Which are your most evocative African birds for the traveller? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Which are your most evocative African birds for the traveller?

Quote Originally Posted by SuzukiPiet View Post
    A lazy Sunday afternoon in the Waterberg is fulfilled with the call of the Black-headed Oriole...
    Oh yes! Another nice one.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

It's a strange sound, but I really like the Rufous-cheeked Nightjar.. And they can go on for ages.

Great thread!

I thrive on the bird calls heard from camp in the dark of night or first thing at dusk. These sounds evoke quite an emotional reaction in me when I have been out of the bush for any length of time. This list has already been mentioned in parts by previous posts.

At Night:
    The Owls: The screech of the barn owl, the hoot of the wood owl (the most typically owl-like call of all), the repetitive and surprisingly loud call of the very small scops and barred owlets, the series of whistles and notes of the pearl-spotted owl. Then finally the hooting call of the giant and other eagle owls.

Nightjars: Fiery-necked Nightjar (Good Lord deliver us), square-tailed nightjar (like a Lister engine, even with a change of gear) and rufous-cheeked nightjar (engine-like churring as in previous species, but no gear change).

Early morning:
    Here the crack of dawn calls of the various francolins and spurfowls deservedly earn them the name of the bush alarm clock.

Here for all bush campers the call of the white-browed (Heughlin's) robin-chat must surely have a special place as the songbird to call last at night and then first in the morning.

Those bushlovers that have not as yet learnt the calls of such birds or bothered to listen for them, should do so. They will greatly enrich your bush experience. Most importantly of all, such listening would require silence, the most relaxing commodity of all!
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Bateleur

Pied Kingfisher

Barbet
    Stranger, which barbet ? One has to be precise here ...

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    Stranger, which barbet ? One has to be precise here ...
    For me the Crested Barbet is one archetypal African bird!8) -ever since one of these gave us a wonderful extended and close-range dance routine in the Kruger National Park once!

Also the Fish Eagle

amongst others...

-and , surprisingly -the Hadeda!

-its 'prehistoric' look in flight against ancient rocky outcrops is very African to me 8)-and alludes to the incredible ages and aeons embedded in the landscape and lifeforms here!8)

Their annoying birdsong is another thing, though
    Last edited by Patrick L; 2019/05/07 at 05:17 PM.
    "The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

- Charles Bukowski

The piercing cry of the majestic Verreaux's Eagle as it thermals effortlessly across its range.
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2019/05/07 at 06:43 PM.

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

The call of Blue cranes, as they float effortlessly through the sky. One of my favourites.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

an "interesting bird" that flies under the radar but is more common than most think

Fiscal Shrike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2