Best place to camp in Khwai

Default Best place to camp in Khwai

I am preparing a trip for Khwai in july/august 2020 (it would be part of a longer trip, we would have around 6-8 days in the area). Will rent a 4x4 with RTT as usual

We been to Khwai before in 2016. Stayed at Dijara campsite and liked it a lot. But I know that they closed down and maybe reopened later?. But these days I find it difficult to know which campsites are open in the Khwai area?
    There seems to be a lot of opportunities. So far I read about Khwai Northgate, Magotho, Mbudi, Dizhana, Dijara(are they open and will they stay open?) and Tshaa(same as Dijara, are they open?).
    Our main priority would be gameviewing.. At this stage I think Magotho would be my choice, remember driving past it in 2016, seemed like a great location. But I know that there are no facilities(maybe a long drop?)

Which campsite would you recommend??

Or should I split between 2 sites?

And the last question, do there exist some decent maps covering Khwai or do I have to settle for google earth?

Default Re: Best place to camp in Khwai

Quote Originally Posted by JayRon View Post
    I am preparing a trip for Khwai in july/august 2020 (it would be part of a longer trip, we would have around 6-8 days in the area). Will rent a 4x4 with RTT as usual

We been to Khwai before in 2016. Stayed at Dijara campsite and liked it a lot. But I know that they closed down and maybe reopened later?. But these days I find it difficult to know which campsites are open in the Khwai area?
    There seems to be a lot of opportunities. So far I read about Khwai Northgate, Magotho, Mbudi, Dizhana, Dijara(are they open and will they stay open?) and Tshaa(same as Dijara, are they open?).
    Our main priority would be gameviewing.. At this stage I think Magotho would be my choice, remember driving past it in 2016, seemed like a great location. But I know that there are no facilities(maybe a long drop?)

And the last question, do there exist some decent maps covering Khwai or do I have to settle for google earth?

I would recommend Khwai Community Camp site, beautiful game viewing and when we were there in December they were busy building ablutions. They should be finished by now.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Haas For This Useful Post:

I second this request. I will be staying at Mbudi in June and I think that in the past I have under-explored the area through simple ignorance. I'd love to get hold of a decent map (other than T4A).
    Last edited by PaulMark; 2019/05/10 at 10:07 AM.
    2015 Land Rover Defender 110
    Instagram: african_rover
    Twitter: african_rover

We stayed at Dijara over the Easter period for 6 days. If I was to go back again, I would stay at Tshaa camp sites. You have your own ablution facilities, no sharing like at Khwai area. Warm water can be made from a Donkey, so no need for solar showers. Camps is right on the river banks, Hippos can be seen and heard every night, Elephants cross the river regularly. We saw them almost every day in the river. Then you can do daily trips (15-20min drive) to Kwhai area from Tshaa. Don't even need to go into reserve as there is plenty place to drive around in the area. They are also busy rebuilding all the ablution facilities, there is new signs up showing where Dijara and Tshaa is and every camo site has new signs as well. Regards Philly
    Name:Phillip de Bruin
    Nickname: Philly
    2014 Toyota Prado 150 VX

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Philly For This Useful Post:

Camped at Magotho in April. Lovely spot but zero facilities, not even a long drop. There were a couple of ablution structures up but not completed.

You can email them on [email protected] for an update.

Mbudi has ablution facilities and a much better siting. Bird life great.

We used T4A and would have been lost without it. So many roads.

Dijara it's actually open. I'll be there for one night in late may