MediaRelease: Ford Ranger Raptor - Birth of a New Breed

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Default Ford Ranger Raptor - Birth of a New Breed

PRETORIA, South Africa, 14 May 2019 - As one of the most highly anticipated new models for 2019, the all-new Ford Ranger Raptor is now officially available in South Africa. With Ford Performance DNA at its core, the Ranger Raptor creates an entirely new breed of exceptionally capable off-road vehicles that pushes the limits in technology, innovation and driving excitement.

"We are excited and proud to unleash the Ford Performance version of the highly successful Ford Ranger, which is also produced at our Silverton Assembly Plant in Pretoria," says Doreen Mashinini, General Manager Marketing at Ford Motor Company of Southern Africa.

"The Ranger Raptor brings a different customer into Ford showrooms, and delivers bold and aggressive styling matched with immense off-road capability that totally rewrites the rules for the 4x4 pickup segment. We have a passion for bringing the best to our customers, and Ranger Raptor showcases the best of Ford Performance's expertise in performance vehicle design and engineering."

Ready to set a new benchmark in high-speed, off-road capability, Ranger Raptor packs a hefty punch in the pickup segment. The commanding presence delivered by the ultimate Ranger's imposing dimensions and extreme styling is supported by a unique Ford Performance chassis optimised for high-speed off-road driving and go-anywhere capability.

No-nonsense exterior

Take one look at the Ranger Raptor, and you know this off-road high-performance pickup means business. Its imposing stance, with 51mm taller ride height, 283mm ground clearance, 150mm wider front and rear track and 850mm wading depth lets you know that this is a serious off-road performance machine. A 32.5-degree approach angle, and ramp-over and departure angles of 24 degrees, provide impressive go-anywhere capability.

Its aggressive grille with the big bold FORD block lettering screams Raptor DNA - the real thing, with genuine Ford Performance design and engineering excellence.

Available in Ford Performance Blue, Colorado Red, Absolute Black, Frozen White and Conquer Grey colours with contrasting Dyno Grey accents, the new Ranger Raptor's aggressive design is driven by performance and functionality.

The front fenders are made from durable composite materials for exciting off-road adventures, while the bumper includes LED fog lamps with air-curtain ducts, which reduce air resistance. The flared shape of the fenders have been designed to accommodate the long-travel suspension and BF Goodrich all-terrain tyres that were specifically developed for the Ranger Raptor.

Performance-bred interior

Step inside Ranger Raptor, and you will enter a world where it is unmistakably Ford Performance. The sports seats are uniquely designed and trimmed in Technical Suede for maximum grip, providing optimum support during high-performance off-road driving, while also providing exceptional comfort when cruising in town.

Other sporting details distinguishing the Ranger Raptor include blue stitching and leather accents, as well as the aggressively-styled instrument cluster with distinctive red needles for the dials that emphasise the race-bred credentials.

The steering wheel features perforated leather hand grip sections, paired with Raptor DNA lightweight magnesium paddle shifters for crisp gear changes. The Raptor logo is debossed into the spoke bezel of the steering wheel and a motorsport-inspired "on-centre" marker - a red stripe at the top-middle of the steering wheel - gives you confidence to know where the wheels are pointing.

Powerful Bi-Turbo performance

Of course, it's not enough to merely look aggressive - a vehicle that looks this good needs to deliver great performance and responsiveness too. To that end, the Ranger Raptor is equipped with the new 2.0-litre Bi-Turbo diesel engine that delivers a maximum of 157kW of power and 500Nm of torque. This innovative power plant offers both high performance and efficiency, thanks to its combination of a small high-pressure turbo and a large low-pressure turbo that work to provide optimal performance throughout the engine speed range.

And you will never have to worry about whether it will be up to the task of handling the stresses of high performance, as the powertrain has been designed from day one for the most powerful and highest stress application. This includes running a torturous thermal cycle on the engine, heating both turbochargers to the point of glowing red for 200 hours non-stop.

The high-grade alloy turbo housing ensures durability up to 860 degrees Celsius exhaust temperature, while the turbo bearings and low-pressure turbo are water cooled to reduce temperature and protect the air induction components.

Unrivalled efficiency

The Ranger Raptor is equipped with Ford's all-new 10-speed automatic transmission, which is created with high-strength steel, aluminium alloys and composites to optimize durability and weight.

Having 10 gears means a wider ratio-span, resulting in better acceleration and responsiveness in all driving conditions, matched to improved fuel efficiency. With more room to optimise gear spacing, gear progression can be customised for more accurate and quicker shifts. It also features real-time adaptive shift-scheduling algorithms engineered to optimise gear selection.

Unique to the Ranger Raptor are steering wheel-mounted magnesium paddle shifters that give the driver ultimate control over the gear change points and driving dynamics.

A tough core

Under the skin, the Ranger Raptor's unique chassis frame is newly-developed and extensively modified for high speeds and endurance in the toughest driving conditions. Built to withstand high-impact off-road encounters, Ranger Raptor's frame consists of various grades of high-strength low-alloy (HSLA) steel, and has been specially designed to support the Ranger Raptor's increased track and wheel travel.

In keeping with its outstanding off-road capabilities, the Ranger Raptor is equipped with an integrated heavy-duty tow bar, which offers a cleaner appearance than the underslung version used on the standard Ranger, while significantly improving the vehicle's departure angle. The design incorporates two easily accessible heavy-duty recovery hooks and gives the Ranger Raptor a 2 500kg towing capacity.

A pair of sturdy recovery hooks are provided at the front of the vehicle too, surrounded by a strong 2.3mm thick bash plate (60-percent thicker than the standard version) made of high-strength steel for enhanced underbody protection for components such as the radiator, power steering system, front cross member, engine sump and front differential.

Tuned for all terrains

To further underline its impressive off-road credentials, the Ranger Raptor's Terrain Management System (TMS) includes an exciting Baja mode, inspired by Mexico's famous Baja Desert Rally, which enables ultra-responsive, high-speed off-road performance. In this mode, vehicle systems like Traction Control are pared back to allow spirited off-road driving without intervention from the vehicle's on-board systems. Gear selection is optimised for maximum performance, and the mapping will hold gears longer and downshift more aggressively.

The Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS) is also linked to the TMS, providing varying levels of assistance and responsiveness according to the specific drive mode selected. The TMS is derived from the system used in the Ford Everest 4x4, and incorporates a full range of drive modes including Normal, Sport, Grass/Gravel/Snow, Mud/Sand and Rock.

Extreme stopping power

When you need to come to a halt, the braking system on the Ranger Raptor offers extreme stopping power through new and bespoke components. Front braking is performed by twin-piston front callipers, increased in piston diameter by more than 20 percent compared with the standard Ranger to 51 mm, along with 332 x 32 mm ventilated discs. Rear braking performance is also enhanced with 54 mm diameter rear callipers and 332 x 24 mm ventilated discs.

In addition, for the first time on a Ranger, the rear brakes include a separate brake actuation master cylinder and booster to increase braking performance.

Withstand any shock

To better handle the crunching jumps and wild rides of your off-road pursuits, the Ranger Raptor boasts Position Sensitive Damping (PSD) shock absorbers exclusively manufactured by FOX for this model. They provide higher damping forces at extremes for unparalleled off-road capability, and lower damping forces in more moderate conditions for a smoother ride on-road. Front wheel travel is increased by 32 percent, and rear travel by 22 percent compared to the standard Ranger.

The high-performance 2.5-inch (63.5 mm) diameter dampers are supported by aluminium control arms, with protruding shock absorber towers at the front. A bespoke new coil-over rear suspension arrangement features an integrated Watt's linkage that allows the axle to move up and down with very little lateral movement. This enables it to tackle tough terrain at high speed while providing exceptional levels of control and comfort - thus delivering the best of both worlds.

Grip for any terrain

To tackle unforgiving terrain, Ranger Raptor's specially developed BF Goodrich 285/70 R17 all-terrain tyres offer a tough sidewall to take on the most formidable environments with confidence, and an aggressive off-road tread pattern that provides outstanding grip in wet, mud, sand and snow conditions.

Safety and convenience first

The Ranger Raptor is loaded with safety and convenience features that make it suitable for both on and off-road driving. A host of driver-assist technologies are available at the push of a button, incorporating unique design features tailored for the Ranger Raptor.

