Loxton to Sutherland via R356

Default Loxton to Sutherland via R356

Good day folks, I need advice on the state of the R356 gravel road between Loxton and Sutherland, sand, rocks, corrugation etc. Thank you very much
    Alles loop reg, altyd reg!!

Default Re: Loxton to Sutherland via R356

Just did Calvinia to Middelpos. That stretch is in very good condition. The stretch from Middelpos to Sutherland is very badly corrugated and not fun to drive. I was in a D2 with deflated tyres. I am not sure where the Loxton road feeds in.

Darron John Misplon
    Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES Manual (Loaded)
    BMW F30 320i Sport Auto
    BMW R1200 GS
    'One life-Make a difference"

Possibly not pertinent regarding the current road condition but nevertheless some information.
    We travelled Loxton-Sutherland exactly a year ago - Fortuner towing an XCAPE caravan.
    We almost did not make the crossing through the Brak river some 5km outside Loxton that was in flood due to storms the night before, but other than that there were no difficulties at all.
    The road was quite good all the way despite the heavy rains that had fallen in the area.
    If you make a noise or need music in the bush or on the beach, youíre missing the point.

Fraserburg is halfway between the two towns. I'll ask for the latest info tomorrow and post it here for you. It's dry at the moment.
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

Did it in April from Sutherland to Loxton. Condition is very good. Could do 80-110 km/h most of the time.
    Pierre-Andre
    2013 Pajero 3.2 DI-DC 30 year Legend Edition LWB, Tough Dog suspension
    2001 Pajero 3.5 GLS LWB - Lynx bash plate (Sold)

I went and spoke to the road maintenance guy at the Streek Diens Raad. The Fraserburg Sutherland road is relatively good with some rocks and corrugations in places but do-able by a car with road tyres (Not low profiles). The Fraserburg Loxton stretch is not do-able by a car but a small SUV with AT's will be OK. Rocks and corrugations. Only the 60km from Fraserburg to Loxton is mentioned here because their maintenance border ends there.
    Last edited by Olyfboer; 2019/05/07 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Spelling
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

I drove from Loxton to Faserburg about a week ago. The road was good all the way. From Fraserburg I went to Williston so canít comment about the section to Sutherland Name:  IMG_2087.JPG
Views: 326
Size:  163.4 KB

Thanks Hamster. Your vehicle is ideal. The OP doesn't state what vehicle he has so I'm catering for all types. Some time back I drove visitors through to Sutherland and back in my Isuzu for a visit. They decided to visit and stay over in Sutherland. They were in a Kia Rio. It took about three hours for them to get to Sutherland. Your vehicle makes a big difference on these roads.

It rained yesterday. The roads will have some ruts in them from heavy traffic in some places now but nothing your vehicle won't handle..

Hi there, hoping more answers can help the OP, so I hope that asking my question will help with some more feedback. We are looking to travel that route (Loxton -> Franserburg -> Sutherland) in two weeks time in a Nissan X-Trail 2x4. Google says it will take 2h49 min to complete. Is this an accurate reflection on how long it could take or should I seriously consider an alternative route based on my vehicle? The last thing I need is to get a puncher because of gravel roads. That would seriously put a huge dent in my holiday (and brownie points with the misses)

We are going to come from Molteno and was going to get back onto the N1 and then divert to Victoria West to Sutherland, hell we need to see other places right? But I'm reconsidering getting back to Beaufort West along the death stretch and then to Sutherland. Any further advice?

Your vehicle will do fine on those roads. What tyres are you using? I will confirm the state of the roads with the police (Fraserburg Police have an 80 thousand square kiliometre area and they travel these roads all the time) and with the District Roads Division and let you know on Tuesday. Don't rely on the Google time and allow for longer and stop overs, even just for coffee. Let me know if you're coming and i can meet you, show you where to go and answer any questions or help out. Enjoy the trip.

I did that same stretch at the end of April with my Pathfinder (Bridgestone ATRs) and it was very good, with just a few sections where there were corrugations on the stretch from Frazerburg to Sutherland. The section from Loxton to Frazerburg was great.

A few places I caught myself doing 120 kph, and slowed down back to 100, as there are a few YUMPS!! as you come across places where the watercourses cross the road.
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2019/06/15 at 09:16 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

@Olyfboer, @mvcoller I have 225/60/R17 tyres on my X-Trail, so not ATRs unfortunately. About 2 months ago my mom went with a couple of friends to Tankwa (no not Afrika Burns - hehehe) and some of the guys had issues with punchers, etc on those dirt roads there and I can only guess that could have been due to rocks / corrugations. But looking forward to your feedback on Tuesday and I must say that I didn't even think to call the police in those towns as they would travel those roads quite often.

I just need to make sure that the risk of getting a puncher is low, low.

Tyres will be perfect, no sharp stones on that road....
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Punctures not at all likely....
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec

Quote Originally Posted by ipodmusicman View Post
    @Olyfboer, @mvcoller I have 225/60/R17 tyres on my X-Trail, so not ATRs unfortunately. About 2 months ago my mom went with a couple of friends to Tankwa (no not Afrika Burns - hehehe) and some of the guys had issues with punchers, etc on those dirt roads there and I can only guess that could have been due to rocks / corrugations. But looking forward to your feedback on Tuesday and I must say that I didn't even think to call the police in those towns as they would travel those roads quite often.

I just need to make sure that the risk of getting a puncher is low, low.
    Tankwa and the roads there are notorious for punctures. I had a punure on those roads every time I went there. I have not tried my Goodyear Wrangler AT's there yet but on three sets of Wrangler tyres on two vehicles I have not has a puncture on the Sutherland, Loxton, Williston or Beaufort West dirt roads yet. I will speak to the head of the Visible Policing on Tuesday as he is in charge of the vans. On Friday morning i saw a punctured police van wheel in the charge office waiting for the garage to open to be repaired. But remember that they enter farms and travel over very rough terrain.

The Sutherland Loxton dirt road is a great drive typical karoo dirt road, a wonderful relaxing country drive. Many locals do those roads with bog standard cars. Just dont pump your tires too hard.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Fishing1 For This Useful Post:

I visited the Streeks Diens Raad and spoke to the guy in charge. They have graded the Loxton section up to 40km from Fraserburg. They cannot comment on the rest as it falls under another authority. They said the Sutherland - Fraserburg section is in good condition. Then I spoke to the police. They say that an X Trail will not have a problem and there are some slightly rough sections. They did say they would not try either road in a Polo with low profiles. Hope this helps.

I did that road in a ML350 in December with low profiles. (Not my car so I did not take any risks, also it was not planned but ended up because of other outside factors.)

If you concentrate you should be fine.
    I had an avg speed of 80-90kph and some sections 120 easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
    I did that road in a ML350 in December with low profiles. (Not my car so I did not take any risks, also it was not planned but ended up because of other outside factors.)

If you concentrate you should be fine.
    I had an avg speed of 80-90kph and some sections 120 easy.
    It rained since December and the road had to be re graded as it was in a terrible condition at one time.

Hi folks, thanks very much for all the responses. I'll sure to respond with some feedback when we get back next Friday.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ipodmusicman For This Useful Post: