FJ Cruiser Buying Advise - what is considered high mileage?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question FJ Cruiser Buying Advise - what is considered high mileage?

Good day,

As per previous thread in this sub-forum, I am looking at a reliable Toyota overland vehicle for about R300 000 (less or slightly more). I am seriously considering the FJ Cruiser but my budget only enables me to look at 2011 to 2012 models with lower kms. Newer models, with the factory fitter OEM long range tanks, usually have mileage approaching about 140 000 km to 150 000 km in my price range.

1. Will this mileage be considered acceptable? I do about 15 000 km a year and want to use the vehicle for a long time.
    2. What issues are there approaching 200 000 km and past that? I know of the water pump that needs to be replaced before 180 000 km. Anything else?
    3. Costs of services at the agents?
    4. Preventative maintenance items?

The Toyota sub-forum has been most helpful thus far!

Best Regards
    Chris

Current - 2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser with some extras
    Ex - 2015 Ford Ranger XL Plus 4x4 D/C P/U RSI Canopy
    Ex - 2014 Suzuki Jimny - Amada Xtreme 40mm suspension upgrade and Eezi-awn k9 roofrack (sold )

Default Re: FJ Cruiser Buying Advise - what is considered high mileage?

15000km x (a long time) = ?

300 000kms - ? = mileage vehicle should currently have

Good choice, the FJ. You essentially get LC Prado engineering for Fortuner money, or even less.

Since the FJ Cruisers in the age range you are looking at got the engine & gearbox from the Prado 150 and the suspension from the Prado 120, I wouldn't hesitate to buy an FJ with 150k km on the clock. Important to me would be a good service history, either at the agents or another trustworthy workshop.
    I would change gearbox-, transfer case- and diff oils. Approaching 200k km replace the water pump, as you mentioned.

Later 2013 models come with OEM aux tank and crawl control. Otherwise they are the same as the earlier models. An 85 l aux tank from e.g. Frontrunner costs about 10k installed.

If you find an FJ you like check the service history, testdrive it and if you still like it, take it home. They usually don't have hidden agendas.
    Last edited by HugoNotte; 2019/05/28 at 11:29 AM.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Basic maintenance and history is a must with every buy. Great car. Heavy on fuel. My Prado(2004) has got 326500km on and it is a seriously capable beast ready for the long road or any 4x4 track. Second water pump replace on 320000km. starts first thing, would not hesitate to buy one again or if the kids have left the house an FJ Go for it

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Malmoer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ocin View Post
    15000km x (a long time) = ?

300 000kms - ? = mileage vehicle should currently have
    A long time = 10 years.

So 300 000 km - 150 000 km = 150 000 km.

So these vehicles will be good for 300 000 km?
    Chris

Ex - 2014 Suzuki Jimny - Amada Xtreme 40mm suspension upgrade and Eezi-awn k9 roofrack (sold )

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Good choice, the FJ. You essentially get LC Prado engineering for Fortuner money, or even less.

Since the FJ Cruisers in the age range you are looking at got the engine & gearbox from the Prado 150 and the suspension from the Prado 120, I wouldn't hesitate to buy an FJ with 150k km on the clock. Important to me would be a good service history, either at the agents or another trustworthy workshop.
    I would change gearbox-, transfer case- and diff oils. Approaching 200k km replace the water pump, as you mentioned.

Later 2013 models come with OEM aux tank and crawl control. Otherwise they are the same as the earlier models. An 85 l aux tank from e.g. Frontrunner costs about 10k installed.

If you find an FJ you like check the service history, testdrive it and if you still like it, take it home. They usually don't have hidden agendas.
    Thank you. How does the long range fuel tank from Frontrunner work in terms of the fuel gauge and trip computer? Is it a gravity feed to the main tank?
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Ungie View Post
    A long time = 10 years.

So 300 000 km - 150 000 km = 150 000 km.

So these vehicles will be good for 300 000 km?
    Some will say more some will say less.
    I think you'll be very safe up to 300 000.

Thank you. How does the long range fuel tank from Frontrunner work in terms of the fuel gauge and trip computer? Is it a gravity feed to the main tank?
    I checked on the Frontrunner website - 100 l tank with gravity feed. R7 925 excluding fitment.
    Chris

The FJs that came without the OEM aux tank don't have a trip computer. The Frontrunner and most other aux tanks available for the FJ gravity feed into the main tank. There is only the fuel level sensor in the main tank, hence the fuel gauge only starts moving once the fuel level in the main tank decreases, which happens when there is still 1/3 - 1/4 left in the aux tank.
    When fitting an aux tank, makes sure there are NO paint particles or metal shavings left in there. The electric fuel pump of the FJ doesn't like that and might pack up within 5-10k km after fitment. I have fitted an inline filter between the aux and main tank. It does slow the fuel transfer a little, but I can live with that.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Safari Centre het my laas jaar R9,354 gevra all inclusive vir die 85L Frontrunner tenk.

Op DIE thread is 'n FJ wat 700,000km gedoen het sonder issues. Het tot nog die oorspronklike gearbox olie in.... Ek het gister die 130,000km diens laat doen met partial gearbox olie change. Op my post op daai thread het ek uitgewerk dat met die 10,000km wat ek per jaar doen (slegs 'n vakansie voertuig), ek 114 jaar oud gaan wees as myne 700,000km slaan....
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kooskop For This Useful Post:

150000km is young as long as it has a full service history.
    Full service history, drives well and a good price - wouldn't hesitate at the mileage

Does the FJ Cruiser have a trip computer showing stuff like Trip A and Trip B and calculated consumption? I took one for a test drive the other day and pushed the button on the instrument cluster but nothing happened/changed.
    Chris

There is no fuel consumption meter, I guess they left it out on purpose so it doesn't scare away potential buyers.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Greenhorn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    There is no fuel consumption meter, I guess they left it out on purpose so it doesn't scare away potential buyers.
    Does it at least show information such as trip distance A and trip distance B? Just not sure if it only shows the odometer of if there is something faulty on the specimen that I am considering to buy?
    Chris

Does it at least show information such as trip distance A and trip distance B? Just not sure if it only shows the odometer of if there is something faulty on the specimen that I am considering to buy?
    yes it does have trip A and trip B.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Armadillo For This Useful Post:

Question Re: FJ Cruiser Buying Advise - what is considered high mileage?

Another question slightly of topic. Regarding the 2013 models with the long range OEM fuel tank, what does the the fuel tank look like? Is it one long tank or still two separate ones? Most of the dealers that I have been to are quite clueless regarding the differences in models and can't tell me whether a specific 2013 model has got an OEM lonf range tank or not.
    Chris

Another question slightly of topic. Regarding the 2013 models with the long range OEM fuel tank, what does the the fuel tank look like? Is it one long tank or still two separate ones? Most of the dealers that I have been to are quite clueless regarding the differences in models and can't tell me whether a specific 2013 model has got an OEM lonf range tank or not.
    The OEM aux (82 litres) tank is similar to the Frontrunner and other aux tanks and is located behind the rear axle. But I believe the 2013 upgrades made it to the SA market rather late that year. A lot of FJs sold & registered in 2013 would still have the small 72 liter petrol tank.
    If I'm not mistaking, those later models with the larger fuel capacity also came with crawl control. The controls for the crawl control would be in a roof console. Hence, no roof console, no crawl control and no OEM aux tank.

Have a look here: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ml#post3570562
    Last edited by HugoNotte; 2019/06/01 at 12:54 PM.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

24. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    I can't help you with the shape of the fuel tank. But I believe the 2013 upgrades made it to the SA market rather late that year. A lot of FJs sold & registered in 2013 would still have the small 72 liter petrol tank.
    If I'm not mistaking, those later models with the larger fuel capacity also came with crawl control. The controls for the crawl control would be in a roof console. Hence, no roof console, no crawl control and no OEM aux tank.

That's correct.

So it would essentially be the same concept if I fit a Frontrunner long range tank.
    Chris

So it would essentially be the same concept if I fit a Frontrunner long range tank.
    Correct, I think the frontrunner may be a bit bigger then the OEM

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast