VW Amarok 17" - HANKOOK or General Grabbers

Default VW Amarok 17" - HANKOOK or General Grabbers

Howzit guys

So I am looking at some new tekkies for my Rok. (Originals are 245/65/R17)

Would love a set of KO2 or Coopers but budget is a limiting factor. (+- R10k)
    I see tyres.co.za are advertising GG`s AT3 245/65/R17 for around R 2,229.00 per tyre fitted.
    https://www.tyres.co.za/collections/...abber-at3-111h

A contact reckons he can get me the HANKOOK dynapro atm for R2290 per tyre however this is a 265/70/R17. Sounds inviting but have not received a quote as requested twice.......... FFS

After doing some research on the Hankooks, it sounds like the feeling is very love/hate. Some people have had no issues & some people have had many punctures (Soft sidewall etc).

Research with the grabbers seems that they are fairly good with no real issues apart from 1 case where there was a complaint about road noise.

Usage for me would be about a 85/15-on/off road split however, the off is going to be Northen Cape-Namibia etc..

Any comments on this i.e. which would you guys choose for your Rok or bakkie?
    Have any of you used tyres.co.za before, how reliable are they?

Thanks

Default Re: VW Amarok 17" - HANKOOK or General Grabbers

Any reason you want to stick to the stock 245 size tire?

A colleague of mine has 265/70R17 on his 2.0BiTDI Auto, no complaints.

My cousin had 265/65R17 on his (ex) 2.0BiTDI Auto and now on his V6. Zero complaints.

If you get the 265/70 Hankooks for the same price as the 245/65 Grabbers, I'd definitely choose the Hankooks.

I personally have Hankooks on my Isuzu, also the 265/70R17 size.

JUST MAKE SURE it's the LT spec (i.e. 10 ply rated) tire. The cheaper ones don't seem to last long due to their lower load rating.
    8) Off-road: '14 Isuzu KB300 4x4
    On-road: '08 Audi A5 3.2 Quattro
    Toy: '98 Defender 90 TD5
    SOLD: '07 Audi A4 2.0 TDI
    SOLD: '02 Mitsu Colt V6 4x4
    SOLD: '04 Mazda RX-8
    SOLD: '97 Mitsu Pajero V6 GDi SWB

I have the previous version Grabbers in 265/65/17 on mine and I am very happy with it. Will replace with the same any day if I can. They did not come in LT spec when I bought, not sure if they do now in newer version, but haven't had any puncture issues despite travelling bad gravel roads regularly.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HannoK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by guido.e.koch View Post
    Any reason you want to stick to the stock 245 size tire?

A colleague of mine has 265/70R17 on his 2.0BiTDI Auto, no complaints.

My cousin had 265/65R17 on his (ex) 2.0BiTDI Auto and now on his V6. Zero complaints.

If you get the 265/70 Hankooks for the same price as the 245/65 Grabbers, I'd definitely choose the Hankooks.

I personally have Hankooks on my Isuzu, also the 265/70R17 size.

JUST MAKE SURE it's the LT spec (i.e. 10 ply rated) tire. The cheaper ones don't seem to last long due to their lower load rating.
    Thank you for the info.

I am not really stuck on the original size, the 265/70R17 does seem like a better option for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by HannoK View Post
    I have the previous version Grabbers in 265/65/17 on mine and I am very happy with it. Will replace with the same any day if I can. They did not come in LT spec when I bought, not sure if they do now in newer version, but haven't had any puncture issues despite travelling bad gravel roads regularly.
    I can say the same of the Grabbers on my Rok. Now on my second set. 3rd set coming up soon. Rok now on 212000 km. Only negative is that they are slightly noisy, but apparently the new generation Grabbers are better. No issues with punctures. Very good grip on wet paved surfaces. 90/10 split between paved and unpaved use.

Groetnis

Grabbers are great.

Does Goodyear make the Wrangler Kevlar in your size?? Also a VERY nice tyre
    Of COURSE I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three (Mick Jagger)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Beurvoort View Post
    I can say the same of the Grabbers on my Rok. Now on my second set. 3rd set coming up soon. Rok now on 212000 km. Only negative is that they are slightly noisy, but apparently the new generation Grabbers are better. No issues with punctures. Very good grip on wet paved surfaces. 90/10 split between paved and unpaved use.

Groetnis
    Thats great feedback, thank you. It seems to be the general feeling with all of the Grabber users.

I am waiting for a couple more quotes & then I will keep you posted on what I decide.

I did 155 000 km in my Hilux D/C on 2 sets of Hankook's around Namibia in 3 years. 50/50 tar to dirt. Off the dirt quite a bit was real off road. Never got a puncture.

Great tyres. About to put a set on my current Hilux. 265/65/17 ATM with 12 ply side wall. R8800.00 for 4 tyres and wheel alignment.
    Toyota Hilux 2.4 GD6 D/Cab 4x4

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caracal For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Beurvoort View Post

Groetnis

The new Grabber AT3's are surprisingly quiet, both my bakkie and SUV are wearing them.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Around 60K km on my Hankooks in 265/65R17. Running on standard Amarok mags. 80/20 on/offroad, with a couple of thousand loaded kilometers on bad gravel and a trail or two. No real issues, but two tread punctures caused by screws. Not fussed about those, as any tyre would have punctured. One minor sidewall cut, but no structural damage. The sidewalls are relatively soft though, so keep that in mind if you intend on using your vehicle in a trails environment.

I ran the Grabbers (criss-cross pattern) on my previous D4 and never had a day's problems. No punctures. Became quite fond of them and only bought the Hankooks because I received a brilliant deal. More recently I've put a set of Goodyears on our current D4 and they've been flawless so far. That said, they haven't seen much punishment. I still think the Goodyears present the best AT value at the moment.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dph For This Useful Post:

Thank you to everyone for your input on this.

I have managed to get a great deal on a set of 265/70R17 Grabber AT3`s @ R2130 each fitted.
    At that price I cant pass it up so I will be going for them.

Once again, thank you for all your input.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques Smith#113 View Post

I have managed to get a great deal on a set of 265/70R17 Grabber AT3`s @ R2130 each fitted.

Regards

Would you care to share where you got the Grabbers at that price please

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques Smith#113 View Post

Regards
    Just remember you need 5!
    Current:

2019 Tiguan Allspace 2.0TDI 4Motion DSG R-Line
    2019 Cross Up!
    2016 Metalian Maxi