Brad Harrison/Anderson etc plugs/connectors

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Brad Harrison/Anderson etc plugs/connectors

Can anybody tell me the significance of different colours with these plugs please.

I know that generally one cannot mix and match colours...ie a red does not plug into a blue, etc etc.

My solar panels as supplied to me are set up with green plugs and I’m needing to make an extension cable. The PV panels output has a green plug, so I need a green plug to fit that one.

But every supplier I’ve checked seems to have grey, black, red, blue & yellow connectors...no green!

Does anyone here know if any of these colours above are compatible with green?
    “If you want to go into the bush, take a Ford. If you want to get back, take a Landcruiser!”

Series 80 'Cruiser GX Diesel 1996
    Cooper ST Maxx 265/75/16 tyres;
    ARB bullbar; 9000kg T-Max winch; Outback roofrack; Double fuel tank; Outback Extreme spare wheel carrier x 2; Air Spring boosters; Racor diesel filter; NL dual battery set-up; 2 x 100w solar panels; Big Country gullwings, Front Runner drawer system; Stofpad 4x4 drop-down fridge slide; NL 78-litre double door fridge/freezer; NL 60-litre freezer; Eeziawn rooftop tent; Eeziawn awning.

SWAMBO: Honda CRV 2.2 Diesel

Previously: '98 Defender 110 HT TDi, Landy SIII S/W, Hilux D/C 4x4,
    Isuzu 2,3 4x4, Isuzu 2,0 4x4, Isuzu 1600 4x4, Chev Nomad, Cheetah beach buggy!

Default Re: Brad Harrison/Anderson etc plugs/connectors

Yes never saw the green either. Just change the coulored part if you have already a plug installed to that colour. The pins are all the same.

The black and grey fit on each other.

Most use grey for 12V output, to a fridge, and red for 12 input like solar.
    Johan Kriel

LCs, Hilux and Echo Chobe

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    Yes never saw the green either. Just change the coulored part if you have already a plug installed to that colour. The pins are all the same.

The black and grey fit on each other.

Most use grey for 12V output, to a fridge, and red for 12 input like solar.
    See...that’s what the forum is for! Such a simple solution!

Yes thanks, will go grab some plugs in the same colours...
    “If you want to go into the bush, take a Ford. If you want to get back, take a Landcruiser!”

ARB bullbar; 9000kg T-Max winch; Outback roofrack; Double fuel tank; Outback Extreme spare wheel carrier x 2; Air Spring boosters; Racor diesel filter; NL dual battery set-up; 2 x 100w solar panels; Big Country gullwings, Front Runner drawer system; Stofpad 4x4 drop-down fridge slide; NL 78-litre double door fridge/freezer; NL 60-litre freezer; Eeziawn rooftop tent; Eeziawn awning.

It seems from articles that I have read that blue is the standard for solar power inputs to a system before the controller. The articles were in local as well as inter publications. Sorry I don't have access to the links at the moment.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul#25 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    It seems from articles that I have read that blue is the standard for solar power inputs to a system before the controller. The articles were in local as well as inter publications. Sorry I don't have access to the links at the moment.
    Yes , saw that also, I never saw a blue one used either.
    Johan Kriel

Yes , saw that also, I never saw a blue one used either.
    Blue are available from 4x4 Direct. It is what I'm using on my system in the caravan.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

Yep, from Jacque at Bushpower (where I got the solar system from initially) - the importers stopped bringing in the green ones, so like JLK said, I will just change colours. Yellow sounds like a good colour to use for the sun! Doesn’t matter what colour I use really, so well as they match so it’s easy to see which goes where!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DarylB For This Useful Post:

The problem comes in when someone that does not know your setup starts plugging things in incorrectly and you have serious problems with overloading. There was an article in one of our local 4X4 magazines a couple months ago where a 'standard' was proposed/discussed which made a lot of sense, ie:

Blue - Solar into the controller
    Red - Power into the battery
    Grey - Power from the battery
    Yellow - Not mentioned
    Happy are those that dream dreams and is willing to pay the price to make them come true

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IceAge For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by IceAge View Post
    The problem comes in when someone that does not know your setup starts plugging things in incorrectly and you have serious problems with overloading. There was an article in one of our local 4X4 magazines a couple months ago where a 'standard' was proposed/discussed which made a lot of sense, ie:

Yellow - Not mentioned

Then I need to change quit a few to blue.
    Johan Kriel

Yellow - Not mentioned
    That should not be an issue because as I pointed out in my initial post, the different colours are not interchangeable or compatible. So blue fits blue, yellow fits yellow, etc. So as long as you match colours that have to plug into each other it is immaterial which you use.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to DarylB For This Useful Post:

Yes. its fine to use different colours at the different points, to avoid some mistakes etc, but the suggestion was to standardize these colours at these positions.
    Johan Kriel

Standardisation is good.

You could also use a permanent marker where:
    A goes to A or;
    1 goes to 1;
    etc.
    If you make a noise or need music in the bush or on the beach, you’re missing the point.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PRA For This Useful Post:

Yes. its fine to use different colours at the different points, to avoid some mistakes etc, but the suggestion was to standardize these colours at these positions.

Yellow - Not mentioned
    My UPSes came with a blue plug for the battery input. Agreed that some form of universal standard would be handy.

I only use grey plugs though. That way I can use the extension feed from my solar panel also as an extension from the battery to some appliance.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

Johan Kriel

23. The Following User Says Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

There is actually a colour convention for Anderson plugs, but that is bases on voltage, not usage.

I also have it as a sort of a loose convention on vehicles that Red is power source from alternator, Blue power source from solar, and Grey power draw to appliances but as said like fits like so your choice really.
    Cobus
    2010 Jimny

One other question that has arisen from the above. Is there an easy way, a special technique, or a trick, to remove the pins from these plugs without damaging the plastic plugs themselves?

I tried prying them apart with a small screwdriver but ended up damaging the plastic plugs while attempting to get the conductor pins out.

Quote Originally Posted by DarylB View Post
    One other question that has arisen from the above. Is there an easy way, a special technique, or a trick, to remove the pins from these plugs without damaging the plastic plugs themselves?
    Jis, its easy , below the pin is a spring loaded plate which you need to push down, then push or pull the pin back out. The pin also have an edge/ridge below where the plate hooks in to keep it in postilion. So use small flat screwdriver and force the plate down and the same time twist the screwdriver to force the pin back, then pull it backwards out. No damage to the plastic.
    Last edited by JLK; 2019/05/14 at 09:23 PM.
    Johan Kriel

Holding the casing push the cable in to release tension on the retaining clip. Using a small screwdriver push the retaining clip down from the front. the cable can then be pulled back out. Do one side at a time. To insert the cable again just push it in with the pin curved side on top of the retaining clip. Hope I have explained it OK.

JLK you type faster than me
    Last edited by petewill; 2019/05/14 at 09:25 PM.
    Pete

ADVENTURE BEFORE DEMENTIA

2002 Mitsubishi Colt Rodeo 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by petewill View Post
    JLK you type faster than me
    So he got now a quick and slow explanation.
    Last edited by JLK; 2019/05/14 at 10:02 PM.
    Johan Kriel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast