Today I like my Hilux even more

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Today I like my Hilux even more

Took delivery of my new GD-6 auto 4x4 on 30 Apr, installed the canopy with 150W solar panel on top, aux batt, WRND and NL 90L twin same evening, ready to leave the next morning 3am for the Southcoast.

In OEM form it was just too low and I don’t like 18” wheels. So today it received a new set of A-line rims, 265/70/17 BF’s and a bit of a lift.

Before and after pics
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A2FB14BF-58A8-4DBF-9ADB-BE4AF716506B.jpg 
Views:	823 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	529152

Name:	158FC764-A1BF-4821-9A27-096E306BDA8A.jpg 
Views:	1064 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	529153
    Ek laaik my trok kwaai
    Last edited by DCTheron; 2019/05/23 at 08:18 PM.
    Dirk Theron
    Land Cruiser FJ
    Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4
    BL865 Ratel4
    Life’s a journey, enjoy the ride

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DCTheron For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Today I like my Hilux even more

Looking very nice
    Robbie
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Robbief For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DCTheron View Post
    Took delivery of my new GD-6 auto 4x4 on 30 Apr, mounted the canopy, aux batt, WRND and NL 90L twin same evening, ready to leave the next morning 3am for the Southcoast.

In OEM form it was just too low and I don’t like 18” wheels. So today it received a new set of A-line rims, 265/70/17 BF’s and a bit of a lift.

Before and after pics

Name:	A2FB14BF-58A8-4DBF-9ADB-BE4AF716506B.jpg 
Views:	823 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	529152

Name:	158FC764-A1BF-4821-9A27-096E306BDA8A.jpg 
Views:	1064 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	529153
    Ek laaik my trok kwaai
    Lyk baie mooi! Geniet hom.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cornel1610 For This Useful Post:

Baie netjies! Geniet hom!
    Toyota RAV4
    Chevrolet Utility

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Duka For This Useful Post:

Looking good! What canopy and lift kit?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Recovery For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Recovery View Post
    Looking good! What canopy and lift kit?
    Check out Ground Zero canopies, I was pleasantly surprised at their service, the product quality as well as price. I bought their top of the range one for R20k, around R6k less than a Rhino for instance. It is all ally. Extremely happy with my purchase, plus it has a flat roof, thus mounting my 150W panel on top was a breeze.

I am very much still undecided about what to add and conscious of adding weight, hence will only later decide on the right suspension setup. At this time a budget lift, spacer and longer shackles.

I will install a winch, and this is where I need to decide if I’ll go for a replacement bumper or just a winch bracket behind the OEM bumper. Aux tank for sure. Rear bumper very likely not and I hate a swingarm.
    Dirk Theron
    Land Cruiser FJ
    Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4
    BL865 Ratel4

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DCTheron For This Useful Post:

Thanks for info. It looks fantastic. For what it’s worth, I recently did a guided desert tour from Lüderitz to Walvisbay. The tour guides had 2.8 lt hiluxes. Addyitions were extra tank and iron man lift kits. They drove over those dunes with ease!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Recovery For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Recovery View Post
    Thanks for info. It looks fantastic. For what it’s worth, I recently did a guided desert tour from Lüderitz to Walvisbay. The tour guides had 2.8 lt hiluxes. Addyitions were extra tank and iron man lift kits. They drove over those dunes with ease!
    Were they on standard wheels and tyres?

Very nice rig...wish you many safe miles in that bakkie.
    Just a question, why is it that people (not only you) are fixated by placing the solar panel on the top of the roof of the canopy?
    When you go camping ...you will obviously be looking for shade, which renders the solar panel's usage at zero.
    Is it not better to have it loose with a lead which allows you to park under a tree and the solar panel can be placed and moved as the sun moves?
    I see the same with people fix it on the roof of their caravans??
    Is it just me thinking this way or am I missing something?
    Just a thought.
    Jannie Engelbrecht

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jannie Engelbrecht For This Useful Post:

Just a quick question. Does these mods in anyway affect the factory warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by Jannie Engelbrecht View Post
    Very nice rig...wish you many safe miles in that bakkie.
    Just a question, why is it that people (not only you) are fixated by placing the solar panel on the top of the roof of the canopy?
    When you go camping ...you will obviously be looking for shade, which renders the solar panel's usage at zero.
    Is it not better to have it loose with a lead which allows you to park under a tree and the solar panel can be placed and moved as the sun moves?
    I see the same with people fix it on the roof of their caravans??
    Is it just me thinking this way or am I missing something?
    Just a thought.
    Hello and thank you Jannie, I hope this car will be with me for many years to come and provide many happy memories and safe miles.

I agree, a permanent installation of the roof has it's limitations.

I have found the top of canopy installation extremely handy, from a transport perspective as well as functional perspective, wherever I travel in sunny conditions the panel charges the aux battery and I do not worry about it taking up space in the canopy itself. The only time I cart extra panels around is if I'm on an extended trip without 220V and tow the caravan along. I then make use of my 2x80W sandwiched set and I have two 20m extension leads. The caravan also has a 150W panel on the roof and the extra panels is normally only used to top up the aux in the caravan (which will be in shade preferably).

What I did is do a "semi-permanent" installation of the panel on the roof, it is held in place by 4 patio door locks and connect via a BH plug, meaning I can remove the panel within a minute and place it in the sun should the need arise. Perhaps not the most elegant method used, but very functional for me.

Some pics to show the install and yesterday at Rietvlei Nature Reserve enjoying the new bakkie

Name:	IMG_1784.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	529413

Name:	IMG_1785.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	529414

Name:	IMG_1780.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	529415
    Dirk Theron
    Land Cruiser FJ
    Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4
    BL865 Ratel4

20. The Following User Says Thank You to DCTheron For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SAID View Post
    Just a quick question. Does these mods in anyway affect the factory warranty?
    I do not have the correct answer, for me it depends on where you service the vehicle. I should not have an issue where I service as I know the service manager well enough.
    Dirk Theron
    Land Cruiser FJ
    Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4
    BL865 Ratel4

Hello and thank you Jannie, I hope this car will be with me for many years to come and provide many happy memories and safe miles.

I agree, a permanent installation of the roof has it's limitations.

I have found the top of canopy installation extremely handy, from a transport perspective as well as functional perspective, wherever I travel in sunny conditions the panel charges the aux battery and I do not worry about it taking up space in the canopy itself. The only time I cart extra panels around is if I'm on an extended trip without 220V and tow the caravan along. I then make use of my 2x80W sandwiched set and I have two 20m extension leads. The caravan also has a 150W panel on the roof and the extra panels is normally only used to top up the aux in the caravan (which will be in shade preferably).

What I did is do a "semi-permanent" installation of the panel on the roof, it is held in place by 4 patio door locks and connect via a BH plug, meaning I can remove the panel within a minute and place it in the sun should the need arise. Perhaps not the most elegant method used, but very functional for me.

Some pics to show the install and yesterday at Rietvlei Nature Reserve enjoying the new bakkie

Name:	IMG_1784.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	529413

Name:	IMG_1785.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	529414

Name:	IMG_1780.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	529415
    Ok , so it is semi-permanent and you can remove it..if need be. This makes sense to me. No problem with your installation.
    Keep it country...safe travels.
    Jannie Engelbrecht

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Jannie Engelbrecht For This Useful Post:

Ok so it’s time for an update, month 9 of ownership has seen a fair bit of action. I am super chuffed by the deal and service I received from Rudi.

The load carrying capability of the OEM suspension, even with the extended shackles (not that it alters the stiffness at all) was becoming an issue when the Hilux and the Ratel is loaded in preparation for a longer than a week type trip. We plan a CKGR trip in June and I want to be super prepared.

Thus, the first set of additions were a full set of OME’s and an Exel 65L aux fuel tank. The specs were discussed and agreed with Rudi and installed. I opted for +300kg blades at the back due to the additional weight of the canopy with 150W solar panel on top, 150AH Lead Crystal battery, 90L NL Twin and the aux tank. I also opted for the OME sport shocks at the back, it provides better stability especially when towing.

In the mean time I made use of Black Friday’s 20% discount and bought from Wildog front and rear replacement bumpers plus a bash plate. These I could only collect on Thursday and again Rudi came to the party and did a great install yesterday. Included in the overall install was my fairly new and unused Ironman 12LB winch with plasma rope. I also opted for a set of LED driving lights.

A bit of a heartbeat stop moment when Rudi called and said “are you sure this is the front bumper you ordered”, as it was completely wrapped. Turned out I made the mistake in the communications with Wildog and ordered the Hunter bar instead of the normal Rhino-lookalike one. Any case, checked the website and my order and so be it, I now have a bar which is a little bit more “butch/manly” and requested Rudi to continue. It is growing on me thought and I like the fact that it provides extra protection to the headlights.

The only thing with the Hunter bar is it is a fairly slimline bar and fits snug against the vehicle, very unlike an ARB for instance which protrudes way more. The downfall is it lacks a broad mounting base for spots. We opted for the round bar brackets at this time, however I will be able to manufacture an angle bracket to mount the spots directly onto the bar.Next may be of interest to some.

Measurements taken from bottom of rim where applicable and fuel tanks fairly empty. Three sets of measurements taken, after the spacer and extended shackle, after the OME’s and aux tank, and finally when the bumpers and winch were added, aka the final build (I hope). When filling up the measurements at the rear wheels drop by 10mm. I’m not inclined to add a snorkel and rocksliders may be added should I stuff up the OME flimsy steps. Enough money spent already.

Observations:
    1. The drive immediately improved with the OME’s in, absolutely no doubt a better ride overall.
    2. The approach and departure angles are way better, especially at the rear where the OEM bumper with aftermarket towbar is really low. I accept it will probably have a negative effect on fuel consumption. Whatever, fill it up if it’s empty.
    3. Underbody clearance (breakover angle) also saw a great improvement.
    4. The combined weight of the OEM rear bumper and aftermarket towbar is quite a bit heavier than the replacement Wildog bumper.
    5. The towbar is now 100mm higher, I’ll require a drop plate for the Ratel.
    6. The additional 65L makes a huge difference in range without the hassle of jerries. In my opinion Exel is the best local manufactured tank, it is my 4th.

Below a few pics as it stands now, the measurements and the specs on the spots.

Name:	3A67931D-6698-44DB-B62D-0F726806310A.jpeg 
Views:	330 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	555631Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4397F110-E0CB-4C20-B06F-A17EFF4EF3D3.jpeg 
Views:	323 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	555632Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1B5149F0-86EC-41A5-B4D7-17A78EEEE27F.jpeg 
Views:	229 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	555633Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14919C6C-0A7A-48C1-8562-13DC6F32731E.jpeg 
Views:	276 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	555634Click image for larger version. 

Name:	333BAFEE-CAAA-4F78-A6B4-6F1BC793D388.jpeg 
Views:	222 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	555635Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0CA8BB91-5949-4DB8-9184-AF98E2C7164C.jpeg 
Views:	174 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	555636Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19FEEB31-9269-48E2-B0D0-E517B1D55D7B.jpeg 
Views:	171 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	555637Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E6CF21CE-2028-4CB5-983F-D7A98099FB56.png 
Views:	239 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	555638
    Last edited by DCTheron; 2020/01/25 at 02:06 PM.
    Dirk Theron
    Land Cruiser FJ
    Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4
    BL865 Ratel4

Did I mention I just love my truck.....
    Last edited by DCTheron; 2020/01/25 at 02:05 PM.
    Dirk Theron
    Land Cruiser FJ
    Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4
    BL865 Ratel4

That bullbar looks really good!!!!
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Fantastic Vehicle

Thanks Guys

The most impressive and enjoyable mod is not mentioned, Dastek spoiled the Hilux with a De Graaf 76mm zost from the turbo and torque converter lockup from 80Km/h, huge difference!!!

Apart from the “smile” gain I also benefit w.r.t. fuel consumption, estimate ~1.5 Km/L better off, with towing a major difference. I frequently get 8.4Km/L towing the hefty Ratel. And seemingly it is lighter on juice at GPS 123 than 110. Yeah I know it is too fast, checking the differences.
    Dirk Theron
    Land Cruiser FJ
    Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4
    BL865 Ratel4

looks awesome...

2000 Ford Courier DC 2.5TD 4x4
    2009 Fiat 500
    2001 Merc C200K
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 manual

Thanks Guys

The most impressive and enjoyable mod is not mentioned, Dastek spoiled the Hilux with a De Graaf 76mm zost from the turbo and torque converter lockup from 80Km/h, huge difference!!!

Apart from the “smile” gain I also benefit w.r.t. fuel consumption, estimate ~1.5 Km/L better off, with towing a major difference. I frequently get 8.4Km/L towing the hefty Ratel. And seemingly it is lighter on juice at GPS 123 than 110. Yeah I know it is too fast, checking the differences.
    Where did you get the torque converter lockup? Mine has been chipped from new and I'm actually rather annoyed with the auto box.
    '18 Hilux 2.8 Auto 4wd
    '19 Fortuner 2.8 Auto 4wd

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast