Richtersveld Trip Report May 2019

Default Richtersveld Trip Report May 2019

We have just returned from the Richtersveld and would like to share our first trip report.

Thank you to those members who have posted previous trip reports, it really does assist in ones planning.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rudi
    2014 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE
    Afrispoor Cheetah

Default Re: Richtersveld Trip Report May 2019

Nice report - to what do you attribute the lack of punctures on this trip vs previous?

Besides the Murphys law of actually being prepared for it this time.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

Nice report Rudi. I'm sure those following in your footsteps will be grateful for your info you provided.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Quiksilver View Post
    Nice report - to what do you attribute the lack of punctures on this trip vs previous?

Besides the Murphys law of actually being prepared for it this time.
    Speed and tyre pressure.I was driving to fast, by adhering to the advice of keeping the speed below 80 on those gravel roads leading to Sendelingsdrif and then below 40 in the park worked. I was in to much of a hurry last year to get to Richtersberg. The camping site is small and I wanted to get there before anybody else. Well we never got there as the second puncture was 500m past De Hoop.

I scrolled back on FB and found my post from last year.

Home safe from the best bush trip ever. The Richtersveld was all and more what we expected. Barren desert with the Orange river flowing as the border between SA and Namibia. We had a bit more adventure than expected with diesel pumps out of action and having two punctured tyres which we told that was unrepairable, but if you are 3.5 hours drive away from the nearest assistance, you make a plan. Fellow campers all climbed in, Peter from Hout Bay assisted in plugging the si
    de wall of the tyre with 6 glue sticks, never did we believe it would actually hold for the 42 km back (In the Richtersveld distance is rather measured in hours than km’s) Johan from Durbanville also with a Discovery offered his 2nd spare wheel, unfortunately our wheel nuts did not fit the rim, so it was useless to him as well. The Parks Board staff was very helpful in taking the tyre off the rim and putting it on my rim - the manual way with tyre levers - they deserved their tip, the receptionist informed us that they were about to send a rescue party to assist us and offered a chalet free of charge. A total stranger offered us 20L diesel. We are humbled by all the assistance and camaraderie.

Our love to travel of the beaten track has not been hindered, we are planning to acquire our own off road camper soon - thanks to Mark and Jan Stanford for the use of their supra conquerer with the memory foam mattress
    Rudi
    Afrispoor Cheetah

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rudi P For This Useful Post:

Very nice trip report!

For an iPhone camera you delivered very nice photos too!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mtber For This Useful Post:

Very informative report and good pics!
    You dined well with your Cobb in the Richtersveld.

Care to share what was on the menu during the trip. Potjie looks excellent! Any Cobb tips will be appreciated!
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2019/05/17 at 09:55 PM.

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Dold For This Useful Post:

Rudi baie dankie ek beplan so trip het nou lekke saam julle getoer

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Boslover For This Useful Post:

Thanks Rudi, great report.

By the way, those two Synchro’s you saw were in our 4x4 Action Group convoy but decided to take a different route home. Pierre Eksteen was being towed this time... past Eksteenfontein.... but he sorted his bus out and joined us again in Kakamas.

The Richtersveld is simply awesome !!!!
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

14. The Following User Says Thank You to KurtG For This Useful Post:

Rudi, what a great report and wonderful pics! It looks like you had a marvelous trip. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay at our camp and I have shared your complimentary words with Johan who I know will appreciate your positive feedback. We hope you will come and visit again soon! Regards, Dave
    Dave Lehr
    Richtersveld Wilderness Camp
    Lexus LX470 (OMG did that camelthorn just scratch the pearl duco!?)
    Toyota Landcruiser 80GXP (aaaagh why did I sell it!!?)
    2 x Landrover SIII Shorties (still my favorites - and they keep the tools oiled)
    Plus a couple of Range Rover HSE's and Disco's in my time...but please don't remind me.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Learjet For This Useful Post:

Rudi dankie vir jou raad en gesels oor die foon waardeur groete Shaun

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Boslover For This Useful Post:

Great report Rudi - I must try do one for our trip into Namibia - left home on the 17 April and returned home on the 22July - 16800 km fuel 13,4l per 100km with all tar , dirt , on road and off road , towing the cheetah with a ford ranger 3,2 that developed piston slab along the way ( completed the trip with piston slap) slept in 40 campsite throughout RSA and Namibia - great trip and the cheetah was a dream - few minor problems on the cheetah 1 pressure pump gave hassle until I put a manual override switch , back stabilizer bolt broke/bent , condensation under mattress other than that a great time

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Markdavy For This Useful Post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	829ceffb-a1d6-4edf-8206-1dcae9ddd2f3.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	181.3 KB 
ID:	537818

Markdavy if you think that you going to get away with that as your trip report I suggest you think again Have another crack at it please. We all would lover to hear about it.
    2019 3.0 Prado 150 VX-L 2016 Toyota DC 2.8 GD-6 BL 1381 Ratel 6 Jurgens XT120

23. The Following User Says Thank You to SimonHofmeyr For This Useful Post:

Angry Re: Richtersveld Trip Report May 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi P View Post
    We have just returned from the Richtersveld and would like to share our first trip report.

Thank you to those members who have posted previous trip reports, it really does assist in ones planning.
    Hi Rudi

That is a great report. Thanks for sharing!

Our turn starts this Saturday. We are heading to the Richtersveld for around 10 days with stays in Sendelingsdrift, De Hoop, Kookerboomskloof, Tatasberg, Vioolsdrift and Brandrivier just outside Springbok.

i have a few questions
    1. I have the T4A paper map but the detail of the area is not too good. I have a few much more detailed maps of the Richtersveld printed from the internet. I tried to load T4A on my satnav system in my car but it just would not work so have downloaded maps.me which seems to be ok. Will I be able to get a map of the area in Sendelingsdrift ?How difficult was it finding your way around?
    2. Our 2 longest days are from Sendelingsdrift to De Hoop and on the way out from Tatasberg back to Vioolsdrift via Helshoogte. I take it there are spots to stop for coffee and snacks on the way while we have the BL Miskruijer rental in tow?
    3. Any other tips? We will have 3 spare wheels, one for the van and 2 for the vehicle, 170l of water, and 2 spare Jerry cans. And obviously recovery gear etc.
    4. what are the roads like for towing? Not to keen to take a wrong turn and have to reverse

I’ve read George’s trip report on his trip there too - driving slowly sounds like a very good idea!!
    Thanks again
    Last edited by Voyageur; 2019/08/27 at 07:46 PM.

Very nice indeed. I'm missing that area very much and is thinking of a quick longweekend getaway there.

Voyagear - Sendelingsdrif to Dehoop doesn't take that long at all and there is ample space to pull over. Anywhere you want to really. You shouldn't have any problems towing. Have a look at my video compilation of the various roads to get an idea.
    Last edited by George; 2019/08/28 at 06:15 AM.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

You will receive a map whilst signing in at Sendelingsdrif.
    The campsite in Sendelingsdrif is really not nice, if you have 3 hours spare I would rather pass and go to De Hoop. I say 3 hours, you could do it faster, but this is such an awesome part of the trip, Hand of God, Halfmens trees, Akkedis pass, driving on the river bed, that you may not do this in a hurry.
    Take you passports, just in case.
    Enjoy.
    Rudi
    Afrispoor Cheetah

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Rudi P For This Useful Post:

Lovely trip report and especially nice photos
    DGO Fiddler

29. The Following User Says Thank You to EHoffmann For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Very nice indeed. I'm missing that area very much and is thinking of a quick longweekend getaway there.

Voyagear - Sendelingsdrif to Dehoop doesn't take that long at all and there is ample space to pull over. Anywhere you want to really. You shouldn't have any problems towing. Have a look at my video compilation of the various roads to get an idea.
    I had a look at your YouTube clips yesterday. Really helpful.

Thanks

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Voyageur For This Useful Post: