Namibia in a 4x2

Default Namibia in a 4x2

Due to the need for reliable vehicles we opted to buy new. But we couldnt quite afford a 4x4 new. We have a ranger 4x2 base with BFG's on, to look cool and have a tyre that can be deflated for sand and corrugated roads and have a bit more resistance to punctures.

Will it be possible to tour Namibia while towing the conqueror and see most of the hotspots? Obviously van Zyl's pass and the likes will be out of the question.

Can some of the seasoned travellers please advise on places that will be reachable and that is worth visiting? I will do the planning, maths and logistics part. I just need to know where I can and cant go. Might be travelling with another vehicle that will be 4x4.

Thanks
    17 Ranger Supercab Tdci
    18 Ranger Double cab Tdci (Swambo)
    12 Conqueror courage

97 Defender 90 CSW 2.8i (Sold)
    04 Defender 110 d/c p/u Td5 (Sold)
    04 Discovery 2 Td5 GS auto (Sold)
    97 Defender HCPU Tdi (Sold)
    99 Discovery 2 TD5 GS (Sold)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LandyLove For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Namibia in a 4x2

Most of the public roads, roads with a number, in Namibia will be ok with a 2x4. However the one down Van Zyls also have a number.

At Sosusvlei you would not be able to do the last kilometer or two, but there are shuttles you can take. The parks in the Capiriv could be an issue at places with sand.

Maybe give us a list of places you want to go, then its easier to tel yes or no.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    Most of the public roads, roads with a number, in Namibia will be ok with a 2x4. However the one down Van Zyls also have a number.

At Sosusvlei you would not be able to do the last kilometer or two, but there are shuttles you can take. The parks in the Capiriv could be an issue at places with sand.

Maybe give us a list of places you want to go, then its easier to tel yes or no.
    Keep in mind the new Ranger models come std with Back Diff lock that could assist in many areas.

All the usual tourist destinations will be fine. But you can rule out trying to do anything off the main roads in Damaraland and Kaokoveld, the Khaudum, most of the Caprivi parks, and any deep sand tracks, like the last section into Sossus, Sandwich Harbour, etc (I would even hesitate about crossing the Huab River into Aba Huab camp near Twyfelfontein). The main rule is to drop your tyre pressure all round to about 1.8 and never, ever go faster than 80km/h on the gravel roads, especially if towing. Towing, I would probably keep my speed down to around 60km/h. Rolled vehicles, trailers and caravans are a relatively common sight, especially on the gravel "highways" through the Namib.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

As noted it is obviously fine; it is just those few metres of sand that can mess up your day. So be wary and prepared to turn around. I know this from jacking and digging in a Golf at the Spitskoppe in the 80's as well as helping a friend in a 4x2 bakkie at Twyfelfontein. Take spade, good jack and maybe something for traction in sand.

Quote Originally Posted by nigelgeast View Post
    Keep in mind the new Ranger models come std with Back Diff lock that could assist in many areas.
    Not the base models like we have

At R280k for a brand new double cab with service plan you can expect it to be bare.
    17 Ranger Supercab Tdci
    12 Conqueror courage

Thanks for all the replies. Seems like we will be able to cover most of it. We will carry a hi-lift jack, sand tracks, compressor, basic recovery kit and we also have a 2ton 12v portable winch that I use to get the conqeuror into the garage (very steep incline and narrow driveway). Winch will be last resort. Common sense gets you far in life too, obviously I wont attempt something that I know the vehicle cant do. I have a lot of 4x4 experience so I am aware of vehicle limitations.

What would be the best source of information as to how to plan a trip in Namibia?
    websites, maps, books etc? One thing I have learned when overlanding is to have a good paper map, it may even cost more than your GPS, because it wont drop you like a GPS can.
    17 Ranger Supercab Tdci
    12 Conqueror courage

Tracks4Africa - T4A - has an excellent paper map of Namibia which gives drive times. I never travel without it. Much better than our GPS!

https://shop.tracks4africa.co.za/pro...urth-edition/#

There are a host of maps - books available. Have a look at the Info maps as well.

https://www.infomap.co.za/maps/namibia

The Namibia Road Atlas - Map Studio - is good as it gives detailed maps of the main tourist areas with a brief write-up. In handy slim book form.

https://www.mapstudio.co.za/product/namibia-road-atlas/
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2019/05/10 at 08:23 AM.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Dold For This Useful Post: