Safety/health telephone numbers & addresses for our trip to SA and Namibia

Default Safety/health telephone numbers & addresses for our trip to SA and Namibia

Hello,

Within two weeks we will kick off in JHB for a three month road trip through South-Africa (western part) and Namibia with our three kids (3, 4 and 6 years old). We'll drive a rented Hilux double cab and we'll stay most of times in remote campsites (mostly national parks) as we like to travel.

We are used to travel in remote places in South America and Asia taking care of ourselves and luckily we never encountered serious safety or health problems. But this is the first time we're doing this with our kids, so we'd like to take some precautions. One of them is to take a list with us (by preference printed) with all the telephone numbers of either local or bigger (public or private) hospitals in case something would happen. Let's say for example if our 3y old son is bitten by a Baviaan, we'd just like to jump in the car and immediately start to drive to the nearest hospital where we would be able to get him vaccinated against Rabies. For this particular example, it's probably important to know how much 'services' hospitals offer so in case of an emergency we could immediately drive to a bigger (or private) hospital knowing we might get helped quicker or more efficiently than in smaller hospitals. We'll take cell phones with local sim-card (I know, this isn't a guarantee to be able to make a call).

We could do this research and try to find out every single address, but maybe one of you on this forum already made up such a listing, got one from somebody else or does know where such listings are downloadable on the internet. So I'd like to make my request here. That would be really helpful and it would definitely increase our safety feeling along the trip. Eventually these kind of information does also exist in GPS-waypoints?

Any help or suggestion is warmly welcome. Thanks in advance, Freek en Griet

Default Re: Safety/health telephone numbers & addresses for our trip to SA and Namibia

Welcome!

I doubt if such a list do exist.

My suggestion would be to post on this forum a "Urgent help" request when in trouble and the members can get into action. We are spread far and wide and possess a wealth of information.

Cell phone signal is not always available in outlying areas. Will you be carrying a Satphone? If not I do recommend. I can provide a unit... PM me.
    Last edited by JohanMaree; 2020/01/05 at 05:18 AM.
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

Default Re: Safety/health telephone numbers & addresses for our trip to SA and Namibia

Young children, remote areas, SAT Phone. Take up Johans kind offer.

As you are hiring a 4x4, your service provider can be requested to provide a list of emergency numbers however, I would suggest you take out Emergency Medevac insurance, there are a number of service providers available in Europe. This would cover you in SA and Namibia. Emergency Medavac plus a SAT phone would have you completely covered with one emergency number to use in both countries.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

If you use Android phone, install this app for Namibia emergency numbers

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mergecyNamibia
    Everybody needs to believe in something.... I believe I will have another Beer!

Travel Blog: https://since1652.wordpress.com/

https://www.instagram.com/since1652travel/

Stay away from public hospitals, unless there are no other options.

Get travel insurance to cover private hospitals. Small towns usually have a doctor that can help with small emergencies. But there are areas where doctors are far and few between. Locals will gladly assist with advice.

Enjoy your trip!

Bostoe

Thanks for the advice. I'm amazed how quickly one got help on the 4x4 community - that's great to know.

We took a Medevac insurance for this travel, will need to check though if a medical evacuation (strictly speaking) is within the conditions. Thanks Johan and Estee on the suggestion of a Satphone. It would indeed - together with a medieval insurance - cover most possible medical issues along the trip so we will consider it seriously. Johan, you'll get a PM from me.

@Papsak, we'll go through the Android app - good tip!