Amarok 2L vs V6





Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: Amarok 2L vs V6

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    53
    Posts
    347
    Thanked: 51

    Default Amarok 2L vs V6

    Hi

    I know there has been a thread with quite some chat about the differences between these two as well as some pro's and con's, some by guys who have owned both, but I have searched and can not find the thread. If anybody knows the thread name, please post it here.

    If anybody who has owned both is in a mood to give their comments please do. I realise power wise there is no comparison, but I'm interested in differences in fuel general consumption, handle, feel, and just how they differ in day to day use.

    Much appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Windhoek
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,882
    Thanked: 4092

    Default Re: Amarok 2L vs V6

    Quote Originally Posted by idea40 View Post
    Hi

    I know there has been a thread with quite some chat about the differences between these two as well as some pro's and con's, some by guys who have owned both, but I have searched and can not find the thread. If anybody knows the thread name, please post it here.

    If anybody who has owned both is in a mood to give their comments please do. I realise power wise there is no comparison, but I'm interested in differences in fuel general consumption, handle, feel, and just how they differ in day to day use.

    Much appreciated.
    As I've said on the other thread. The 2l Bi-TDI auto Amarok is the best DC on the market in general all-round use. I will buy one any day of the week.

    But then I will always look at the V6 with envy. So V6 it will be
    Gert Grobler

    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: Amarok 2L vs V6

    It's simple, if you not towing anything heavy get the 2.0 otherwise v6 for the win!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vanderbijlpark
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,476
    Thanked: 793

    Default Re: Amarok 2L vs V6

    I owned a 2L and have drive my dad's V6 extensively.

    Beside the power, which is a massive difference, the V6 is much more refined and less noisy, especially at cold start ups.

    Fuel consumption is more or less the same as the 2.0, but quite a bit better on the highway.

    The biggest advantage for the V6 is while towing, it really is effortless.

    Negatives:
    1st gear could have been longer, it really is way too short.

    Induction noise is higher than the 2.0, but then it is a nice noise, so no problem.

    For most people the 2.0 would just fine, as it did for me in the 4 years I had it. But, the V6 is just so much better. Overtaking at speed for example, is simply in another class. The way it goes from 100 to silly speeds is astonishing. The fact that it doesn't use more fuel is also a plus. Only downside is the higher price, but if you can afford it, just get it and be done.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to clubbie For This Useful Post:


  6. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    53
    Posts
    347
    Thanked: 51

    Default Re: Amarok 2L vs V6

    Thanks for the replies so far. Itching...

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    53
    Posts
    347
    Thanked: 51

    Default Re: Amarok 2L vs V6

    Are you guys sure the V6 fuel consumption is similar to the 2L auto and even better on highways..?
    Last edited by idea40; 2019/05/14 at 06:50 PM.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to idea40 For This Useful Post:


  9. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    57
    Posts
    200
    Thanked: 18

    Default Re: Amarok 2L vs V6

    Quote Originally Posted by idea40 View Post
    Are you guys sure the V6 fuel consumption is similar to the 2L auto and even better on highways..?
    The 3.0 is definitely not heavier than the 2.0 on fuel. If anything, it does better than the 2.0, especially at higher speeds.

    I don't agree with the comments that the 3.0 is more refined than the 2.0. I agree that outside the vehicle, it sounds a lot better. But from the inside, the 2.0 wins when it comes to refinement. I never felt any vibration from the 2.0l engine. With the 3.0, it is not uncommon when in gear to feel a slight vibration through the steering and seat when idling in gear. The gearbox (especially downshifts), is harsher with the 3.0.

    The ride quality of the 2.0 is much better than that of the 3.0. The 3.0 is much bumpier over uneven surfaces and add bigger wheels (17" vs 19") to that and the ride quality of the 3.0 is disappointing (for Amarok standards at least).

    Two friends with 3.0's had warned me that I'll experience a vast improvement in engine performance and fuel consumption once the engine has been run in. That is absolutely true. The 3.0 was drinking diesel during the first 1,000 kms like crazy and the performance was disappointing. But after 5,000 km, it is a totally different story.

    The seats of the 3.0 Ultimate are fantastic. The best seats I've ever had in a vehicle were those in the Range Rover. The Ultimate's seats are almost as good.

    The pulling power of the 3.0 is amazing.

    Bottom line is that despite the awesomeness of the 3.0, it confirms what an excellent vehicle the 2.0 is.

    The 3.0 has an interesting quirk - the engine is sometimes noticeably noisier under light acceleration than other times. The engine sound chances, almost like a pinging petrol engine. It comes and goes and there is no noticeable pattern as far as I can tell. A friend experiences the same with his 3.0.
    2019 Amarok 3.0 Extreme Auto with Roll-n-Lock tonneau cover.
    Gone: 2013 Amarok 2.0 Auto
    2018 Audi SQ5
    Gone: 2015 Audi S8

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to 949BFN For This Useful Post:


  11. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vanderbijlpark
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,476
    Thanked: 793

    Default Re: Amarok 2L vs V6

    Quote Originally Posted by 949BFN View Post
    The 3.0 is definitely not heavier than the 2.0 on fuel. If anything, it does better than the 2.0, especially at higher speeds.

    I don't agree with the comments that the 3.0 is more refined than the 2.0. I agree that outside the vehicle, it sounds a lot better. But from the inside, the 2.0 wins when it comes to refinement. I never felt any vibration from the 2.0l engine. With the 3.0, it is not uncommon when in gear to feel a slight vibration through the steering and seat when idling in gear. The gearbox (especially downshifts), is harsher with the 3.0.

    The ride quality of the 2.0 is much better than that of the 3.0. The 3.0 is much bumpier over uneven surfaces and add bigger wheels (17" vs 19") to that and the ride quality of the 3.0 is disappointing (for Amarok standards at least).

    Two friends with 3.0's had warned me that I'll experience a vast improvement in engine performance and fuel consumption once the engine has been run in. That is absolutely true. The 3.0 was drinking diesel during the first 1,000 kms like crazy and the performance was disappointing. But after 5,000 km, it is a totally different story.

    The seats of the 3.0 Ultimate are fantastic. The best seats I've ever had in a vehicle were those in the Range Rover. The Ultimate's seats are almost as good.

    The pulling power of the 3.0 is amazing.

    Bottom line is that despite the awesomeness of the 3.0, it confirms what an excellent vehicle the 2.0 is.

    The 3.0 has an interesting quirk - the engine is sometimes noticeably noisier under light acceleration than other times. The engine sound chances, almost like a pinging petrol engine. It comes and goes and there is no noticeable pattern as far as I can tell. A friend experiences the same with his 3.0.
    My dad fitted his 17s from his 2.0 to the V6, and it drives almost exactly the same. It is slightly harder, but you are comparing a new car to a 3 year old one. His engine is also smoother than what my 2.0 was.

    One negative I forgot about, is the irratic idling when stationary. It will sometimes go from 800 to over 1000rpm. Apparently this is normal.

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kathu
    Age
    59
    Posts
    9,496
    Thanked: 3005

    Default Re: Amarok 2L vs V6

    The orgasm in a v6 is 10 minutes longer than in a 2.0l.

    Have seen them both offroad no comparison. The v6 is one mean dune machine. Crawling rocks you cannot beat low down torque. The v6 have more of that.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:


  14. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    53
    Posts
    347
    Thanked: 51

    Default Re: Amarok 2L vs V6

    Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    the orgasm in a v6 is 10 minutes longer than in a 2.0l.
    ;d;d;d

  15. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Putfontein, Benoni
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,820
    Thanked: 1980

    Default Re: Amarok 2L vs V6

    Quote Originally Posted by clubbie View Post

    One negative I forgot about, is the irratic idling when stationary. It will sometimes go from 800 to over 1000rpm. Apparently this is normal.
    it's the DPF cleaning cycle.
    Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - wife's daily
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDI
    VW Touareg - 2009 - V6 TDI
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

  16. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Vanderbijlpark
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,476
    Thanked: 793

    Default Re: Amarok 2L vs V6

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephan van Tonder View Post
    it's the DPF cleaning cycle.
    Ah, OK.

  17. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Windhoek
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,882
    Thanked: 4092

    Default Re: Amarok 2L vs V6

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephan van Tonder View Post
    it's the DPF cleaning cycle.
    I've not noticed this in the Touareg.
    Gert Grobler

    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

  18. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Putfontein, Benoni
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,820
    Thanked: 1980

    Default Re: Amarok 2L vs V6

    Nys, despite the engine in your treg being roughly similar - it is a number of years earlier , some of the emissions laws has changed in between and there was the whole diesel gate. So how stuff was implemented in your touareg and how it is implemented in the current amaroks is quite different. Often there are a lot of differences even just between how stuff is done between one range of engines form say a golf to a polo just because of the platform they are in even though they share a basic motor.
    You can't simply say hey I have a 3l v6 it must do everything the latest version of them does in a different platform.
    Last edited by Stephan van Tonder; 2019/05/15 at 08:25 AM.
    Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - wife's daily
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDI
    VW Touareg - 2009 - V6 TDI
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

  19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stephan van Tonder For This Useful Post:


  20. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    46
    Posts
    46
    Thanked: 5

    Default Re: Amarok 2L vs V6

    Quote Originally Posted by idea40 View Post
    Hi

    I know there has been a thread with quite some chat about the differences between these two as well as some pro's and con's, some by guys who have owned both, but I have searched and can not find the thread. If anybody knows the thread name, please post it here.

    If anybody who has owned both is in a mood to give their comments please do. I realise power wise there is no comparison, but I'm interested in differences in fuel general consumption, handle, feel, and just how they differ in day to day use.

    Much appreciated.
    Buy the V6 had both, yes thirstier but you will get 10km/L if you keep to the speed limit Roof racks and bigger wheels make it heavier on fuel and influence the top speed

  21. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    1,240
    Thanked: 180

    Default Re: Amarok 2L vs V6

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephan van Tonder View Post
    Nys, despite the engine in your treg being roughly similar - it is a number of years earlier , some of the emissions laws has changed in between and there was the whole diesel gate. So how stuff was implemented in your touareg and how it is implemented in the current amaroks is quite different. Often there are a lot of differences even just between how stuff is done between one range of engines form say a golf to a polo just because of the platform they are in even though they share a basic motor.
    You can't simply say hey I have a 3l v6 it must do everything the latest version of them does in a different platform.
    You seem to be quite clued up when it comes to VAG engines. My V6 Rok has a slight (and annoying) whine between 1000 and 1200 rpm. Also happens when in park and I wind it up, so not the gearbox. Should I be worried and have it checked out?

  22. #17
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    East London
    Age
    68
    Posts
    2,434
    Thanked: 3098

    Default Re: Amarok 2L vs V6

    Just for interest sake - the VAG 3.0 TDi engine is capable of much more than it provides in the current vehicles:

    The most exciting news on the engine front however is the release of a diesel-powered S4 TDI, which get a 255kW, 700Nm version of the VW Group’s 3-litre TDI engine. This oil-burning TDI sprints from zero to 100km/h in just 4.8 seconds, according to claims.
    Lag-free acceleration is assured by an electric compressor, which forms part of the vehicle’s 48-volt main electrical system.
    https://www.iol.co.za/motoring/lates...iesel-23257761
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

    2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

  23. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Putfontein, Benoni
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,820
    Thanked: 1980

    Default Re: Amarok 2L vs V6

    Quote Originally Posted by Makaira View Post
    You seem to be quite clued up when it comes to VAG engines. My V6 Rok has a slight (and annoying) whine between 1000 and 1200 rpm. Also happens when in park and I wind it up, so not the gearbox. Should I be worried and have it checked out?

    I always hate commenting on noises on forums etc as one cannot gauge where it comes from, how loud it is etc. etc and so to say if it worth worrying about etc. is impossible. But if you have any doubts pop past a VW dealer and let them listen to it. Or see if you can find another owner and compare to his.
    Last edited by Stephan van Tonder; 2019/05/20 at 12:24 PM.
    Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - wife's daily
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDI
    VW Touareg - 2009 - V6 TDI
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

  24. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Benoni
    Age
    61
    Posts
    537
    Thanked: 242

    Default Re: Amarok 2L vs V6

    I own a 2.0 tdi Tiguan and 3.0 tdi Touareg:

    I am a 3 liter slut...... I confessed your honour

    It is such a magnificent engine with so much flexibility, brilliant towing engine....
    Find the solutions, not the problems.

  25. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Putfontein, Benoni
    Age
    52
    Posts
    2,820
    Thanked: 1980

    Default Re: Amarok 2L vs V6

    I have said for years and years it is one of the WAG group's best engines ever. I really love them.
    Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - wife's daily
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDI
    VW Touareg - 2009 - V6 TDI
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •