open road and I doubt the difference would be significant.

Add a lift and larger rubber and you are no longer comparing apples with apples.

We get 12.5 in mixed driving, and around 11 on the open road @ 120 on our JKUS.
    That is impressive! Not bad going from my bakkie then. I seem to get 9-10 km/l and it does not matter what I do.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Andrepb View Post
    H

According to Jeep they claim Rubicon 11.6 lt/100 and Sahara 11.3 lt/100

Reality is much higher in standard form..... My Sahara gets around 15lt/100 around town and 13.5lt/100 on highways at <120 kph. Once you add muds and other mods...consumption can go way up.

Personally don’t think fuel consumption (saving) should be your deciding factor in the final choice, rather end use.
    In my case I would have preferred a Rubicon but deal I got on my Sahara was just too good. Also after 6 years of ownership that not many places that I couldn’t do that a Rubicon could.

Have a great day.
    Not super concern about consumption, else I would not be looking at a V6 petrol 4x4. My wife is just an extremely analytical person (and myself to an extent as well). She has the habit of expropriating our 4x4 and using it as a daily driver to such an extent that I only get to drive it over weekends and on holidays. She wants a cost benefit analysis of the Rubicon vs Sahara. I heard somewhere that the Sahara revs lower at highway speeds and was just interested to know whether there is a huge difference in consumption.
    Chris

Wrangler aerodynamics are pretty much non existent so higher speeds have exponential effect on consumption, also around town the “big” v6 is thirsty.

Although I will never part with my Wrangler, there are better choices if fuel consumption is important to you.

Have a great day.

PS....before pulling the trigger on a Wrangler.....make sure rear seat comfort is not a factor ( no rude comments, please Jelo ) .... my passengers really suffer on long trips.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast