Pajero hooter blares by itself

Default Pajero hooter blares by itself

Morning all. In December last year my hooter started sounding by itself while I was driving in thick mist near Durban. The only way to shut it up was to take out the fuse. I even disconnected the battery for a while, connected it and put the fuse back. This worked for a while. In Mpumalaga it did the same in February, and now in Bloem it does it so often I have to drive around without the fuse (thus no hooter). I took it to an auto electrician last week who told me he couldn't find anything strange, but he replaced a relay that he says can sometimes trap moisture (fortunately at no charge). Worked fine while driving home and over the weekend, but this morning when I turned the ignition it blared away again. Took the fuse out and replaced, blared again. Any ideas? Thanks!
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

Default Re: Pajero hooter blares by itself

It's probably the contact ring in the steering column is worn out, friend of mine had the same issue. Not a cheap fix unfortunately, they ended up rewiring a button on to the dash to operate the holder.
    Any minority that advocates for gun control is either wilfully ignorant, or has never opened a history book.

The problem with collective punishment - is that sooner or later you're part of the collective.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BluePaj For This Useful Post:

http://www.pajero.guru/how-to-fix-pa...by-step-guide/

Go watch this guys website. He also has some other very handy things for the Pajero Owner.

CATS
    2015 VW Transporter T5.1 132kw 4motion DSG - (Shrek) My Bush-Bus
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten) :2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper ,Old Faithfull, - SOLD)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cats For This Useful Post:

Happened to me as well. After a lot of Google I finally find the problem in my Pajero iO. The airbag and hooter switches inside the steering wheel are on top of each other and in some cases a unit. Due to the drop in atmospheric pressure while driving down to PE the hooter start hooting as I drove down the last few km to see level. Also had to remove the fuse. While inland everything is fine. Apparently the change in pressure inside the airbag unit expand and this activates the hooter switch. I've installed a switch in the hooter line to switch off the hooter should it happen again while at the coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Cats View Post
    http://www.pajero.guru/how-to-fix-pa...by-step-guide/

Go watch this guys website. He also has some other very handy things for the Pajero Owner.

CATS
    Thanks, I saw the YouTube video yesterday as well. I don't have all the tools, I'll print the instructions out and give it to my indy. It's so ironic that when you don't have a hooter, people will p!$$ you off way more than usual; cut you off, texting whilst doing 20 km/h in front of you, skipping red lights, etc. Until it gets fixed, I have to drive like a suutjiespoep to avoid all such encounters. Like Jimny or Defender drivers...
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D