Re-using filler and drain plug gaskets





Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Milnerton
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9
    Thanked: 1

    Question Re-using filler and drain plug gaskets

    I'm looking at servicing my gear oil (Pajero III V6 3.5) and need to know if the diff/trans-case drain-fill gaskets are re-usable ?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasolburg
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,730
    Thanked: 497

    Default Re: Re-using filler and drain plug gaskets

    I wouldn't risk it, you have too much to lose when a leaking gasket starts it's nonsense. Why re-use? they are cheap enough.
    If Force is not the solution, not enough of it was applied....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Milnerton
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Re-using filler and drain plug gaskets

    Phoned Imperial Mitsu:

    Apparently each plug needs 2 washers:
    6x R21.75 - copper washer
    6x R22.30 - aluminium washer

    R264 for everything. :/ seems rather expensive but will go this route.
    Last edited by LKruger; 2019/05/14 at 03:57 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Walmer Heights, Port Elizabeth
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,723
    Thanked: 83

    Default Re: Re-using filler and drain plug gaskets

    i am sure it would be cheaper to buy a set of copper washers from Addendorf or Midas?
    Owned
    1999 Colt Rodeo 3.0 V6 4x4-Build
    2005 Chevrolet Lumina UTE SS 5.7 V8 Auto - Build
    Sold
    1998 Pajero Gen 2 SWB 3.0 V6 4x4 - Resurrection
    1997 Ford Ranchero Outback 4.0 4x2 -
    Build
    1979 Landrover Series 3 88" Ford 3.0 V6 4x4- Build
    1980 Landrover Range Rover 3.5 V8 4x4 - Build
    1979 Landrover S2A 109" with Chev 4.1 4x4

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Racer-X For This Useful Post:


  6. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Milnerton
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Re-using filler and drain plug gaskets

    Quote Originally Posted by Racer-X View Post
    i am sure it would be cheaper to buy a set of copper washers from Addendorf or Midas?
    Very likely.
    I might go that route once I take the old washers out and can match them against the aftermarket ones.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Fraserburg
    Age
    60
    Posts
    699
    Thanked: 648

    Default Re: Re-using filler and drain plug gaskets

    Quote Originally Posted by LKruger View Post
    Phoned Imperial Mitsu:

    Apparently each plug needs 2 washers:
    6x R21.75 - copper washer
    6x R22.30 - aluminium washer

    R264 for everything. :/ seems rather expensive but will go this route.
    The cost of a big breakfast and coffee for two at a franchise restaurant is worth more than the peace of mind regarding your engine?
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Olyfboer For This Useful Post:


  9. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Somerset West
    Age
    33
    Posts
    988
    Thanked: 85

    Default Re: Re-using filler and drain plug gaskets

    I've had pretty bad luck reusing old sump plug gaskets on our old Toyota Conquest. Always leaks on second use...
    Just check as to why some are aluminium and not copper (vice versa). Could be material difference to prevent galvanic corrosion or something like that
    2009 Pajero Sport 3.2DiD

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4,407
    Thanked: 664

    Default Re: Re-using filler and drain plug gaskets

    I've been using the old washers for a 2nd time for years, on all my vehicles.

    Never ever had a problem and have never lost a drop of oil.
    Nico Swart

    Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

    One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

  11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Die SwartKat For This Useful Post:


  12. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Fraserburg
    Age
    60
    Posts
    699
    Thanked: 648

    Default Re: Re-using filler and drain plug gaskets

    Quote Originally Posted by Die SwartKat View Post
    I've been using the old washers for a 2nd time for years, on all my vehicles.

    Never ever had a problem and have never lost a drop of oil.
    Probably because you don't overtighten like most South Africans do. The standard to tighten anything in SA is to turn until it strips the thread and then a quarter turn back.
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Olyfboer For This Useful Post:


  14. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Somerset West
    Age
    33
    Posts
    988
    Thanked: 85

    Default Re: Re-using filler and drain plug gaskets

    Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    Probably because you don't overtighten like most South Africans do. The standard to tighten anything in SA is to turn until it strips the thread and then a quarter turn back.
    That might be why mine leaked on second use as I torqued them to spec. My one friend said just tighten it like 10Nm more if it was going in to a steel oil pan. Could work but I don't like it.
    2009 Pajero Sport 3.2DiD

  15. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    52
    Posts
    126
    Thanked: 105

    Default Re: Re-using filler and drain plug gaskets

    I always have a variety of copper washers available. I check the washer to see if it has damage or the potential to leak. Engine sump washers which are removed and re-installed more often are more likely to have damage and if there is any doubt I replace them. Gearbox drain and filler washers are removed far less and it has been my experience that they are far less likely to have damage. If there is no visible damage I re-use them. I have never had a leak.

    I have a problem paying a premium for a copper washer that Mitsubishi or any other car manufacturer (sourced from someone else) is now selling as original equipment spares.

    Believe me you are not going to compromise your engine or gearbox using a non-oem copper washer. The worst that could happen is a very slow leak and the irritation of having to clean that up and replace the washer. Rather spend the difference on better oil.

    Seeing as you are replacing the oil yourself you should check for leaks a day later in any event, regardless of if you replaced the washer with a new one or not.

    It is not a good idea to torque the plugs over spec. Rather replace the washer with a new one if you are in doubt. It is through repeated over tightening that the threads start getting damage and eventually strip. Particularly in Aluminium.
    Last edited by Mars67; 2019/05/16 at 06:34 AM.

  16. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4,407
    Thanked: 664

    Default Re: Re-using filler and drain plug gaskets

    Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    Probably because you don't overtighten like most South Africans do. The standard to tighten anything in SA is to turn until it strips the thread and then a quarter turn back.
    I must say I am very aware on the over tightening stuff even though I don't even own a torque wrench.

    Maybe I just have a natural feeling for when something is tight enough, maybe I got lucky.

    But I have always serviced all my vehicles (8 of them) and when the manufacturer requires it. That's a lot of washers over the years. No problem.

    Very few things that p$sses me off more than to strip something.
    Nico Swart

    Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

    One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

  17. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4,407
    Thanked: 664

    Default Re: Re-using filler and drain plug gaskets

    Quote Originally Posted by Mars67 View Post
    I always have a variety of copper washers available. I check the washer to see if it has damage or the potential to leak. Engine sump washers which are removed and re-installed more often are more likely to have damage and if there is any doubt I replace them. Gearbox drain and filler washers are removed far less and it has been my experience that they are far less likely to have damage. If there is no visible damage I re-use them. I have never had a leak.I have a problem paying a premium for a copper washer that Mitsubishi or any other car manufacturer (sourced from someone else) is now selling as original equipment spares.Believe me you are not going to compromise your engine or gearbox using a non-oem copper washer. The worst that could happen is a very slow leak and the irritation of having to clean that up and replace the washer. Rather spend the difference on better oil.Seeing as you are replacing the oil yourself you should check for leaks a day later in any event, regardless of if you replaced the washer with a new one or not.It is not a good idea to torque the plugs over spec. Rather replace the washer with a new one if you are in doubt. It is through repeated over tightening that the threads start getting damage and eventually strip. Particularly in Aluminium.

    Agree with absolutely everything here.
    Last edited by Die SwartKat; 2019/05/16 at 03:14 PM.
    Nico Swart

    Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

    One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

  18. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Malmesbury
    Age
    60
    Posts
    976
    Thanked: 114

    Default Re: Re-using filler and drain plug gaskets

    why the most men overtighten the sump plugs is that they think it could leak,

    it is a natural thing ,i have used the same washers over and over again ,might be lucky and as SWARTKAT said if you have the feeling to tighten bolts you are ok then,

    if a plug starts to seat then it i just give it a slightly more pressure ,thats it .

    Colt clubcab 2.8tdi 4x4 2005
    Ford Fiesta 1.4i (SWAMBO]
    jurgens off road trailor xt 140
    opel corsa 1.7 dti 2006

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Alberto For This Useful Post:


  20. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Somerset West
    Age
    33
    Posts
    988
    Thanked: 85

    Default Re: Re-using filler and drain plug gaskets

    Quote Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
    why the most men overtighten the sump plugs is that they think it could leak,

    it is a natural thing ,i have used the same washers over and over again ,might be lucky and as SWARTKAT said if you have the feeling to tighten bolts you are ok then,

    if a plug starts to seat then it i just give it a slightly more pressure ,thats it .
    This sounds like a good strategy because if you over tighten it the first time that washer is doomed from the start
    2009 Pajero Sport 3.2DiD

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •