Leaving South Africa

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Leaving South Africa

I've been thinking about it a lot lately. Why do everybody want to go to Britain, Australia, New Zealand and the other popular countries?

If I can move, I'll go to South America like Chile or Uruguay, or Canada or Slovakia or Fiji, even Zambia sounds nice. Is it all about the money or just soort soek soort, Afrikaners are looking for fellow Afrikaners?
    Last edited by JCMostert; 2019/05/24 at 01:49 PM.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.

That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Default Re: Leaving South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by JCMostert View Post
    I've been thinking about it a lot lately. Why do everybody want to go to Britain, Australia, New Zealand and the other popular countries?

If I can move, I'll go to South America like Chile or Uruguay, or Canada or Slovakia or Fiji, even Zambia sound nice. Is it all about the money or just soort soek soort, Afrikaners are looking for fellow Afrikaners?
    You will battle to find work in some of the countries you have mentioned.
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    You will battle to find work in some of the countries you have mentioned.
    What about Russia, or don't they take foreigners? Surely they must have some scarce skills shortage?
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.

That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

What about Russia, or don't they take foreigners? Surely they must have some scarce skills shortage?
    Russia is a very autocratic regime, I have this picture in my mind if you don't do what they say, you will end up digging your own grave - literally.
    Sent from my iPhone

The reason is language. We go to English speaking countries because we can't speak Spanish or Russian.

C
    If you ain't livin on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

I've got a long list of where I would want to go, but that is unfortunately not the part that will dictate where you go...

All comes down to were the work in your field is.

I would love to return to the USA... Loved my year in the states, but I will struggle a bit to get in at the moment...

That being said, if I would like to, Sweden, UAE (Dubai), Belgium and Singapore are viable options, with work not being a problem (within my current company and field).

But here is my 2c about leaving SA... If you are leaving, just for the sake of getting out, you are setting yourself up for failure... I will leave once I cannot progress anymore in my current position as well as in the economy. I will leave for something better elsewhere, rather than getting away from something worse here (if it makes sense)... Let's see how it play out
    Last edited by Redman; 2019/05/24 at 01:58 PM. Reason: more context

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Redman For This Useful Post:

nevermind the langauge, we don't even understand their alphabet

If I can move, I'll go to South America like Chile or Uruguay, or Canada or Slovakia or Fiji, even Zambia sounds nice. Is it all about the money or just soort soek soort, Afrikaners are looking for fellow Afrikaners?
    In my opinion there are 3 major reasons. But before I get into them, let me start by saying South Africans only make up a very small portion of immigrants in these countries. Australia, Canada and New Zealand are very choice destinations for immigration from all over the World.

The first reason is they are nice places to live. They are stable, developed, provide a great quality of life and have great opportunities in general.

The second is ability to get permanent visas. Moving to anywhere in Europe is pretty difficult for anyone with the wrong passport ( ie a password from the developing world). It is possible but requires sponsorship and often means being tied to your company. Australia, Canada and New Zealand all allow skilled people to apply through a points based system for permanent residence visas. This allows full access to many of the fantastic public services and as such is incredibly attractive.

The third reason with regards to Australia and New Zealand is language and weather (at least for South Africans). The lifestyle is fairly similar and this makes the transition to a different country easier.

As a slight aside, people tend to move from developing countries to developed countries hence why South America and other African countries are not that popular.
    Last edited by Duggen; 2019/05/24 at 02:14 PM.

Go and Google, countries with the highest quality of life, or best countries to live in, the lists you will see tend to be pretty similar and fairly obviously are also some of the most popular to move to. The reason are pretty clear.
    Last edited by Duggen; 2019/05/24 at 02:22 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Duggen For This Useful Post:

There's tons of work for me in the USA, in my specific AS400/iSeries/System I programming field. Have just not gone through the trouble to see what is involved to go there,but from the little I've picked up it's not an easy or cheap(relatively speaking) task.

I find it strange that nobody has mentioned Netherlands.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Greenhorn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    I would love to live in the Netherlands, unfortunately with a South African passport it is incredibly difficult.

Extremely difficult /nearly impossible to get in.
    Sent from my iPhone

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Rebel 4x4 For This Useful Post:

I recommend Eswatini ( Formally Swaziland) best kept secret in Southern africa IMO - to live with family.

Came here in 2014 on a two year contract, still here like every other ex SA person I've met.

Pro's: Its a like SA, same shops and banks. Same currency. Peaceful and safe. Outdoors living, great international schools albeit private and pricy, but opportunity to get scholarships to ivy league schools in US. Quite a number of expat South Africans- most from KZN origin and even a NG church in Manzini. Plenty of 4x4ing, fresh water fishing, dirt biking, etc. 3 hours away from the beach in Ponta's in Moz. Police have lots of respect and are very professional and courteous and basic law such as jaywalk are enforced.

Very small diverse professional community - everyone know everyone and their beeswax- ( but are polite and respectful of privacy)

Cons; Can get boring. But Nelspruit is 2h30 or JHB 4 hours away for a weekend away shopping ( on the plus you drive the most scenic parts of SA) Once a month trip out to SA is obligatory to go to places like makro, sportsmans warehouse etc. If you drive a VW and need an agent, Ermelo is 2 hour drive. Internet is expensive and fibre speeds are only starting now.

Biggest con is that Eswatini is 80% reliant on SA- so if SA goes pear shaped life will get tough here too.

Biggest pro- you can live the same lifestyle as you did in SA with 100% less stress and 100% more safe- crime is petty theft. Perpetrators are often caught and turn out to be from SA or Moz

Violent crime happens but is usually feuds between families or clans in the rural areas or dagga growing related in the piggs peak area.

2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

19. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Karol For This Useful Post:

Did you hear the sea is going to rise considerably these coming years because of the global heating effect.
    Pajero GLS Exceed 2014 LWB &
    Jeep Cherokee 2001 2.5 Diesel, Gone to Jeep Heaven
    Toyota Hilux, plaas bakkie
    Platkar Swambo's MB

Quote Originally Posted by Karol View Post
    I recommend Eswatini ( Formally Swaziland) best kept secret in Southern africa IMO - to live with family.

Came here in 2014 on a two year contract, still here like every other ex SA person I've met.

Pro's: Its a like SA, same shops and banks. Same currency. Peaceful and safe. Outdoors living, great international schools albeit private and pricy, but opportunity to get scholarships to ivy league schools in US. Quite a number of expat South Africans- most from KZN origin and even a NG church in Manzini. Plenty of 4x4ing, fresh water fishing, dirt biking, etc. 3 hours away from the beach in Ponta's in Moz. Police have lots of respect and are very professional and courteous and basic law such as jaywalk are enforced.

Very small diverse professional community - everyone know everyone and their beeswax- ( but are polite and respectful of privacy)

Cons; Can get boring. But Nelspruit is 2h30 or JHB 4 hours away for a weekend away shopping ( on the plus you drive the most scenic parts of SA) Once a month trip out to SA is obligatory to go to places like makro, sportsmans warehouse etc. If you drive a VW and need an agent, Ermelo is 2 hour drive. Internet is expensive and fibre speeds are only starting now.

Biggest con is that Eswatini is 80% reliant on SA- so if SA goes pear shaped life will get tough here too.

Biggest pro- you can live the same lifestyle as you did in SA with 100% less stress and 100% more safe- crime is petty theft. Perpetrators are often caught and turn out to be from SA or Moz

Violent crime happens but is usually feuds between families or clans in the rural areas or dagga growing related in the piggs peak area.
    Are foreigners allowed to own property outright or do they work on a lease system?
    Pajero 4 LWB
    The most important thing to do if you find yourself in a hole is to stop digging (Warren Buffet)

There are other countries in Africa which are quite vibrant young democracies (not one party states like SA) and the weather is more amenable, the people are friendly and free from prejudice .

The SADC countries, Tanzania, Kenya and possibly more .

Much more exciting than being in a box somewhere in Europe, making up the numbers ...

23. The Following User Says Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Duggen View Post
    I would love to live in the Netherlands, unfortunately with a South African passport it is incredibly difficult.
    Unless you have the right qualifications. Know of two CA's, an actuary and a chemical engineer working there.

Bostoe

Quote Originally Posted by bostoe View Post
    Unless you have the right qualifications. Know of two CA's, an actuary and a chemical engineer working there.

Bostoe
    Getting a job in the EU is tough. Its possible, but tough, essentially a company needs to show they were unable to find a suitable candidate in the EU before sponsoring a visa. On top of that you are tied to your company. If you loose your job you loose your visa. Imagine you don't enjoy your office environment but can't leave because it means leaving the country. The transition to permanent residence is also a long process (I don't know the exact number for the Netherlands but it is a good few years).

Once again, it is possible. I also have friends living there. It is however very difficult to get a visa to EU countries with a South African passport.
    Last edited by Duggen; 2019/05/24 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    There are other countries in Africa which are quite vibrant young democracies (not one party states like SA) and the weather is more amenable, the people are friendly and free from prejudice .

The SADC countries, Tanzania, Kenya and possibly more .

Much more exciting than being in a box somewhere in Europe, making up the numbers ...
    How is staying in Malawi?
    Pajero GLS Exceed 2014 LWB &
    Jeep Cherokee 2001 2.5 Diesel, Gone to Jeep Heaven
    Toyota Hilux, plaas bakkie
    Platkar Swambo's MB

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast