Do you really want to use Gmail

Question Do you really want to use Gmail

The question is not only for Gmail. It applies to all of the similar systems. Hotmail used to have a rule that what ever was sent through them Microsoft had the ownership.

It cost pocket money to register own domain and have some PAYED UP hosting where the registered owner has full control.

For a business owner it is not very professional to use "free" accounts.

Here is one more reason not to use "free" accounts:
    https://www.businessinsider.co.za/ho...rchases-2019-5

"Free" account = marrying them.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

Default Re: Do you really want to use Gmail

In my opinion, I refuse to use any business with a GMAIL account.

A small guy doing piece work and general repairs: fair enough.

But if you employ people and refuse to pay for a hosted web site and a proper email mailbox: that means you're just cheap and nasty.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    The question is not only for Gmail. It applies to all of the similar systems. Hotmail used to have a rule that what ever was sent through them Microsoft had the ownership. - Since the new EU laws that issue has been resolved, (ownership and right to share,) but you are still sharing your information for the email provider to use, even if it is within the laws.
    It cost pocket money to register own domain and have some PAYED UP hosting where the registered owner has full control. - Pocket money for the service, but not so easy for everyone to setup and use.

For a business owner it is not very professional to use "free" accounts. - No less professional in my view than an MWEB or telkomsa.net email address. Having said that, Gmail is probably the most secure free email out there.

Here is one more reason not to use "free" accounts:
    https://www.businessinsider.co.za/ho...rchases-2019-5 - This seems to be the crux of the article...
    There doesn't appear to be an easy way to delete these purchases from your Gmail inbox or the Purchases page other than removing each entry individually. And you can't actually stop Google from tracking and cataloging your purchases.
    Unless they are sharing that information with other users, illegal in terms of the EU laws, I do not see that as a problem.

"Free" account = marrying them. - Yip, but you need to be sure it's an equitable partnership... everyone gets some benefit...
    The Google issue is much bigger than email. If you use Google, (or any of the free providers, and not just email,) you give up a certain amount of privacy for convenience, and I'm OK with that now. I never used to be...

A quick example. I use the Google voice search, because of how it works... the sound clip is sent to the cloud... massive servers decode the sound bite in the context of what you have asked in previous queries, your browsing history, your emails, current location, your previous destinations, your shopping... the list goes on... but more often than not, I get the answer I'm looking for... Google took my words and found the answer that applied to me. A Google text search will provide slightly different results because the words have a higher ranking than the context.

I do not let apps on my phone get my data (except Google, I'm on Android) but how far can you go... I do not have the Facebook app on my phone, but who could/can go without WhatsApp? So that is why Facebook paid billions of $$ for an app that earns no money... all Facebook wanted was the data... and they got it... mine too...

Question is, where do you draw the line?

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    In my opinion, I refuse to use any business with a GMAIL account.

A small guy doing piece work and general repairs: fair enough.

But if you employ people and refuse to pay for a hosted web site and a proper email mailbox: that means you're just cheap and nasty.
    Me too... unless they have got something I want.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    Me too... unless they have got something I want.
    just never pay a guy like that up front.............
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

I get an email message from "MWEB" stating i must follow the link as my accounts data usage is nearly finished.
    The sender is ...Mr Daaidoo and is sent from a Gmail address. Well i immediately junk mailed it.
    MWEB would never send an email from Gmail, what for.

I think the essence behind the free mail accounts was good, but now its become a bit exploited.

ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

For buisiness, a definite no.

For private an absolute yes.

Many people are uncomfortable with the fact that Google keep track of where you are etc.

I however, have no problem with it. I do not spend time in suspect venues. My wife have full access to my phone and computers.

In fact, I usually share my position with her when I am the move as a measure of security.

If something happens to me during my extensive travels, it might just be that time where a last position can make huge difference.

I also have a stack of junkmail that comes in as a result of many years on the internet - of course most of it sex or scam related.

That is just part of the deal an can be managed.

So, I am not one of those who fears the mark of the animal or whatever people like to call it. I am quite in favour of more of this kind of "control".
    Last edited by biltong; 2019/05/19 at 10:05 AM.
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 TDi - "Tink Tanky"

"Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

"A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to biltong For This Useful Post:

That comment "free" e mail includes anything the ISP provides "free". They do this to keep customers. It is difficult, problematic and can be really expensive in lost reputation and orders for a company to change e mail provider, e.g address.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

The big leverage I like about Google, is that when I want to get a paid account, I insist that they can prove the same uptime, and secondly that I get at least as much storage space as on a free Google account.

(I have a paid Google account though. I have backup mail since 2002 of my entire private and professional life. )
    1999 Discovery 1, 300 TDi - "Tink Tanky"

"Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence."

"A technician will let a system degenerate to the level of his understanding and maintain it there."

14. The Following User Says Thank You to biltong For This Useful Post:

Whenever you make use of a free service like Google you must realize that you are the product being sold. If you are not ok with that, you have to spend some Randelas.
    Defender 2.8i

People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening

16. The Following User Says Thank You to albertvl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by albertvl View Post
    Whenever you make use of a free service like Google you must realize that you are the product being sold. If you are not ok with that, you have to spend some Randelas.
    No amount of money can make up for the inconvenience of dropping Google... unless you have something very deep to hide...

If you choose to use an Android phone... you are in the system, like it or not... the cost/benefit (privacy vs. convenience,) of Google is just too much unless there is something you actively need to hide. There is no such thing as a little bit of Google, you are in or out.

Check these sites out and see what it takes, and what the reward is!

https://www.howtogeek.com/348792/how...rom-your-life/

https://lifehacker.com/the-comprehen...gle-1830001964

Bottom line... Google is so good because it knows so much about you.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MarcR For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    No amount of money can make up for the inconvenience of dropping Google... unless you have something very deep to hide...

If you choose to use an Android phone... you are in the system, like it or not... the cost/benefit (privacy vs. convenience,) of Google is just too much unless there is something you actively need to hide. There is no such thing as a little bit of Google, you are in or out.

Check these sites out and see what it takes, and what the reward is!

https://www.howtogeek.com/348792/how...rom-your-life/

https://lifehacker.com/the-comprehen...gle-1830001964

Bottom line... Google is so good because it knows so much about you.
    Is Google perhaps the Great Beast referred to in Revelations? Die ene agter wie die wereld verwondered sal aanloop?
    Defender 2.8i

People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening

Quote Originally Posted by albertvl View Post
    Is Google perhaps the Great Beast referred to in Revelations? Die ene agter wie die wereld verwondered sal aanloop?
    Nope, not Google... that will be your credit/cash card providers... pushing for a cashless society...

My Gmail account is used whenever I have to register software or for any online dealings. This way I prevent my personal email from getting spam. I go to my Gmail account ever so often, select the 50 or 60 useless emails, select all and delete. I don't even bother reading them.
    I do this especially if there is a tick-box that says "would you like to be contacted"... Whether you tick it or not, rest assured they will send you emails!!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to AntonN For This Useful Post: