National Luna

Thread: National Luna

Default National Luna

I’ve been posting questions and postulations for a couple of weeks now as I attempt to develop my auxiliary battery system to give me hassle-free operation.

As anyone whose done the same will know, there’s a mine field of information & disinformation out there. Ask a question on this or any other forum about best systems, batteries, solenoid vs DC-DC, PWM vs MPPT, AGM vs DC vs LC etc and you will get as many answers as there are questions.

And even mud-slinging between opposing viewpoints!

So eventually I took all that I’d learned through inputs from respected members here & elsewhere, distilled it through my own three or four decades off overlanding experience and school fees, and sent my ideas and questions to National Luna. I have used their fridges & freezers since their inception and even had them help set up my three battery system in my old Landy well before they developed their intelligent solenoid system.

I figured I’d use my own experiential knowledge, what I’d learned or gathered here on these forums (fora?) and distill & filter the “inevitable” sales talk in the hope of gleaning some additional advice from acknowledged experts.

Wow, what a surprise!

I sent my first detailed set of questions late one night and had received an even more detailed personally written response before I’d even got back from gym the next morning.

Not a form letter but a considered and insightful set of replies to each of my queries.

And absolutely ZERO sales pitch, in fact if anything advice NOT to go out and buy anything, spend any money, on new/additional/unnecessary gadgets.

In fact the only “spend” advice was to bite the bullet and buy the best quality batteries (without any mention of where or even what brand, so no sales talk!)

Additionally I was advised NOT to go out and buy the expensive DC-DC charger I’d planned to buy from them, but focus instead on getting my alternator and wiring up to scratch!

Astounded, I wrote back with more questions that arose after their first response, and once again received an immediate detailed reply, taking each of my questions one by one.

Again, no sales pitch and again more “don’t buy yet” advice, “what you have currently is more than adequate” type of advice.

So, while I’m disappointed in a way that I wasn’t encouraged to go out and buy more electrickery toys (I was looking forward to rewiring my system this weekend), all I can say is “Thank You” to Steven Lambert, Product Development Manager at National Luna!

This is true customer support...and I didn’t even get talked into becoming a customer!

Kudos.
    “If you want to go into the bush, take a Ford. If you want to get back, take a Landcruiser!”

Series 80 'Cruiser GX Diesel 1996
    Cooper ST Maxx 265/75/16 tyres;
    ARB bullbar; 9000kg T-Max winch; Outback roofrack; Double fuel tank; Outback Extreme spare wheel carrier x 2; Air Spring boosters; Racor diesel filter; NL dual battery set-up; 2 x 100w solar panels; Big Country gullwings, Front Runner drawer system; Stofpad 4x4 drop-down fridge slide; NL 78-litre double door fridge/freezer; NL 60-litre freezer; Eeziawn rooftop tent; Eeziawn awning.

SWAMBO: Honda CRV 2.2 Diesel

Previously: '98 Defender 110 HT TDi, Landy SIII S/W, Hilux D/C 4x4,
    Isuzu 2,3 4x4, Isuzu 2,0 4x4, Isuzu 1600 4x4, Chev Nomad, Cheetah beach buggy!

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to DarylB For This Useful Post:

Default Re: National Luna

for later
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Service with a capital "S".
    Well done Steven & NL.
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

Members all eagerly awaiting your detailed future sticky
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Hyundai Getz 1.6 2010

I have to concur on the fact that NL makes a huge effort to deliver personal service.
    Quite refreshing.
    Ezzac

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EHoffmann For This Useful Post:

Same story here. Steven from NL has given me excellent advice in the past. I'll probably always drive an extra mile / pay a bit more for NL products!

Ps - DarylB, don't be shy to share info on the system you are working on!

Waiting for you Fluffy 🤔

Maybe this thread read should be moved to the right Section.

Quote Originally Posted by TRON View Post
    Waiting for you Fluffy

Maybe this thread read should be moved to the right Section.
    So which is the “right” section? Sorry if I posted on the wrong place...I don’t create new threads often.
    “If you want to go into the bush, take a Ford. If you want to get back, take a Landcruiser!”

ARB bullbar; 9000kg T-Max winch; Outback roofrack; Double fuel tank; Outback Extreme spare wheel carrier x 2; Air Spring boosters; Racor diesel filter; NL dual battery set-up; 2 x 100w solar panels; Big Country gullwings, Front Runner drawer system; Stofpad 4x4 drop-down fridge slide; NL 78-litre double door fridge/freezer; NL 60-litre freezer; Eeziawn rooftop tent; Eeziawn awning.

Default National Luna

Quote Originally Posted by Vroommm View Post
    Same story here. Steven from NL has given me excellent advice in the past. I'll probably always drive an extra mile / pay a bit more for NL products!

Ps - DarylB, don't be shy to share info on the system you are working on!
    I will do once I’ve finished & hopefully perfected it.

As a pro wildlife photographer & author who lived off the grid & out of tents for 17 years straight (usually at least 10 months of each year with zero access to 220v AC power) I have had to learn through trial & error what works, what doesn’t, and whose advice to take or not. And most of this time was without any of the modern accessories such as smart solenoids, PV panels, etc.
    Last edited by DarylB; 2019/05/10 at 01:38 PM.

I too over the years have only experienced very good service and advise from National Luna.
    "To look is one thing, to understand what what you see, is something else"

Amarok AUTO 4X4
    Out fitted Offroad Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    Members all eagerly awaiting your detailed future sticky
    Mine?

DarylB, Like many on this forum I look forward to your final conclusions for a good affordable system.

I've known Peter Slement, the owner and founder of National Luna, for about 20 years and his motto has always been "Service" with a capital "S".

I was in his shop on Plantation Road on the Saturday morning he organised to fly out a replacement fridge/freezer to replace an out of warrantee (by about 6 months iirc) to a customer in the KTFP free of charge.

The guy's unit packed up while in the park. He phoned Peter to diagnose the fault over the phone. It was soon evident that the unit was kaput.!

Peter phoned his main NL stockist in Upington to help out. The customer drove to Twee Rivieren while the stockist (a private pilot who was going to fly that afternoon to keep his required hours up) would fly to Twee Rivieren to deliver a "loan unit" while picking up the broken unit to get it back to Edenvale for repairs.

It was later decided that it would be too expensive to cart the unit back and forth for repairs and return it to the owner and Peter told the owner to keep the unit on loan as a gesture of goodwill. The broken unit was disposed of by the dealer in Upington.

I did place that story here about a week after it happened and again about maybe 6 years ago. I was extremely impressed with his service to a customer with an out of warranty unit and that alone is the reason why I will never own anything but a NL camping fridge/freezer. To me that is the ultimate in service. He made that guy's holiday last its full duration instead of him abandoning it early due to an inability to keep their food cold and preserved, and more importantly; his beers cold!!!

There is only one thing that I don't like about Peter; every time I go there he wants to relieve me of my Patrol.....LOL!!n
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2019/05/11 at 09:58 AM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Johannesburg (maybe will look at moving south, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mvcoller For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    I've known Peter Slement, the owner and founder of National Luna, for about 20 years and his motto has always been "Service" with a capital "S".

I was in his shop on Plantation Road on the Saturday morning he organised to fly out a replacement fridge/freezer to replace an out of warrantee (by about 6 months iirc) to a customer in the KTFP free of charge.

The guy's unit packed up while in the park. He phoned Peter to diagnose the fault over the phone. It was soon evident that the unit was kaput.!

Peter phoned his main NL stockist in Upington to help out. The customer drove to Twee Rivieren while the stockist (a private pilot who was going to fly that afternoon to keep his required hours up) would fly to Twee Rivieren to deliver a "loan unit" while picking up the broken unit to get it back to Edenvale for repairs.

It was later decided that it would be too expensive to cart the unit back and forth for repairs and return it to the owner and Peter told the owner to keep the unit on loan as a gesture of goodwill. They broken unit was disposed of by the dealer in Upington.

I did place that story here about a week after it happened and again about maybe 6 years ago. I was extremely impressed with his service to a customer with an out of warranty unit and that alone is the reason why I will never own anything but a NL camping fridge/freezer. To me that is the ultimate in service. He made that guy's holiday last its full duration instead of him abandoning it early due to an inability to keep their food cold and preserved, and more importantly; his beers cold!!!

There is only one thing that I don't like about Peter; every time I go there he wants to relieve me of my Patrol.....LOL!!n
    I’d forgotten the name, thought it was a Peter someone though, and yes, he helped me in my early years as a starving young author...replacing FOC the compressor in a Minus 40 freezer I had just because he could. Glad to hear he’s still there.

I've had a similar experience with NL. I too was looking at buying a DC DC charger and was discouraged by Peter from NL. He confirmed that my alternator on defender was a much better solution to change the caravan batteries. I have a fridge freezer I bought from them in 2000 and it still runs perfectly....