For instance, Ford's standard SYNC®3 with Navigation system offers a unique "breadcrumb" feature to leave a trail in uncharted areas - perfect for the serious off-roader. And safety being a number one priority, Ranger Raptor is equipped with Ford Stability Control (FSC), incorporating Roll Stability Control (RSC) that was specifically developed for Ford's sport utility vehicle (SUV) range, and has been adapted for this exciting new Ford Performance model. It utilises clever sensors to anticipate and minimise oversteer, understeer and rollover incidents.

"The standout experience of the Ranger Raptor, hands down, is how far you can push it off-road versus any other available standard production road vehicle, and still provide amazing ride comfort on-road," says Damien Ross, chief program engineer, Ford Ranger Raptor.

"Everything about the Ranger Raptor builds on the already outstanding sophisticated feel and functional capability of the Ranger, and then goes further. From a driving dynamic fun standpoint, it is really an exceptionally special vehicle that is designed to flatter the novice and genuinely reward the expert."

Recommended Retail Price:

Ranger Raptor 2.0 BiT 10AT 4x4 - R786 400

All Ford Rangers come standard with Ford Protect, comprising a four-year/120 000km comprehensive warranty, three-year/unlimited distance roadside assistance and five-year/unlimited km corrosion warranty. A six-year/90 000km service plan is included, with 15 000km service intervals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dsc_1137-h_1800x1800.jpg 
Views:	998 
Size:	486.1 KB 
ID:	528400   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dsc_1141-h_1800x1800.jpg 
Views:	960 
Size:	509.4 KB 
ID:	528401  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MediaReleases For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Ford Ranger Raptor - Birth of a New Breed

Too expensive for a little 2 litre milk bottle. Power also not the greatest.
    Sent from my iPhone

"Apparently", the off road capabilities of the thing, as I was told, is "unmatched". I know, "they" talk a lot. That is all good if one has R790..odd..K to spend on a toy. Personally I was very disappointed in my test drive of the XLT 2.0BiT with 10spd box. It is a noisy, lazy engine in standard drive and a noisier engine with some power in "S" mode.

Gear selector is all over the place and is not properly channelled. I constantly had to check which gear I am in. As an added irritation, the slot positions are not highlighted next to the gear shift, only on the dash. So if the steering is turned, it obscures the dash layout, so now I must lean forward to peer over the steering wheel to see what gear I am in.

Would I like one, maybe, either with a Ecoboost 2.7 V6 or even the screaming 2.3 Ecoboost, in a manual. Will I ever justify one, no. It is a toy in my books. Let those with cash to spend on toys enjoy it. Secondly, stuff this Auto thing, it is an irritation. When I put my car into 2nd gear I know it is in 2nd gear, and it is there because I want it there, and use it there until I am finished using it there. I now proceed to the next gear I choose to use, and keep it there until I am finished using that.

My Opinion:
    Raptor, a well thought out concept ruined by a still crappy engine and gearbox combination.

...157kW @ 3,750rpm and 500Nm @ 1,750-2,500rpm...so rev it to 3750rpm to get to 157kw or hope the gearbox can take care of the torque in the available 750rpm to get peak torque performance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	torque graph bi T.jpg 
Views:	594 
Size:	123.7 KB 
ID:	528410

Where is the dislike or no thanks tab.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Yussie bakkies are getting moer expensive.
    Regards,

William

D4 v8 --Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Murray Walker
    “I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong.”

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to willben For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    Too expensive for a little 2 litre milk bottle. Power also not the greatest.
    Says the man with a Suzuki, I’m sure your Jimny/Vitara will kick the Raptors a$$ with all of the power available to you…
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Land Cruiser 76 4.5D V8
    Conqueror Compact 2

I don't trust anyone who's nice to me but rude to the Janitor. They lack integrity...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bush Boy For This Useful Post:

Before I will comment I would like a test drive on a dirt stretch of my choice.
    Yes I would like to see it in a petrol engine.
    My final judgement will be after I can lay my hands on one.
    Ford I am willing to do a free test from Kathu to Van Zyls via Tswalu.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bush Boy View Post
    Says the man with a Suzuki, I’m sure your Jimny/Vitara will kick the Raptors a$$ with all of the power available to you…
    Your argument makes no sense at all.
    Sent from my iPhone

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rebel 4x4 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Before I will comment I would like a test drive on a dirt stretch of my choice.
    Yes I would like to see it in a petrol engine.
    My final judgement will be after I can lay my hands on one.
    Ford I am willing to do a free test from Kathu to Van Zyls via Tswalu.
    Jup. I also can’t wait to test that on a proper corrugated dirt road!!!

Yes, for the price the Amarok V6 makes more sense on paper but the Ford’s party trick will be the suspension
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Quote Originally Posted by AntonN View Post
    "Apparently", the off road capabilities of the thing, as I was told, is "unmatched". I know, "they" talk a lot. That is all good if one has R790..odd..K to spend on a toy. Personally I was very disappointed in my test drive of the XLT 2.0BiT with 10spd box. It is a noisy, lazy engine in standard drive and a noisier engine with some power in "S" mode.

Gear selector is all over the place and is not properly channelled. I constantly had to check which gear I am in. As an added irritation, the slot positions are not highlighted next to the gear shift, only on the dash. So if the steering is turned, it obscures the dash layout, so now I must lean forward to peer over the steering wheel to see what gear I am in.

Would I like one, maybe, either with a Ecoboost 2.7 V6 or even the screaming 2.3 Ecoboost, in a manual. Will I ever justify one, no. It is a toy in my books. Let those with cash to spend on toys enjoy it. Secondly, stuff this Auto thing, it is an irritation. When I put my car into 2nd gear I know it is in 2nd gear, and it is there because I want it there, and use it there until I am finished using it there. I now proceed to the next gear I choose to use, and keep it there until I am finished using that.

My Opinion:
    Raptor, a well thought out concept ruined by a still crappy engine and gearbox combination.

...157kW @ 3,750rpm and 500Nm @ 1,750-2,500rpm...so rev it to 3750rpm to get to 157kw or hope the gearbox can take care of the torque in the available 750rpm to get peak torque performance.

Click image for larger version. 

If that is true then Ford again missed a golden oppertunity. And I cannot understand why they dont bring it out in the 2.3 Eco as it is available in the USA.
    Renault Duster 1.5Dci 4WD

17. The Following User Says Thank You to JuanB For This Useful Post:

Personally I was very disappointed in my test drive of the XLT 2.0BiT with 10spd box.
    Do they XLT not only come in SiT?

I thought it was only the Wildtrak that had BiT?
    2020 Ford Everest XLT 2.0 (Swambo)
    2018 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrew123 For This Useful Post:

"Apparently", the off road capabilities of the thing, as I was told, is "unmatched". I know, "they" talk a lot. That is all good if one has R790..odd..K to spend on a toy. Personally I was very disappointed in my test drive of the XLT 2.0BiT with 10spd box. It is a noisy, lazy engine in standard drive and a noisier engine with some power in "S" mode. Gear selector is all over the place and is not properly channelled. I constantly had to check which gear I am in. As an added irritation, the slot positions are not highlighted next to the gear shift, only on the dash. So if the steering is turned, it obscures the dash layout, so now I must lean forward to peer over the steering wheel to see what gear I am in.Would I like one, maybe, either with a Ecoboost 2.7 V6 or even the screaming 2.3 Ecoboost, in a manual. Will I ever justify one, no. It is a toy in my books. Let those with cash to spend on toys enjoy it. Secondly, stuff this Auto thing, it is an irritation. When I put my car into 2nd gear I know it is in 2nd gear, and it is there because I want it there, and use it there until I am finished using it there. I now proceed to the next gear I choose to use, and keep it there until I am finished using that.My Opinion:Raptor, a well thought out concept ruined by a still crappy engine and gearbox combination. ...157kW @ 3,750rpm and 500Nm @ 1,750-2,500rpm...so rev it to 3750rpm to get to 157kw or hope the gearbox can take care of the torque in the available 750rpm to get peak torque performance. Click image for larger version. 

Why do you want to know in what gear you are the whole time? The whole point of a smooth modern auto with so many gears is not to care. And I have two vehicles with 8 speed autos, you don't care, on or off road. You also cant shift better manually than the new autos.

21. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to m0lt3n For This Useful Post:

I was going to ask the same thing. Who cares what gear it is in - it's an auto. Leave it to do it's thing.
    Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - wife's daily
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDI
    VW Touareg - 2009 - V6 TDI
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew123 View Post
    Do they XLT not only come in SiT?

I thought it was only the Wildtrak that had BiT?
    Yes the XLT is a SiT with 132kw and 420nm.
    Kenneth

2020 Mercedes X - Class X250 4x4 Power

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    Your argument makes no sense at all.
    You have just experienced the forum at its best. You are not allowed to have an opinion on ANY vehicle unless you have personally owned one, irrespective of whether or not the crank has broken, despite much evidence,hearsay or documentation to support your opinion.

I own a Ford 2.2, manual so I can a agree with you; the 2.0 l motor bi-turbo only delivers 157 (?? odd) kw. I have a Kia sorento, 2.2 single turbo, that is a 2011 model that deliver s 147 Kw, so when comparing the 2, Ford bi-turbo 2019 model, I agree, the new motor does not seem to be anything exciting, especially for what the car costs.

Even my 2016 Ford 2.2 does not compare to the Kia although they are both the same size and back then, the costs were comparable.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to NewLandy For This Useful Post:

Had a look at the Raptor at Huntex again. From a styling point of view it is a really good looking vehicle. I really like the looks. Would love to drive one and then stop next to a (actually a lot of those out there) 2.2 Ranger with a Raptor kit

Drove the 2.0 Wildtrack two weeks ago. My first impression was that I would rather have it in 3.2, but the 10-speed does make a difference. Not what I am used to but I think after a few weeks behind the steering wheel one will be able to get the best out of that gearbox with a slightly adjusted driving style.

The engine. I cannot fault it, but no wow factor. Really not bad for a 2.0L, but only time will tell.

I would not mind driving a Ranger or Everest with the 2.0l engine. I do feel that the Raptor badge should justify something with a bit more grunt.

That being said, engines are only one component of Raptor models. Usually the big surprise lies with the suspension. I know the F150 Raptor has an amazing suspension set up (Plus a 3.5 V6 ecoboost)...

Wow how spoilt have we become.
    a 2l engine that makes ONLY 157 kw and 500nm.
    20 years ago that was unheard of or unthinkable almost.
    a 3l v6 essex that made 103 kw and around 280 nm was the bees knees. Now people complain about the only about a third more power that a 2l diesel makes.

humans are weird.
    Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - wife's daily
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDI
    VW Touareg - 2009 - V6 TDI
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

29. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Stephan van Tonder For This Useful Post:

People put way too much trust and emphasis on an engines power specs.

There is much more to how a car performs than that. Something that is difficult to put on paper is responsiveness. We often make comments like “this engine feels lively, or lazy” etc.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2019/05/15 at 09:20 AM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

I think that the Ranger Raptor is a great idea, the bakkie market has been pretty predictable and boring for a long time, new models are barely any different to their predecessors and there is very little product differentiation. For even mild off road use, all of the current bakkies need to be modified (suspension and tyres at the very least) and it seems that future generations are only going to get worse. Ford come along and for R 100k more than a glammed up "not so wildtrack" you get proper (and it does seem to be proper) off road / rough road suspension with decent ground clearance, proper off road tyres and decent brakes in a luxury package with a modern fuel efficient engine. This is such good news for the 4x4 fraternity, the first local bakkie designed for leisure as opposed to construction sites.

I am keen to see how well the suspension performs with "normal" holiday loads, if it works well then the Raptor is a no brainer if you enjoy the practicality of a bakkie.
    Last edited by TOY4X4; 2019/05/15 at 10:19 AM.

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TOY4X4 For This Useful Post:

It will sell like hotcakes and after a year or 2 the second hand market will be flooded with them.

The launch is tomorrow in Upington, the creator of the Ford Ranger/Everest FB group got an invite to join the launch.
    Current: 2018 Ford Ranger 2.2 XLT AT DC 4x2 with 1985 Jurgens Fleetline L
    Sold: 2015 Ford Ranger 2.2 XL MT DC 4x2, Sold: 2013 Ford Focus 1.6 5DR Trend, Sold: 2010 Ford Ranger 2.5TD Supercab, Sold: 2007 Ford Bantam 1.6 XLE, Sold: 2006 Ford Focus 1.6 5DR Sport

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluefin06 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast