Fridge Confusion - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Fridge Confusion

"lots of tests on different fridges". You sound like a used car salesman. So a Dometic uses nearly double the amount of amps than a NL or Engel?

Dometic's yearly revenue for 2018 was 26 billion rand ( google) . You would think they are capable of building a fridge that uses the same energy as competitors ?

Show me the tests, in the pub section, so I can take it with a pinch of salt and tequila...
    There's only 3 reasons to stand up : to get the remote , to go to the bathroom or because you're the Real Slim Shady.

2002 Patrol 4.5 GRX
    2001 Terrano 2 TD27
    2012 1600 Pypkar Rum mobile

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nisjeep For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Johan Lubbe View Post
    We are manufactures of dual battery systems and therefore did lots of tests on the different fridges and there battery usage. NL, SNOMASTER AND ENGEL have the same consumption but Waeco has about a 40% more battery usage. To give you a practical example, NL, SM AND ENGEL gave us 32 hours on a specific battery and Waeco gave us 22 hours on that exact battery. Quality wise the Waeco is good. Waeco is lately Dometic, the Waeco name is gone.

Your last sentence is a bet confusing. Are you saying that the Waeco/Dometic brand is good quality, but uses more power?

TBH that would not surprise me, depending on conditions. Dometic's main market is truckers/campers/RVS etc people who are not necessarily short of power for more than a day or two. I'm very happy with mine, but the lid is just a piece of plastic. Like an esky, the other brands seems to invest more in the natural cooling capacity of the fridge.

Guess it depends of your usage.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

Did you document your tests, I would like to see the findings.

For example, the CF50 Waeco and the CFX50 are two different animals.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Quiksilver View Post
    Your last sentence is a bet confusing. Are you saying that the Waeco/Dometic brand is good quality, but uses more power?

TBH that would not surprise me, depending on conditions. Dometic's main market is truckers/campers/RVS etc people who are not necessarily short of power for more than a day or two. I'm very happy with mine, but the lid is just a piece of plastic. Like an esky, the other brands seems to invest more in the natural cooling capacity of the fridge.

Guess it depends of your usage.
    "but the lid is just a piece of plastic."

Maybe that's what makes the difference.

National Luna's isolation is between 42 - 60mm

Snomaster is between 55 - 70mm

In Africa's heat isolation makes a huge difference.

I couldn't find any specs on Dometic or Engel isolation size, maybe someone can help?
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    With all else being equal a camping fridge's power efficiency comes down to a power efficient compressor and good isolation.

I believe that with the advantages made in technology most high-end fridge compressors are very efficient/equal.

That brings us back to isolation.

I would like to compare this but I can not find specs on Engel and Dometic.

Snomaster offers fridges with 55mm, 60mm and 70mm isolation

National Luna offers fridges with 42mm and 60mm

Not sure about Engel and Dometic?

Assuming that all manufacturers use the same/best form of isolation material it would be unfair to compare the consumption of a fridge with 42mm isolation to a fridge with 70mm isolation. I believe that the higher the ambient temp the more unfair it becomes.

Maybe it comes down to application and then compromise between bulkiness vs weight vs isolation.

If you want light weight then you will have to settle for plastic, less isolation and higher consumption. This is sometimes also the cheaper option.

If you want to save power you will have to settle for bulky and heavy.

That's why some manufactures offer different isolation sizes/models.

The best comparison would be by price. (Apples vs Apples) Which fridge give you the most space and best consumption for your money.
    Last edited by DC Polokwane; 2019/05/21 at 08:43 AM.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

We had a 70 L SnoMaster dual, it was abused, dropped, banged you name it (the outside looked bad, had dents and a hole in it) .
    Travel 44 000 km on real bad roads before it started acting up. Big compartment worked as it should, the smaller one ran at -18C only (you can adjust it as you like it stayed on -18C).
    Took it in for repairs at SnoMaster and was advised that they can repair but would not be able to give a warranty/guarantee on it due to the insides being not in a good condition - rather buy a demo model at a very attractive price. Showed pipes were out of there clips/holders, brackets broken, wiring were chaffed and shorted out. They will have to replace all wiring.

So bought a 65 L SnoMaster dual at a very good price and they kept the old one (it travels in the back of the bakkie). We use one compartment as freezer or swap around as needed, on long trips both are used as freezer.
    We also have a 40 L SnoMaster that resides in the BL Kewer doing duty as fridge only - been going for quite a long time.

Price compared with value very good and aftermarket service excellent.

There are basic no bad brand names on the market, they all have sorted them self out in the last few years.
    Just think that the price of some of the bigger brands are a bit steep and they do not supply a travel blanket and baskets as standard - this makes them very expensive.
    Last edited by Danie S; 2019/05/26 at 11:54 PM.
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT 4x4 - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT 4x4 - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Danie S For This Useful Post:

We are manufactures of dual battery systems and therefore did lots of tests on the different fridges and there battery usage. NL, SNOMASTER AND ENGEL have the same consumption but Waeco has about a 40% more battery usage. To give you a practical example, NL, SM AND ENGEL gave us 32 hours on a specific battery and Waeco gave us 22 hours on that exact battery. Quality wise the Waeco is good. Waeco is lately Dometic, the Waeco name is gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by nisjeep View Post
    "lots of tests on different fridges". You sound like a used car salesman. So a Dometic uses nearly double the amount of amps than a NL or Engel?

Dometic's yearly revenue for 2018 was 26 billion rand ( google) . You would think they are capable of building a fridge that uses the same energy as competitors ?

Show me the tests, in the pub section, so I can take it with a pinch of salt and tequila...
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Did you document your tests, I would like to see the findings.

For example, the CF50 Waeco and the CFX50 are two different animals.
    The only reason for questioning that I can see is the fact that you must own the Waeco or Dometic brand and feel threatened by the findings Johan is in dual battery systems not used cars or fridges, why would he come here and lie? I can also fault his results, the new Snomaster has their own compressor and it uses less power than the Danfoss used by most other brands but in fairness they probably tested a Danfoss onethat would have given him similar results to the other brands.

Very important point is the insulation, as mentioned the Snomaster has the thickest of the lot but even that helps diddly if you constantly open the fridge. In the end Johan's post was a good comparison as it gave a good overview of performance of some brands and I am sure they were tested at the same temps. Run your fridge at - 18 and I guarantee you you will not get 18hr never mind 32.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

I really don't get the negativity towards Johan's testing.

There is LOADS of info on the web about the Dometic/Waeco using more power than other brands, and taking longer to reach the set temperature. That's just how it is - does't make the Dometic a bad fridge.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAND For This Useful Post:

Here is a link to my garage test of my Waeco CF50 and NL Weekender 50l.

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...son?highlight=
    2010 Pajero Sport 3.2 Di-D
    2017 Jurgens XT140 with Echo Mkii Tent

HI Johan,
    If you tested a Waeco, it must have been a relatively old fridge. Have you tested the new Dometic CFX range? (Remember there is a big difference between the CF range and the CFX range)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2