Our 1st Botswana overland trip - 1-13 April - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Our 1st Botswana overland trip - 1-13 April

I just watched the next episode....I want to go NOW!!!

You mention that you experienced some hick ups with T4A. I hope you have track logs that you can send to them for updating the maps. I presume the hick up was road related.

Cheers.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Daniek For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Daniek View Post
    I just watched the next episode....I want to go NOW!!!

You mention that you experienced some hick ups with T4A. I hope you have track logs that you can send to them for updating the maps. I presume the hick up was road related.

Cheers.
    Hi Danie,

Yes, had on 2 hiccups when traveling where T4A took us into dead ends.
    What I have found is that if you have shortest distance activated then, obvious, T4A will try and navigate the shortest route.
    However on instance 1 - we drove straight into a private camp and lost 45 mins back tracking, and instance 2 - we drove off track to barely visible tracks and lost 20 or so minutes.
    Yes, still have the travel logs and will upload to T4A.
    Do more, more often . . . live the dream

http://www.youtube.com/c/4x4ventures_southafrica

Current
    2016 2.2 XL 4X4 Manual Ford Ranger
    Previous
    2010 2.0 TDi 4X2 VW Amarok

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Crocker View Post
    Hi Danie,

Yes, had on 2 hiccups when traveling where T4A took us into dead ends.
    What I have found is that if you have shortest distance activated then, obvious, T4A will try and navigate the shortest route.
    However on instance 1 - we drove straight into a private camp and lost 45 mins back tracking, and instance 2 - we drove off track to barely visible tracks and lost 20 or so minutes.
    Yes, still have the travel logs and will upload to T4A.
    That will be valuable info to T4A.

Awesome detailed overland trip.
    Loved everyone moment of watching the videos.

Keep up the good work and the Ranger is keep up well. Wow
    Last edited by Unobeat; 2019/05/25 at 04:08 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Unobeat For This Useful Post:

Hi Davian,

It (4x4) is not essential, but I would recommend it, especially when towing a trailer.

Cheers
    Ryan
    Ryan, I beg to differ. A 4x4 is essential for the best parts of Botswana. I realize that you try and qualify your statement but all you do is contradict yourself.

Great video, looking forward to part 2, thank you.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

Wow fantastic trip report and video. Thanks so much for sharing...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PK1972 For This Useful Post:

Hey guys,

I just want to thank this community folk for all the shared info regarding Botswana and how, where, and when best to travel through this really special and inviting country.

We had a great trip from the 1st of April to the 13th of April, thanks mainly in part, I recon to the rains falling late.

Trip Itinerary and summary:
    Day 1 we traveled to Khama Rhino Sanctuary and had the camps almost to ourselves, although each campsite is almost secluded - great facility and excellent wildlife numbers. A great way to ease into the trip.
    Day 2 we traveled to Kubu Island, & the Makgadikgadi Pans were dry. A very special and mystical place Kubu island is, but we were beaten by the wind. Still very enjoyable. Off the grid camping and stayed away from long drop.
    Day 3 we traveled to Planet Baobab, a great pool and bar welcomes stop over visitors, but the campsites lack individual privacy, 2 campsites per campsite. Great communal ablution facilities and a stand out pool area.
    Day 4 we traveled through Maun, stopping for lunch and a re-stock across the board. Don't forget wood when travelling into the reserves. We headed to South Gate campsite.
    Day 5 we had a rest day and enjoyed a game drive where leopard was spotted just 3kms from camp. Elephant visited us in the campsite - special. A bit of noise from the camp tenders as their camp was fairly close to ours.
    Day 6 we headed for Khwai - Magotho. The best days drive, with scenic changes from Mopani to fantastic riverine eco-systems. Magotho is special plain and simple. First time there and will be back many times over
    Day 7 we enjoyed Magotho with game drives and plenty ellies visiting camp, some a mere 10 m from where we sat. Words just don't do this place justice.
    Day 8 we traveled North to Linyanti. Tough and very sandy drive, but the 2.2 XL ranger surprised me for sure. A long day and we were greeted by wild dogs on entering camp. The vista is scenic, but be careful for sausage trees
    Day 9 we traveled through smaller section of thick sand, saved some bogged down tourists, only to arrive late at Ihaha where we were greeted by 800 buffalo - WOW! Awesome campsite with ablution facility needing some TLC
    Day 10 we traveled to Vic Falls, with the hopes of going to Hwange. The heavens opened up proper and we were unable to travel forward. Hwange was missed, but great reason to go back.

Conclusion:
    * Always buy your wood piles before entering the reserves - at the campsites they cost up to 5 X more
    * Take an excellent cooler box for ice storage, and buy solid Ice Blocks - they last longer
    * Magotho seems to be in the process of building ablution blocks, that are distanced from camps - I don't know how I feel about this addition to what can only be described as a very remarkable place.
    * Always be careful around the campsites in the evenings, be vigilant and non-complacent of the possibility to being visited by the various cats, ellies, hippos and hyenas. Use your torch sparingly and enjoy your campfires.
    * Burn bones and any left over foods, or pack away tightly in fridges and cooler boxes.
    * Leave the campsites and bush as you found it, clean of all litter, tidy and as natural & unspoiled as one can - make an effort.

Botswana is very welcoming, and is just how I remembered it growing up and spending 19 years there. Not much has changed in 30 years, which I think is great from a returning travelers POV.
    Larger towns have grown somewhat and good to see police and soldiers active and on the move.
    Wildlife sightings are excellent, with numbers where they should be, however, there is a noticeable explosion of the elephant population and this has had an affect, I think, to the Chobe eco-systems. The reserve seems under pressure, with erosion having an impact on the Northern part of the reserve.

Watch our video here if you are keen.
    https://youtu.be/694uHlx7iKQ

Keep well and enjoy.

Rgds
    Ryan
    All i can say is well done very well put together you tube videos

12. The Following User Says Thank You to boffen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Davian74 View Post
    Thanks so much Ryan, I do not want to push my luck. I either need to amend the route or upgrade the tow vehicle (reluctant to do so just for one or two trips). Looking forward to your next instalments.
    Regards
    Dave
    I will definitely consider the rental option like you said why the extra financial burden for lets say to trips

Very nice videos! I watched part 1 and 2. When will the next one be available? Thanks for sharing.
    Jannie de Wet
    Pajero SWB

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jannie de Wet For This Useful Post:

Guys, our last and final segment of our overland trip, as we travel from Magotho to Linyanti along the cutline heading North, and then from Linyanti to Ihaha chobe, also along the cutline. For this part of the trip I strongly recommend if you find yourself doing this trip, to travel with a capable 4x4 as we hit the sand.

https://youtu.be/JXidUdVObac

Name:  4x4ventures_STAGE3_Instagram_Portrt_Thumbnail.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  1.81 MB

Enjoy the episode and thankyou again to the 4x4 community for feedback, questions and all the info regarding Botswana. A trip we will surely do again without a doubt.

Regards
    Ryan

Current
    Previous

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Crocker For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jannie de Wet View Post
    Very nice videos! I watched part 1 and 2. When will the next one be available? Thanks for sharing.
    Hi and thankyou for your feedback. Stage 3 has just been uploaded. Hope you enjoy. Cheers

Current
    Previous

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Crocker For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    Ryan, I beg to differ. A 4x4 is essential for the best parts of Botswana. I realize that you try and qualify your statement but all you do is contradict yourself.

Great video, looking forward to part 2, thank you.
    Hi Rob,

Thanks for your comment, and up to Magotho, on the route we took, and time of year, 4x4 was not essential.

However, this depends on the water levels, and the routes one takes. All the way to Magotho was clear of major water crossings and or thick sand, however, our new episode which has just gone live, when travelling the cutlines, one will definitely need a very capable 4x4.

Ground clearance is essential. The middle mannetjie will get you. Tender trucks have made the cutlines an adventure route. Follow the link in below post for stage 3, and stage 2 was posted here as well, just look for my previous post. Thanks again, and glad you enjoyed episode 1. We'll see you out there.

Kind regards
    Ryan

Current
    Previous

Hi Ryan, I just watched your 3rd video. Great as always.

Just a question, did you deactivate the traction control in the thick sand? It is usually done by holding down the TC button for 5/6 seconds. The light will flash once it has been disabled. By just pressing the button briefly you only deactivate engine braking, ABS braking is still active. I don't get to much time to play around with it, but might have to next week when we do the Nossob Eco 4x4 Route in Kgalagadi.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2