DIY Roof Rack

Thread: DIY Roof Rack

Lightbulb DIY Roof Rack

Hi there everyone,

I'm currently busy with prep for a trip and realized a roof rack will be very beneficial.

Now,
    I am considering building one for my canopy with the "Connect-It" system and 25mm alu square tubing.
    I will be reinforcing it with 25mmx2mm Angle Iron.
    The heaviest item on it will probably be 2 jerry cans and a shovel/axe.

I was wondering if I can mount the whole rack flat onto the roof without any "Legs" coming down. My reasoning behind this is to add support in the middle of the rack, I will be placing 2mm thick rubber underneath the parts where it will be touching the canopy and drilling straight through and bolting it to the roof.

I cannot see it causing any problems other than maybe scuffing up the paint but I'm not too bothered about that.

I would appreciate some advice regarding the matter.

P.S photo is just eye candy
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Ride The Lightning."

Default Re: DIY Roof Rack

I would give it legs, being able to put a rope/strap under the tubing is always a nice option to have, if you do not want to buy the “leg” moldings just give it some space with washers/spacers. Do you have a aluminum canopy or fiberglass? Be careful to overload a fiberglass canopy. If you give it legs every 600mm I don’t think it will bend. Otherwise mount it flat with foam rubber under it on canopy. Space between canopy and roof rack is a good space to store table or solar panels

3. The Following User Says Thank You to emileheyns For This Useful Post:

Default Re: DIY Roof Rack

Quote Originally Posted by emileheyns View Post
    I would give it legs, being able to put a rope/strap under the tubing is always a nice option to have, if you do not want to buy the “leg” moldings just give it some space with washers/spacers. Do you have a aluminum canopy or fiberglass? Be careful to overload a fiberglass canopy. If you give it legs every 600mm I don’t think it will bend. Otherwise mount it flat with foam rubber under it on canopy. Space between canopy and roof rack is a good space to store table or solar panels
    I have a steel canopy. A space for solar panels would be nice though. I don't think that I would ever exceed 80KGs on the rack just because of the roof. At most it would be 2 Jerry cans and some camping gear (chairs, gazebo, shovel, etc.)
    "Ride The Lightning."