I got my new toy from Takealot - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: I got my new toy from Takealot

What is a good price.?

Mine is permanently in my car and connected to the lighter socket... When I start the car the fridge comes on, when car is off the fridge is off - Ive set it up this way so as to not drain the battery in every day use... It keeps daily drinks snacks etc but is primarily used for Overland trips to store cold beer and drinks (then it gets connected to the secondary battery).

It has been like this for almost 2 years of continuous on and off without a day's hiccup! Awesome fridge, low amp draw!

For those who store their fridge when not in use, store it with the lid open or raised - this vents all the smells out of it. If you need to store it with the lid closed, get a plastic cup or glass and place some charcoal (that light wood stuff) in it. nothing else.. The charcoal absorbs all the funky smells.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Rob,

D4 SDV6 HSE ARB Bullbar, Compos, BFG 265/65R18s, Big Country drawers, National Luna 52L, Dometic 50L, Spare Wheel Carrier, Roof Rack, Hardshell RTT, FR 50" LED Bar, Lift Rods, Mantec Snorkel, C-TEK Dual batt system, 270 Ostrichwing, Maxtrax, TXG Rock Sliders, IIDtool, shelf

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DETOUR-GP For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Die SwartKat View Post
    I hear you. But consider the following.

A compressor has working parts that needs to be lubricated. It has a little piston for example and probably a little conrod as well.

So why this sounds plausible, is because I am told that the lube is also a type of oil. Maybe it is part of the gas, or something separate.

So if you stop the compressor, all lubricant whatever it is will sink to the bottom of this closed system like a vehicle's oil goes to the sump.

So once started, you will have a few moments of it running dry with with no lube.

This is extra wear and tear and may result in shortened lifespan if done frequently.
    The story about keeping the fridge on was with the absorption type fridges. These used an ammonia based chemical reaction to cool and the reason for keeping them on was to sto rust by having the refrigerant move continuously and thereby stopping rust and flakes that could block the tiny pipes and apertures in the system. That blockage in the system is why it would often get it running again by turning it upside down.

On the compressor fridges there is no benefit keeping them running, the coolant is not a chemical and there is only gas in the system, liquid and in gas form so there is no rusting of internals as well. Fluffy has a point, these units have so many rpm on a compressor and as for starting with the lubricant down in the "sump", if left running it only starts so much more often. Undisturbed the duty cycle is low so more than enough off time for the lubricant to run down.

If you decide to store it off keep the lid slightly open for ventilation and dry the inside properly to avoid mold

Most important is to enjoy every camping trip
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

Would it maybe have benefit to run the fridge every few months if not being used, like running a vehicle aircon in the winter to keep some of the refrigerant pumped down into a liquid and give the seals some use, help stop things getting gummed up/corroded?
    Last edited by Skylark; 2019/06/27 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Would it maybe have benefit to run the fridge every few months if not being used, like running a vehicle aircon in the winter to keep some of the refrigerant pumped down into a liquid and give the seals some use, help stop things getting gummed up/coreoded?
    Camp more often,
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    The story about keeping the fridge on was with the absorption type fridges. These used an ammonia based chemical reaction to cool and the reason for keeping them on was to sto rust by having the refrigerant move continuously and thereby stopping rust and flakes that could block the tiny pipes and apertures in the system. That blockage in the system is why it would often get it running again by turning it upside down.

On the compressor fridges there is no benefit keeping them running, the coolant is not a chemical and there is only gas in the system, liquid and in gas form so there is no rusting of internals as well. Fluffy has a point, these units have so many rpm on a compressor and as for starting with the lubricant down in the "sump", if left running it only starts so much more often. Undisturbed the duty cycle is low so more than enough off time for the lubricant to run down.

If you decide to store it off keep the lid slightly open for ventilation and dry the inside properly to avoid mold

Most important is to enjoy every camping trip
    Mmm this actually makes some sense.
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

Quote Originally Posted by Die SwartKat View Post
    Mmm this actually makes some sense.
    I am not sure if anyone has made this comment but I would have thought that contacting the manufacturer would be the best way to go. This would cover the warranty, also read the instructions

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3