Wrnd - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Wrnd

Default Re: Wrnd

Quote Originally Posted by Franna 4x4 View Post
    I am using WRND that i made the battery-box myself. Working great.
    Goeie plan, ek gaan dit ook so doen om alles bietjie te beskerm
    2017 Hilux 2.4 SRX D/C 4x4 2012 Cross Polo [mamma s'n]

http://travel.webshots.com/album/558867451ncpSPZ

Quote Originally Posted by Franna 4x4 View Post
    I am using WRND that i made the battery-box myself. Working great.
    Baie netjies hoor!!

Toyota D4D Legend 45
    Triton Clubcab 2x4 2.5 DID
    Bushlapa Vlooi 652

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptein Jack View Post
    At what volts, does the WRND cut out?
    What do you mean by "cut out"?

Stop charging from main battery ?

Start float charge?

Stop powering direct attached devices?

"The WRND dual battery charger uses the starting or primary battery of the vehicle to charge the secondary utility battery via its internal DC to DC converter when the engine is running. The secondary battery will be charged to 14.4V even if the alternator only supplies 13.5V or even less. Once the battery has charged to 14.4V the charger will relax and float the battery at 13.7V. If the engine is turned off charging will stop once the primary battery settles at 12.8V. At this time the WDB1220B will start charging the secondary battery from a solar panel if available. Charging from a PV panel is done using MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracking) technology to ensure optimal throughput from the panel to the battery.

Current is electronically limited to 20A which allows for much simpler installation in terms of wiring. We recommend placing the unit close to the secondary battery and using 4mm2 wire in most instances. Solder lugs to wire ends for secure connections.

Please contact us for more information or if you have any questions. Contact info on the right hand side above.

Parameters:

Primary battery voltage for charging: 12.5V - 14.5V

Sec battery Boost voltage: 14.4V

Sec battery Float voltage: 13.7V

Max charge current: 20A

Solar input voltage: 12V - 40V (recommendation: use 12V or 24V panel 50W - 250W)

Ultra low power standby mode: 12.5V (primary battery voltage if no solar input)

Standby mode current draw: >0.005A"
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

As an observation and based on my experience ....

I use two WRND units, one in the back of the Hilux where my 150AH Lead Crystal is located. A 150W panel on the canopy roof and this combo works like a dream with my 90L NL Twin.

I have twice stood for a week without having to start the bakkie, albeit, it needs sun tho running from solar only. Both instances there were very little shade, otherwise I could unlock the panel and move that in the sun whilst the bakkie and NL is in the shade.

The second is mounted in the FJ’s engine bay, as per the spec sheet this is allowed. My secondary battery is also in the engine bay, a 105AH Lead Acid.

When we did the Rust de Winter mountain trail a few months ago the WRND on both days stopped charging the secondary, and it was not fully charged.

It was hectic hot at around 35 degrees and we did hours of slow crawling, thus little airflow. I suspect the cutout is to protect itself.

Be aware of the above. I would not install the WRND in the engine bay if you have a different option.
    Dirk Theron
    Land Cruiser FJ
    Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4
    BL865 Ratel4
    Life’s a journey, enjoy the ride

By cut-out I mean, if the aux batts drop below a certain level, does the Wrdn cut power to the fridges to protect the batteries?

Toyota D4D Legend 45
    Bushlapa Vlooi 652

If the primary battery falls below 12.8 it disconnects the supply to the aux battery.

By cut-out I mean, if the aux batts drop below a certain level, does the Wrdn cut power to the fridges to protect the batteries?
    Edit. I was confusing different units. The WRND Dc-DC does not have an Aux low battery protection cut out.
    Last edited by SAND; 2019/12/24 at 06:23 AM.

Thank you.

Toyota D4D Legend 45
    Bushlapa Vlooi 652

No.

The fridge itself should switch off if the aux battery soc becomes critically low.
    Also the inverter.
    I know that some of the older model Engel fridges do not have this feature, but pretty much all modern dc equipment does.

Edit: The equipment is connected to the aux battery, not to the charge controller.
    Last edited by Lxv; 2019/12/23 at 08:04 PM.

It’s wise to add a battery protect to your circuit, then you at least know your battery will never get damaged:

https://www.victronenergy.com/batter...attery-protect

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    "If the engine is turned off charging will stop once the primary battery settles at 12.8V. "

The red light stays on for a couple of minutes, after the vehicle is switched off, untill the battery's volts setels.

The blue light should not come on.

If a 220v charger is connected to the main battery the blue light might come on.
    I agree, the blue light should not come on with the engine off.
    The WRND has 3 status lights:
    Red = float
    Green = charging from solar
    Blue = charging from alternator

Quote Originally Posted by DCTheron View Post
    As an observation and based on my experience ....

I use two WRND units, one in the back of the Hilux where my 150AH Lead Crystal is located. A 150W panel on the canopy roof and this combo works like a dream with my 90L NL Twin.

I have twice stood for a week without having to start the bakkie, albeit, it needs sun tho running from solar only. Both instances there were very little shade, otherwise I could unlock the panel and move that in the sun whilst the bakkie and NL is in the shade.

The second is mounted in the FJ’s engine bay, as per the spec sheet this is allowed. My secondary battery is also in the engine bay, a 105AH Lead Acid.

When we did the Rust de Winter mountain trail a few months ago the WRND on both days stopped charging the secondary, and it was not fully charged.

It was hectic hot at around 35 degrees and we did hours of slow crawling, thus little airflow. I suspect the cutout is to protect itself.

Be aware of the above. I would not install the WRND in the engine bay if you have a different option.

Good advice

[QUOTE=Lxv;4293406]No.

The fridge itself should switch off if the aux battery soc becomes critically low.
    Also the inverter.
    I know that some of the older model Engel fridges do not have this feature, but pretty much all modern dc equipment does.

Edit: The equipment is connected to the aux battery, not to the charge controller.[/QUOTE

Ok. I dont know of any Engel fridge that has a cut off switch when the aux batts drop below a certain voltage.

It was stated early on that the WRND does cut power to the fridges when the aux batts go below 11.8v.

If you connect directly to the aux battery, and your or mine in this case two Engel fridges will kill the batts, thats why I also think it is better to connect them to the aux batts ports on the WRND, so that if the aux batts go down to 11.8, the WRDN will cut any supply to the fridges, protecting the aux batts..

Well that is how I now understand it.

Toyota D4D Legend 45
    Bushlapa Vlooi 652

I'm a bit dof when it comes to electronics, I don't understand your setup.

Your two Aux battery wires on the charger is to charge your aux battery right?
    so you have

Power in, altinator 12v
    Solar 12v
    power out (load, aux battery charging)

Now if you connect to aux battery and to you fridge, isn't your fridge just connected to the auxiliary battery?

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

Quote Originally Posted by Chris8d View Post
    I'm a bit dof when it comes to electronics, I don't understand your setup.

Your two Aux battery wires on the charger is to charge your aux battery right?
    so you have

Power in, altinator 12v
    Solar 12v
    power out (load, aux battery charging)

Now if you connect to aux battery and to you fridge, isn't your fridge just connected to the auxiliary battery?
    Yes that is correct, my fridges are connected to the same ports as the aux ports on the WRND, thus if the aux batts get to 11.8, I would assume that the WRND, then cuts off the aux port, so that no power is taken via the aux batt ports, if I connect directly to the batts, the fridges will deplete the aux batts.

Toyota D4D Legend 45
    Bushlapa Vlooi 652

I have also tried to get hold of the manufacturer of the WRND, but no success, probably on leave..

Whether my connections are good or not, I actually don't know.

Toyota D4D Legend 45
    Bushlapa Vlooi 652

[QUOTE=Kaptein Jack;4293452]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lxv View Post
    No.

Also the inverter.

Edit: The equipment is connected to the aux battery, not to the charge controller.[/QUOTE

Ok. I dont know of any Engel fridge that has a cut off switch when the aux batts drop below a certain voltage.

It was stated early on that the WRND does cut power to the fridges when the aux batts go below 11.8v.

If you connect directly to the aux battery, and your or mine in this case two Engel fridges will kill the batts, thats why I also think it is better to connect them to the aux batts ports on the WRND, so that if the aux batts go down to 11.8, the WRDN will cut any supply to the fridges, protecting the aux batts..

Well that is how I now understand it.

I'm just following the manufacturer's (WRND) wiring diagram, see below.

I would question the wisdom of connecting fridges and the like directly to to the charge controller instead of the aux battery. If the WRND unit were to fail in this configuration, I suspect that the warranty would be void.

To protect the batteries, my Snomaster switches off if the aux battery soc is critically low (can't comment on Engel), as does my inverter and I wouldn't install anything that doesn't have this feature.
    Attached Images Attached Images

.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The problem is that the wiring diagram does not show where to connect the fridges.

In the WRND notes does it also not state if it does cut off at a given low voltage.

So yes, I am unsure

Toyota D4D Legend 45
    Bushlapa Vlooi 652

The problem is that the wiring diagram does not show where to connect the fridges.

In the WRND notes does it also not state if it does cut off at a given low voltage.

So yes, I am unsure

The wiring diagram is for the WRND charge controller.
    Fridges and anything else are connected to the aux battery!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast