I cannot believe it...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I cannot believe it...

My wife has an old Nissan Sabre 160GX. The car is in a very, VERY good condition. It only has 145 000Km on the clock.

Anyway. I while ago, I replaced the discs, pads, tie-rod ends, ball joints, front wheel bearings and the right front CV.

Saturday, I walked past the car and noticed grease on the right front mag wheel. Got a flashlight and yup, CV boot perished (in less than 10 000Km - LAST time I install any part from Midas on any car).

So I phoned Nissan for a price on a CV Boot. I'd rather not say which dealership.

This was the conversation:
    Me "Can you help my with a price on a right front CV Boot for a '94 Sabre ,please?"

Nissan oke " [silence]... Uhhhh, sorry sir we only sell Nissan parts."

Me (very confused) "uhhhhh..... Sorry, do you WORK for Nissan?"

Nissan oke "Yes"

Me "OK, (speaking slowly) I need a CV Boot for a Sabre please, right front."

Nissan oke "Sir I have never heard of a Sabre before."

Me "WHAT?! IT IS A NISSSSSSSSS - SAN SABRE!!"

Nissan oke "Ummm No Sir I don't know that car"

Me "Dude, it's a Nissan Sentra with a hatchback and a boot spoiler"

Nissan oke "OK let me check"

Me "never mind."

This INFURIATES me. How can they NOT know a car that THEY SOLD and of which there were thousands of on our roads? Maybe the guy was 14 years old or something...
    André Jordaan

2016 Ford Ranger 2.2TDCI XL SuperCab 4X2

I've just done something, and I DON'T KNOW what it was!!!

Default Re: I cannot believe it...

Still need to know your product though. Same as builders, the people in the departments are just there to repack shelves, where as they should actually be able to give you sound advice on the department the oversee.

As frustrating as this can be I do believe that the "legal" requirement to support a product is 10 years... Not sure that is the legal case in South Africa but as far as I understand this is stipulated in the EU... A lot of OEM follow this guideline in their stock keeping systems. Thus there is a good change that this vehicle is not longer on any of their part systems

But yes, I feel your pain, but most likely due to the 10 year rule applied
    Last edited by Redman; 2019/05/27 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redman View Post
    As frustrating as this can be I do believe that the "legal" requirement to support a product is 10 years... Not sure that is the legal case in South Africa but as far as I understand this is stipulated in the EU... A lot of OEM follow this guideline in their stock keeping systems. Thus there is a good change that this vehicle is not longer on any of their part systems

But yes, I feel your pain, but most likely due to the 10 year rule applied
    Interesting, as I can still source just about any part for a 1988 citi golf from VW agents. I suppose the massive volume of them sold over many years, and still on the road makes it worth while to keep the parts in stock.

Groetnis

I think the person on the other side of the phone was probably born in 2000 and doesn't know all the historical Nissan models, but he/she could have handled it differently.
    Neil

6. The Following User Says Thank You to neoT For This Useful Post:

I had the exact same conversation with nissan about 10 years ago when enquiring about parts for a 200sx.

I once took my Pajero GLX for a service at a local agent. On collecting the car the Service MANAGER said he would collect the car and wanted to know which one. I said the dark grey Pajero GLX. His words "GLX? What is a GLX, I only know the GLS"

I didn't go back.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

Quote Originally Posted by Beurvoort View Post
    Interesting, as I can still source just about any part for a 1988 citi golf from VW agents. I suppose the massive volume of them sold over many years, and still on the road makes it worth while to keep the parts in stock.

Groetnis
    I also had the same for my 1988 Toyota Corolla.. Still sourced parts from OEM in 2010, 22 years later...

But that is purely a business decision from Toyota. Technically they don't have to.

I know there is a 10 year rule, will see if I can get more info on it

But yeah, rule or not, I know the frustration...

....and did you find a genuine Nissan CV boot?

Never had issues with Autoquip boots (brand Midas sells), maybe some damage with installation?
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

There may be a 10 year rule on cars, but it certainly doesn't apply to other things. I recently tried to find parts (a simple fan for the freezer) for an LG fridge/Freezer. I was told they stopped supporting any product 7 years after they stop the production and I could therefore not find a part (and the generic fan's don't work on this model). C
    If you ain't livin on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

I went into the hardware store (franchised outlet) and asked if they keep stainless steel nuts and bolts. The guy standing behind the counter wanted to know “what is stainless steel?”.
    Last edited by Diversions; 2019/05/27 at 02:48 PM.
    Gen 4 Pajero GLX 3.2 DiD
    Forum Radio Licence 1037

Typical Partquip. I had issues many years ago with ball joint rubbers perishing and allowing rubbish into joint and eating itself up in short order. Ball joints just did not last. Ate up ball joints at a rate of two sets on the trip down to Cape Town. They even got the national product manager to come visit me with his friend from Ironman to come prove my rig was outside of acceptable spec, which they could not. They refunded me all my money for about 3 sets I installed on my trip to the Cape and back.

CV boots are also just rubbish on the market these days. Our two Corsa's get new boots every 6 months because they are spewing grease all over the place. And we have tried a few different makes. I think it all comes from the same Chinese factory which thankfully do not make condoms.

Let us know if you find a brand that actually lasts. I'm at wits end with our front wheel drive cars. Lucky I changed my Sani so that it no longer uses CV boots.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

I couldn't get an original boot for the car, had to settle for a partsquip one. I have to say, it looks like a much better quality than the one that was on the car. If this one doesn't last I will try and get one from Nissan if possible
    André Jordaan

I suppose this is why having the VIN ready helps. The Sabre is a relatively rare car as well. Definitely don't see them as often as the Sentras, which are quite popular amongst the boy racer crowd.
    Last edited by El 4 Romeo; 2019/05/28 at 10:51 AM.

Time to visit the dealer with your sabre
    Attached Images Attached Images  

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jooste777 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by El 4 Romeo View Post
    I suppose this is why having the VIN ready helps. The Sabre is a relatively rare car as well. Definitely don't see them as often as the Sentras, which are quite popular amongst the boy racer crowd.
    I GAVE him my VIN. Still couldn't find anything.
    André Jordaan

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Clouder For This Useful Post:

They only started using VIN no's from a certain year. Some older vehicles they cannot find on the VIN number. My Corsa LDV has a Partquip CV boot on. I do about 900km's a week between Paarl and Kuils River and the vehicle gets used for collections for the business. No issues so far, but just under a year...
    1996 Discovery 1 (SOLD)
    2009 Corsa Utility 1.7Dti (Everyday drive)
    2001 Mercedes C180 (SOLD)
    2012 Nissan Xtrail 2.0 (Weekend Wagon)
    2010 Kia Sedona 2.9Crdi (Written off)

Quote Originally Posted by Clouder View Post
    I GAVE him my VIN. Still couldn't find anything.
    In that case it is quite possible that your vehicle isn't on the electronic parts system of the Nissan dealer network. A 1994 model would probably have featured on the microfiche parts catalogue, but those would have been retired probably 10 years ago.
    It then comes down to the individual dealerships whether or not they have kept the microfiches and reader in some dark corner.
    E.g. Toyota has got an online source for part numbers, not an official source, but it works for current and old Toyota models. Several years back in Windhoek I was told by a dealership they wouldn't be able to find any parts for my 1983 LC, since they chucked out all the microfiches.
    The Swakopmund dealership happily makes use of toyodiy.com and sources parts even from Japan.

Maybe there is a similar system for Nissan in place? Just try some other dealerships or other workshops that do work on Nissan vehicles. Hope you will come right in future.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

22. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

This reminds me of the time I was on the market for a bigger car. I had a Toyota 86 which I wanted to either trade in or sell on something bigger which actually had 4 seats.

More than once I asked the sales persons what trade they would give me for my "2012 Toyota 86"

The confused look said it all... "What is that?" Is it an 86 model? Which car?
    "No it's a TOYOTA 86 and a 2012 model. You know? The coupe..."
    "I'm sorry sir, could you show me the car? I have no idea what you are talking about"

For someone who earns his bread and butter in the automotive industry, some of them just don't have a clue but I guess it's relevant in a lot more industries these days.
    If Force is not the solution, not enough of it was applied....

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Pietsweis For This Useful Post:

The staff in some dealerships ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast