Sand tracks which won't break the bank - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Sand tracks which won't break the bank

I came to Kosi Bay with zero experience. I still feel like my vehicle does everything for me (because I have an automatic 2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4).

I got stuck on an uphill sand track the other day. Let the tires down to 1 bar, was then able to glide effortlessly away. It really is all about the tire pressure.

I own a tire compressor but haven't really needed it. There is sand everywhere and it joins the tar right at the Total garage.

One thing you will want to do though, is plot your routes before the time. I wrote an example of how I am doing it now (open to alternate suggestions!)

Cool Re: Sand tracks which won't break the bank

Sand tracks that wont brake the Bank? DIY take a plastic pallet and cut it in the middle,than turn the two halfes
    around and shorten the plastic tits by half and ready are your sandtracks. Can not be but used as a bridge but
    works very well in sand

If you are worried about the sand tracks through the Maputo Elephant Reserve to Santa Maria...donít.

I have driven those tracks 3 or 4 times a year for 16 years, usually towing a boat, and have never been stuck.

My brother & brother-in-law drive to our camp there in 2x4 Toyota bakkies without problems so long as you want the track ahead and keep your speed & revs up when you see a particularly bad section of sand ahead. Sand driving is all about reducing tyre pressure (1.2 bar will usually be perfect), maintaining momentum & keeping your revs up.

What vehicle will you be driving?
    Series 80 'Cruiser GX Diesel 1996
    Previously: '98 Defender 110 HT TDi, Landy SIII S/W, Hilux D/C 4x4,
    Isuzu 2,3 4x4, Isuzu 2,0 4x4, Isuzu 1600 4x4, Chev Nomad, Cheetah beach buggy!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
    I mean bridging ladders, these are great sand tracks but cannot handle bridging too well...
    I will check what we have in Camp and Climb Centurion store this morning and let you know.
    Last edited by Sneaky Pete; 2019/05/22 at 06:33 AM.
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
    I will check what we have in Camp and Climb Centurion store this morning and let you know.
    We have the Explorers John mentioned in stock, plus we have a 1.2m set of Grip and Go's. Send me a pm with your cel no and I can send you some whatsup photos and details or look on the Camp and Climb website.
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

Quote Originally Posted by DarylB View Post
    If you are worried about the sand tracks through the Maputo Elephant Reserve to Santa Maria...donít.

I have driven those tracks 3 or 4 times a year for 16 years, usually towing a boat, and have never been stuck.

My brother & brother-in-law drive to our camp there in 2x4 Toyota bakkies without problems so long as you want the track ahead and keep your speed & revs up when you see a particularly bad section of sand ahead. Sand driving is all about reducing tyre pressure (1.2 bar will usually be perfect), maintaining momentum & keeping your revs up.

What vehicle will you be driving?
    I'm in a 2001 prado 90 series. Decent set of tyres.
    I'm not too worried about getting stuck but would like to have something with me just in case.
    At around R1200 a set of those explorers seems like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by dnk8n View Post
    I came to Kosi Bay with zero experience. I still feel like my vehicle does everything for me (because I have an automatic 2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4).

I got stuck on an uphill sand track the other day. Let the tires down to 1 bar, was then able to glide effortlessly away. It really is all about the tire pressure.

I own a tire compressor but haven't really needed it. There is sand everywhere and it joins the tar right at the Total garage.

One thing you will want to do though, is plot your routes before the time. I wrote an example of how I am doing it now (open to alternate suggestions!)
    Busy playing around with Route Planner.
    It's really cool!
    Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by Shwam View Post
    I'm in a 2001 prado 90 series. Decent set of tyres.
    I'm not too worried about getting stuck but would like to have something with me just in case.
    At around R1200 a set of those explorers seems like a good idea.
    Okay then but in that vehicle I doubt very much you will get stuck anywhere on that route unless you do something silly, and then you will probably get out easily anyway in low range.

To me sand ladders etc are just more crap to carry!

Enjoy.

I've decided I will definitely get a set of tracks just in case I do get stuck.
    I like to explore and do stupid crap pretty often :P

Narrowed it down to the below two.
    Which would you guys get?

Grip and go folding tracks or the explorer maxtrax rip offs.

https://www.campandclimb.co.za/produ...covery-tracks/

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...SABEgJSuvD_BwE

Space and weight isn't a deciding factor.

The Explorer Maxxtrax rip-offs look more practical though I canít find an indication of their length?

The problem with getting stuck in sand though is that once you get mobile again usually you canít stop to retrieve your trax, especially on those sandy tracks through the Maputo Special Elephant Reserve. So a rope or something to drag them behind you a while may be a good idea, and just hope they donít dig in or hook on something.

One other thing to be aware of on those tracks, especially where it goes through dense bush, is often you might come upon locals driving as fast as they can to maintain momentum in 2x4 bakkies, coming the other way! There have been several head ons and many close shaves.

And of course Murphy always decrees these meetings happen in the thickest sand where you will have to climb out of the tracks to let them past!

Quote Originally Posted by DarylB View Post
    The Explorer Maxxtrax rip-offs look more practical though I canít find an indication of their length?

The problem with getting stuck in sand though is that once you get mobile again usually you canít stop to retrieve your trax, especially on those sandy tracks through the Maputo Special Elephant Reserve. So a rope or something to drag them behind you a while may be a good idea, and just hope they donít dig in or hook on something.

One other thing to be aware of on those tracks, especially where it goes through dense bush, is often you might come upon locals driving as fast as they can to maintain momentum in 2x4 bakkies, coming the other way! There have been several head ons and many close shaves.

And of course Murphy always decrees these meetings happen in the thickest sand where you will have to climb out of the tracks to let them past!
    Think they're about 08m. Not too sure.

Will probably go for the explorers.
    They can double as a base plate for a jack so that is selling it for me.

Thanks for the heads up about the local driving style haha. I'll make sure to give a hoot around blind corners

I just ordered a set of Tred Pro tracks and mounting pins.

They cost a little more than the Maxtrax but I really liked the specs on them and the fact that they use 2 different kinds of plastic. This helps make the notches on it harder and more resistant to melting but the board still remains flexible.

Gonna go bog myself in the dunes to test them...

Quote Originally Posted by Walnut View Post
    I just ordered a set of Tred Pro tracks and mounting pins.

They cost a little more than the Maxtrax but I really liked the specs on them and the fact that they use 2 different kinds of plastic. This helps make the notches on it harder and more resistant to melting but the board still remains flexible.

Gonna go bog myself in the dunes to test them...
    What did you pay for the tracks and the pins?

These look good, but I really hope the main board is not as brittle as their previous designs. Mine shattered to pieces on the very first recovery!
    2008 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 "Sushi the Tuna"
    2018 Baobab 4 - B1543 "Nala"

Bacon fact #16 - Bacon is Healthier than Crystal Meth!

If you pay more for your TRED Pro's than maxtrax then you are obviously buying from the skelms.

Tred Pro are R3420.00 ex vat per set from me.
    Henk
    So understand
    Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
    Face up, make your stand
    And realize you're living in the golden years

Bought from Securetech.co.za.... doubt they skelms....

They were R4600 including free shipping and tax.

I bought the pins from Frontrunner.

Here's a pic of them mounted to my Bakkie load bin rack:

Name:  IMG_20191111_140219.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  213.9 KB

Biggest Skelms and very RUDE!! I'd rather import than support them but fortunately we have many good local recovery gear suppliers in ZA
    2018 Suzuki Jimny - Expedition vehicle
    2002 Land Rover Defender - Daily Drive

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon93 View Post
    Biggest Skelms and very RUDE!! I'd rather import than support them but fortunately we have many good local recovery gear suppliers in ZA

Really? Care to explain?

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Really? Care to explain?
    I'd rather not. I haven't been on this forum too long but I've seen how messy that gets.

All I'll say is that I eventually got in touch with the MD of TRed in Australia and showed him the emails that were sent to me and he recommended I go to other suppliers in ZA that he supplies (gave me the contact details etc) and apologized profusely for the manner in which they spoke to me.
    2018 Suzuki Jimny - Expedition vehicle
    2002 Land Rover Defender - Daily Drive

They were super helpful and friendly to me. I asked for a quote from there website and immediately got a response.

I then made payment and was kept in the loop for my delivery.

I have no complaints with them, only positive experiences. Oh and they also gave me the Tred Pro leashes with it. Very cool.

To be clear, when you message Securetech and purchase it from them you go through Special Industrial Suppliers.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast