Broken bushwing arm - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Broken bushwing arm

Great, Glad to see contact has been made. If the welding is done properly, this should never be an issue again.
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

Is it steel or aluminium?

Aluminium.
    Bush Lapa Miskruier: B116

Aluminium always carries a higher chance of cracking on welds. It has a double whammy effect against it. Just saying, ally isnít steel when it comes to welding

Quote Originally Posted by frans k View Post
    I have again spoken to the guys at BL. The arm will be re-welded. Thanks.

If you mix sh%t and icecream its still scheisse , hope they do better weld this time.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

More than a page on how bad BL welding is and how this should not happen and ...and.... ...

We are quick to forget that these units are hand built by human machines, those machines have their off days, flat batteries over lubrication after a weekend all sorts of cold start issues. I am sure that this was not planned and this can happen to any manufacturer or person.
    Had Jannie ignored or sent the OP away without helping I would be surprised and would have helped crucify him in his trail by forum, but he didn't. I am not a BL representative but know Jannie well enough.

Welding aluminium is often referred to as being a combination of witchcraft and science, slight understatement but close. I wonder how many of the folks commenting on the bad welding can do better. I do alu welding and believe me one moment the work is too cold and the next it is liquid on your foot, that happy balance can sometimes be very elusive
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    More than a page on how bad BL welding is and how this should not happen and ...and.... ...

We are quick to forget that these units are hand built by human machines, those machines have their off days, flat batteries over lubrication after a weekend all sorts of cold start issues. I am sure that this was not planned and this can happen to any manufacturer or person.
    Had Jannie ignored or sent the OP away without helping I would be surprised and would have helped crucify him in his trail by forum, but he didn't. I am not a BL representative but know Jannie well enough.

Welding aluminium is often referred to as being a combination of witchcraft and science, slight understatement but close. I wonder how many of the folks commenting on the bad welding can do better. I do alu welding and believe me one moment the work is too cold and the next it is liquid on your foot, that happy balance can sometimes be very elusive
    Your words are very true! Looking at the welds on the BushLapa it is actually unbelieveable that most/all of it is done by hand and not a machine, and the quality thereof excellent. One must also keep user normal usage/abuse in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by HJB01 View Post
    Your words are very true! Looking at the welds on the BushLapa it is actually unbelieveable that most/all of it is done by hand and not a machine, and the quality thereof excellent. One must also keep user normal usage/abuse in mind.
    Die lang manne wat so heeltyd in hulle wings vasloop... Something must give... .
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

Hahaha, nee darem nie waar nie. Onthou my wing is spesiaal met so 5cm gelig in die fabriek...... Die arm het gebreek heel op die einde van ons Namibie trip, lank, lank gelede. My vermoede is dat dit 'n kombinasie was van moontlike oorsake waaronder 'n swak sweislas is, vibrasie op die arm op die Namibiese paaie, dak wat opgelig word nadat die wing oopgemaak was, ens, ens. Ek is nie bereid om te se dit was 'n fabrieksfout nie, daar was te veel veranderlikes en ander eksterne faktore wat die arm beinvloed het.

Ek gaan op 'n leer moet klim om my kop teen die wing te stamp...
    Last edited by Kooskop; 2019/05/16 at 09:33 PM.
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

I'd be concerned. Joining tubes doesn't bug me, but welded joints giving up is catastrophic, and means something has gone very wrong. If this type of welding is on any critical section on the van and fails like this under stress it could cost lives while at tow. The appearance of a weld has very little to so with its integrity, its called a weld cap and is aesthetically pleasing, but does very little for the weld itself if the root run (and in some cases filler) was not done properly. The manner in which these are dome is critical. I'd ask the fabricator for his welding procedure on this type of material and all.diameter tubes used on the product, possiblity also the welder qualification of the person who worked on it, but with that being said I am not sure how good their in-house QC system is, they might not have these records, as is the requirement for construction projects. It does appear to be a fuse and not a weld as such, the difference being a fuse merely joints two sections using heat only, a weld involves preparing the ends of the two sections properly and using an additional filler material to fill and join the pieces. In my books. If I had to write a welding procedure for this type of fabrication, these pics would be proof that a number of steps have been skipped, and some heads would roll, there could be some explanations, but none would be acceptable if a sound QC plan is in place and being executed.
    *** Removed ***

Bit of a storm in a teacup?

I am a proud Bush Lapa owner but also do a bit of aluminium welding. That weld was a poor effort. No need to try justify it. People make mistakes but the difference come in how it gets rectified. I am sure BL will deliver.

Isuzu KB300 4x4 D/C
    KTM 1050 Adventure
    BL Boskriek #659

15. The Following User Says Thank You to WeskusKlong For This Useful Post:

Alu welding is a pain at it best, done a few myself and got the T-shirt.
    Had the experience that Henk describes a few times, learned the hard way.
    Would have done it differently
    Cut the sides at a 45 angle, not 90 as these - allows for a longer weld and thus stronger.
    Drilled two holes opposite each other both sides of the weld
    Slipped a piece of sq bar inside the tube that fits snugly (or sq tube) that extends about 50-75 mm past the weld.
    Then welded the joint and welded inside the two holes the inner tube to the outer.
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT 4x4 - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT 4x4 - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

Henk

It has been some time since the original post and the OP has not come back to say the fault was resolved and nor has Jannie come to the forum to explain, after all his company has sold a lot of different models on this forum thanks to Kooskop.

My dilemma on this subject is not about the welding quality it is about WHY, Aluminium square tubing 25x25 is extruded in 6m lengths that is almost 20 foot.
    What tube in an awning is more than 6 meters in length, none that I know of, there fore what reason would you weld up a length to make up the size required when you could have just as well used a solid length. Unless one is welding up off cuts to make a length required and if that is the case you would agree with me in the industry it is very poor and just not acceptable, considering that we are talking about a product costing more than ZAR300k,

http://www.overlandworx.com

Take Care
    Stay frosty (Be alert at all times: We Live in a war zone)
    Peter Street

2013 Disco 4 SDV6 HSE 8sp AKA " Gr8 White Induna"

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tgwinduna For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tgwinduna View Post
    Henk

It has been some time since the original post and the OP has not come back to say the fault was resolved and nor has Jannie come to the forum to explain, after all his company has sold a lot of different models on this forum thanks to Kooskop.

My dilemma on this subject is not about the welding quality it is about WHY, Aluminium square tubing 25x25 is extruded in 6m lengths that is almost 20 foot.
    What tube in an awning is more than 6 meters in length, none that I know of, there fore what reason would you weld up a length to make up the size required when you could have just as well used a solid length. Unless one is welding up off cuts to make a length required and if that is the case you would agree with me in the industry it is very poor and just not acceptable, considering that we are talking about a product costing more than ZAR300k,
    I share your disappointment, I would also have hoped that there would have been some feed back although I did not really expect it. You are quite right in hoping for full length frames but in reality the awning is wider than the perfect 2m so you are always going to have an off cut of more than 1m, with the quantities they use it can get expensive, wholesale a length of 25x2 rounded corner is going to set you back about R 220-00.

Had it been a normal tig weld it might have been better, maybe Michael can get some clearance. Welds can fail and Monday morning ones often do but...............that should not have been welded, maybe the bottom one that is in compression but not the top strut. You are right
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

20. The Following User Says Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

I know BL was in contact with the OP. Cannot comment on the lack of feedback from the OP. The design of the wing arms were changed a few years ago. No square tubing in the new design. There are no joints and it is stronger and lighter. There are different schools of thought on whether manufacturers should actively keep up with and provide feedback on all social media platforms. They do have their own FB that they manage.

I cannot comment on behalf of anyone but for me personally, I would prefer that they stick to what they do best and keep building amazing units, provide excellent after sales service and actively address any issues that BL clients bring to their attention. Word of mouth should take care of the rest. As I said, just my personal opinion...
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    BMW F800GS

........., wholesale a length of 25x2 rounded corner is going to set you back about R 220-00. ........
    A weld properly done will cost you more than the material saving.
    '89 LR 110 V8

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike N For This Useful Post:

See post #20 re feedback. The broken arm is being fixed by BL.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2