Southern Namibia Tour: 2nd Spare or not?

Default Southern Namibia Tour: 2nd Spare or not?

Doing a short solo trip to Southern Namibia ( Fish River area and Keetmanshoop ) in August.

Have a Wrangler with brand new 265/70R17 tyres and will do the usual tyre pressure drop and slower speed on gravel roads. ( have on board compressor and puncture kit )

My options are wrt to puncture which destroys a tyre are:

1) 2nd spare wheel. ( positive is peace of mind in case of total loss of more than one tyre...negative is cost of additional rim and additional weight on already loaded roof rack )

2) Spare tyre only ( positive is less weight on roof rack, also don’t have to hunt for tyre dealer with right size tyre....negative is fitting tyre to rim in middle of no where )

3) If a tyre is destroyed, use spare and buy new tyre in say Keetmanshoop ( positive is no additional weight on roof rack...negative is dealer may not have my tyre size or be open for business when I need a tyre )

Sorry for long winded question and maybe I’m overthinking the matter, but have once before written off a tyre in middle of no where in RSA, but fortunately several tyre dealers in nearby town had my tyre size (265/70R17) so no major hassle.

Your advice will be appreciated

Default Re: Southern Namibia Tour: 2nd Spare or not?

"Meerkat"
    Namboyz
    modded 02' 105 series 4.5efi (big wheeled petrol thief)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AboutAfrica For This Useful Post:

My advice : take a second spare!

I had a blowout between Grunau and Luderitz. The tyre was ripped to pieces .

In Luderitz there was only one tyre place and they did not have my 265/70 r 16 size, any brand , only on order , at a price , and God knows when it would have for there (from Windhoek).

It made for a couple of anxious days exploring the Luderitz area, with no spare tyre, only a couple of cans of that foam repair thing...

Cheers

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    My advice : take a second spare!

I had a blowout between Grunau and Luderitz. The tyre was ripped to pieces .

In Luderitz there was only one tyre place and they did not have my 265/70 r 16 size, any brand , only on order , at a price , and God knows when it would have for there (from Windhoek).

It made for a couple of anxious days exploring the Luderitz area, with no spare tyre, only a couple of cans of that foam repair thing...

Cheers
    Lost a tyre between Ai Ais and Rosh Pinah. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3069.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	182.1 KB 
ID:	528802Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3062.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	195.1 KB 
ID:	528803We had a spare BFG and fitted it. The tyre places in Rosh Pinah could not find a replacement BFG in a radius of a thousand kilometers. In the end I bought two Chinese made mud tyres the mine uses on their underground vehicles for about R3000 each. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3068.jpg 
Size:	161.8 KB 
ID:	528804We put the spare BFG on the roof rack and off we went. 8000 km later the BFGs on the front were shot and the Chinese Mirages on the back looked none the less for wear. It was difficult to find two Mirage tyres in the Cape, but in the end a guy from the Paarl found them at about half the price. My advice to you: Take a spare tyre with you, there are tyre places in every town that can exchange and or fit it on a rim for you. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3485.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	161.3 KB 
ID:	528798uClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3486.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	166.6 KB 
ID:	528799
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3483.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	157.2 KB 
ID:	528800Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3484.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	156.5 KB 
ID:	528801

Thanks for the responses so far, much appreciated!

My leaning is towards lugging a tyre, without rim, and a couple of tyre levers. That way I can lessen the load on the roof rack and can pack stuff in the tyre casing as well to save space.

Still got a few months before the trip.....may just be lucky enough to find one spare rim for sale.....most folks selling 2nd hand in sets of four or five....hopefully won’t need so many spares for the trip

Have a great day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam16 View Post
    Lost a tyre between Ai Ais and Rosh Pinah. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3069.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	182.1 KB 
ID:	528802Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3062.jpg 
Size:	195.1 KB 
ID:	528803We had a spare BFG and fitted it. The tyre places in Rosh Pinah could not find a replacement BFG in a radius of a thousand kilometers. In the end I bought two Chinese made mud tyres the mine uses on their underground vehicles for about R3000 each. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3068.jpg 
Size:	161.8 KB 
ID:	528804We put the spare BFG on the roof rack and off we went. 8000 km later the BFGs on the front were shot and the Chinese Mirages on the back looked none the less for wear. It was difficult to find two Mirage tyres in the Cape, but in the end a guy from the Paarl found them at about half the price. My advice to you: Take a spare tyre with you, there are tyre places in every town that can exchange and or fit it on a rim for you. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3485.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	161.3 KB 
ID:	528798uClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3486.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	166.6 KB 
ID:	528799
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3483.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	157.2 KB 
ID:	528800Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3484.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	156.5 KB 
ID:	528801
    Thanks for the advice.

For the trip I’m taking off my big “muddies” and running a spare set of tyres on standard rims, that I have. Should help with Wrangler’s crazy fuel consumption and slightly easier to find the size from dealers in Namibia.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrepb View Post
    Thanks for the advice.

For the trip I’m taking off my big “muddies” and running a spare set of tyres on standard rims, that I have. Should help with Wrangler’s crazy fuel consumption and slightly easier to find the size from dealers in Namibia.
    The roads in southern Namibia are badly corrugated but not extremely-tyre-devouring-rough. That is northwestern Namibia. If you you keep your speeds low and choose your line, you can have a smooth ride. We also like to turn off the main drag and find the secondary and tertiary road - less traveled and not as bad and rough as the main roads.

Andre, I have done the roads in Southern Namibia many times without an additional spare.
    Your tyre seems fairly standard (Toyota DC?) and should not be a problem to get in the bigger towns.
    I will be going from Luderitz to Swakop later this year and will not take an additional spare.
    If you have plenty of additional space then OK.
    However, you need to evaluate your own risk.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RonS For This Useful Post:

I live in southern namibia and have never had an issue with more than one puncture on a trip -except koakoland where I had 4 with bridgestones. I only carry one spare. On average, i probably have a puncture every 3 or 4 years.
    My belief is -
    Reduce pressures to 2 bar max.
    Tyre monitor to avoid destroying tyres.
    Good tyres - bfg, wrangler not bridgestone!
    Dont exceed 100km/h - driving fast throws up stones which sometimes are perfectly orientated to puncture the rear tyre (90% of punctures on rear)
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Head - 2007 Toyota Fortuner, OME, extra tank, roof rack, bent running boards
    Heart - SFA hilux dcab

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KimballR For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KimballR View Post
    I live in southern namibia and have never had an issue with more than one puncture on a trip -except koakoland where I had 4 with bridgestones. I only carry one spare. On average, i probably have a puncture every 3 or 4 years.
    My belief is -
    Reduce pressures to 2 bar max.
    Tyre monitor to avoid destroying tyres.
    Good tyres - bfg, wrangler not bridgestone!
    Dont exceed 100km/h - driving fast throws up stones which sometimes are perfectly orientated to puncture the rear tyre (90% of punctures on rear)
    Carefull with Wranglers and some other tyres, they may not be rated Light Truck and will not stand up to a heavy vehicle with a heavy load. And that was advice given to me by a tyre guy in Rosh Pinah - the Wranglers were there, ready for the taking and he said he was not going to sell them to me because they will not last under heavy load and a heavy vehicle.

Just take one spare tyre and go

Dont overthink it. You will be fine.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kaboef For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sam16 View Post
    Carefull with Wranglers and some other tyres, they may not be rated Light Truck and will not stand up to a heavy vehicle with a heavy load. And that was advice given to me by a tyre guy in Rosh Pinah - the Wranglers were there, ready for the taking and he said he was not going to sell them to me because they will not last under heavy load and a heavy vehicle.
    I was and still am a fan of the bfg's - just can not take the price.
    I am now on my first set of the new goodyear wrangler with kevlar (same as bfg). So far, so good. 30,000km with a trip to meob bay and back - 600km at 0.8 bar, heavy load, lots of gravel roads around southern Namibia and a few trips into the sperrgebiedt on truly bad tyre eating roads.
    No punctures, no chipping and many km left in the tyres. I think these new wranglers are good and at a 3rd of the price of bfg's...
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Heart - SFA hilux dcab

Quote Originally Posted by KimballR View Post
    I was and still am a fan of the bfg's - just can not take the price.
    I am now on my first set of the new goodyear wrangler with kevlar (same as bfg). So far, so good. 30,000km with a trip to meob bay and back - 600km at 0.8 bar, heavy load, lots of gravel roads around southern Namibia and a few trips into the sperrgebiedt on truly bad tyre eating roads.
    No punctures, no chipping and many km left in the tyres. I think these new wranglers are good and at a 3rd of the price of bfg's...
    Thanks for the useful feedback.

Yes, my Jeep just happens to be fitted with the new Goodyear Adventure tyres, which I fitted specifically for touring.

For off road “playing” I have a set of LT 35” mud tyres which although pretty new, are extremely heavy on fuel consumption. Also the ride is not comfortable for the long stretches of tar roads I’ll also be doing, which offsets the puncture resistance they do offer.
    I’m not going far into Namibia and I’m not under any pressure for time, so I’ll be traveling pretty slowly to take in the great scenery rather than pushing hard to reach destinations.

Have a great day all.

Just came back after 7000km Botswana - kgalagadi,Moremi,Chobe Linyanti and into Namibia via Caprivi strip to swakopmond and then Sossusvlei, Ais - ais. Tyres Goodyear wranglers and had no punctures all 7000km, also had ekstra spare just incase. Just kept eye on my speed & tyre pressure, the gravel road around ais ais was better than tar road and a team were constantly working on it. Farmer came past me before sossusvlei driving about 120km/h and had destroyed one of his tyres 5km after passing me, road was rocky and I drove 80-90km/h. Ask me again and I will still take ekstra spare, the rule of not driving faster than 80km/h on bad gravel worked for me.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to barnard27 For This Useful Post:

If you have a common tyre size don't sweat it. If not then just take a tyre, I am going to make a bottom and a lid so I can pack stuff in mine... I was t
    Also thinking of getting a water bladder roughly the size of the tyre.
    As mentioned tyre pressure monitor is a must. No such thing as a " blow out". Tyre just gets flatter and flatter, hotter and hotter until it disintegrates. Most blow outs are not a spontanious explosions as most people would have you believe.
    Talk softly, carry a big stick.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biggles For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    If you have a common tyre size don't sweat it. If not then just take a tyre, I am going to make a bottom and a lid so I can pack stuff in mine... I was t
    As mentioned tyre pressure monitor is a must. No such thing as a " blow out". Tyre just gets flatter and flatter, hotter and hotter until it disintegrates. Most blow outs are not a spontanious explosions as most people would have you believe.
    In our case a piece of steel from a grader blade slashed the three ply sidewall. But I agree on the tyre pressure monitor - it is essential!

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Based on feedback so far, looks like best option for me is to put a spare ( tyre only ) on the roof rack and use cavity in tyre to store my “air jack”.

I’ll use a surplus canvas cover off the Jeeps door mounted spare wheel to keep some dust off the tyre, also will keep sun from nailing the air jack. Hopefully I won’t need to use either.

Take care and have a great day.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaboef View Post
    Just take one spare tyre and go

Dont overthink it. You will be fine.
    There's the best answer. You can lose a tire 5km from home on the N1 as well. On average the roads in Southern Nam doesn't require a 2nd spare, so if you're consciously looking at where you're driving, you'll be fine. Usually the "aim, close eyes and go" type drivers need 3 extra wheels.
    <insert all your cars, your wife's car, your kids pram model and your underpants size here - apparently it adds value and boosts you ego>

Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    There's the best answer. You can lose a tire 5km from home on the N1 as well. On average the roads in Southern Nam doesn't require a 2nd spare, so if you're consciously looking at where you're driving, you'll be fine. Usually the "aim, close eyes and go" type drivers need 3 extra wheels.
    Have lived in Oranjemund for 25 years and have travelled the roads of southern namibia for as long. I have driven probably many hundreds of thousands of km on these roads and have never had more than 1 puncture on a trip.
    Just go.
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Heart - SFA hilux dcab

28. The Following User Says Thank You to KimballR For This Useful Post: