Snake encounter - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Snake encounter

Default Re: Snake encounter

The point is that when people see a snake they "run". The problem is that the direction they run most probably has an other snake. Person just cannot see it.

I will have snake removed from inside a house but not from the garden. There is a reason for the snake to be there. If I can remove the reason that might work.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Brian1 View Post
    This afternoon the Jack Russell went berserk, wife got there first and saw the snake rear like a cobra, I got the dog away and saw the snake disappear under the deck, it was about meter or meter and a half looked slightly yellowish?

Anyway dog starts limping so off to Onderstepoort, they observed her for a couple of hours with anti venom ready but I think she just got a bump in the turmoil because she seems fine now.

Question is what now, my head tells me the snake is long gone but is there a way to make the deck less attractive a place for it without hurting the lizards etc?

I saw these advertised in Spain http://www.atlants.net/aaa_catalogos...e-repeller.jpg, not sure how well they perform.

Might be worth a try.

I saw these advertised in Spain http://www.atlants.net/aaa_catalogos...e-repeller.jpg, not sure how well they perform.

Might be worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Stewart View Post

Might be worth a try.
    Yet:
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

Quote Originally Posted by cruiserpilot View Post
    I love this story. all I can add is maybe get another Jack Russell. Mine have all been mean snake killers, but nothing near as venomous where I live
    The problem here is that if snakes are attacked they will respond with a wet bite, that is they will try their best to envenomate the attacker. A lot of experts are putting forward theories that snakes will sometimes dry bite, either no venom or very little. Dr's are also now wary to immediately use anti venom as this could cause the problem to get worse.

As I mentioned in another thread, the production of anti venom via horse serum is also considered to be antiquated and also potentially as damaging as the venom itself.

Venom is one of the most brilliantly engineered chemical substances that nature has ever produced and comes in many forms. It would take pages to discuss them all.

This make the Doc's job very difficult as when you rush into the hospital yelling, "it was a green one with big eyes" the Dr's are now guessing. I have had some training on handling and can say that now ways is it enough, even the guys who make a living out of handling snakes get bit.

I have memory of an Irish nitwit who was doing a TV program, came to the Kruger and had permissions for after dark filming. He got the Landy driver to stop and starting filming what he said was a Herald. Two minutes later he was nailed by the Skaapsteeker after trying to pick it up. This now entailed a mad rush to Nelspruit hospital where they just about managed to save his arm.

Moving snakes should be a last resort and only if they pose a real threat. Remove the reasons for them to be there and they will move on. An active snake in the summer will eat every few days and if there is no food source they will go look for one.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by carlp View Post
    True.

There is no such thing as a snake repellant
    I am not going to tell my wife. As long as she believe it works, we may have many more happy days in the bush.
    Pajero GLS Exceed 2014 LWB &
    Jeep Cherokee 2001 2.5 Diesel, Gone to Jeep Heaven
    Toyota Hilux, plaas bakkie
    Platkar Swambo's MB

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    The problem here is that if snakes are attacked they will respond with a wet bite, that is they will try their best to envenomate the attacker. A lot of experts are putting forward theories that snakes will sometimes dry bite, either no venom or very little. Dr's are also now wary to immediately use anti venom as this could cause the problem to get worse.

As I mentioned in another thread, the production of anti venom via horse serum is also considered to be antiquated and also potentially as damaging as the venom itself.

Venom is one of the most brilliantly engineered chemical substances that nature has ever produced and comes in many forms. It would take pages to discuss them all.

This make the Doc's job very difficult as when you rush into the hospital yelling, "it was a green one with big eyes" the Dr's are now guessing. I have had some training on handling and can say that now ways is it enough, even the guys who make a living out of handling snakes get bit.

I have memory of an Irish nitwit who was doing a TV program, came to the Kruger and had permissions for after dark filming. He got the Landy driver to stop and starting filming what he said was a Herald. Two minutes later he was nailed by the Skaapsteeker after trying to pick it up. This now entailed a mad rush to Nelspruit hospital where they just about managed to save his arm.

Moving snakes should be a last resort and only if they pose a real threat. Remove the reasons for them to be there and they will move on. An active snake in the summer will eat every few days and if there is no food source they will go look for one.
    AFAIK (and you will probably know better) snake antivenom isn't even sold to the public anymore, and few places carry stock for a variety of snakes, specifically because it's hellishly expensive, nigh impossible to determine what snake bit who and not very effective. I read a while back that something like 2% of snake bites are treated with antivenom, actually.

I'm no expert on snakes by a long shot, but I find them absolutely fascinating.

I would wager that most hospitals will carry Puffy and Black Mamba (if they are prevalent within the region) antivenom. But I base this on absolutely no facts. Hence a "wager".
    Last edited by New; 2019/05/22 at 03:56 PM.
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST" 8)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to New For This Useful Post:

Indeed they are. I kept and bred non venomous snakes for over 25 years and found out just what wonderful creatures they are. Even little things though can catch you out. I had a fussy eater that I tried to hand feed one day and he nailed me instead. My hand would not stop bleeding for days. I found out that the saliva has proteins in it that are part of the digestive system. My Doc had to fix me up with a shot to basically stop the process.

I had a Black rat snake that was a real pig, in his prime he would take 4-6 adult rats a month. I never hibernated my snakes and even when the rest slowed down in the winter, he still wanted to eat. Lived to 18 that one, His name was BAM BAM. As in here is your rat, BAM BAM, it's all over.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by carlp View Post
    True.

There is no such thing as a snake repellant
    Yes there is, ever seen a snake around a Honey Badger

ever seen anyone trying to get Honey Badger pee

BMW R1200R

Yes there is, ever seen a snake around a Honey Badger

ever seen anyone trying to get Honey Badger pee

I would add Banded Mongoose to that list.... Terrible way to go for a poor snake. Death by hundreds of tiny bytes!

Name:  banded-mongooses-confront-cobra.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  57.3 KB
    Last edited by New; 2019/05/22 at 04:10 PM.
    "Grent" Vitara

Oh, one more thing I think I should mention

Don't be fooled by the "little snake"

Many venomous species are born fully equipped with fangs and full potency venom.

BMW R1200R

Without wishing to be too much of a know-all, the posts from Toxxyc and New contain slight inaccuracies that require correction.
    [Toxxyc] "AFAIK (and you will probably know better) snake antivenom isn't even sold to the public anymore (True), and few places carry stock for a variety of snakes (Our South African antivenom is polyvalent and covers almost all of our indigenous venomous snakes, excluding boomslang which has it own specific antivenom), specifically because it's hellishly expensive, nigh impossible to determine what snake bit who and not very effective (Not true, antivenom is highly effective but is by the same token very dangerous to administer outside a hospital high care situation). I read a while back that something like 2% of snake bites are treated with antivenom, actually". (Yes many snake bites are "dry" where the snake purposely does not inject venom and at other times the venom dose turns out to be too low to run the risk of injecting the 10 or so vials of antivenom intravenously. The figure I have is that 80% of hospitalised snakebite victims end up not needing antivenom after suitable observation).

[New] " I would wager that most hospitals will carry Puffy and Black Mamba (if they are prevalent within the region) antivenom. But I base this on absolutely no facts". Also not accurate, as explained above the antivenom is a polyvalent one that covers all except boomslang. Also I think it is a bit optimistic to suppose that "most hospitals" carry antivenom. I think you can only rely on most regional state hospitals carrying an effective supply and also many private hospitals, especially those with emergency facilities. The state hospitals in smaller towns, I doubt very much.

For those interested in doing a very interesting snake awareness and first aid course can I suggest contacting snake expert Johan Marais of the African Snakebite Institute - www.africansnakebiteinstitute.com
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

I really didn't think a Skaapsteker was that venomous.

Used to play with them as a kid.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)

84' Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work

The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jfh For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Without wishing to be too much of a know-all, the posts from Toxxyc and New contain slight inaccuracies that require correction.
    [Toxxyc] "AFAIK (and you will probably know better) snake antivenom isn't even sold to the public anymore (True), and few places carry stock for a variety of snakes (Our South African antivenom is polyvalent and covers almost all of our indigenous venomous snakes, excluding boomslang which has it own specific antivenom), specifically because it's hellishly expensive, nigh impossible to determine what snake bit who and not very effective (Not true, antivenom is highly effective but is by the same token very dangerous to administer outside a hospital high care situation). I read a while back that something like 2% of snake bites are treated with antivenom, actually". (Yes many snake bites are "dry" where the snake purposely does not inject venom and at other times the venom dose turns out to be too low to run the risk of injecting the 10 or so vials of antivenom intravenously. The figure I have is that 80% of hospitalised snakebite victims end up not needing antivenom after suitable observation).

[New] " I would wager that most hospitals will carry Puffy and Black Mamba (if they are prevalent within the region) antivenom. But I base this on absolutely no facts". Also not accurate, as explained above the antivenom is a polyvalent one that covers all except boomslang. Also I think it is a bit optimistic to suppose that "most hospitals" carry antivenom. I think you can only rely on most regional state hospitals carrying an effective supply and also many private hospitals, especially those with emergency facilities. The state hospitals in smaller towns, I doubt very much.

For those interested in doing a very interesting snake awareness and first aid course can I suggest contacting snake expert Johan Marais of the African Snakebite Institute - www.africansnakebiteinstitute.com

Oi Oom Stan.... I mos had a disclaimer in my post that it was not based on fact. But thank you for the information. Scary....

Edit: The scary part is the self instilled reassurance that there "must be" antivnom close by, so not to worry...
    Last edited by New; 2019/05/22 at 05:04 PM.
    "Grent" Vitara

21. The Following User Says Thank You to New For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post

I'm no expert by a long shot, so thanks for the corrections, I appreciate it!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Toxxyc For This Useful Post:

Could not have been a Skaapsteeker. Unless he was allergic to the venom. I was bitten so many times by these snakes, probably over 50 times, as a kid. Used to keep them as pets. Never even got a head ache from one.

I remember catching one just over a metre long, almost a Rhodesian record at the time. He too bit me a few times.
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caracal For This Useful Post:

Wow.

I try and stay well clear of snakes
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

Quote Originally Posted by Caracal View Post
    Could not have been a Skaapsteeker. Unless he was allergic to the venom. I was bitten so many times by these snakes, probably over 50 times, as a kid. Used to keep them as pets. Never even got a head ache from one.

I remember catching one just over a metre long, almost a Rhodesian record at the time. He too bit me a few times.
    Name then misleading. Hy steek nie, hy byt.
    Pajero GLS Exceed 2014 LWB &
    Jeep Cherokee 2001 2.5 Diesel, Gone to Jeep Heaven
    Toyota Hilux, plaas bakkie
    Platkar Swambo's MB

28. The Following User Says Thank You to stevan For This Useful Post:

New

Quote Originally Posted by stevan View Post
    Name then misleading. Hy steek nie, hy byt.
    So "skaapsteker" is seker meer gepas op ons maatjies in NZ of Aus?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast