Trip advice: Kosi Bay to the top of Santa Maria

Default Trip advice: Kosi Bay to the top of Santa Maria

Hi all

Next month I am taking my Nissan X-Trail up to a beach lodge at the top of the Santa Maria peninsula (crossing the border at Kosi Bay). I have spent quite a bit of time online trying to gather reviews, maps and other information but there's nothing like first-hand experience!

By the way I found this link on the website of one of the lodges on Santa Maria to by far the best map I have found:
    http://www.nhoxani.com/Map%20of%20Ma...Jan%202019.pdf.

As you can imagine I have lots of questions.

For example it seems clear that we will hit deep sand on our way north through the Elephant Reserve so I will be dropping tyre pressure, but I'm not sure whether I need to buy my own compressor. Some first-hand, recent knowledge of the facilities at the South and West gates of the Reserve would be great; if I can simply deflate on my way in then reflate on my way out that would be ideal.

Also any preference between entering the Reserve through the West or South gates? The Mozambican map seems to suggest we will see more game coming in through the West (Futi) gate, and we get to on the Catembe road so might be quicker.

I have seen various references to the Moz police requiring you to carry triangles, reflective vests and a fire extinguisher...do you know what the latest version is?

In terms of carrying spare parts for the X-Trail, a fan belt seems to be recommended....anything else?

Anyway if anyone has been up there it would be great to get your thoughts, many thanks in advance.

Cheers guys

Default Re: Trip advice: Kosi Bay to the top of Santa Maria

Hi. Laurens here. I travel the road on a regular basis. You can contact me on cell /whatsapp +258843392910

I'm sure Numzaaan will give good advice but here some more. We have been to Bemugi's last year, which is at the point of Santa Maria. A few spots with thick sand but with tyres deflated and some momentum when needed, no problems for you. We entered the West gate which has a new shop and they have a compressor for inflating your tyres when coming out. If your vehicle is in good condition (e.g. belts) then I don't see any particular need for spares. It's not that remote or void of people that you can't get help if required. If not helped from the lodges in the area (which are usually well equipped for their own vehicle maintenance, etc.) it can be arranged via the lodges to get what you need from Maputu as they get at least once a week goods shipped from Maputo across the bay (we ordered a birthday cake from Maputu). The drive from the West gate will take at least 2.5 hours. Just in case you get the idea to take the boat trip to Inhaca island....we did it and was disappointed since the hotel closed and there is nothing going on there anymore...real waste of time and money. Otherwise enjoy the beautiful beaches, etc.

Hi there,

Will also be traveling to Bemugi's next week Sunday for two weeks and also have lots of questions regarding the road conditions stc

Will be travelling with my Jeep Rubicon (2 door) with 35 tires but will be towing a Ecko Chobe bush caravan. All in all I think I should be fine taking into consideration the Jeep is very capable, tires will be deflated accordingly and will include my compressor and recovery gear just in case.....

Any extra recommendations will be appreciated.

Thx in advance

Steven

Steven. No worries with the Jeep and the rig. Enjoy your time at Bemugi's as we did.

Thx, will do....

Dont be mislead I know those sand roads. Any 4x4 vehicle solo wont stuck. I will give you my 5 foot Venter and almost guarantee you will get stuck with pure luck you will survive. A vehicle with that weight behind you has no chance to go without being stuck, it might be your lucky day.Be prepared have your own pump,shovel and long towropes and a skottle skaar to recover your trailer. Enter through the main gate. The contractors demolished the bottom road.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bertus For This Useful Post:

The place Bemugi you are referring to, i can't find on the map.Is it a lodge or place to camp and near which town. Any contact numbers. thanks

Hi HarryWB Re your trip to Santa Maria/ Inhaca island. I received a message from you. Please make with on cell/WhatsApp +258843392910. Thank you Laurens

Quote Originally Posted by bertus View Post
    Dont be mislead I know those sand roads. Any 4x4 vehicle solo wont stuck. I will give you my 5 foot Venter and almost guarantee you will get stuck with pure luck you will survive. A vehicle with that weight behind you has no chance to go without being stuck, it might be your lucky day.Be prepared have your own pump,shovel and long towropes and a skottle skaar to recover your trailer. Enter through the main gate. The contractors demolished the bottom road.
    I will tow that trailer (Ecko Chobe and your Venter) there and back with my hilux on 30" tyres with no issues. The road is not that challenging... Steven your Rubicon will be more than fine with the correct pressures and driving savvy.
    If Force is not the solution, not enough of it was applied....

Hi guys,

Just returned from Bemugis, what an adventure trip, lekker sand driving. I had no issues with the Rubicon or trailer although the road was in a very bad condition (according to the locals). Mostly easy going but a few spots where the sand was very loose and deep with axle twisters so very difficult to keep momentum up under those conditions towing a relatively heavy bush caravan.

We encountered a couple of vehicles that were stuck (including a Hilux 4x4) but saying that it was a bit overloaded. Mitsubishi Outlander stuck on its belly with no chance of digging the vehicle out and a couple more. I was very lucky to pass on the side of the road past the poor souls that were stuck. Tried to help where I could but not viable to unhitch the Chobe as it is a mission getting it hooked up again in the loose sand.

It was very concerning to see how many people go unprepared on a journey such as this, no tow ropes, compressor or even water on hand?

I also own a Hilux 4x4 d/cab and there were two places where I would have struggled to get through without a front diff lock towing the Chobe ( and definately not adding the Venter as well?) I have done a fair amount of sand driving in my life and if you do not have a decent 4x4, do not tow anything on that road in the condition that I found it in. It started raining quite a lot after we came out so the conditions could have changed in the mean time.

Bemugis is a great destination and getting there is where all the fun is, will def go there again.

For the guys going in now the turn off from Kosi Bay border gate is exactly 40km on the right before the bridge on the new chinese highway, we missed it and did a 20km extra!

I will post a photo of our rig as soon as I can figure out how.

Steven

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to S J Kruger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by S J Kruger View Post
    Hi guys,

Just returned from Bemugis, what an adventure trip, lekker sand driving. I had no issues with the Rubicon or trailer although the road was in a very bad condition (according to the locals). Mostly easy going but a few spots where the sand was very loose and deep with axle twisters so very difficult to keep momentum up under those conditions towing a relatively heavy bush caravan.

We encountered a couple of vehicles that were stuck (including a Hilux 4x4) but saying that it was a bit overloaded. Mitsubishi Outlander stuck on its belly with no chance of digging the vehicle out and a couple more. I was very lucky to pass on the side of the road past the poor souls that were stuck. Tried to help where I could but not viable to unhitch the Chobe as it is a mission getting it hooked up again in the loose sand.

It was very concerning to see how many people go unprepared on a journey such as this, no tow ropes, compressor or even water on hand?

I also own a Hilux 4x4 d/cab and there were two places where I would have struggled to get through without a front diff lock towing the Chobe ( and definately not adding the Venter as well?) I have done a fair amount of sand driving in my life and if you do not have a decent 4x4, do not tow anything on that road in the condition that I found it in. It started raining quite a lot after we came out so the conditions could have changed in the mean time.

Bemugis is a great destination and getting there is where all the fun is, will def go there again.

For the guys going in now the turn off from Kosi Bay border gate is exactly 40km on the right before the bridge on the new chinese highway, we missed it and did a 20km extra!

I will post a photo of our rig as soon as I can figure out how.

Steven

Hey Steven,

Have you figured out the photos? You have us all very curious here
    Rob,

D4 SDV6 HSE ARB Bullbar, Compos, BFG 265/65R18s, Big Country drawers, National Luna 52L, Dometic 50L, Spare Wheel Carrier, Roof Rack, Hardshell RTT, FR 50" LED Bar, Lift Rods, Mantec Snorkel, C-TEK Dual batt system, 270 Ostrichwing, Maxtrax, TXG Rock Sliders, IIDtool, shelf

Hi,

My apologies, will post soon........

Steven

Hi, herewith photos as promised:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jeep 1.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	206.6 KB 
ID:	536083   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jeep 2.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	177.1 KB 
ID:	536084  

17. The Following User Says Thank You to S J Kruger For This Useful Post:

Nice pics 👍Glad to hear you found the road in fair condition and did not get stuck pulling such a heavy trailor. That road can be ok'ish at times (after rain / wet sand) and very hellish after all the Gautengers turned the sand to powder 😁
    I love Mozambique!

More pics please, not necessarily your rig, but of scenery, camp sites and roads, stuck vehicles
    Last edited by julius caesar; 2019/08/11 at 07:46 AM.
    Henk Pretorius D4 3,0 SDV6 HSE
    EX AFRICII SEMPER NOVUS

Begumis is awesome, definitely lots of places to get stuck, did it in my old Cayenne towing a camper... Once is enough for me haha