Mamba bite

Thread: Mamba bite

Default Mamba bite

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Default Re: Mamba bite

Why try and catch it?
    It would have just moved off on it's own.

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

I found that the bigger it is the more aggressive they are. Those 3 and 4 m ones dont give way, but never found that it will charge, if you leave it alone.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

Quote Originally Posted by Chris8d View Post
    Why try and catch it?
    It would have just moved off on it's own.
    Joh, I wouldn't want to take the chance that the mamba will move on by itself. Dogs and children might want to play with the snake.
    Defender 2.8i

People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening

There is a retired GP in our little town that used to be the local snake catcher.
    He told me that mambas were "catchable" in a house, when it is far removed from its territory, but massively dangerous close to its territory. His biggest worry was always at release. He believed there was just so much that can go wrong....

Thanks Paul, hopefully others will learn the obvious lesson.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Quote Originally Posted by albertvl View Post
    Joh, I wouldn't want to take the chance that the mamba will move on by itself. Dogs and children might want to play with the snake.
    Based on my previous post, one has to wonder if Mr Mamba wasn't close to his territory when the incident happened. Hense the aggression. And then yes, maybe he had no intention of moving on.
    They are so extremely dangerous, nothing less than a lion or a leopard, that they have to be feared and treated with absolute respect.

Snake turned it's head.

I've seen how many people underestimate a snake's raw strength. It takes a lot of power to properly grip a snake, even more so a bigger one like the size a Black Mamba can grow to.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Snake turned it's head.

I've seen how many people underestimate a snake's raw strength. It takes a lot of power to properly grip a snake, even more so a bigger one like the size a Black Mamba can grow to.

We once experienced the antithesis of this, when confronted with a emergency while I was still at Tongaat- Hulett Group Hospital in Tongaat.
    A young man was bitten on his foot by a small (about 50 cm in length) snake that was suspiciously like a black mamba, and confirmed by Peter Watson the well known crocodile farm owner locally.
    In the interim we were very busy resuscitating his very rapid deterioration and the neurotoxic effects were notable!
    Intensive and close attention was given to the whole preparatory ritual with resipatory assistance, ECG, Oxygen, and steroids, antihistamines as I recall, and guided by expert advise from Durban.
    This was followed by ampoules of antiserum we had in stock (9 in all), and then posting him off by ambulance accompanied by a doctor.
    We were complimented the next day when he was discharged from the I CU at R K Khan Hospital, and the patient was beside himself with relief, and so were we.
    The message here is that size is immaterial, and the scary anxiety that goes with administrating those ampoules waiting for the reaction that fortunately did not occur!
    Chris

Even a brown house snake is deceptively strong. I never want to experience a fully grown mamba's strength.
    Defender 2.8i

People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening

I am amazed that stocks of the antiserum are not widely available in the country areas. One appreciates the cost but surely this should be a high priority for Governments everywhere.

I am told in South Africa if one needs
    antiserum contact a vet. They usually have stocks!

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    I am told in South Africa if one needs antiserum contact a vet. They usually have stocks!
    We were told the same thing by the vets in Maun, Botswana... don't both rushing to the doctor or local hospital - come straight to them!!!

Suggestion: Maybe we need to contribute to a "sticky", listing all vets that hold anti-venom in Southern African countries?
    Last edited by dangermouse; 2019/05/28 at 08:18 PM.
    ---
    Dale
    WhatsApp: +27-829324043

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara V6 2.7
    2006 Toyota Hilux DC V6 4.0
    2007 Nissan Pathfinder V6 4.0

Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    There is a retired GP in our little town that used to be the local snake catcher.
    He told me that mambas were "catchable" in a house, when it is far removed from its territory, but massively dangerous close to its territory. His biggest worry was always at release. He believed there was just so much that can go wrong....
    Snakes are not territorial. They will stick around in an area if there is food, water and shelter. If any of those disappears or runs out they move on. Their perceived aggression is all about how threatened they feel as well as individual personality. They will defend their life, that's all.
    White Fortuner
    Grey Duster

They say hard work never killed anyone, but why take the chance?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHenry View Post
    Snakes are not territorial. They will stick around in an area if there is food, water and shelter. If any of those disappears or runs out they move on. Their perceived aggression is all about how threatened they feel as well as individual personality. They will defend their life, that's all.
    Tomatoes or tamatoes..
    While the snake "sticks around" it is his territory for the duration. The comment was made in relation to a mamba in your lounge, which is an unknown space he ventured into, compared to the mamba that is "at home" an has a nest/ offspring/bed/food that is threatened.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    I am amazed that stocks of the antiserum are not widely available in the country areas. One appreciates the cost but surely this should be a high priority for Governments everywhere.

I am told in South Africa if one needs
    antiserum contact a vet. They usually have stocks!
    suggest you take that comment with a large pinch of salt. antivenom is no easy thing to manage. It is not only that they are extremely expensive, they also have very short effective shelf life, and the administering of antivenin is also not child’s play. I would be very weary of administering antivenom in an environment where defribulators and other critical medical equipment is not available, and by a nurse they may or may not not what they are doing. Adverse reactions to antivenom are common (its as deadly as the actual venom by the way).

treat symptomatically, try slow down circulation and get to hospital ASAP. In the meanwhile, pray.