Border Crossing Advice & Costs

Default Border Crossing Advice & Costs

Hi all

We are doing another Hwange / Mana Pools trip in September. Hubby is not wanting to go up to Mana through Zim this time round due to the situation & diesel issues.

So we are doing the following & would just like any advice / info & current prices for the border crossings as we have never travelled in or through Zambia before.

SA into Botswana at Stokpoort - we've used this border each time so all good on this one
    Botswana into Zimbabwe at Pandamatenga - again done this often & happy with this - just need to find out current costs please?
    Zimbabwe into Zambia at Victoria Falls - need any & all advice on this & I cannot find border crossing costs anywhere? Have read that we need a Police Clearance Certificate for Zambia - is this correct??
    Zambia into Zimbabwe at Kariba (preferably not Chirundu as Ive heard too many negatives about it) again need any & all advice on this?

We would also like to know about diesel in Zambia, the average cost, the quality & how we pay for it? Do they accept Credit Cards for fuel or is it cash only & if so what currencies they will accept?

We will be returning the same way but crossing from Zambia into Zimbabwe at Livingstone ?Vic Falla and going back down through Pandamatenga into Botswana.

2006 Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
    (Chief Planner of all trips / Chief Photographer / Navigator for Hubby)
    "Africa is NOT for sissies" "The only man I envy is the man who has not yet been to Africa...for he has so much to look forward to" "I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

Talking Re: Border Crossing Advice & Costs

Hi Landylovers,

We're planning the exact trip for now in late June (in our Landy ) except we're returning from Mana via Gweru and Plumtree border.

We'd also love to hear some response to the questions in your post.

Do you have any idea what the food / meat restrictions are for Zambia?

Thanks
    Nadine
    Years ago I drove a 1995 110 Defender 300 Tdi from Cape Town to London (www.bosmansbigadventure.com) and loved the vehicle, which did that overland trip 3 times the last I heard of it. For nostalgic reasons and to continue the adventure, I recently bought another one, a 110 Defender 300 Tdi (1997) model with 345k on the clock. Mechanically it is quite sound for such an old vehicle. Unfortunately the previous owners badly messed up the wiring and hacked the aircon and other parts out of it. This is going to be a project Landie...

Default Re: Border Crossing Advice & Costs

Quote Originally Posted by Overlander2000 View Post
    Hi Landylovers,

We're planning the exact trip for now in late June (in our Landy ) except we're returning from Mana via Gweru and Plumtree border.

We'd also love to hear some response to the questions in your post.

Do you have any idea what the food / meat restrictions are for Zambia?

Thanks
    Nadine

Hi Nadine

Sadly no responses as yet to my post Hopefully some people will take the time to respond shortly

I have also been looking for the duty free allowances & restrictions for Zambia & so far not been able to find anything. However we are only staying 1 night en route to Mana Pools & planning to shop in Kariba (hopefully!!) so I am not overly concerned about it but if I do find any info I will be sure to share it

Dee

"Africa is NOT for sissies" "The only man I envy is the man who has not yet been to Africa...for he has so much to look forward to" "I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

Fuel is freely available if paid in US$ or a foreign credit card. The official exchange rate is 3 Zimbos to one US$ but you can get 5 to 1 from the locals who are "hungry" for US$.

If you take the carbon tax and other costs involved, I would pay the about US$1.30 for fuel in Zim and go via Plumtree to Bulawayo to Mana and back.

There are no more troublesome road blocks and police only check for divers Licence these days. NO MORE BRIBES!!

Read this post - https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...imbabwe-update

Best of luck.
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2019/05/27 at 12:21 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Quote Originally Posted by landylovers View Post
    Hi Nadine

Sadly no responses as yet to my post Hopefully some people will take the time to respond shortly

I have also been looking for the duty free allowances & restrictions for Zambia & so far not been able to find anything. However we are only staying 1 night en route to Mana Pools & planning to shop in Kariba (hopefully!!) so I am not overly concerned about it but if I do find any info I will be sure to share it

Dee

Hi Dee, thanks for the response.

We're planning on buying meat in Palapye, and hoping we can take what we purchase in Botswana through into Zimbabwe and Zambia and back to Zim again - Multiple border crossings... hence the question. If not, then I guess we'll stock up again for Mana at Kariba as well.

If I find out anything regarding meat / veg restrictions when crossing from Bots to Zim to Zambia, then I'll let you know as well. You're welcome to pass anything on directly ([email protected]) should you find any further info, I'm happy to do the same.

Will also report back to the forum when we're back, hopefully it will help other travellers doing a similar trip

On another topic, do you guys travel with a Sat phone? I see there is wifi available at most accommodation spots along the way (Vic Falls / Kariba) and I believe there is wifi at the office in Nyamepi, but we're travelling with kids and so are concerned about maintaining contact with family and of course for emergencies along the way (since we're not doing the convoy thing). Any suggestions would be welcome.

Where are you planning on staying in Vic Falls and Kariba? We're looking at N1 Hotel or Shearwaters in Vic Falls though they are a bit pricey, and Eagles Rest and Lomagundi for Kariba. Any suggestions welcome - we haven't camped in either place before. T4A and forum have been helpful in this regard.

Thanks again
    Nadine
    Years ago I drove a 1995 110 Defender 300 Tdi from Cape Town to London (www.bosmansbigadventure.com) and loved the vehicle, which did that overland trip 3 times the last I heard of it. For nostalgic reasons and to continue the adventure, I recently bought another one, a 110 Defender 300 Tdi (1997) model with 345k on the clock. Mechanically it is quite sound for such an old vehicle. Unfortunately the previous owners badly messed up the wiring and hacked the aircon and other parts out of it. This is going to be a project Landie...

Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    Fuel is freely available if paid in US$ or a foreign credit card. The official exchange rate is 3 Zimbos to one US$ but you can get 5 to 1 from the locals who are "hungry" for US$.

If you take the carbon tax and other costs involved, I would pay the about US$1.30 for fuel in Zim and go via Plumtree to Bulawayo to Mana and back.

There are no more troublesome road blocks and police only check for divers Licence these days. NO MORE BRIBES!!

Read this post - https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...imbabwe-update

Best of luck.

Thanks so much for the info & the link to the Zim thread Malcolm, much appreciated!

Our original itinerary was to go through Zim but my hubby insisted we change the route mainly due to uncertainty of the fuel situation - must say I'm a little irritated that we did so but bookings are now made & paid for via Zambia so we will have to live with it!!

Either way I'm quite sure we are really looking forward to it & will have a great trip

Quote Originally Posted by Overlander2000 View Post
    Hi Dee, thanks for the response.

We're planning on buying meat in Palapye, and hoping we can take what we purchase in Botswana through into Zimbabwe and Zambia and back to Zim again - Multiple border crossings... hence the question. If not, then I guess we'll stock up again for Mana at Kariba as well.

If I find out anything regarding meat / veg restrictions when crossing from Bots to Zim to Zambia, then I'll let you know as well. You're welcome to pass anything on directly ([email protected]) should you find any further info, I'm happy to do the same.

Will also report back to the forum when we're back, hopefully it will help other travellers doing a similar trip

On another topic, do you guys travel with a Sat phone? I see there is wifi available at most accommodation spots along the way (Vic Falls / Kariba) and I believe there is wifi at the office in Nyamepi, but we're travelling with kids and so are concerned about maintaining contact with family and of course for emergencies along the way (since we're not doing the convoy thing). Any suggestions would be welcome.

Where are you planning on staying in Vic Falls and Kariba? We're looking at N1 Hotel or Shearwaters in Vic Falls though they are a bit pricey, and Eagles Rest and Lomagundi for Kariba. Any suggestions welcome - we haven't camped in either place before. T4A and forum have been helpful in this regard.

Thanks again
    Nadine
    Hi Nadine

What border post are you guys using to go into Zim?

We are using Pandamatenga again in Sept as it is such a small & quiet border post & goes right into Hwange. Both times we have used it going in & out from Hwange before, we were the only vehicle. They did a "glance over search" of our car. Both times I took a chance & had vacuum packed meat at the bottom of the fridge with cool drinks, waters & salads packed on top (hubby was a wreck with worry!!) & fortunately we had no problem in or out - we just gave the 3 chaps a Coke each & they were happy!! We went up to Kasane from Hwange. I did have the meat when we crossed into Botswana through Stokpoort & same thing - no problem!

They are far more strict when travelling South through Botswana & we have had tomatoes & apples confiscated at the stops before. Never travelled south with meat though as it was all used up by then but I would not advise it as you will have it confiscated!

We also travel just the 2 of us alone & have never used a SAT Phone as we have found the cell signal throughout Botswana & Zim very good. Mana Pools does have wifi at the main office but there is no cell phone signal in the park at all unfortunately.

I have not been able to get accommodation in Kariba for the 1 night we have before our Mana booking as everything was fully booked for our date So we are either going to stay at Makuti Lodge or try & see if we get lucky & can go into Mana 1 night early - we did this last time & were very fortunate to get in earlier than booked! I also found the accommodation at Kariba very expensive!!

Will keep in touch with you via email with any further info & you can do the same - my email: [email protected]

Thanks a mill
    Dee

Quote Originally Posted by landylovers View Post
    Hi Nadine

What border post are you guys using to go into Zim?

We are using Pandamatenga again in Sept as it is such a small & quiet border post & goes right into Hwange. Both times we have used it going in & out from Hwange before, we were the only vehicle. They did a "glance over search" of our car. Both times I took a chance & had vacuum packed meat at the bottom of the fridge with cool drinks, waters & salads packed on top (hubby was a wreck with worry!!) & fortunately we had no problem in or out - we just gave the 3 chaps a Coke each & they were happy!! We went up to Kasane from Hwange. I did have the meat when we crossed into Botswana through Stokpoort & same thing - no problem!

They are far more strict when travelling South through Botswana & we have had tomatoes & apples confiscated at the stops before. Never travelled south with meat though as it was all used up by then but I would not advise it as you will have it confiscated!

We also travel just the 2 of us alone & have never used a SAT Phone as we have found the cell signal throughout Botswana & Zim very good. Mana Pools does have wifi at the main office but there is no cell phone signal in the park at all unfortunately.

I have not been able to get accommodation in Kariba for the 1 night we have before our Mana booking as everything was fully booked for our date So we are either going to stay at Makuti Lodge or try & see if we get lucky & can go into Mana 1 night early - we did this last time & were very fortunate to get in earlier than booked! I also found the accommodation at Kariba very expensive!!

Will keep in touch with you via email with any further info & you can do the same - my email: [email protected]

Thanks a mill
    Dee
    Thanks Dee, will mail you