accommodation between Slaapstad and Botswana Border





Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Cape town
    Age
    34
    Posts
    574
    Thanked: 31

    Default accommodation between Slaapstad and Botswana Border

    Have any of you got recommendations for accommodation between the border at Vioolsdrif and the border post at Buitepos? Our first night in Botswana will be at Thakadu bush camp. Any suggestions on what the best route would be. Would it be necessary for a stop over in Windhoek?

    Just thinking what would be the quickest and safest route, tar all the way to Windhoek and then cut across to the border which i think is also tar all the way through or along the back routes on gravel roads. What is the traffic like on the main roads, cow boy drivers like in SA?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Okahandja
    Age
    53
    Posts
    756
    Thanked: 473

    Default Re: accommodation between Slaapstad and Botswana Border

    Vioolsdrif to Windhoek is 800km. Windhoek to Buitepos is 300km. Sleep over in Windhoek. All the way tar road. Much less traffic than SA but lots of large trucks depends on what time of the week. Back road much better drive and shorte distance but longer time bu then you can sleep over halfway on a guest farm and it will still be 2 days to your Botswana destination.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Simon's Town
    Age
    69
    Posts
    927
    Thanked: 225

    Default Re: accommodation between Slaapstad and Botswana Border

    Quote Originally Posted by HomeBrewer View Post
    Have any of you got recommendations for accommodation between the border at Vioolsdrif and the border post at Buitepos? Our first night in Botswana will be at Thakadu bush camp. Any suggestions on what the best route would be. Would it be necessary for a stop over in Windhoek?

    Just thinking what would be the quickest and safest route, tar all the way to Windhoek and then cut across to the border which i think is also tar all the way through or along the back routes on gravel roads. What is the traffic like on the main roads, cow boy drivers like in SA?
    Have you considered going via Bokspits, one less border crossing, no Namibia road tax and shorter road too than via Windhoek?
    Last edited by mcowell; 2019/05/18 at 09:34 PM.
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB
    Bushwakka Sundowner No. 31

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Cape town
    Age
    34
    Posts
    574
    Thanked: 31

    Default Re: accommodation between Slaapstad and Botswana Border

    Quote Originally Posted by mcowell View Post
    Have you considered going via Bokspits, one less border crossing, no Namibia road tax and shorter road too than via Windhoek?
    No haven't actually? Just assumed going through Namibia would be the quickest...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Cape town
    Age
    34
    Posts
    574
    Thanked: 31

    Default Re: accommodation between Slaapstad and Botswana Border

    Quote Originally Posted by mcowell View Post
    Have you considered going via Bokspits, one less border crossing, no Namibia road tax and shorter road too than via Windhoek?
    What would the route be from the border?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Simon's Town
    Age
    69
    Posts
    927
    Thanked: 225

    Default Re: accommodation between Slaapstad and Botswana Border

    After crossing at Bokspits, a small easy border, scenic tar road along the Malopo River, through, Tsabong and Werda as far as Sekoma on the A20, then turn left on the A2 to Thakadu.

    As an aside, Thakadu has become rather run down and would not be my first choice near Ghanzi.
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB
    Bushwakka Sundowner No. 31

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Cape town
    Age
    34
    Posts
    574
    Thanked: 31

    Default Re: accommodation between Slaapstad and Botswana Border

    Quote Originally Posted by mcowell View Post
    After crossing at Bokspits, a small easy border, scenic tar road along the Malopo River, through, Tsabong and Werda as far as Sekoma on the A20, then turn left on the A2 to Thakadu.

    As an aside, Thakadu has become rather run down and would not be my first choice near Ghanzi.

    Ok that sounds like an option. Overnight in Upington maybe? Can you reccomend any places between the border and thakadu? Not sure if thats doable in one stretch.

    Not nice to hear about thakadu, we did our bookings last minute so just looks like a good ares to be. Im assuming supplies will be easy to come by on this route considering not much we can bring over the border. Our aim is to stock up properly in Ghanzi

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Simon's Town
    Age
    69
    Posts
    927
    Thanked: 225

    Default Re: accommodation between Slaapstad and Botswana Border

    Between Keimoes and Bokspits there are a number of overnight options but rather limited after the border. I am keen to try this place if needed next time, 10km past Tsabong. https://tracks4africa.co.za/listings/item/w187012/tsabong-ecotourism-camel-park/

    Last time we used Cornwall Lodge which is slightly off your track, the other side of Werda, but the road from Werda to the Cornwall is shocking.

    We regularly use Oranjerus and Kalahari Monate.
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB
    Bushwakka Sundowner No. 31

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,467
    Thanked: 366

    Default Re: accommodation between Slaapstad and Botswana Border

    I would push from Cape Town to Molopo Lodge virtually at Bokspits border on day one, then to Ghanzi on day 2, you do not want to be caught by the dark on the Botswana side.
    '89 LR 110 V8

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Cape town
    Age
    34
    Posts
    574
    Thanked: 31

    Default Re: accommodation between Slaapstad and Botswana Border

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    I would push from Cape Town to Molopo Lodge virtually at Bokspits border on day one, then to Ghanzi on day 2, you do not want to be caught by the dark on the Botswana side.
    1000km from molopo to ghanzi... Is that doable

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,467
    Thanked: 366

    Default Re: accommodation between Slaapstad and Botswana Border

    All tar. Start early.
    '89 LR 110 V8

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Simon's Town
    Age
    69
    Posts
    927
    Thanked: 225

    Default Re: accommodation between Slaapstad and Botswana Border

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    All tar. Start early.
    Number of variables here, I presume you are doing the trip fairly soon as you talk about last minute booking, so days are relatively short, also donít know how many days you have to get to Thakadu.

    Molopo Lodge to Thakadu will probably not work in daylight as it looks like border only opens at 0730, so will be close to 0800 by the time you actually hit the road.

    My personal choice,would probably be;
    CT - Oranjerus- 800km,
    Oranjerus - Tsabong Camel Park - 500 km,
    Tsabong - Thakadu- 650km.

    These are round numbers and if you wanted to balance the distances, maybe Oom Bennaís near Brandvlei for first night. Depends where you stay in CT and how bad the morning traffic is.
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB
    Bushwakka Sundowner No. 31

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Cape town
    Age
    34
    Posts
    574
    Thanked: 31

    Default Re: accommodation between Slaapstad and Botswana Border

    Quote Originally Posted by mcowell View Post
    Number of variables here, I presume you are doing the trip fairly soon as you talk about last minute booking, so days are relatively short, also donít know how many days you have to get to Thakadu.

    Molopo Lodge to Thakadu will probably not work in daylight as it looks like border only opens at 0730, so will be close to 0800 by the time you actually hit the road.

    My personal choice,would probably be;
    CT - Oranjerus- 800km,
    Oranjerus - Tsabong Camel Park - 500 km,
    Tsabong - Thakadu- 650km.

    These are round numbers and if you wanted to balance the distances, maybe Oom Bennaís near Brandvlei for first night. Depends where you stay in CT and how bad the morning traffic is.
    Were off Mid September. I had originally planned 2 days to Thakadu, when the route was via Namibia. I also don't want to kill myself before the trip even starts.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Struisbaai
    Age
    58
    Posts
    408
    Thanked: 546

    Default Re: accommodation between Slaapstad and Botswana Border

    I also do the Cape Town to Oranjerus in one day.Leave Cape Town at 5 in the morning.ALWAYS stop in Calvinia for some Karoo Lamb.
    I then go to Springbokpan Camp and sleep over there.Very nice and nice hosts there.
    Go through McCarthys Rest border.Its only 8km from Springbokpan.Its always very quiet and fast to get through.
    Then Go to Kalahari Rest Camp about 35km (I think ) North of Kang.
    Then my long drives are over and I start to enjoy my holiday.

    Edit.Just checked and McCarthys Rest to Ghanzi is 720 km.Roads are good so its easily doable.
    Last edited by LC Man; 2019/05/19 at 08:16 PM.
    2015 Land Cruiser 79 D/C V8 Diesel Turbo
    1983 Suzuki SJ 410 SOA.
    Bush Lapa Boskriek No 607 - Die Kriek

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Simon's Town
    Age
    69
    Posts
    927
    Thanked: 225

    Default Re: accommodation between Slaapstad and Botswana Border

    [QUOTE=LC Man;4147272]I also do the Cape Town to Oranjerus in one day.Leave Cape Town at 5 in the morning.ALWAYS stop in Calvinia for some Karoo Lamb.
    I then go to Springbokpan Camp and sleep over there.Very nice and nice hosts there.
    Go through McCarthys Rest border.Its only 8km from Springbokpan.Its always very quiet and fast to get through.

    We used to stay at Cullinan Guest Farm which is close to Springbokpan and use McCarthy's but now prefer the tar road from Bokspits to Tsabong as the gravel road up to McCarthy's was not always great.

    If you route through Namibia in 2 days you will still have 2, 1000km days with a border crossing on each. Looking at a map Maritz Lodge, close to Keetmanshoop looks about the mid-point.

    These days it takes me 2 days to get to Oranjerus!
    Last edited by mcowell; 2019/05/20 at 09:30 AM.
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB
    Bushwakka Sundowner No. 31

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •