Hitch receiver

Thread: Hitch receiver

Default Hitch receiver

Has anyone used one of these? They seem to be pretty popular here in Australia.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Hitch receiver

I have and relatively successfully so, but with a HUGE caveat: Only straight pulls and no snatching!

Side pulls will bend the shackle pin (or worse) and a standard hitch receiver is simply not designed for the lateral forces a hard side pull will induce. Likewise a snatch - Accelerating a (2.5 ton) vehicle in under a second is well outside any tow hitch's design window.

Fine for mild off roading in a standard 4x4. For the more serious stuff and almost any mud, proper recovery points are a must.
    4 XJs, 2 TJs, 2 KJs, 2 WJs, 2 WKs, 1 XK

2010 JKU Rubicon

Some of the towbars go through to the next brace on the chassis, but quite often not. So just check the design of your towbar first.

I have extended mine to connect to 2 of the cross braces and I welded it to the chassis. And I still will not use that thing.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

What I do, is instead of carrying that extra piece of metal around with me, I just insert the strap loop into the hitch and put the pin through, if that makes sense.

So imagine that that piece of metal is your strap, stick it into the hole and put the pin in, Bob's your uncle

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D