Jimny (3rd Generation) - DIY Ladder

Post Jimny (3rd Generation) - DIY Ladder

Good morning everyone,

I bought a 2nd hand Suzuki Jimny 1.3 2014 model in June 2018.
    It came with a Suzuki tow-bar and a brandless roof rack (pictures attached).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inked20190330_131427_LI.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	248.5 KB 
ID:	527967Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190330_131449.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	214.7 KB 
ID:	527968Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190402_164458.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	295.8 KB 
ID:	527972

The car has undoubtedly been on far more journeys than I have and I'd like to slowly gear it up to take it on a few big adventures of my own.

I would like to build/buy a ladder to fit to the car that would make packing the roof rack a bit easier (I don't have side steps/rock sliders on the car just yet).
    I can't seem to find any Thule/Frontrunner ladders available for the Jimny specifically, but found a few photos online of Jimnys kitted out with a ladder (photos attached).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SCALETTA_POSTERIORE_SUZUKI_JIMNY_REAR_LADDER.2.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	527969Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8b1a849aca38999e2cb4d238a0a41a5c.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	527970Click image for larger version. 

Name:	201761692552187.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	527971

I have a few questions regarding the ladder and would love some tips and feedback if you guys have the time:
    1. If the ladder is to be fixed to the rear door (as in the attached photos), would it not be better to attach it directly to the hinges on the right side of the rear door instead of the left?
    2. Would the rear door comfortably hold the weight of a person if they were on the ladder?
    3. If the rear door isn't the best bet, would it be better to have the ladder hook onto the roof rack with the bottom pressed against the plastic bumper (or maybe even to the spare wheel)?
    4. Can the plastic bumper at the rear hold any significant weight?
    5. Welding aluminium can be a bit tricky, what metal would be lightweight but strong enough to support a person and not cause damage to the chassis (should the ladder be built from scratch)?
    6. Would a simple step be a better option than a whole ladder?

I am a bit of a novice as far as all this is concerned, but I am fortunate to have a family full of DIY and off-road enthusiasts and have the privilege of a full workshop on our farm for all my DIY needs.

Thanks a million!

Default Re: Jimny (3rd Generation) - DIY Ladder

I found with my Pajero, even with a rear door ladder, I still ended up using a telescopic ladder. Front runner do a ladder rest that bolts onto the roof rack. The other thing that could work for you is a strap step that goes onto your spare wheel.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

HI

Ive had several zooks and i would not suggest mounting anything more than the spare on the back door.

A side ladder is your best option.

In my case i found i don't need a ladder. Standing on the wheels or the door well and using a simple step is fine for everyday use. I guess if you are not a young fit chappie anymore and you are travelling alone, lifting full jerry cans off the roof will require a ladder. You need to figure out what you would be loading and if you can handle the weights of these items without a ladder or not.

I once saw a ladder that flips over the side and rests on the wheel. The bottom is adjustable to accomodate different heights as you load/offload the vehicle. Once you are done you simply release it and flip it over onto the roofrack where it secures. Cannot remember who's product it was or if it was a custom job.

Also, the rear bumper is only attached to a light frame fearing and i wouldnt suggest stepping on it. You can go for an aftermarket bumper, front and rear, which makes things safer and easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    I found with my Pajero, even with a rear door ladder, I still ended up using a telescopic ladder. Front runner do a ladder rest that bolts onto the roof rack. The other thing that could work for you is a strap step that goes onto your spare wheel.
    Took a look at the Frontrunner telescopic ladder + roof rack mount, I think this might be an awesome idea, considering that I could use the ladder for many other tasks, thanks!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to N0rman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cribblekris View Post
    HI

Ive had several zooks and i would not suggest mounting anything more than the spare on the back door.

A side ladder is your best option.

In my case i found i don't need a ladder. Standing on the wheels or the door well and using a simple step is fine for everyday use. I guess if you are not a young fit chappie anymore and you are travelling alone, lifting full jerry cans off the roof will require a ladder. You need to figure out what you would be loading and if you can handle the weights of these items without a ladder or not.

I once saw a ladder that flips over the side and rests on the wheel. The bottom is adjustable to accomodate different heights as you load/offload the vehicle. Once you are done you simply release it and flip it over onto the roofrack where it secures. Cannot remember who's product it was or if it was a custom job.
    Yea wasn't too sure it would be a good idea adding extra weight to the back, unless if it could be supported by an aftermarket, heavy duty bumper. I think the telescopic ladder mentioned by Stranger could work a lot like the ladder you mentioned (excepting the convenient installation the "flip" ladder seems to have - must be a custom job).

Thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by N0rman View Post
    Took a look at the Frontrunner telescopic ladder + roof rack mount, I think this might be an awesome idea, considering that I could use the ladder for many other tasks, thanks!!
    Adendorf and a couple of online places also do them

https://www.adendorff.co.za/product/...dders-2-3-8-m/

I had a bag made for mine and strapped onto the spare wheel, worked very well.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

BMW R1200R

My bad double post
    Last edited by Stranger; 2019/05/09 at 01:38 PM.

BMW R1200R

Don't put any extra weight on the back door!
    It is not designed for this.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway