Subaru Forester 2014 XS versus 2013 Land Rover Freelander 2

Question Subaru Forester 2014 XS versus 2013 Land Rover Freelander 2

Hi All

Needing some help from the gurus please. Currently looking for a decent SUV that can take me off-road (nothing crazy, but along the lines of Mozambique/ Sani Pass and perhaps Botswana). I've narrowed down my search to the 2014 Subaru Forester 2.5 XS or 2013 Freelander 2. Price range is R200-240K

I feel both would be fairly capable for what I'm looking for in terms of off-road capability so quite keen to hear your thoughts about the 2 and which is going to cost me less in the long run in terms of general maintenance, which is more reliable and then which will hold its value best.

Open to any other comments/ suggestions

Thanks

Default Re: Subaru Forester 2014 XS versus 2013 Land Rover Freelander 2

hello and welcome

my vote is for freelander2

2000 Ford Courier DC 2.5TD 4x4
    2009 Fiat 500
    2001 Merc C200K
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 manual

Forester vs Freelander? In my opinion the Forester is the best 4x4xfar. In this case the Freelander is no match!

Welcome Dutch Kid you'll get some good advice here!

Hi there,
    I would go for the Freelander.
    I have never driven the Forester.
    However the Freelander is a very capable off roader and and in some respects over engineered, (read this as strong and sturdy).

Regardst
    Madgadd

2013 Toyota Prado 4.0 VX

Quote Originally Posted by HW Short View Post
    Forester vs Freelander? In my opinion the Forester is the best 4x4xfar. In this case the Freelander is no match!
    I am genuinely interested in your reason(s) for this statement. We had two Foresters and I don't rate them as off roaders by any means. My Volvo XC60 was a better off roader.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

My wife had a choice between a Forester and FL2 in 2012. We test drove the Forrester first, and thought it was nice, an appropriate word. When we climbed into the FL, she said she wants it, before starting the car. The interior was just so much better. Once we started driving, the choice was confirmed.

She's still in love with it, over 250k km later. We have taken it on soft off-road destinations, like sections on the west coast. And it certainly is very capable off-road. It breezed through sections where I would have needed difflock in the Defender. Ground clearance limits you where you can go, and so will the Forester. A couple of friends have Foresters, and they are also very happy. I guess they have not driven in FLs yet

Not sure which one will be better off-road? I suggest you test drive each one and go with the one which grabs your fancy. Both are good.

I have a 2013 Freelander 2 SE SD4, and my only reservation about it is the ground clearance, especially at the back when loaded. Of course, the same would apply to the Subaru Forester.

Apart from that the FL2 is a great vehicle, and is certainly very good off-road, barring the ground clearance issue, especially on thick, loose sand with a high "middel-mannetjie".

It is economical, and is quite robust.

I used to go off-road with it quite often, but now have a Discovery 4 that I use for that purpose, as it has much higher ground clearance, full 4WD, and low range.

Just ask if you have specific questions about the FL2.
    Discovery 1 1996 V8i (Sold, owned for 20 years); Freelander 2 2013 SD4 SE; Discovery 4 2014 SDV6 SE; Bushlapa Boskriek

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    I am genuinely interested in your reason(s) for this statement. We had two Foresters and I don't rate them as off roaders by any means. My Volvo XC60 was a better off roader.
    Hi Francois, I was responding to the question, which was about the Freelander vs the Forester. No other marque was mentioned in the question. Having owned a Forester 2.5XS, and having a few friends with the Freelander 2, in my opinion the Forester is the better vehicle. My wife and I enjoy long-range touring, staying off the beaten track as often as we can. We are both historians, and most of our trips are concerned with field research. The go-to vehicle has always been our Solihull-built 110 Defender 2.5Tdi stationwagon, but after buying the Forester we found that, as we were planning our trips, we had to weigh the Defender against the Forester to consider which vehicle to use. For us it was not an apples vs apples comparison, and we did not use the Forester for what it was not designed for. The main limitation of the Forester was its 60-litre fuel tank, which obviously had a serious implication on fuel range. But as time progressed we found that the Forester became the go-to vehicle, with the Defender reserved for the longer-range serious trips. In addition, I was involved in off-road rallying, in which case we often used the Forester to recover broken-down off-road rally vehicles far from what can be described as a decent road. Yes, the ground clearance does not compare with a serious offroader; however, careful driving and route selection ensured that we seldom had a problem. We now drive a G300 Professional, and are in the process of buying a second car - the Forester now passed on to our son who is a student at university. I would not mind to get another normally-aspirated Forester, because our previous one served as so well. Let me add that not one of our friends driving Freelanders retained their vehicles, albeit for different reasons, but mostly related to reliability. Regards!
    Last edited by HW Short; 2019/05/06 at 10:37 PM.

I will definitely be following this thread, as I am in exactly the same situation and looking to upgrade to one of the 2. My only concern thus far with the Forester is size, as I think the Freelander will have more space in.

I believe there is lift kits available for both, so that should solve the ground clearance issue. I think both vehicles are very underrated off-road, and those that have used it off-road will be able to tell you how well they are. Even though they don't have low-range, all the new technology allows them to perform very well off-road.

Looking forward to hear everyone's feedback on both.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by RasMan View Post
    I will definitely be following this thread, as I am in exactly the same situation and looking to upgrade to one of the 2. My only concern thus far with the Forester is size, as I think the Freelander will have more space in.

I believe there is lift kits available for both, so that should solve the ground clearance issue. I think both vehicles are very underrated off-road, and those that have used it off-road will be able to tell you how well they are. Even though they don't have low-range, all the new technology allows them to perform very well off-road.

Looking forward to hear everyone's feedback on both.

Regards
    Hi RasMan, allow me to make a comment re the low-range selection. I am inclined to think that as South Africans we do not give adequate attention to the difference between "four-wheel-drive" and "all-wheel drive". The Forester is an example of the latter. It is primarily designed as an all-weather vehicle for the Northern Hemisphere, where drivers have to contend with snow and ice conditions for the larger part of the year. It is for this reason that all-wheel drive vehicles have a number of electronic gadgets to control their ride under these adverse conditions. Many years ago Subaru added low-range to its non-aspirated Forester manual models, as part of this driving in ice and snow. As South Africans we compare the low-range of the Forester to the low-range of hard-core off road vehicles, which it is not. The design concept is totally different. I am sure there are persons on this 4x4 Community site much more qualified to explain the difference. However, what it means is that the low-range on the Forester can be used well under specific conditions, as long as the driver understands its limitations. Let me provide an example: going up the Swartberg Pass from Calitzdorp to Prince Albert, I intentionally decided to use only 3rd gear, alternating between high- and low-range and using the low-down torque of the engine to get us over the Groot Swartberge. The car exceeded my expectations in this regard. I am not sure whether any of the new Foresters still offer the low-range option, but, if so, I will definitely recommend this.

Thanks for the inputs everyone so at the end of the day it came down to personal preference and sitting in the FL 2 is awesome, and it looks better than a Forester. Iím hoping it doesnít bit me in the backside down the line, but from everything Iíve heard the FL2 is quite reliable (much more so than the FL1 or Discovery).

Having owned a FL2 TD4 for 4 years and 65k miles (UK) I can honestly say it's the best and most reliable vehicle I have owned with reliability comparable to a Honda civic diesel.

Sure in the UK I don't really go off-road in the same sense as in South Africa, but what little I have done plus plenty of snow driving, apart from ground clearance, I have been very impressed. You well probably have ground clearance issues with the forester as well.

FL 2 I believe is the best and most reliable vehicle to get the landrover badge, very well built, reliable, great image, economical to run.

Forester isn't in the same league as the Freelander.

Go drive both. You will see what I mean. The ride in the Freelander is up there with cars costing a helluva lot more. They are also economical and reliable.
    Current: 2013 Honda Insight Hybrid CVT
    Ex:
    2005 Volvo XC70 2.5T Geartronic

SWAMBO: 2011 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Geartronic

Quote Originally Posted by Kix View Post
    Forester isn't in the same league as the Freelander.

Go drive both. You will see what I mean. The ride in the Freelander is up there with cars costing a helluva lot more. They are also economical and reliable.
    Forester's have a very nice drive and I would take a Forester over a Freelander on a dirt road any day
    And to be honest reliability is also good on all Subaru's

Newer models is winning awards on economy as well

The older Forester's had less fancy interior add ons which some people need

Go test drive both let the car sell itself
    Last edited by Veneficus; 2019/05/22 at 11:01 AM.
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt